HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Filatov? (UPDATE: Filatov loaned to CSKA Moscow)

Old
11-17-2009, 07:46 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Filatov? (UPDATE: Filatov loaned to CSKA Moscow)

http://grossmisconducthockey.com/200...ong-stinktown/

Filatov being scratched, given 4th line minutes, is leading to him not being happy.

What would it take for the Rangers to acquire him. He is a first line talent and would be a player who could make up for the passing of Cherepanov with his incredible talent.

Thoughts?

Having an Grachev-Anisimov-Filatov line in a few years?

Stepan++?

Bobby Sangs++?

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 07:54 AM
D713B

vCash: 500
I'd love to have him but I don't think the Jackets are ready to give up on him just yet. I think the speculation of tension between him and Hitchcock is a little blown out of proportion at the moment.

Quote:
ďI donít think Filatovís game is going to be awake for a long time. Heís in that adjustment phase right now, that survival phase. He did his job when he got back in the lineup in Edmonton. Thatís why he played again Saturday (in Anaheim). All the things we wanted him to do to be an NHL player, heís tried like crazy to do them. Heís in the lineup now, so hopefully weíre off and running.Ē
They're trying to teach him to be defensively responsible at the NHL level. It's constructive criticism, I don't think they've soured on him.

As far as him returning to Russia I also think that's a fallacy. He's always stated his commitment to playing in the NHL and is apparently sticking to it.

Quote:
What is holding you in America?
When I was 18 I made a decision to play in the NHL. This decision did not come easy. But what is the point of backing off now? It would make more sense if I didnít play well. But everything is going good for me right now across the ocean.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 08:03 AM
NYI94wasaFLUKE9

What would you be willing to give up? Keep in mind Filatov was a top 5 pick and is young and talented.

NYI94wasaFLUKE9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 08:07 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Hitchcock likes his North American players, there's no doubt about that, but I doubt the ownership wants to move a kid they just drafted a year ago.

He's highly touted, but he's never going to get top-six ice time until he shows a commitment to his own zone. I think Gaborik could be a great mentor for him, but I'd be weary of how much we'd have to give up to get him. I think the possibility of him stepping into the lineup and making a difference is relatively slim, but then again, he's probably still better than any other LW we have.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 08:17 AM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI94wasaFLUKE9 View Post
What would you be willing to give up? Keep in mind Filatov was a top 5 pick and is young and talented.
I don't know if we make good trading partners with CBJ. They drafted Filatov with the 6th pick because he fills a need in their system more so than any of the highly touted defense men they passed on. Considering we're in the position to offer defense men more so than forwards at the moment, I don't know if we have what they're looking for if they chose to give up on their first round pick after only one year.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 08:39 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
http://grossmisconducthockey.com/200...ong-stinktown/

Filatov being scratched, given 4th line minutes, is leading to him not being happy.

What would it take for the Rangers to acquire him. He is a first line talent and would be a player who could make up for the passing of Cherepanov with his incredible talent.

Thoughts?

Having an Grachev-Anisimov-Filatov line in a few years?

Stepan++?

Bobby Sangs++?
See, this doesnt excite me too much. Anisimov has played well but is by and large still finding his way in the NHL, Filatov is a bit of an enigma, and Grachev is 19 and hasnt played an NHL game yet.

If we somehow acquired Filatov, maybe this would be great in a few years. But it certainly doesnt get me too excited right now.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 08:56 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
Rookie forward Nikita Filatov, who has struggled to remain in coach Ken Hitchcock’s lineup, might be headed back to Russia, perhaps as soon as this week, according to sources within and beyond the NHL.

Jackets general manager Scott Howson would not comment on a potential agreement allowing the 19-year-old Filatov to return to his former club team, CSKA Moscow. Nothing has been finalized, however, and Filatov and the Blue Jackets are expected to talk again today about the possibility of staying in Columbus.
http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2009/11...o_russia.shtml

EDIT: nvm, that article is mentioned in Yerdon's article.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
When he was drafted I said this guy could either be a 90 point player or another Zherdev. While the jury is still out, I think his value is a little lower than a typical top 5 pick at this point.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 09:15 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I think he could be a good player, if not a great one, and I'd love to have him. That said, why would they move him? I think these early hurdles are a stupid reason to give up on him.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 09:16 AM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
When he was drafted I said this guy could either be a 90 point player or another Zherdev.
Ageed. Hes got a future if he matures faster.

HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 09:28 AM
pwoz

They'd want at least someone like Cally and a high pick.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 09:32 AM
DontStepanMe

I wonder if Girardi, Lisin and a late pick would do?

Then we bring up Heikkinen or Sangs. I know three rookie dmen is dangerous. But its not like Girardi has been playing lights out and he needs a new contract (ie more money) after this season.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I don't like it...I think i'd be happier seeing a guy like Stepan develop into this system. Filatov may be the sexier player, more recognizable name and all. But...I think the club could use a grittier type that can play in the top 6 <--Which is what I hope Stepan will develop into, as opposed to a finesse/goal scorer like Filatov. But that's just my two cents.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Levitate

The guy just isn't physically mature enough yet...Columbus is in a weird situation where they have a player who's not ready for the day in day out grind of the NHL, but who threatens to leave if he doesn't get playing time (or at least hints at it). Filatov just needs time to grow and you can't rush that along.

Columbus also isn't going to trade him for some mediocre defensemen and a late pick, get serious

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
I wonder if Girardi, Lisin and a late pick would do?

Then we bring up Heikkinen or Sangs. I know three rookie dmen is dangerous. But its not like Girardi has been playing lights out and he needs a new contract (ie more money) after this season.
A second pairing defenseman on his best day, and our very own Rico Fata clone??

I doubt it.

Old
11-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Banks3rdLineCenter

I've watched a lot of Blue Jackets games this season and IMO, Filatov's defensive struggles are blown out of proportion. He's been fine defensively and has shown a willingness to play physical. Like Lev said, his body just hasn't matured enough to the point where Hitchcock feels comfortable giving him big minutes.

It's also not as if Filatov is the first player to be given this kind of treatment by Hitchcock. There are some games where the Blue Jackets' line combos look as if he just started pulling names out of a hat. Brassard, who was on fire before his injury last season, has also seen time on the 4th line and an overall reduction in ice time. This is just how Hitch works.

That being said, I don't think their ready to give up on him at this point and rightfully so.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 10:37 AM
beastly115

From what I've heard, the reason Filatov is scratched is because he's just not ready for the NHL. They want to send him down but he's threatened to go to the KHL if they do. Therefore, they scratch him.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 10:44 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
The guy just isn't physically mature enough yet...Columbus is in a weird situation where they have a player who's not ready for the day in day out grind of the NHL, but who threatens to leave if he doesn't get playing time (or at least hints at it). Filatov just needs time to grow and you can't rush that along.

Columbus also isn't going to trade him for some mediocre defensemen and a late pick, get serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
A second pairing defenseman on his best day, and our very own Rico Fata clone??
I doubt it.
Really? Well lets just take a look back at history.

Two offseasons ago we made a trade with Columbus.

at the time: They traded Zherdev, and Fritsche.

Zherdev was a 2x 25+ goal scorer. Young, but expensive. Fritsche was a young throw in as well. some potetial.

We traded: "A second pairing dman on his best day" in Tyutin, especially if you remember how the boards looked at him. he was young, but had a decent price tag to him. And Backman, who was awful, expensive.

Now here we have a young player, in Filatov who was a #5 pick (Zherdev was a #4), who is threatening to leave. This lowers his value. he hasn't played the greatest as of yet, but ooozes talent (remind you of somebody that starts w/ a Z and ends in a herdev).

So Girardi is pretty much the equivalent of tyutin, Lisin who has alot of potential, and a 5th or a 6th round pick, for Filatov would be equal to (if not better) than what the trade for Tyutin was at that time.

It could (probably won't) happen but I don't think my proposal is too far fetched considereing our history of trades w/ them.

Old
11-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I don't like it...I think i'd be happier seeing a guy like Stepan develop into this system. Filatov may be the sexier player, more recognizable name and all. But...I think the club could use a grittier type that can play in the top 6 <--Which is what I hope Stepan will develop into, as opposed to a finesse/goal scorer like Filatov. But that's just my two cents.
Yeah but if you get Filatov without moving Stepan you can have both. To me Both=Better than just one

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 10:51 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
From what I've heard, the reason Filatov is scratched is because he's just not ready for the NHL. They want to send him down but he's threatened to go to the KHL if they do. Therefore, they scratch him.
This. What is he, 175 pounds? That's what he's listed at, probably more like 160. He's physically immature, but immensely talented. Give him 2 years, and he will be lights out.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Really? Well lets just take a look back at history.

Two offseasons ago we made a trade with Columbus.

at the time: They traded Zherdev, and Fritsche.

Zherdev was a 2x 25+ goal scorer. Young, but expensive. Fritsche was a young throw in as well. some potetial.

We traded: "A second pairing dman on his best day" in Tyutin, especially if you remember how the boards looked at him. he was young, but had a decent price tag to him. And Backman, who was awful, expensive.

Now here we have a young player, in Filatov who was a #5 pick (Zherdev was a #4), who is threatening to leave. This lowers his value. he hasn't played the greatest as of yet, but ooozes talent (remind you of somebody that starts w/ a Z and ends in a herdev).

So Girardi is pretty much the equivalent of tyutin, Lisin who has alot of potential, and a 5th or a 6th round pick, for Filatov would be equal to (if not better) than what the trade for Tyutin was at that time.

It could (probably won't) happen but I don't think my proposal is too far fetched considereing our history of trades w/ them.
Tyutin's ceiling is astronomically higher than Girardi's. Lisin is the equivalent of a throw-in in any trade at this point.

Like Lev said, lets get serious. You want to talk about Callahan or maybe Gilroy the other way? Then you'll get your foot into the door.

Old
11-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Levitate

Filatov is also just 1 year removed from being drafted, unlike Zherdev who had, what, 5 years to develop and get better and get into fights with management?

The two aren't comparable at the moment

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 11:05 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Tyutin's ceiling is astronomically higher than Girardi's. Lisin is the equivalent of a throw-in in any trade at this point.

Like Lev said, lets get serious. You want to talk about Callahan or maybe Gilroy the other way? Then you'll get your foot into the door.
While Tyutin's ceiling was higher, his value was on the lower side b/c he was coming of a rough year.

Also take into the fact that it seems that Filatov and Hitchy aren't getting along, as well as the player is threatening to LEAVE for the KHL. that brings his value down some. Especially knowing that he might not be ready for the NHL but if he doesn't play in the NHL he might bolt for the KHL where, realistically you don't know if he is going to return ala Radulov. That does lower his value some.

If the trade was Girardi, Lisin and a 1st I would still do it. Actually if it was Gilroy and a 2nd I would still do it as well. I mean a dman has to be the focal point for us b/c we are stacked with defensive prospects. Sangs and Heikk look to be almost (if not) NHL ready. Sauer could be as well. Then we have Kundratek, and now add to the list Maggio and Klassen who both look to become more serious prospects. And don't forget Williams who could actually pull his head out of his butt and reach potential.

so if Girardi, or gilroy, or Sangs were the focal point of the trade along w/ a pick, and a lesser prospect or player. I would have no problem pulling it. We don't have the room for all the defensive prospects to play w/ the NYR especially since it doesn't look good in getting rid of Rosy or Redden in the near future.

Old
11-17-2009, 11:07 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Filatov is also just 1 year removed from being drafted, unlike Zherdev who had, what, 5 years to develop and get better and get into fights with management?
The two aren't comparable at the moment
it seems that Filatov is starting a fight w/ management right now. Zherdev though put up pretty good #'s on ice. Doesn't that count for something? Filatov hasn't as of yet, and he is threatening to go to the KHL. That doesn't bode well for CLB or his stock.

If Filatov weren't fighting w/ management and everything was fine and dandy, than my proposal would be way to low. But threatening to leave for the KHL if he doesn't play full minutes in the NHL DOES lower your stock, and can sour management real fast. I don't think you are taking that into account.

Old
11-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
While Tyutin's ceiling was higher, his value was on the lower side b/c he was coming of a rough year.

Also take into the fact that it seems that Filatov and Hitchy aren't getting along, as well as the player is threatening to LEAVE for the KHL. that brings his value down some. Especially knowing that he might not be ready for the NHL but if he doesn't play in the NHL he might bolt for the KHL where, realistically you don't know if he is going to return ala Radulov. That does lower his value some.

If the trade was Girardi, Lisin and a 1st I would still do it. Actually if it was Gilroy and a 2nd I would still do it as well. I mean a dman has to be the focal point for us b/c we are stacked with defensive prospects. Sangs and Heikk look to be almost (if not) NHL ready. Sauer could be as well. Then we have Kundratek, and now add to the list Maggio and Klassen who both look to become more serious prospects. And don't forget Williams who could actually pull his head out of his butt and reach potential.

so if Girardi, or gilroy, or Sangs were the focal point of the trade along w/ a pick, and a lesser prospect or player. I would have no problem pulling it. We don't have the room for all the defensive prospects to play w/ the NYR especially since it doesn't look good in getting rid of Rosy or Redden in the near future.
We'll agree to disagree with the package, and Ill leave it at that.

The more pressing question is why would you really want to give up assets for this guy anyway? Hitchcock, a Stanley Cup winning coach, has basically deemed him to be not an NHL player at this time. Are you seriously saying we should give up one of our experienced defenseman + for a guy whose not ready for full-time NHL duty, but will threaten to bolt for Russia if we put him in the minors where he belongs right now? And even if you do hand him a roster spot, what happens when Dubinsky and Drury come back?

No thanks. This is far more trouble than its worth.