HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

11/16/09 Has anyone stopped caring?

View Poll Results: Has anyone stopped caring?
Yep, as a fan I have 29 25.66%
The players have 8 7.08%
The coaching staff has 0 0%
No, effort is there still 12 10.62%
No, as I fan I still care 52 46.02%
Other, please explain 12 10.62%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-16-2009, 05:48 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post
as long as the oilers try to land these so called "big fish" the team will remain mediocre.

1 player does not make a team.
Precisely, it is time for this organization to bring in players who know what it takes to win. Stop trying for the home-run, players will come to this team once we establish a winning tradition.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Phaedrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by millax View Post
I really think the Oilers need to bring in more veterans. We need guys who know what it takes to win. It doesn't matter how bad they are as players, we just need them here to give 110% every night and show our young players first hand that talent alone isn't good enough for the NHL.

Bringing in guys like Owen Nolan or Doug Weight. Similar to what we did with Adam Oates.

We need to surround our young players with older veterans who at one time were star players in the league. They can't learn what it takes to score goals from Ethan Moreau or Steve Staios. Right now, there is not a single player who can teach that sort of thing to our players.

I think it is a huge problem with this roster.

I would like to see Owen Nolan on the Oil (I have his Rookie Card - I have always liked him). And he and Stortini can reminisce about the time he schooled ol' Storts.

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 06:09 PM
The Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post
"True fandom" by your definition sounds a lot like being the victim of domestic abuse. Obviously, it's an imperfect parallel and I feel a bit icky making it, but it's the first thing that comes to mind.

Fandom should be a two-way street. You give your team your time and emotional investment, they reward you with success or at least some measure of enjoyment. The Oilers have been failing to live up to their end of the bargain for three years now, so it's entirely reasonable for us as fans to withhold our affections until they get their s**t together and provide us with a product worth cheering for.
Naw your misunderstanding what im feeling.

I am saying that ANYONE, that takes the ""My" team sucks right now, I am going to pick a new team as my favorite"...is a fairweather fan. You guys can call yourselves what you want...doesnt change anything, some bleed copper and blue and some dont. Doesnt matter.

I am not assuming any entitlement from the oilers, I dont think we will hoist a cup this year, nor do I have a HIGH lvl of care...

I am not connecting "care lvl" with "fan lvl", a lot of hardcore leaf fans have stuck with the team, which i respect. Changing teams because yours is in a slump makes you fairweather. If its because this slump lasted years...so be it, but move on. Some people around here cherry pick ONLY positives from other teams and ONLY negatives from the oilers and try to use that as a platform for discussion...obviously flawed.

Talking about getting their **** together...you seem to think there is a switch and its happens overnight. We are coming off illness, ridiculous injury...and you know what we didnt play as bad as some my think yesterday. /shrug

Its all good, bandwagon jumpers are not hard to spot, to each a zone.

The Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 06:22 PM
The Forechecker

I dont feel there is anything wrong with fairweather fans...I should note.

Some people can look at the standings...and pick the number 1 team, and say "thats my new favorite team"...I cant. I am logistically, financially and emotionally invested in this team I grew up with (probably tmi). I dont "change" teams, but my "care" level changes all the time with the Oil.

Obviously its not like that for some.

The Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 06:42 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
I didn't know you had to be a season ticket holder to be a "true fan".

Are you?
I remember you stating that you became disillusioned with the team and gave up your tickets. Just seems inconsistent with the "true blue" and "us" comments. I have never been in a position to afford a luxury item like season tickets.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 06:57 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I remember you stating that you became disillusioned with the team and gave up your tickets. Just seems inconsistent with the "true blue" and "us" comments. I have never been in a position to afford a luxury item like season tickets.
No, I gave up my tickets because I thought post secondary tuition for my sons was a better investment.

While still living in Edmonton, I still bought one or two mini packs every season. But, after 20 seasons of mediocrity, I doubt I would do that now.

I didn't even buy Centre Ice this season. Don't feel I'm missing much.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 07:01 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
No, I gave up my tickets because I thought post secondary tuition for my sons was a better investment.

While still living in Edmonton, I still bought one or two mini packs every season. But, after 20 seasons of mediocrity, I doubt I would do that now.

I didn't even buy Centre Ice this season. Don't feel I'm missing much.
Okey dokey. If you arent even watching the games anymore, then why would you post on the board? Must be the stimulating conversation. Not trying to be a smart ass. Just wondering.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

The only thing I find a little bizarre is the people who trumpet this idea of not 'caring' about the Oilers, and yet are very active on a message board dedicated to the team.

Sort of makes it ring a bit hollow if you ask me.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 08:24 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
The Heatley try looks even more foolish now considering Penner and Smid's play.
That's hindsight talking.

Be honest and think back to when the deal was supposedly done. Were you not excited at the prospect of Penner being moved, given the perception of him at the time?

It worked out for the best, for sure, but at the time, there were very few complaints about letting Penner go.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

I still care alot , but sometimes it is hard. Like right now, injuries hit us.

What I don't care about are the comments of how people don't care, and or post how we're going to end up with a first overall pick. We're better than that.

However, recently I haven't been following games as much. maybe because of the Ridiculous PPV so far this month with other factors.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote