HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

First to go?

Old
11-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Guy

vCash: 500
Chip is reporting Conboy is on waivers now.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:24 AM
GoCanes2013

Wonder if it was my 'expirement' that doomed him?

:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANES View Post
Chip is reporting Conboy is on waivers now.

GoCanes2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:28 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiRuutu View Post
San Jose's top guys:

Marleau 5.03
Setoguchi 4.41
Heatley 3.88
Ferreiero 3.69
Thornton 3.55
Couture 2.85

Bottom Guys:

Shelley -6.95
Staubitz -.442
McLaren -.100

Nichols, Murray, Clowe and Huskins are their lowest 'regulars'

The whole point of my expirement was to value what the guys do during the time they're on the ice. "Quality for time played" - to see if there might be some shifting to reward quality on-ice time.

For our guys, even if they're 4th line, if they're a net negative while they're out there, why not try something/someone else?
Thanks for the San jose numbers. It really make the case that noone on this team is playing well especially the top 6. however it also points out that defensmen are always going to be in the lower half because of the nature of the position. I also think it shows that 4th liners, by nature of the position they find themsleves in games, will more often than not have low numbers. If you think about it, everytime the 4th line plays on the road, they play against a top 2 line. And with their minutes limited it doesnt take much to skew the results.

However I think the experiment is really enlightening about the play of the top 9 and maybe more specifically the top 6.

Top Totals just for comparison
Marleau 5.03 Sutter 2.75
Setoguchi 4.41 Jokinen 2.55
Heatley 3.88 Whitney 2.47
Ferreiero 3.69 Walker 2.39
Thornton 3.55 Cullen 2.34
Couture 2.85 Ruutu 2.29

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I don't think Alberts has played bad at all this year... He's has a few bad games, but overall, I think he's played very well

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 10:49 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
For those who have yet to see it on the Trade Rumors board, there is an interesting one floating around regarding Chicago possibly being interested in Matt Cullen. We may be able to get something decent based on Chicago being in big time need of a 2nd line center with Bolland being out 3-4 months, so they may have to give something decent to get something decent, maybe even overpay a tad. Then again, two desperate teams, a deal may be able to be worked out well for both sides.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=336619

Quote:
It's believed, in fact, that general manager Stan Bowman is out there looking for a center - with multiple sources suggesting Carolina's Matt Cullen is somebody on the Hawks' radar.

The Hurricanes are off to a 2-12-4 start and a shake-up could be coming.

Cullen fits what the Hawks might be looking for - a responsible player with an offensive upside who does not come saddled with a long-term contract.

The 32-year-old Cullen has a $2.875 million cap hit and will be an unrestricted free agent after the season.

I'd be interested in former 7th overall pick Jack Skille, who has never really blossomed in Chicago's organization, he is only 22 and has put up decent numbers in the AHL. It would give us a solid potential top 9 guy at RW. I really think if he were given an opportunity in another organization, he could possibly come to form. Especially to add him with the likes of our other prospects making the jump this year and next. Adding any young guy with solid potential or a higher pick is fine with me for our UFA's.

Also, Billy Sweatt, a 2nd round pick in 2007 is an interesting option if they would part with him, he's having a great year at Colorado College (NCAA).

And for what it's worth, Pierre LeBrun said on Satellite Hotstove during the intermission of the Leafs/Flames game that in the next couple weeks if we don't make any progress you'll likely see us placing some of the older guys on waivers in order to try and make room for some of our young guys.

Last edited by Guerzy: 11-14-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:35 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Tallon and Rutherford have a strong working relationship. It wouldn't shock me to see him go back to the well.

The problem, from a Hawks standpoint, is that they're going to need to clear space in any deal to take on as substantial of a contract as Cullen has. The key though is that he is essentially an early rental as Bolland is hurt for a long time. That actually inflates his value to a degree. There aren't many "rentals" available right now as many teams are either happy where they are or understanding of where they are.

That means the focus moves somewhat from players in the Hawks system to players on the Hawks roster.

Where does that leave us?

Andrew Ladd and Cam Barker. I would imagine that for say.... Cullen and a 2nd round pick (which will likely be in the early 30's), one of the two could be had.

Keith, Seabrook, and Campbell *WTF contract*, are the three defensemen that Chicago can ill afford to lose. Barker, while young and talented, is the most contractually flexible mover that will not kill them to lose long term. With Hjalmarsson in the pipe, it may just be a matter of time.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:53 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Cam Barker would be a perfect addition to the Canes roster.

But can we swallow his 3 mil contract?

The length of the contract is pretty good. He is signed for 2 more seasons after this one and he is still an RFA after that.

I question the amount of money we'd have to pay him.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:56 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

With Bolland's contract being 3.375 and being placed on the LTIR, it would accomodate Cullen and his salary (2.875). Being that Bolland is out 3-4 months (Feb/Mar), they would likely be ok to not deal Barker or even Ladd at this current time. By the time Bolland returns the season is almost over and his remaining salary wouldn't effect the numbers as much. They could likely deal with that when the time comes.

Also, with Tallon no longer the GM, i'm not sure how first hand the relationship would be based on past transactions. Not sure the JR/Tallon relationship comes into play much here. There may be a comfort level there between the organizations, but it was pretty ugly seeing how things were dealt with Tallon so I doubt he is going to have much influence on anything.

I've always been a Cam Barker fan, if we could somehow land him, i'd be thrilled.

Last edited by Guerzy: 11-15-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Old
11-15-2009, 01:12 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I am not really familiar with the intricacies of how injured reserve and the salary cap play, but I would imagine that shutting Bolland down would be a step too far in regards to ensuring that he is unable to come back this season. I haven't really been following how long he is going to be out of commission, but I would think it would be unwise to not only rule him out physically but rule him out financially from coming back to join the roster.

As for the Tallon/Rutherford thing that was a brain fart on my end. I was under the impression he was still in the hot seat there.

My point regarding a trade that sends away veteran talent as of today, November 15th, is that JR believes we're still a hot streak away from being right back in the thick of things and that means that a concession trade will not be made. He hasn't ever made one before, and it would shock me if he started now. Even with the worst start we've ever had. Perhaps ideally, we'd trade Cullen for only future returns but realistically it's more likely we'll make a deal like the Eaves/Corvo for Commodore/Stillman variety. A move that tips its hand towards next season, but also does not rule out the possibility that our team could come back into the mix.

When I look at trades, I try to see the organizational domino effect that it would have for both squads. For Carolina in particular, trading away Cullen in a deal centered around Barker as the return would allow for a really positive wave of good transactions. You take Cullen away and insert Barker and you have not only created a place in the lineup for Boychuk, but you have created a surplus at defense with another expiring contract in Joe Corvo. So now, you can move Boychuk into the center spot and use Joe Corvo to address other needs in the system and not miss a beat on the powerplay as by all accounts Barker is a superior player there. Additionally, it changes up the mix on the blueline between puck movers and body movers.

In regards to salary, a trade for a player like Barker would also allow us to replace Corvo's production offensively and free us up to use the money left on a more defensive option in free agency.

A trade like that could set us up for something like this next year:

***** - Staal - Ruutu
Jokinen - Boychuk - Cole
Samsonov - Brind'Amour - Sutter
Kostopoulos - ***** - *****

Pitkanen - *****
Barker - Gleason
Alberts - McBain

Ward
Peters

For the unfilled spots, we could either promote from within with Bowman, Samson, Chaput, Blanchard, Paradis, etc. or we could fill them via free agency or ideally the draft for that top line LW position custom fit for Taylor Hall.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 02:38 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Kings fan here - any rumblings over there about Maurice getting let go soon? I can't imagine he will have a job much longer....I keep waiting to see it on TSN.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Great points Vagrant and I definitely agree with you. A trade of that variety would likely work out for both teams quite well. Especially since the word is Toews and Kane are set to sign new long term deals, and they also have Keith to re-sign, all top priorities. I don't think they have a choice in the matter, they're going to need room to accomodate those big salaries so moving a salary somewhere along the line has to come into play before next season anyway. Not to mention Andrew Ladd is due. They have no big contracts set to come off the books other than John Madden (2.75) and I don't know how many teams will line up for Huet at close to 6 million, likely none. It'll be interesting to see what Chicago does.

I'm not 100% sure about the placing a player on the IR/LTIR, but I believe, and someone correct me if I am wrong, that a team (Chicago in this instance) could place Bolland and his 3.375 on the IR/LTIR which would knock his salary off the cap, allowing them the flexibility they would need to accomodate a move, Cullen (2.875) in this case. When the time comes 3-4 months from now (Feb/Mar) when Bolland is ready to return, it is near the end of the season and there wouldn't be much left on the contracts, making it easier to fit them into the cap when they activate him. They may have to move a body to clear a tad bit of room but come 3-4 months from now when the regular season is nearing the end, there wouldn't be much left on those deals. Thats why teams love picking up guys at the deadline that cost 3-4 million, because it doesn't effect them cap wise as the season is almost over and most of the deal is close to being paid. Again, if I am wrong on that, someone feel free to clear it up.

If this is the case then it wouldn't be wise for Chicago to move a player like Barker right now when they could place Bolland on the IR to accomodate Cullen. They could easily keep Barker for their run this season and trade him at the draft or in the offseason. There will most certainly be teams out there ready to give 1st round picks/solid prospects for Barker, who is signed to 2 more seasons after this one at 3 million then still holds RFA status. A great player on a great deal. If the Bolland to the IR can be a move for Chicago, they'd be rather nuts to trade Barker for Cullen at this current time.

Last edited by Guerzy: 11-15-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old
11-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Lyle Richardson from Spectors touches on some possibilities, so it looks as though Bolland to the LTIR is an option.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index....umors&Itemid=4

Quote:
CHICAGO DAILY HERALD: Tim Sassone reports Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman is believed seeking depth at center and multiple sources claim he's eyeing Carolina Hurricanes center Mark Cullen, a responsible two-way center with a $2.875 million salary who's also eligible for UFA status next summer. To absorb his contract the Blackhawks would either have to trade a comparable salary or place center Dave Bolland on LTIR.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Hat tip to GJ Berg. The Hurricanes will want to get younger and faster so they'll want either a roster player, prospect or draft pick. I'd expect Bowman will push to move a prospect or draft pick as Bolland, who had back surgery will be hitting the LTIR list soon.

Old
11-15-2009, 02:54 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

I dont believe LTIR would mean Bolland's season is over. Savard and Lucic were both put on LTIR at the begining of this season and Lucic is already back. The league has final decision if the injury is LTIR worthy

LOL Mark Cullen would be a terrible replacement for Bolland

Old
11-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Quote:
they'll want either a roster player, prospect or draft pick.
Most insightful comment of all time??????????????

11-15-2009, 05:41 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Wild's beat guy, Russo reported 9 scouts in the building today......for whatever that is worth

Old
11-15-2009, 05:50 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
Wild's beat guy, Russo reported 9 scouts in the building today......for whatever that is worth
Surprised there weren't more. Frigin Jimmy and his insistance on having early afternoon games at the same time the majority of NFL games are on.

Yeah, despite the win I'm expecting something relatively minor within the next week or two. Possibly something semi-major if the Hawks go on any kind of slide without a good #2 center. I honestly think our own injury situation is what has held off any kind of minor trades from having already happened.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote