HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers talking to Montreal about the Kostitsyn bros

Old
11-15-2009, 08:06 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=89832

According to this site he has 9 points in 12 games in Hamilton. Thats still pretty good for a 22 y/o forward who obviously was pretty upset about being sent down.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 08:50 PM
trilobyte

Okay, but something tells me it's how you deal with adversity that counts. I suppose it could be interpreted as Montreal not handling him right, that's always a possibility. I just naturally am wary of a player who chooses to not report, when he has not all that to substantiate why he shouldn't be sent down (not to forget that it is to make him a better player).

As mentioned here, he has been proving himself in Hamilton. I can see he has upside talent wise, that was never in doubt.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 08:59 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I may be in the minority, but i would love to have Andrei Kostitsyn on the Rangers.

He has unquestionable talent.

He would add to the much needed secondary scoring long term.

If we have to take Sergei with him, fine, if he doesn't improve his attitude we can just let him walk at the end of the year.

However... it's ridiculous that this situation has to even occur... we had a much more talented player in Zherdev, and we let him walk over a few extra 100K. And we wouldn't have had to give up assets to keep him around...

Oh well... if we can get Andrei for a good price, do it. Hopefully he can take Tort's constructive criticism well.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 09:38 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I may be in the minority, but i would love to have Andrei Kostitsyn on the Rangers.

I doubt that you are in the minority. He would be a good acquisition. I guess it is just this brother package deal that I wonder about. After all, they aren't the Sedins. So far, Sergei looks like a headcase with a crappy attitude and some real skill.

Old
11-15-2009, 09:45 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
I doubt that you are in the minority. He would be a good acquisition. I guess it is just this brother package deal that I wonder about. After all, they aren't the Sedins. So far, Sergei looks like a headcase with a crappy attitude and some real skill.
Yeah, Sergei has some maturity issues. He has a sense of entitlement that he hasn't earned yet at the NHL level.

But Andrei has had two consecutive 20+ goal seasons in the NHL.

So, he has the ability to be a factor offensively.

If we had to take his brother with him, we could see how he acts with the Rangers organization, and if he still had the maturity issues, we could let him walk.

The question is, how much is Montreal looking for in a deal? I would not like the Rangers to overpay for them... if we didn't want to give a contract to Zherdev... why give up assets for a lesser player? Makes no sense.

I really wish we resigned Zherdev. If he got decent minutes with Torts' system, he would have been outstanding offensively... i mean this team as a whole hasn't a clue defensively... there was no reason to lament the one guy... shoulda woulda coulda... kept Zherdev...

Old
11-15-2009, 10:06 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
The question is, how much is Montreal looking for in a deal?
Who's got the leverage? I kind of think the Habs really want to be rid of these guys. That thing last year with the ties to gangsters (perhaps overblown) did not sit too well with Bob Gainey, I know that.

Old
11-15-2009, 10:17 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
Who's got the leverage? I kind of think the Habs really want to be rid of these guys. That thing last year with the ties to gangsters (perhaps overblown) did not sit too well with Bob Gainey, I know that.
Maybe.

He doesn't have to deal them, but who knows, maybe he wants to.

Taking a look at the NHL roster, not sure who to give up, and i wouldn't ever consider any of:

Kreider
Stepan
Grachev
Werek
McDonagh
Sanguinetti
Sauer

I wouldn't give them up.

So they'd have to take a B-prospect and One of our bad contracts...

Montreal has about 4 mil in cap space.

Maybe:

Rozsival (5 mil) + Parenteau (500K about) = Kostitsyn(s) (about 4.5 mil)

Montreal adds 1.5 mil to the cap. Rangers free up 500K.

That deal would make sense.

Bring up Sanguinetti to replace Rozsival.

Maybe to spice up the deal, we add another B prospect and a late orund draft pick for Max Lapierre to fill in as 3rd line center.

Old
11-15-2009, 10:24 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=89832

According to this site he has 9 points in 12 games in Hamilton. Thats still pretty good for a 22 y/o forward who obviously was pretty upset about being sent down.
This has the makings of what was wrong with acquiring Zherdev...without nearly as much production. Lazy player with a bad attitude, which is why he got sent down to begin with. I believe in 2nd chances, but I hope to god this guy's isn't with the Rangers.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 10:44 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
This has the makings of what was wrong with acquiring Zherdev...without nearly as much production. Lazy player with a bad attitude, which is why he got sent down to begin with. I believe in 2nd chances, but I hope to god this guy's isn't with the Rangers.
The deal from our side would mostly be about Andrei.

Sergei would come with the main acquisition.

Wouldn't expect much from Sergei, but Andrei wouldn't be a bad pickup depending on who we give up.

Old
11-15-2009, 11:52 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Hmmmmmm intresting. Could be a disaster in the making.

Why? It's Slats we are talking about here, we'll probably get both of them for a middle level prospect. Gainey will probably end up throwing in a 1st rounder.

Now if both were free agents, that's when I would worry.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:01 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Buy low. Sergei has a high ceiling, and played with his brother could create a great 2nd PP unit and good scoring depth which we desperately need. This team needs talent.

I always thought Andrei (the older 1) was the one with higher upside. Wouldnt mind taking a chance on them.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:11 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:

He would add to the much needed secondary scoring long term.

If we have to take Sergei with him, fine, if he doesn't improve his attitude we can just let him walk at the end of the year.

However... it's ridiculous that this situation has to even occur... we had a much more talented player in Zherdev, and we let him walk over a few extra 100K. And we wouldn't have had to give up assets to keep him around...
I disagree about the Zherdev comment. When Ak is on his game he is a much more complete forward than Zherdev is. He plays with a lot more grit and is much better at using his speed rather than puck control.
Oh well... if we can get Andrei for a good price, do it. Hopefully he can take Tort's constructive criticism well.

Old
11-16-2009, 12:14 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
I always thought Andrei (the older 1) was the one with higher upside. Wouldnt mind taking a chance on them.
HE was drafted higher than Sergei but Sergei made the NHL earlier in his career(even though he has bounced back and forth since then). Many people thought Sam Gagner made Sergei's stats in juniors but when he made it to the NHL the same year as Gagner people began to think otherwise. Kind of like the Stempniak/Jessiman situation.

Old
11-16-2009, 12:16 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
The way I think about it is this; I would much rather Slats take a chance on SK and AK rather than pay Rissmiller, Voros and Arnason just to have extra depth. Try for the young talent with a little bit of an attitude problem and work on it with him. If it doesnt work out, fine, but it is worth the try to get that talent out of him.

Old
11-16-2009, 12:22 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
There is no good Kostitsyn.

The older one is a floater. No speed or hockey sense. Has a good shot but never uses it. I actually like the younger one better as a player but he has a terrible attitude.
Didn't they just let Zherdev walk?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 03:01 AM
Nemchinov13

When are the K bros become (R)FAs? If not this summer (the very special summer when #71 becomes UFA), then I wouldn't care about them. Although, I want to deal one of Drury/Redden/Roszie so badly. They're just killing the cap, man.

How about we give Montreal garbage with one of the high-priced vets and get the K bros in return? and if they suck, we stick them in the A? Any Montreal fans are out there? Would you guys do this deal?

How about Roszie, Voros and I'll be nice - one of Sauer/Potter for the K bros? At least you get a serviceable defenseman, a decent depth defensive prospect and um... 6'3" 220 lbs of human flesh on skates.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 06:46 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Andrei Kostitsyn is signed for this and next season.$3.25 million cap # and that is also his salary. Sergei is a group II next summer. They are both Don Meehan clients. Sather's buddy. If it wasn't for Meehan,Sergei is playing in the KHL right now. Meehan knows Gainey. You have to figure they have some kind of an agreement about moving Sergei to another NHL organization considering he is playing in the AHL. Andrei has 5 points in 20 games this season and with that contract,Montreal is going to have to take back a contract. They won't get what the Montreal fans feel is equal value in return.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 07:54 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
When are the K bros become (R)FAs? If not this summer (the very special summer when #71 becomes UFA), then I wouldn't care about them. Although, I want to deal one of Drury/Redden/Roszie so badly. They're just killing the cap, man.

#71? Malkin is a UFA this summer?

Andrei is a RFA in 2011, Sergei is a RFA at the end of this season.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 08:18 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Pass.

With the alleged "connections" these kids had last yera in Montreal, I'd stay FAR away from both.

Yes I know, neither was found to be doing anything wrong, but in my opinion, where there is smoke, there is fire and I do not what that here, under and circumstances.

Even if it meant shedding Redden's salary.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Andrei Kostitsyn is signed for this and next season.$3.25 million cap # and that is also his salary. Sergei is a group II next summer. They are both Don Meehan clients. Sather's buddy. If it wasn't for Meehan,Sergei is playing in the KHL right now. Meehan knows Gainey. You have to figure they have some kind of an agreement about moving Sergei to another NHL organization considering he is playing in the AHL. Andrei has 5 points in 20 games this season and with that contract,Montreal is going to have to take back a contract. They won't get what the Montreal fans feel is equal value in return.
How big would the bro's be if they didn't play in MTL or even on the same team?

A 7th round pick and a younger player who have scored 50 pts making 3m per.

Montreal have very little depth on the farm, the attention on the two brothers becomes really big. Like when we had like C Dube or the Ferraro brothers.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:08 AM
blue2noise

Nothing adds to team toughness more than a little mafia presence. Go for it.
Whack Rosie.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:43 AM
RegalRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Redden has been miles better than Marc Staal this season.
Looking at it long-term this might be a good thing. If Staal has some trouble this season adjusting to the new style of play it might mean a discount on the contract we offer him. And in a year when Kovalchuk becomes a free agent we're going to need all the cap room we can find.

Staal will be a tremendous defenseman for years to come. He's still very young(22) and I wouldn't view his troubles so far this season as anything more than an adjustment period. It's easy to forget that Staal is two years younger than Gilroy and only 3 years older than MDZ.

If Rozsival is dealt and Sangs is brought up our defense will be incredibly young but because of the talent level of these kids I really don't see that as a problem. I see it as an opportunity to grow and develop set defensive pairings for years to come.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
#71? Malkin is a UFA this summer?

Andrei is a RFA in 2011, Sergei is a RFA at the end of this season.
Oh, right. I forget. There's 2 71s. Either one would be great.

Since Sergei is a RFA this summer, let's trade Roszie and Voros for him. Then we go out and sign A #71

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
Oh, right. I forget. There's 2 71s. Either one would be great.

Since Sergei is a RFA this summer, let's trade Roszie and Voros for him. Then we go out and sign A #71
I assume you're referring to Kovalchuk, but isn't he #17?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 01:54 PM
94now

No no Ko-bra? You've got to be kidding. Those two + AA at C and we've got a legit second line for a DECADE!!! Anyone ( I am serious) from HFD plus Rozy.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote