HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

11/15/09 - Canes vs. Wild - 1:30 - We still suck, but here's a pug pushing a stroller

Old
11-17-2009, 06:53 AM
Denzil
NOLU

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
Ironic really, since the PP sucked mightily while he was here...

Denzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 07:57 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
Answer to the first bolded part is simple - he is talented as posters before me mentioned, and he is relatively unknown to the rest of NHL as I had added.

I know we are all excited about what he brings, but darn... our fan base is so quick to get excited and often to overvalue our own prospects.
Second part first: Fans from *all* teams overvalue their prospects that show a glimmer of stardom...it isn't specific to this sport's fans, this team's fans, or even this posters in this forum. Like the movie says, hope is a good thing, and while it's great to be a voice of reason, there's no reason to let yourself get frustrated over people's enthusiasm.

But ok, if this is *simple*, it should be simple for you to give a rough shut-down strategy. From what I know about him, what is making him successful are hustle and skill, and those aren't things that you can categorically shut down as in the examples you gave, but I'm certainly willing to listen to your prescription.

How do you stop Sutter?

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 08:37 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
How do you stop Sutter?
I hope you don't

I was only trying to provide with another possible reason for Sutter's early success.

Only time will tell how he turns out on a long run. My hopes are for him to become all rounded and established 2nd line center.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Huge surprise to me honestly. I wasn't expecting a finished product at all and really thought he would be a slightly better version of what we saw last year. A 3rd/4th liner with a good defensive game but not much physicality. Good hockey sense and great work ethic, but not enough size for production offensively. Obviously he still isn't one since he's not hitting people the way he did in juniors, but he's far better offensively then I had anticipated even from what I saw in training camp this year. The physicality that was there in juniors will come as he adds another 15-20 lbs, but I'm not expecting him to be another Ruutu or even Cole by any means.

When I did the draft preview for him two years back I thought he would be a good 2nd liner, and that may still prove to be what he turns out to be in his career. An ideal "shut-down" guy but not much more then that. But in no way, shape or form did I expect this kind of offensive output from him until he was in his prime.
Slight misunderstanding. I meant "what was your opinion on Sutter as a finished product."

Your 2nd paragraph answered my question, though. THanks.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote