HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emery?

Old
11-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Opus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Signing Emery to an extension now would be the thing to do. The Flyers could get a much better deal for themselves now than at the end of the season if he keeps up this play. If he keeps it up and they wait, it's going to be an ugly situation for this team's cap.

I, personally, am plenty convinced that Emery is a pretty damn good goalie. And I don't find myself having any significant concerns about his play suddenly dropping off or him blowing up in the locker room or anything. I know you can't really judge a guy by his demeanor in interviews...but he's always so damn calm and relaxed, to a point where it just really makes you feel good about the attitude he has right now. And more importantly, what I think bodes extremely well for the notion that he won't be any kind of cancer in the locker room, is the fact that he clearly has a very real friendship with Carter and some of the other young guys. If he has that quality connection with some teammates, he's not gonna disrespect them, or in turn, the team. I'm willing to bet he was pretty much a loner in Ottawa, and that - along with his injury problems, and his being less mature then, and the heavier coverage he received from the Canadian media - was a recipe for what ended up occurring there.
The mere thought of Emery signing long-term, changes the directional flow of my blood. He just has that effect on me, and I'm manly enough to admit it. Ray Emery is the ****!

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 12:21 PM
IrishSniper87

I'd offer Emery $3.5 for a bunch of years. Think he would take it?

Coburn can take a hike if he wants a dollar over $3, and Parent will likely sign cheap.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 12:35 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I'd offer Emery $3.5 for a bunch of years. Think he would take it?
If we're talking right now, I'd offer less. $3m per for the next 2 years....or maybe $2.5m per for the next 3 years. It may not get it done, but you start there and hopefully get it done without straying too far from those numbers.

But seriously, I wouldn't offer any higher than those numbers...hell, I might offer less. He has only played in what, 16 games? And while I believe he has proved a ton, he technically hasn't proved that much, considering his past, and that it's only been 1/5 of a season. From Emery's standpoint, you should take a deal like the ones I suggested. He's set to make only $1.5m now, and after only 1/5 of the season can set himself up to bank 4 or 5x that over the next 2 or 3 years. That's huge. His season, or even career, could end tomorrow with a terrible injury(yes, I'm knocking on lots of wood)...or a multitude of other issues could cause his job to not be secure by the end of this season. He should take a deal like that and run. And someone should forward everything I'm writing to Holmgren.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Teezax

I think his agent will be trying to break the bank, that's what i'm worried about.
Hopefully Ray realizes we're the team that gave him a second chance in the NHL and signs cheap and for a few years.
Did I mention I have a man crush on Pronger?

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 04:26 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Signing Emery to an extension now would be the thing to do. The Flyers could get a much better deal for themselves now than at the end of the season if he keeps up this play. If he keeps it up and they wait, it's going to be an ugly situation for this team's cap.

I, personally, am plenty convinced that Emery is a pretty damn good goalie. And I don't find myself having any significant concerns about his play suddenly dropping off big time or him blowing up in the locker room or anything. I know you can't really judge a guy by his demeanor in interviews...but he's always so damn calm and relaxed, to a point where it just really makes you feel good about the attitude he has right now. And more importantly, what I think bodes extremely well for the notion that he won't be any kind of cancer in the locker room, is the fact that he clearly has a very real friendship with Carter and some of the other young guys. If he has that quality connection with some teammates, he's not gonna disrespect them, or in turn, the team. I'm willing to bet he was pretty much a loner in Ottawa, and that - along with his injury problems, and his being less mature then, and the heavier coverage he received from the Canadian media - was a recipe for what ended up occurring there.
It's word of mouth, so take it with a grain of salt, but I've heard reports that that was absolutely the case and played a part in the ugliness that unfolded up there.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
It's word of mouth, so take it with a grain of salt, but I've heard reports that that was absolutely the case and played a part in the ugliness that unfolded up there.
That's correct.

Old
11-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Also, it was impossible to tell where the snow ended and the coke* began.

*I am talking, of course, about the delicious soda, mods.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 04:34 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

It really would have been nice if there was some way to work in an option for Emery when he originally signed the contract...

Like, if we like the way he plays this season we would have the option to extend his deal for a previously agreed upon amount over so many years.

Either way, feeling as confident as I do with Emery right now, I'd be willing to give him a pretty lengthy extension. It'd be nice to secure a guy long-term while we wait to see if Eriksson or Morrison pan out.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Also, it was impossible to tell where the snow ended and the coke* began.

*I am talking, of course, about the delicious soda, mods.
Dude, he played in Canada. The snow never stops, hence the need to drive a Hummer.

Old
11-17-2009, 04:39 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I know Spezza is a good friend of his.

and I really wish we had at least a 2 year deal, we have boucher signed longer

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote