HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Waiver Help

Old
11-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Live Breathe Hockey

vCash: 500
Waiver Help

Had a debate with a friend about the waivers and how they work. I'm sure theres threads here somewhere that will answer my question, but I'm hoping someone will be able to give me a quick link for some site where I can answer our debate.

Basically, since Nylander was put on waivers does his cap hit still count against the caps or does it go off the books since he cleared?

i've been trying to google of no success with an answer, so... help anyone?

thanks

Live Breathe Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 02:15 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Breathe Hockey View Post
Had a debate with a friend about the waivers and how they work. I'm sure theres threads here somewhere that will answer my question, but I'm hoping someone will be able to give me a quick link for some site where I can answer our debate.

Basically, since Nylander was put on waivers does his cap hit still count against the caps or does it go off the books since he cleared?

i've been trying to google of no success with an answer, so... help anyone?

thanks
Short answer: His contract does count because they didn't demote him.

Long answer: Players on one-way deals have to be waived to be demoted, but once the player clears and is assigned to the AHL, their cap figure comes off the books until they're called back up.

But to be called back up, you have to clear re-entry, which (if claimed) would mean that the cap-hit would be shared 50/50 by the team that waived the player and the team who claimed him.

Last edited by SK13: 11-16-2009 at 03:02 PM. Reason: fixed for accuracy
SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Finger Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Long answer: Players on one-way deals have to be waived to be demoted, but once the player clears and is assigned to the AHL, their cap figure comes off the books until they're called back up.
The Washington Post blogger (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap...nd-rapids.html) disagrees with you here
Quote:
The 37-year-old, by the way, did not have to clear waivers in order to be sent to Grand Rapids. He also still counts toward towards the Capitals' 23-man roster and his salary still counts against Washington's salary cap.
edit: this happens to be because Nylander's on a conditioning stint. The OP assumed regular assignment so your answer is probably a good one for that question.

Finger Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 03:01 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Post View Post
The Washington Post blogger (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap...nd-rapids.html) disagrees with you here
I looked into it, and while I was correct about the rule, he DOES count against the cap because they didn't demote him to the AHL. This also means that he isn't eligible for re-entry waivers.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 08:35 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
btw

wild card question is was Nylander 35 + when he signed the contract(or when the season started)? if he was it coundts against the cap as well

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
btw

wild card question is was Nylander 35 + when he signed the contract(or when the season started)? if he was it coundts against the cap as well
Pretty sure he was 34 when he signed the deal.

But yes if he was put through waivers to be assigned to the AHL then he would not count towards the cap, but he was just assigned for a conditioning stint, or so it looks.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote