HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

The Glue on this team...

Old
11-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Renbarg

vCash: 500
The Glue on this team...

Is one Frans Nielsen.

I think he would be the biggest loss if he happens to go down for a significant portion of the season. More so then even Streit or Tavares.

He fills out this squad perfectly. When he is in the lineup the other centers fall into place and everyone is playing essentially the role that suits them best, with Frans as the 3rd wing anchor. I think its huge for everyone and allows for a solid four line rotation.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 02:34 PM
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

how many leads have we choked when Doug Weight was in the line up?

It Was 4 to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 03:02 PM
On Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
Is one Frans Nielsen.

I think he would be the biggest loss if he happens to go down for a significant portion of the season. More so then even Streit or Tavares.

He fills out this squad perfectly. When he is in the lineup the other centers fall into place and everyone is playing essentially the role that suits them best, with Frans as the 3rd wing anchor. I think its huge for everyone and allows for a solid four line rotation.
I'm a huge admirer of Frans but I think that is a bit over the top saying that your third line center is more important than your franchise #1 center or your #1 d-man.

Frans has an important role in this team and could be fairly stated that he should / is this team's #2 center until Bailey starts to show the promise that we all hope to see.

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 04:13 PM
VHC

Send a message via AIM to VHC
Quote:
Originally Posted by On Edge View Post
I'm a huge admirer of Frans but I think that is a bit over the top saying that your third line center is more important than your franchise #1 center or your #1 d-man.

Frans has an important role in this team and could be fairly stated that he should / is this team's #2 center until Bailey starts to show the promise that we all hope to see.
I think it's splitting hairs to force Frans or Bailey into a #2 or #3 slot, they're both going to be players and their spots are interchangeable. Really as it is now, we have two second lines and an energy line, which doubles as a checking line. (thompson and park)

I'm of the school of thought that a good team is built around three good centers, and we seem to be taking that road. So whatever way Bailey and Frans fit in there, I'm happy with it.

VHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Toujin

Not to take anything away from The Frans, but I think to say he's the glue that holds the team together miiiight be a bit of an overstatement. IMHO, guys like Weightm, if he ever comes back, and Streit, really are binding forces on this team.

Had you asked me 2 years ago, The Rick, no question. Hopefully he can return to form an be our unofficial captain again

Toujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 08:57 PM
25yearfan

Somewhere around mid Feb it would be good to pull this thread back up.

Not that anybody wants it as their nickname, but my nominee would be....

Kyle "The Glue" Okposo

25yearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Dice on Ice

Frans has been awesome in both ends, but this is going a little overboard.

His contract looks brilliant at this juncture, by the way. Nice job, Garth.

Dice on Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 10:18 PM
KH1

Not to say that Nielsen hasn't been good this season, but I don't know if you could call him "the glue" on this team. I would argue that if Mark Streit ever went down for a significant period of time then the "race" for the #1 pick would end immediately.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 11:34 PM
bringbackziggy

I completely agree and actually made a very similar comment to my dad yesterday lol...take a look at when the team started winning and youll see it coincides with Neilsens return to the lineup

bringbackziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:11 AM
Islesny91

IMO, this team can't afford anyone to go down. If anyone was going to miss significant time whether its Franny, Okie, Streit, Tavares, or anybody else, we just don't have the depth to replace our already thin line-up

Islesny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 02:56 AM
DenGC

I could agree with this. + people have to remember that there is a difference between the best player and the guy who makes everyone els better players (glue).

Its un-doubtedly between Streit and Nielsen. Ill wait until the half-way mark before I make my final decision. But for now its a close race with Streit a wee bit aheard.

DenGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 04:22 AM
Dan-o16

I think Frans has been very good this year... But if we're starting a 'most important skaters' list, it starts with Streit, Okposo, and Tavares.. Then there's a huge drop, then comes Moulsen, Nielsen, Sutton (this year), Hunter, and Weight.. Then there's a really huge drop.

Only the top 3 are truly 'core' players we should hope to see remain Islanders for 5-10 years. It really baffles me that anyone could consider Nielsen more important to the team's success than these guys.

I mean, let's face it, the only aspect of this team that's above average is the power play. And that's mostly the doing of Streit and Tavares, who are probably league-wide elite power play skaters.

I mean, Frans is quick, skilled, and responsible. But when's the last time anyone saw him finish a check or win a battle? Please! Between Nielsen and Bergenheim, who is quick but otherwise the anti-Frans (physical and irresponsible), they make one complete player.

Lastly, I know everybody is still jumping on the Moulsen bandwagon.. But I still strongly believe he won't produce like this without Tavares, which, btw, is nothing against Moulsen. I just think Tavares improves his linemates more than Nielsen.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Last edited by Dan-o16: 11-16-2009 at 04:34 AM.
Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 05:47 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
I think Frans has been very good this year... But if we're starting a 'most important skaters' list, it starts with Streit, Okposo, and Tavares.. JT & KO have been We we
I just think Tavares improves his linemates more than Nielsen.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Id agree with you Dan-o

We lose those 3 ...with our putrid D, wed be right back where we were last year in March.

We lose JT or KO ...it affects our top lines & scoring.(Imagine how many more games we would have lost in regulation or OT without those 2?)

We lose Streit....hes our #1 Dman by default.(Now imagine relying on Witt,Sutton,Hillen,FMV,& Gervais...one of them to fill in for Streit)

Scary isnt it?

11-16-2009, 06:47 AM
Moosie

The team did start to play better when Frans came back, but I can say the same thing about Hunter.

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 06:59 AM
BJo

I always thought DP was the glue on this team. Or is he just made of glue?

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
The team did start to play better when Frans came back, but I can say the same thing about Hunter.
Frans is the man. He's a very good player in all situations, very smart player, and brings much needed speed to the pivot position. A great example of patience being rewarded. If he can stay healthy I see no reason he can't hit 50 points, and with the package he brings, that would be a very valuable contribution. He's not physical, but he works hard and doesn't take shifts off, always skating hard.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:15 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJo View Post
They reglued him again. I hope we don't have to resort to duct tape.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Like Nielsen, but have to side with those who mentioned KO, JT, and Streit as being the actual glue. Not privy to the locker room, but I could see adding Weight to that list. What little tidbits we do hear, he seems to be a good, calming veteran presence in there, regardless of the decline in his play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
They reglued him again. I hope we don't have to resort to duct tape.
DP is the glue, but it's more in reference to broken down horses and the factory they were sent off to...

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:53 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Like Nielsen, but have to side with those who mentioned KO, JT, and Streit as being the actual glue. Not privy to the locker room, but I could see adding Weight to that list. What little tidbits we do hear, he seems to be a good, calming veteran presence in there, regardless of the decline in his play.

DP is the glue, but it's more in reference to broken down horses and the factory they were sent off to...
Good one, sir.

Man I wish they had White Castles out here. Trotts?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote