HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Giroux: Center or Wing?

Old
11-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Being honest I do agree that he looked better at center then wing. I know some of you dislike Giroux at center alot but you can tell he was more confortable there then he was at wing. At center, he is able to control the game more, using his play making abilities alot more also.

Heres what I think. You leave him there for accouple more games and see if he can step it up. I dont fully believe in the sophmore slump. Look at Stamkos etc etc. If he doesnt feel right there, you try to move him back to center without messing up the other lines. The best bet of that happening would be when Gagne comes back. I know he will be behind Richards and carter but if he preforms better at center, thats where you use him.
I agree with this mostly. He did look more comfortable at center before.

I like him better at center, but if we want him in the top 6 then it has to be at RW unless Carter is moved.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 04:03 PM
BringBackStevens

As far as lines go I like the lines better as constructed with him on the wing right now, but I did like play from him individually at center.

I don't think its an issue though, he's been playing well. He has been a bit unlucky in the scoring department but he's still playing well in his own end and making some things happen the other way. Its not going to take much for him to catch fire

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 04:13 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
yeah if Gagne were back I would have no problem with giroux at centre with Gagne

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
Am I the only one who really liked Carter on the wing?
I always viewed Carter as playing more like a wing and Giroux as MUCH more of a natural center. I always prefer my playmakers in the middle where they can control the game more and the snipers on the wings where they can fly down the wing and get the goalies moving on one-timers. Not to mention that Carter doesnt hustle like Giroux which is something I prefer in the middle. Not that I think Carter doesnt try, just just takes longer strides and plays more of a potitional defense instead of the max effort type game.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Wing. This is another dumb Stevens move. How can you have three scoring lines with only 6 players that can score with regularity?

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 05:37 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

If there is huge desire to have him at center wouldn't we be better recalling Laliberte and putting him on Carters wing and then putting Briere with Giroux and Powe like we had in last years playoffs?

Hartnell Richards Pyro
JVR Carter Laliberte
Powe Giroux Briere
Carcillo Betts Lappy

I know that Stevens didn't think that Laliberte played well enough to displace anyone, but that was with 2 scoring and 2 checking lines. If we are spreading out the scorers it would be nice if he had Briere to dish to.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:27 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Well, the Giroux back to center experiment looked like a very smart decision tonight, and I definitely have to give Stevens credit as I didn't agree with making that move right now.

Part of me thinks that perhaps Giroux is just more comfortable right now playing with guys like Asham and Powe rather than Hartnell and Richards. I think he probably feels less pressure to perform when playing with the third-liners, and probably spends less time thinking and more time following his own instincts. All conjecture of course, but I think it's likely, and am sure he'll become more comfortable in all situations as he gains more experience.

As far as him actually moving to center right now, I hadn't fully thought it through and wasn't thinking about how we could move someone like Pyorala to the Richards line. I was glad to see Pyo be the one inserted into that spot, as I definitely think he's capable of some nice playmaking and certainly a little bit more point production than we've seen so far.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote