HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#21 - 11.17.09 | Washington Capitals @ New York Rangers | 7:00 PM - VS. (HD)

Old
11-17-2009, 10:06 PM
mullichicken25

vCash: 500
wow....i've only really skimmed this thread but im seeing some really really negative outlooks here

heres what i saw this game (i was only able to watch the 2nd and third periods) and from what i've read so far you guys are probablly going to disagree with a lot of it

- avery played like avery....it was nice to see, however, he's got no buisness on the powerplay

- staal looked like he picked it up, i saw one bad turn over and a whole lot of great plays

- roszival played his best game (or at least 2 periods) of the season and looked confident and good

- redden continued to be play awesome

- higgins played fantastic, i dont know how anyone could say otherwise

- hank failed to step up and steal us a win...i guess we can't blame him but its very obvious this team was designed around a world class goalie being there to steal some W's....i dont really think he's done that

- i feel like cally should be swapped for Lisin on our top powerplay

- the team actually is missing dubinsky more than i thought he would

- overall a good effort and a game i didn't mind losing.....they got back to basics. they forechecked hard, backchecked hard, took the body, and just came up a little short

despite the fact that we lost, the team looked to me like they took much needed strides to get back on track

there it is...now tear me to pieces for being optimistic after a loss

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 10:11 PM
94now

Tough loss... Rangers played well. I don't think they could play any better.
I don't think Redden misplay cost us. Such breakouts are routine. Gilroy didn't help, although he had to and Lundqvist reminded everyone about that Fedorov's goal.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Rangerfan10,
Callahan and Dubinsky look more and more like mediocre NHLers destined for the third line.
Dubinsky+Callahan are already borderline 2nd/3rd line guys, and neither are at their ceilings.

They're both going to get faster, stronger, and smarter.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 10:41 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The team played like crap tonight. Plain and simple. Sure a few guys played decent games, but overall it was garbage. Such soft play that this team makes mister softee look tough. No one hits. Constantly shying off guys instead of finishing the checks. The only guy I really saw hitting was Avery and on occasion Callahan.

No one clears the net. Look at how when Avery swiped at Varlamov about 4 guys came to attack him. Other teams run Lundqvist and the players just walk away. I don't care who you are or how you normally play, you do not stand for that crap. That's something that players do from the time they are small all the way down to beer leagues. No one messes with your goalie. We have defensemen who just stand there while players stand in front of Lundqvist all day long. What a hock of garbage.

Maybe we need some fans to sit behind the bench to call Tortorella and his team of fairies a bunch of loser pansies. I know that the people sitting down there right now don't. Then again Tortorella may start throwing stuff at them.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 10:44 PM
artilector

Caps fan here..

To me, as to many (most? all?) of you, the Rangers' problem is clearly the triple-Rs -- Redden, Roszival and Rury. Can't expect a team to overcome that much ballast in the form of overpayment. It's a familiar situation for the Caps -- last year we had about 20% of our cap space effectively sitting out the playoffs - Nylander, Theodore, Clark.

So, I think the Rangers should do with the Rs what the Caps are trying to do with Nylander -- waive them, then loan them to the KHL for a buck -- they're off your cap, and god knows, NY can absorb the losses that give the Caps pause. Even with a NMC, you can do it if you're prepared to mindf**k the poor basterds a little. I still can't believe that the NHL apparently allows this.

You've got your three pillars in King Henrik, speedy basterd Gaborik, and Ovechkin's favorite Staal brother. Get rid of those dregs, and all you need, if anything, to be elite is a #1 center.

And throw Sather into the Hudson.. for everybody's sake.

artilector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 10:50 PM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Caps fan here..

To me, as to many (most? all?) of you, the Rangers' problem is clearly the triple-Rs -- Redden, Roszival and Rury. Can't expect a team to overcome that much ballast in the form of overpayment. It's a familiar situation for the Caps -- last year we had about 20% of our cap space effectively sitting out the playoffs - Nylander, Theodore, Clark.

So, I think the Rangers should do with the Rs what the Caps are trying to do with Nylander -- waive them, then loan them to the KHL for a buck -- they're off your cap, and god knows, NY can absorb the losses that give the Caps pause. Even with a NMC, you can do it if you're prepared to mindf**k the poor basterds a little. I still can't believe that the NHL apparently allows this.

You've got your three pillars in King Henrik, speedy basterd Gaborik, and Ovechkin's favorite Staal brother. Get rid of those dregs, and all you need, if anything, to be elite is a #1 center.

And throw Sather into the Hudson.. for everybody's sake.
The big difference is that you guys have elite talents in Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green and Semin. 2 of the four were obtained with lottery picks.

McDonaghisGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 10:50 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Just got back...Aside from Gaborik and his line...No one else has the guts to shoot the puck properly...Good game though. Ovechkin is so big on the ice, never really knew that

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 10:55 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Just got back from the game as well.

Players who looked amazing

Gaborik

Players who looked good

Redden, Staal, Girardi, Higgins

*edit

Anisimov looked pretty good too.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Tikkanese

Staal disappointing

Home from the game. I don't know what you guys are talking about with Stall. He has clearly taken a step back this year. Not willing to be physical, not able to carry the puck out of the zone. He had several opportunities to deliver "message" hits and refuses to do it. I have liked Marc since he got here, and think he has the skills to be a strong d-man in this league, but he is playing like a pansy right now and really needs to step it up.

Also, echo the sentiments of many that the team is regressing to Jagr-style overpassing, trying to rely on Gabby to win it for them. And he almost did.

Tikkanese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 10:59 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
The big difference is that you guys have elite talents in Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green and Semin. 2 of the four were obtained with lottery picks.
Difference from what? And what does it matter?

Staal and Lundquist are homegrown, and you were able to get an elite talent in Gaborik. Heck, after this season, the Caps will probably have to let Semin go, so we'll have an equal number of "stars". Caps' stars may be more prolific offensively, but they'll cost more, too.

With the cap and short RFA period, homegrown doesn't matter nearly as much as before. What matters is managing the cap space..

Old
11-17-2009, 11:05 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanese View Post
Home from the game. I don't know what you guys are talking about with Stall. He has clearly taken a step back this year. Not willing to be physical, not able to carry the puck out of the zone. He had several opportunities to deliver "message" hits and refuses to do it. I have liked Marc since he got here, and think he has the skills to be a strong d-man in this league, but he is playing like a pansy right now and really needs to step it up.

Also, echo the sentiments of many that the team is regressing to Jagr-style overpassing, trying to rely on Gabby to win it for them. And he almost did.
Staal has developed a habit of TERRIBLE PUCK HANDLING SKILLS. Hes always missing the puck...Its like hes losing concentration

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 11:07 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Dubinsky+Callahan are already borderline 2nd/3rd line guys, and neither are at their ceilings.

They're both going to get faster, stronger, and smarter.
I bet you neither of them score more than their current highest point totals

I hope I'm wrong but what trend indicates that they will? I think we saw Callahans ceiling already. Dubinsky might get 50 pts, but he's a third line center right now.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 11:08 PM
mhurley

Torts is ultimately responsible for the mess that was out on the ice tonight.

Why doesn't he hold the guilty accountable or call them out? Kotalik's Dubinsky=esk giveaway in Ottawa? Wdae Deaden's lame defense? No hitting, unfinished checks and no shooting game after game after game?

Where's the accoutability?

mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 11:09 PM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

Quote:

Staal and Lundquist are homegrown, and you were able to get an elite talent in Gaborik. Heck, after this season, the Caps will probably have to let Semin go, so we'll have an equal number of "stars". Caps' stars may be more prolific offensively, but they'll cost more, too.

With the cap and short RFA period, homegrown doesn't matter nearly as much as before. What matters is managing the cap space..
Staal is light years from being an elite talent. We got lucky with Hank. Gaborik was only available because of his sketchy injury history. The fact is that we have lost the last two years in the playoffs to you guys and the Pens because we have less elite offensive talent. That isn't going to change anytime soon.

Old
11-17-2009, 11:11 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhurley View Post

Why doesn't he hold the guilty accountable or call them out? Kotalik's Dubinsky=esk giveaway in Ottawa? Wdae Deaden's lame defense? No hitting, unfinished checks and no shooting game after game after game?

Are you in the locker room and in the player meetings? How do you know what he's doing?

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 11:19 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:

There is no difference. And you were on the money with your first post as well. The 3 R's must go and throwing Sather in the Hudson wouldn't do much good. He's like a parade float, and will slowly but surely return to safety.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 11:27 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
Staal is light years from being an elite talent. We got lucky with Hank. Gaborik was only available because of his sketchy injury history. The fact is that we have lost the last two years in the playoffs to you guys and the Pens because we have less elite offensive talent. That isn't going to change anytime soon.
OK.. but the point of my original post was that if you can get rid of some contracts, you could for example pry away Semin from the Caps, and then you would have arguably equal offensive talent, apparently bypassing the whole boring rebuild stage..

Old
11-17-2009, 11:28 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:

You have to be joking. The team played its ass off last night and for the most part, played good special teams on the PP and PK. You couldn't ask for a better effort. Redden ****ed up. Plain and simple. Or else I say we at least get a point maybe two.
It's not Tortorella's fault his fatso boss is up in the press box stuffing his face with pop corn and making all the wrong personnel moves. Even the Capitals fan that came on here couldn't have put up a better post about the team we follow.

Old
11-18-2009, 12:02 AM
mhurley

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
You have to be joking. The team played its ass off last night and for the most part, played good special teams on the PP and PK. You couldn't ask for a better effort. Redden ****ed up. Plain and simple. Or else I say we at least get a point maybe two.
It's not Tortorella's fault his fatso boss is up in the press box stuffing his face with pop corn and making all the wrong personnel moves. Even the Capitals fan that came on here couldn't have put up a better post about the team we follow.
Are the Rangers hitting people? Are they taking the body? Are they finishing their checks? Are they shooting?

The answers are No. No. No and No. If you answered yes to any of the above, you weren't at the Garden watching the same game as I was.

Did that Cap fan say that as a team the Rangers are a bunch of ******* that let their goalie get run and manhandled with no retaliation? That would have been the truth and he would have been bounced for flaming. Guess you didn't see Henrik get shoved upside the head at the beginning of the game. Rewind your DVR.

Apparently Henrik destroyed his stick when the game was over. He smashed it to pieces. I'll bet he envisioned that he was smashing it against Redden's head.

And yet, Tortorella places the blame on Gilroy's inexperience for the gwg. Sorry but I'm not drinking Tort's, Micheletti's, Sather's or Dolan's KoolAide.

John "Mr. Accountability" Tortorella and his players need to become accountable before this team hits the bottom of the conference standings.

Old
11-18-2009, 12:04 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Are the Rangers hitting people? Are they taking the body? Are they finishing their checks? Are they shooting?

The answers are No. No. No and No. If you answered yes to any of the above, you weren't at the Garden watching the same game as I was.

Did that Cap fan say that as a team the Rangers are a bunch of ******* that let their goalie get run and manhandled with no retaliation? That would have been the truth and he would have been bounced for flaming. Guess you didn't see Henrik get shoved upside the head at the beginning of the game. Rewind your DVR.

Apparently Henrik destroyed his stick when the game was over. He smashed it to pieces. I'll bet he envisioned that he was smashing it against Redden's head.

And yet, Tortorella places the blame on Gilroy's inexperience for the gwg. Sorry but I'm not drinking Tort's, Micheletti's, Sather's or Dolan's KoolAide.

John "Mr. Accountability" Tortorella and his players need to become accountable before this team hits the bottom of the conference standings.
We know..you were the biggest Renney supporter of all time, but c'on...don't let it show so obviously with your hatred toward Torts. I can't even take your post serious with so much bias. Every post of yours is either Torts hate or Shanny love..

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 12:08 AM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

Quote:
OK.. but the point of my original post was that if you can get rid of some contracts, you could for example pry away Semin from the Caps, and then you would have arguably equal offensive talent, apparently bypassing the whole boring rebuild stage..
And my point is we are never going to win a cup trying to obtain elite players through free agency.

Old
11-18-2009, 12:13 AM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Can we cut down on this tanking/this team is going nowhere ********, at least?

The past 3 seasons we've dealt with lackluster play for long streches, but in the end we've made the playoffs all 3 times.

This team has its problems, but I have to believe we are better than last year at least..

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 12:21 AM
mhurley

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
We know..you were the biggest Renney supporter of all time, but c'on...don't let it show so obviously with your hatred toward Torts. I can't even take your post serious with so much bias. Every post of yours is either Torts hate or Shanny love..
Go look at the recent Renney thread, dude. I have been willing to give Torts more then the benefit of the doubt this season. I was one of his biggest defenders when he threw the water bottle. Get your facts straight.

But, when Torts tries to deflect criticism away from SPED Redden because it's the "company line", I'll call BS everytime. It's okay for Torts to bench Avery and Dubinsky but not Kotalik or Redden when they eff up? How's that accountabilty?

I don't expect an answer. That's a rhetorical question.

Old
11-18-2009, 12:22 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Yea seriously. This may not even be the personnel Torts wants to be working with for all we know. You don't get a more fiery coach than Tortorella. But he's only has good as the team that's out there. On the bright side, they still played a heck of a game (as did the Caps) and the team is in terrific shape. The Rangers need more offensive weapons. That's not Tortorella's fault.
The other thing is it's true. It's hard to argue with someone who for subjective reasons has a burning hatred for the head coach. How can one reason with a person who's in that frame of mind?

Old
11-18-2009, 12:26 AM
BlueShirts702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
It's really hard to root for a team with no identity whatsoever.
Nobody is forcing you to root for the team. If they bother you that much, don't watch anymore.

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote