HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Poached Panthers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-17-2009, 12:15 PM
  #76
Willard
Kings All The Way
 
Willard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Just Off Highway 1
Posts: 2,508
vCash: 500
Looking at Jack Johnson -- Let's just say first of all that Kings fans are spoiled by Doughty. They forget about, or gloss over, the long multi-year learning curve that practically all young pro defensemen go through.

The mistakes made by Johnson are still the kind that young defensemen make, and that defensemen who commit to be excellent pros sooner or later learn how to get beyond. This is why it's good to pair him with Sean O'Donnell.

Johnson is still on his upward curve. I wouldn't want to trade him at this stage and give his best years away to some other team. Despite this year's bad patches I think JJ's mistakes already have reduced with time, and that he is still emerging and improving as an all-around defenseman.

The guy is not even yet 23 years old. Would other NHL teams want to swipe him from the Kings? Of course they would.

He still needs to work on the efficiency of his transition game and the level of accuracy of his quick decision making about where to go on the ice. These things can definitely improve over time. We can all see the skills he has already.

Comparatively, Doughty is a just rare breed with his intuitive, quick-study understanding of the game at such a young age, and he truly spoils us.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 12:55 PM
  #77
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 10,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Why the divide?
Because Kings fans always need a scapegoat or something to ***** about. And believe me, there has been plenty to ***** about in past years but some of the stuff so far this year is just crazy.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 12:56 PM
  #78
Quattro
Registered User
 
Quattro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 4,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
Looking at Jack Johnson -- Let's just say first of all that Kings fans are spoiled by Doughty. They forget about, or gloss over, the long multi-year learning curve that practically all young pro defensemen go through.

The mistakes made by Johnson are still the kind that young defensemen make, and that defensemen who commit to be excellent pros sooner or later learn how to get beyond. This is why it's good to pair him with Sean O'Donnell.

Johnson is still on his upward curve. I wouldn't want to trade him at this stage and give his best years away to some other team. Despite this year's bad patches I think JJ's mistakes already have reduced with time, and that he is still emerging and improving as an all-around defenseman.

The guy is not even yet 23 years old. Would other NHL teams want to swipe him from the Kings? Of course they would.

He still needs to work on the efficiency of his transition game and the level of accuracy of his quick decision making about where to go on the ice. These things can definitely improve over time. We can all see the skills he has already.

Comparatively, Doughty is a just rare breed with his intuitive, quick-study understanding of the game at such a young age, and he truly spoils us.

All true, however, as good as he is, Doughty gets the rose-colored glasses treatment around here. He makes plenty of blunders that other Kings defensemen would be crucified for.

Quattro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 01:29 PM
  #79
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 10,023
vCash: 500
I'm not going to say that it isn't possible that Jack Johnson and Drew Doughty don't get along but I don't see any evidence to support that. I'd really hope that being that they've played the game for a long time that they realize you can't do it all yourself and that the better they are individually, the better the team will be. I mean really.. what are they like the Step Brothers?

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 01:46 PM
  #80
TonySCV
Moderator
Two Timer!
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
Because Kings fans always need a scapegoat or something to ***** about. And believe me, there has been plenty to ***** about in past years but some of the stuff so far this year is just crazy.
You know what is partly to blame? Fantasy leagues. Years ago before fantasy hockey leagues took hold we were never subjected to such inane banter about players who clearly were outstanding performers on the team but didn't show up positively on the stat sheets. Now it's just automatic - if a player isn't scoring as many points as people thought they would prior to the season, or has a poor +-, then the player is a bust.

I don't know if there's another player on this Kings team that personifies that more than Jack Johnson. Everyone with a brain and two eyes that function can see how many positives he brings to this team, yet he gets beaten up around here by some people because his numbers suck, so therefore he's stinking it up on the team. Justin Williams is another guy that brings it every night, yet you'd think he was incompetent from a fantasy league perspective, and some of that spills into the forums by people who equate his numbers to his on-ice performance. Quick is another example. Average numbers for a goalie yet we've all seen him steal away goals night after night with outstanding saves at key times, yet I find myself having to defend the guy at times because people latch on to his stats and say he's no better than LaBarbera.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 01:47 PM
  #81
DIEHARD the King fan
Registered User
 
DIEHARD the King fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: blueline to slot
Country: United States
Posts: 6,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
Funny, I was starting to think it meant "minus four"

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookKing View Post
True. Love his work out there. Still, soccer was his calling -- where you don't need any hands.
Now I'm ROFLOL

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 02:00 PM
  #82
wabwat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: pasadena, ca.
Posts: 6,755
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
You know what is partly to blame? Fantasy leagues...
i also mentioned this in Hipcheck's Tampa post game thread on LGK.

fantasy leagues and video hockey have become wabwat's bane.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 03:14 PM
  #83
Willard
Kings All The Way
 
Willard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Just Off Highway 1
Posts: 2,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
You know what is partly to blame? Fantasy leagues. Years ago before fantasy hockey leagues took hold we were never subjected to such inane banter about players who clearly were outstanding performers on the team but didn't show up positively on the stat sheets. Now it's just automatic - if a player isn't scoring as many points as people thought they would prior to the season, or has a poor +-, then the player is a bust.

I don't know if there's another player on this Kings team that personifies that more than Jack Johnson. Everyone with a brain and two eyes that function can see how many positives he brings to this team, yet he gets beaten up around here by some people because his numbers suck, so therefore he's stinking it up on the team. Justin Williams is another guy that brings it every night, yet you'd think he was incompetent from a fantasy league perspective, and some of that spills into the forums by people who equate his numbers to his on-ice performance. Quick is another example. Average numbers for a goalie yet we've all seen him steal away goals night after night with outstanding saves at key times, yet I find myself having to defend the guy at times because people latch on to his stats and say he's no better than LaBarbera.

- T
These are all great points. This fantasy/stat-head phenomenon apparently explains this ridiculous post on Kukla's Korner today calling Brad Richardson the NHL's worst current player. Just because Richardson has no points in 21 games and a -7 settles it for the guy who wrote the article.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 03:15 PM
  #84
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 10,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Justin Williams is another guy that brings it every night, yet you'd think he was incompetent from a fantasy league perspective, and some of that spills into the forums by people who equate his numbers to his on-ice performance. Quick is another example. Average numbers for a goalie yet we've all seen him steal away goals night after night with outstanding saves at key times, yet I find myself having to defend the guy at times because people latch on to his stats and say he's no better than LaBarbera.

- T
I agree with you on the Quick part. I only saw the second half of the game last night and I saw him make two huge saves that could've swung the momentum the other way.

The Justin Williams thing just baffles me. The guy was at a PPG clip (good for fantasy owners too) up until a few games ago and is contributing plenty that doesn't show up on the stat page. I just pray that Williams stays healthy and then I'll bump my Patty O poll/thread from last spring.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 03:25 PM
  #85
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
These are all great points. This fantasy/stat-head phenomenon apparently explains this ridiculous post on Kukla's Korner today calling Brad Richardson the NHL's worst current player. Just because Richardson has no points in 21 games and a -7 settles it for the guy who wrote the article.
Yeah, it's unfortunate. Apparently, he can't watch all the games so, he can only rely on his stats to come to an erroneous conclusion. Imo, he shouldn't even blog about who the worst player is. He should just stick to what he actually knows.

Btw, great points Tony!

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 03:41 PM
  #86
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,692
vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I am starting to fear if the Ducks keep playing as poorly as they are, the last thing they need is another top 3 pick >.<

__________________

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 04:12 PM
  #87
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!
 
KopitarFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lost Wages, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 9,648
vCash: 500
Any word on Smyth yet?

If he is out for a couple of weeks, what do you think of a Fro-Kopi-Williams 1st line?

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 04:17 PM
  #88
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,692
vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Any word on Smyth yet?

If he is out for a couple of weeks, what do you think of a Fro-Kopi-Williams 1st line?
That is the likely line as Murray was experimenting with it last night after Smyth got injured. Nobody knows anything yet, Hammond is looking into it today.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 04:47 PM
  #89
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
 
alpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sweden and Slovenia
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 4,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
You know what is partly to blame? Fantasy leagues. Years ago before fantasy hockey leagues took hold we were never subjected to such inane banter about players who clearly were outstanding performers on the team but didn't show up positively on the stat sheets. Now it's just automatic - if a player isn't scoring as many points as people thought they would prior to the season, or has a poor +-, then the player is a bust.

I don't know if there's another player on this Kings team that personifies that more than Jack Johnson. Everyone with a brain and two eyes that function can see how many positives he brings to this team, yet he gets beaten up around here by some people because his numbers suck, so therefore he's stinking it up on the team. Justin Williams is another guy that brings it every night, yet you'd think he was incompetent from a fantasy league perspective, and some of that spills into the forums by people who equate his numbers to his on-ice performance. Quick is another example. Average numbers for a goalie yet we've all seen him steal away goals night after night with outstanding saves at key times, yet I find myself having to defend the guy at times because people latch on to his stats and say he's no better than LaBarbera.

- T
If there was a best of the year post this would be it.

Great words.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 04:55 PM
  #90
not tellin*
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
If there was a best of the year post this would be it.

Great words.


post of the year?

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 04:57 PM
  #91
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
 
alpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sweden and Slovenia
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 4,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
These are all great points. This fantasy/stat-head phenomenon apparently explains this ridiculous post on Kukla's Korner today calling Brad Richardson the NHL's worst current player. Just because Richardson has no points in 21 games and a -7 settles it for the guy who wrote the article.
I think most of these "NHL reporters" look at the stats and game reports only to get their opinion of players on those not so interesting teams such as the Kings. ...because of the Kings history.

And there is little effort to really take a look before making statements such as that about Richardson who is doing a great job out there.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 05:00 PM
  #92
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
 
alpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sweden and Slovenia
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 4,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by not tellin View Post




post of the year?
Que?

Whats wrong? wrong expression or something else, if so get it right and don't try to fool me that you didn't understand what I meant.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 05:17 PM
  #93
TonySCV
Moderator
Two Timer!
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
These are all great points. This fantasy/stat-head phenomenon apparently explains this ridiculous post on Kukla's Korner today calling Brad Richardson the NHL's worst current player. Just because Richardson has no points in 21 games and a -7 settles it for the guy who wrote the article.
Good god. You win for the best example so far.

Looking at the comments and prior blog entries, I'm really surprised this guy is allowed to post on that site at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
i also mentioned this in Hipcheck's Tampa post game thread on LGK.

fantasy leagues and video hockey have become wabwat's bane.
I didn't even think about video hockey perpetuating some of it, but I'm sure that's a factor too.

I'm as big of a stats junkie as anyone (Kings playoff odds: http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/W...fic/Kings.html ), but you are right, people have got to put more effort into analyzing a team than just looking at the box score every night.

On a completely unrelated note, the sooner the Kings can get to 10 games+ over .500, the better I'll feel about the Kings having a shot at the playoffs this season.

- T


Last edited by TonySCV: 11-17-2009 at 05:25 PM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 05:37 PM
  #94
RightKinger
Registered User
 
RightKinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,591
vCash: 500
I think a Frolov-Kopitar-Williams line could be pretty good especially with Kopitars new shot mentality. Frolov and Kopi didn't really work before because they both played playmaker on the same line but Kopi has not been reluctant to shoot the puck this season. As long as Fro does what he does best and Kopi continues to shoot then that line should produce.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 05:52 PM
  #95
Shellz
Registered User
 
Shellz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 17,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
The Kings’ injury updates are not good.

Ryan Smyth will not play tomorrow night and will be out “longer than that, for sure,” according to Terry Murray. Smyth, still officially listed with an upper-body injury, is scheduled to see a team doctor tomorrow for an evaluation. Hopefully we’ll know more after that.

Murray said Rob Scuderi came to the practice facility for treatment this morning but also will not play tomorrow. Murray said he is “progressing, but not ready.”

In Smyth’s absense, Alexander Frolov becomes the first-line left wing, alongside Anze Kopitar and Justin Williams. Murray said he had not yet decided who would skate on Michal Handzus’ left wing.

Blurg.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 06:15 PM
  #96
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year
 
kingsholygrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Derpifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 45,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle121 View Post
Blurg.
Incoming losing streak. I don't think Frolov can cut it on the top line. He holds onto the puck, dare I say, too much.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 06:19 PM
  #97
wabwat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: pasadena, ca.
Posts: 6,755
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Incoming losing streak. I don't think Frolov can cut it on the top line. He holds onto the puck, dare I say, too much.

there are 20-some other players who also have to adapt to this. hanging this on Frolov by singling out his puck possession as a detriment is just plain irresponsible.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 06:27 PM
  #98
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,692
vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I think it will be good for Frolov and the first line, though they lose that gritty presence around and in front of the net... Can't knock it till they are given a legit shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
These are all great points. This fantasy/stat-head phenomenon apparently explains this ridiculous post on Kukla's Korner today calling Brad Richardson the NHL's worst current player. Just because Richardson has no points in 21 games and a -7 settles it for the guy who wrote the article.
Wowzers, that is crazy. Welp, I guess we know what Johnny Utah has been doing on his spare time.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 07:03 PM
  #99
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year
 
kingsholygrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Derpifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 45,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
there are 20-some other players who also have to adapt to this. hanging this on Frolov by singling out his puck possession as a detriment is just plain irresponsible.
Almost every time Frolov has serviced the top line, he's done a subpar job of it for whatever reason. I'm not sure he has the ability or the will to park in front of the net like Smyth did.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 07:22 PM
  #100
TonySCV
Moderator
Two Timer!
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Almost every time Frolov has serviced the top line, he's done a subpar job of it for whatever reason. I'm not sure he has the ability or the will to park in front of the net like Smyth did.
We've seen enough seasons of Frolov to know that he's not Ryan Smyth. We got Smyth for a reason, and it wasn't because the crease needed more company.

Frolov certainly has the ability to shine on the first line. Whether he actually does or not is up to Frolov. This is a great test for him. He has seen what that first line is capable of producing, and Frolov is capable of putting up Smyth's numbers (or better) if he applies himself.

If Frolov plays to his ability, we won't miss Smyth at all while he's out. Personally, I think we'll be missing Smyth in short order. I hope I'm wrong.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.