HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Filatov? (UPDATE: Filatov loaned to CSKA Moscow)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-17-2009, 01:31 PM
  #51
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I love that people wanted Zherdev Lite here... he'd have been run out of town before the season was over, simply because he's got amazing talent that'll probably never amount to anything in the NHL, for whatever reason.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 01:32 PM
  #52
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Really? His 32 points in 39 games was good but certainly doesn't mean that he's clearly better than the competition in the AHL.
Nearly a point per game as an 18 year old that has never played a league game in North America? I'd say that's pretty damn good.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 01:32 PM
  #53
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
done done done done done
Yeah, let's get rid of the little leadership we have for a Russian defect.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 01:33 PM
  #54
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Yeah, let's get rid of the little leadership we have for a Russian defect.
How much do you know about this kid?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 01:41 PM
  #55
D713B
Registered User
 
D713B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I love that people wanted Zherdev Lite here... he'd have been run out of town before the season was over, simply because he's got amazing talent that'll probably never amount to anything in the NHL, for whatever reason.
The comparisons between the teenage Zherdev and Filatov start and end with sharing the same first name, being drafted in the first round by the CBJ's and being Russian. While it's all eerily similar that's all they have in common thus far into Nikita's life. For what it's worth, I'd take a shot with a 19 year old Nikolai Zherdev too if I had the opportunity five years ago.


Last edited by D713B: 11-17-2009 at 01:53 PM.
D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 01:45 PM
  #56
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,422
vCash: 50
This is good news for the Rangers... in the sense that many other teams are going to be even more hesitant to draft Russians.

Let's grab some more Grachevs, Anisimovs, and Cherepanovs that drop in the draft due to their nationality.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 01:47 PM
  #57
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Nearly a point per game as an 18 year old that has never played a league game in North America? I'd say that's pretty damn good.
It is pretty damn good, but that doesn't mean he couldn't learn things...like how to not get run over like a little *****, how not to be scared of the bigger players, how to play some semblance of defense...all of those things were problems with Filatov and at least contributed to him not having a consistent roster spot. It wasn't just "lol that fat **** Hitchcock is ruining another euro player!"

For all his talk, Filatov folded pretty damn fast when he didn't get his way

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 01:48 PM
  #58
silverfish
Comfortably Numb
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 14,218
vCash: 500
What would it cost to have this kid skating on Gaborik's left side for the rest of Marian's contract and then some?

Stepan + Girardi + ?

I really think Glen should be all over his Blackberry today.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 01:51 PM
  #59
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,422
vCash: 500
I doubt Columbus is looking to trade him just yet.

Somewhere, Doug MacLean is laughing his ass off

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 01:51 PM
  #60
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Don't want him. The Rangers MUST move in a different direction. We've gone with the Euro teams and failed. 07 Ducks entice anyone besides me and Dagoon??
the more realistic model is the Red Wings model, except we've got a goaltender we can rely on so we can be more aggressive. We're not even close to being the physical team the Ducks are and it'd be difficult to turn in to that team. Gaborik reminds me much more of Datsyuk and/or Zetteberg than he does remind me of Corey Perry or Ryan Getzlaf (or Bobby Ryan...or Kunitz...or Selanne). We've got a supporting cast similar to the Red Wings too... at least I thought we did, I'm beginning to question the work ethic of some (Kotalik, Voros, Brashear, Byers). Callahan and Darren Helm may seriously be long lost brothers or something, their game is exactly the same.

The key questions to ask: Who's going to be our Johan Franzen? Our Niklas Lidstrom(in terms of both leadership AND defensive presence)? If Gaborik's our Datsyuk or Zetteberg, who's his partner in crime? We need someone that's going to have a shot to put up around 30-35 goals on another line.

To a lesser extent: Who's our Brad Stuart(we need someone to go out there and throw some big hits...MDZ is showing potential in that department, but I don't know if he's that guy)? I also wonder, where's our veteran presence past Prospal? Redden needs to be used in a more active role, and Roszival makes me want to vomit.

I don't mean to say we're close to emulating any of the Red Wings success...but the way they build teams is not only the much more realistic way to go for us, but it's proven to be more successful than what the Duck's did in 07 with a lot of big bodies. The Penguins were much more of a finesse team than a tough team I'd say; same can be said for the Senators in '07(although they lost to the Ducks), the Hurricanes, the Oilers...etc.

I'm pretty sure the thought process this off-season was that since we were getting bigger we'd be getting tougher too. Look at the roster, all our d-men are at least 6'0". In fact, Drury, Callahan, and Avery are the only skaters on the roster that are under 6'0".

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 01:53 PM
  #61
silverfish
Comfortably Numb
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 14,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I'm pretty sure the thought process this off-season was that since we were getting bigger we'd be getting tougher too. Look at the roster, all our d-men are at least 6'0". In fact, Drury, Callahan, and Avery are the only skaters on the roster that are under 6'0".
Those two play like they're 6'0" anyway, it's the ones over 6'0" that play like they're 5'5" that we have to worry about.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 01:58 PM
  #62
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
It is pretty damn good, but that doesn't mean he couldn't learn things...like how to not get run over like a little *****, how not to be scared of the bigger players, how to play some semblance of defense...all of those things were problems with Filatov and at least contributed to him not having a consistent roster spot. It wasn't just "lol that fat **** Hitchcock is ruining another euro player!"

For all his talk, Filatov folded pretty damn fast when he didn't get his way
Like I said, I don't think he handled the situation well, but we don't know the whole story.

It's a lot to ask of a kid to make the jump to the AHL in a new country. Look at Anisimov, I remember reading several articles and interviews where he spoke about how difficult it was to adjust to North America since he was basically on his own much of the time. That's a stark contrast to a guy like Grachev who was boarded with a family in Brampton and was surrounded by players who were not only his own age, but typically much smaller then he was.

There's nothing wrong with letting him mature, both mentally and physically, in a situation he's comfortable in.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 02:35 PM
  #63
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,422
vCash: 500
Yeah, there's truth to that...he could have also stuck it out with Columbus and dealt with getting 8 minutes of icetime...used it to get better, used the practices and workout facilities to get better, etc.

Or maybe Columbus wanted to send him back to the KHL, who knows. It's just that when you run your mouth so much about how you're definitely going to leave Russia for the NHL even though you have a contract and you do all this crap and alienate people, then bolt back when things don't exactly go your way...you invite criticism.

I'm probably being too hard on him, but him struggling in the NHL isn't completely out of the blue either

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 03:00 PM
  #64
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Filatov is small, not strong on the puck and has a real problem battling. He needs at least 1-2 more years to fill out and develop his man strength. He projects ideally to be a Selanne type talent and goal scorer but I don't think he's going to get there.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 03:13 PM
  #65
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yeah, there's truth to that...he could have also stuck it out with Columbus and dealt with getting 8 minutes of icetime...used it to get better, used the practices and workout facilities to get better, etc.

Or maybe Columbus wanted to send him back to the KHL, who knows. It's just that when you run your mouth so much about how you're definitely going to leave Russia for the NHL even though you have a contract and you do all this crap and alienate people, then bolt back when things don't exactly go your way...you invite criticism.

I'm probably being too hard on him, but him struggling in the NHL isn't completely out of the blue either
Fair enough, but it's not as if the kid said, "Yeah, I'm playing in the NHL," and then never came over. He gave it a shot, and had some success to boot. He needs to bulk up and get stronger. Both of those things can be done just as well in Russia as they can over here. Let him worry about that, and then come back and do the assimilation thing.

Hitch is a good coach, but I just don't agree with the "Play on the checking line until you figure out the defensive game," mantra.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 03:22 PM
  #66
RS085*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brooklyn/Utica, NY
Posts: 653
vCash: 500
Do we love players with egos around here?

RS085* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 03:23 PM
  #67
RS085*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brooklyn/Utica, NY
Posts: 653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I love that people wanted Zherdev Lite here... he'd have been run out of town before the season was over, simply because he's got amazing talent that'll probably never amount to anything in the NHL, for whatever reason.

Pretty much.

RS085* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 04:05 PM
  #68
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Abingdon, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,555
vCash: 50
I love it, people are turning down getting an 18 year old kid who had more skill in his left pinky then any one on our team last year had in their entire body. We now have a dynamic player in Gaborik, and a getting potential Russian superstar to play with him would be lights out. And now every one is automatically going to think every Russian is going to turn out like Zherdev.

Filatov is a EXTREMELY talented player. You think Zherdev oozed talent? Filatov has twice the talent Zherdev could ever dream of having.

He would instantly raise the talent level of this team. Hes Cherepanov 2.0+++

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 04:07 PM
  #69
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
I love it, people are turning down getting an 18 year old kid who had more skill in his left pinky then any one on our team last year had in their entire body. We now have a dynamic player in Gaborik, and a getting potential Russian superstar to play with him would be lights out. And now every one is automatically going to think every Russian is going to turn out like Zherdev.

Filatov is a EXTREMELY talented player. You think Zherdev oozed talent? Filatov has twice the talent Zherdev could ever dream of having.

He would instantly raise the talent level of this team. Hes Cherepanov 2.0+++
Tell me about Filatov, does he have skill or talent?


Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 05:17 PM
  #70
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Those two play like they're 6'0" anyway, it's the ones over 6'0" that play like they're 5'5" that we have to worry about.
my point was management seemed to go out and try to get players with size

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 05:33 PM
  #71
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,857
vCash: 500
There sure are a lot of Sigmund Freud's around here.

How the hell can anybody possibly tell that Filatov has an ego or is troublesome because he wants to play competitive hockey? Look at what he did in the AHL as a kid.

The KHL is a great move for him. It will enhance his career. I swear if he was a Rangers prospect he'd be called the next Ovechkin or Malkin, but because he wants to play hockey at a high level, he's a malcontent?

Can somebody please furnish me one piece of evidence that shows Filatov has character or work ethic flaws.

Brilliant. Just brilliant.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 05:42 PM
  #72
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 21,863
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
What "loaned" exactly mean? they gave him to a out-of-league team but he can't be traded to a different team?

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 06:11 PM
  #73
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,059
vCash: 500
this conversation is weird.

we have a talented enegmatic russian here now in lisin.

we had the same player with zherdev.

atleast lisin competes and puts forth a solid effort where zherdev looked disinterested many nights.

so now were talking about nik filatov- an undersized, underweight, underachiever who refused to go to the ahl and now plays in russia.

geez..atleast lisin is 6'2 195

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 06:56 PM
  #74
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
this conversation is weird.

we have a talented enegmatic russian here now in lisin.

we had the same player with zherdev.

atleast lisin competes and puts forth a solid effort where zherdev looked disinterested many nights.

so now were talking about nik filatov- an undersized, underweight, underachiever who refused to go to the ahl and now plays in russia.

geez..atleast lisin is 6'2 195
Lisin is not relevant to this conversation. He's nowhere near as talented as Filatov (and five years older than him). I don't see how you draw the line to Zherdev either. We're talking about a super-talented teenager who just needs some time to fill out. Anyway, I don't see us getting him without giving up something substantial and I'm not sure I'd want to do that.

Zil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 07:03 PM
  #75
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
this conversation is weird.

we have a talented enegmatic russian here now in lisin.

we had the same player with zherdev.

atleast lisin competes and puts forth a solid effort where zherdev looked disinterested many nights.

so now were talking about nik filatov- an undersized, underweight, underachiever who refused to go to the ahl and now plays in russia.

geez..atleast lisin is 6'2 195
What's wrong with 2?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.