HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Malone and Scuderi for Rivet in 2007

Old
11-16-2009, 10:33 AM
WestIslander

vCash: 500
Malone and Scuderi for Rivet in 2007

Before I start, I just want to say that I was and have always been a believer in Bob Gainey and this thread is in no, way, shape or form a another thread wanting him fired, however...

According to Tony Marinaro on the Team 990, in 2007 Ray Shero offered Gainey Malone and Scuderi for Craig Rivet! Gainey said let me think about it and I will call you back, according to Tony, Gainey did not know Scuderi played in the NHL and asked Shero if he is an AHL player in Wilkes-Barre.

This is our GM for you!

As much as I love Gorges and believe in Pacioretty, we could of had Malone and Scuderi.

Last edited by WestIslander: 11-16-2009 at 11:20 AM.
WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Rather have Gorges and Pacioretty. We wouldn't have the money to keep both.

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:36 AM
TankEller*

Scuderi was playing in the AHL 1 year before this trade happened. He wasn't the player he is right now.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Before I start, I just want to say that I was and have always been a believer in Bob Gainey and this thread is in no, way, shape or form a another thread wanting him fired, however...

According to Tony Marinaro on the Team 990, in 2007 Ray Shero offered Gainey Malone and Scuderi for Craig Rivet! Gainey said let me think about it and I will call you back, according to Tony, Gainey did not know Scuderi played in the NHL and asked Shero if he is an AHL player in Wilkes-Barre.

This is our GM for you!

As much as I love Gorges and believe in Pacioretty, we could of had Malone and Scuderi.
Where does marinaro get this stuff, and why is he the only one that knows? I doubt he's more tapped in than other members of the montreal sports media.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:

This is our GM for you!

Didn't you bring this up like a few days ago? I think I'm having a Deja Vu

Dirty Danglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:37 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Wasn't Higgins supposed to be in this deal too?

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:40 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Marinaro is a joke. Every "scoop" out of this guy's mouth has turned out to be complete BS.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:42 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Marinaro is a joke. Every "scoop" out of this guy's mouth has turned out to be complete BS.
hum... Jacques Martin?

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:42 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Not only that, but why even bring this up? That was probably Gainey's best trade here so who cares?

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:43 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
This,
he is a **** disturber, ever since he has been on TV, he creates all sort of crap trying to make a name for himslef.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:44 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
We would. If we had them 2, then we wouldn't have had the money to bring in the worst contract in the league. I could easily live with that!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:52 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
hum... Jacques Martin?
I don't remember him being first with that news but if he was, it would be 1 out of 100.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:54 AM
MathMan

Remember, at that point Scuderi wasn't what he is today, and neither was Higgins. Chris Higgins was seen as a core building block and a potential future captain at the time.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

first off...do you know how many proposals and offers have been made before a trade is completed?
Should we base trades of what ifs? Im sure if you could get information on other teams and what they COULD have got in a trade, they would be much worse than this.

This non-story just reaks of bad taste. I used to like Marinaro, but he is a self-indulgent hack. He rips the french media for defending french players, yet he goes on smut campaigns to ruin people`s names within the organization. Im not sure what he thinks he will gain out of his rants, but its time to move on. last year he was on the anti-carbo campaign, now its gainey and his pro-staff. Worst is that is people actually praise this guy and send him e-mails saying that he should be the next GM. I dont know who is worse the people who praise him or him for reading those e-mails on air. Terrible

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

It was talked about late last week.Look I'm not sure if Gainey really did say that about Scuderi but anyways the point in all of this is I think he made a better move trading Rivet for Gorges and a 1st(Pacioretty)

Malone would have left as a FA and Scuderi in is first year you can ask Penguins fans wasn't that good

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:17 AM
davepeak
Too many pools

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
We would. If we had them 2, then we wouldn't have had the money to bring in the worst contract in the league. I could easily live with that!
We already had Komisarek, how could we bring him in?

davepeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:20 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
But we didn't get Lecavalier anyways.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Fozz

We're much better off with Gorges and Pacs, since both Malone and Scuderi would be have attained UFA status already and would more than likely have signed somewhere else.

Fozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
Yeah, we still have Gorges and Pacioretty, both hopefully for a long time. We probably would have lost Malone and Scuderi as free agents. Assuming they even ever became as good with us as they did with Pittsburgh.

No reason for Gainey to know anything about Scuderi, he was nothing special, just another minor league fringe guy. Not that Marinaro could know anything. But Gainey got the better deal with San Jose, for sure. Kudos Gainey!

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

This is our GM for you!

The trade that was made is much better than the trade that wasn't. Malone has never been that great without Malkin to make him look good, plus both guys would either be gone by UFA or making much more money. As much as Pacioretty's development has stalled the last year, that deal is much superior.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Hermamoud

People only know about Scuderi because of that save he did in the playoffs.

Didn't Marinaro say that the Lecavalier deal was "very close to being done" on the air one day.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Miller Time

I think he ended up with the better deal with what he got...

Gorges has been an absolute steal, and a 1st round pick is a 1st round pick (Max Pac has plenty of time to make it valuable).

At the time Malone had a lot of question marks about his work ethic (if i remember correctly), and Scuderi was a fringe NHLer.

if this rumour is true, it's a good non-move on Gainey's part. though it's tough to understand the part about not-knowing anything about Scuderi. Even if he was a fringe player at the time, he had played over 100 games in the NHL.

I don't get paid a penny, yet I know about almost all the players playing on NHL rosters, and for many teams I have a good idea of who they have in the AHL ready to come up... No excuse for a GM to not be well versed in what the NHL AND AHL rosters of his rivals look like (especially given the resources he has at his disposal... as a GM, shouldn't he have some people on staff who monitor every team in the NHL/AHL/ECHL/KHL/SEL/DEL etc etc, to give him up-to-date reports on what potential players the team should be aware of)

where's the Homework?

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:16 PM
GoodKiwi

Malone sounds sexy!

26G in 70GP last year and on pace for 58G this year.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:24 PM
TinordiandSubban

Hal Gill made Scuderi what he is today.

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:37 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
if we had those 2 we would have already lost them to the salary cap before this season, or at least the off-season.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote