HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

What do you think of 2010 Olympic format?

Old
11-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Dfire

vCash: 500
well if you go by amount of NHL players the US national team would be on Russias and Swedens level or above.

my personal believe is that every country that wants to participate should be allowed to compete. They don't have to be able to compete but they should be allowed to prove it as part of the olympic tournament. - that doesn't exclude qualification.

It would get really unfair though if you started excluding countries based on their projected (not actual) strenght. For you projected strenght equals actual strength. You seem to forget that the actual strenght is determined on the ice.

If you exluded Switzerland you'd have to do the same for Belarus, Germany, Norway, Latvia and Slovakia. Would you really want to see 6 countries competing for 3 medals?

I'm curious about your ideas how the format should be changed. Bear in mind that there is something that is called the olympic spirit.

Dfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfire View Post
well if you go by amount of NHL players the US national team would be on Russias and Swedens level or above.
The US will have about the same chance of making it to the final as Canada, Sweden, Russia, Finland and the Czech`s. Remember to take as large a sample area as possible. In the post Soviet era the US won the `96 WCup and finished 2nd in the `02 OG. Say what you will about the WCup, but beating the Canadians (who are deeply passionate about the WCup) 3 out of 4 times on home ice is a HUGE accomplishment.

Quote:
my personal believe is that every country that wants to participate should be allowed to compete. They don't have to be able to compete but they should be allowed to prove it as part of the olympic tournament. - that doesn't exclude qualification.
I agree that every team should have a chance to make the OG through the qualification process.

Quote:
It would get really unfair though if you started excluding countries based on their projected (not actual) strenght. For you projected strenght equals actual strength. You seem to forget that the actual strenght is determined on the ice.

If you exluded Switzerland you'd have to do the same for Belarus, Germany, Norway, Latvia and Slovakia. Would you really want to see 6 countries competing for 3 medals?
If you read earlier in the thread you would see that I proposed 8 teams, not 6. No matter where you draw the line you are excluding someone, whether you allow 8 or 16 teams.

Quote:
I'm curious about your ideas how the format should be changed. Bear in mind that there is something that is called the olympic spirit.
My suggestions for the format are listed earlier in the thread and thanks for the reminder about the olympic spirit.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 1936 Olympics.gif‎ (51.3 KB, 8 views)

Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 01:19 AM
Dfire

what are you implying with that picture?

Old
11-16-2009, 01:27 AM
Dfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post

If you read earlier in the thread you would see that I proposed 8 teams, not 6. No matter where you draw the line you are excluding someone, whether you allow 8 or 16 teams.
Yeah but Switzerland is among those 8 or are very likely to finish in the top 8 through any form of qualification. I don't get. First you wanted to exclude them because they can't play hockey proven by their lack of NHL players. And now you want them in there.

Old
11-16-2009, 05:14 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
what are you implying with that picture?
Just showing the Olympic spirit German fans shared with the world in 1936.

Old
11-16-2009, 05:18 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Yeah but Switzerland is among those 8 or are very likely to finish in the top 8 through any form of qualification. I don't get. First you wanted to exclude them because they can't play hockey proven by their lack of NHL players. And now you want them in there.
The difference is that by having 8 teams you still give the developing countries a chance to be there while keeping the overall skill level of the tournament very high.

Old
11-16-2009, 05:38 AM
Dfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
Just showing the Olympic spirit German fans shared with the world in 1936.
My question was what are you implying with it? How is it related to the discussion?

Old
11-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
My question was what are you implying with it? How is it related to the discussion?
Because unless you were insinuating I was not honouring the spirit of the Olympics you wouldn't have brought it up in the first place and given the Olympic history of the Nazi's and the East German's I just don't think someone sporting a Germany flag should go there.

Old
11-17-2009, 02:30 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

I'm willing to bet Dfire wasn't born in 1936 and has never been involved in the training of East German athletes.

stv11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 03:48 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
I'm willing to bet Dfire wasn't born in 1936 and has never been involved in the training of East German athletes.
No, but I'm sure he knows the history.

Old
11-17-2009, 06:16 AM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
Why do people even bother with K ?

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote