HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#21 - 11.17.09 | Washington Capitals @ New York Rangers | 7:00 PM - VS. (HD)

Old
11-18-2009, 12:27 AM
gravytrain6t

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Are you in the locker room and in the player meetings? How do you know what he's doing?
Because of this. You have no idea what's going on behind the scenes. IDC who the coach is. If you want to blame someone, point a finger at Mr. Dolan and Glenn Sather. They're the ones who give away money like it's nothing. We are light years away from organizations like the Red Wings as far as brain trust.

The best thing you can do imo, (IF IT'S POSSIBLE) do not go and buy into Dolan's bull ****.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 12:29 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
And my point is we are never going to win a cup trying to obtain elite players through free agency.
WoW! Finally the voice of reason. Good luck spreading the message.

Old
11-18-2009, 12:45 AM
RangerBlueJay*

Why not? The Yankees finally did it and we sure as hell did it in 94. O wait, we're salary capped now, forget that idea

RangerBlueJay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 12:50 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlueJay View Post
Why not? The Yankees finally did it and we sure as hell did it in 94. O wait, we're salary capped now, forget that idea
Yea that seems to factor in these days in the new NHL. Possibly someone can leave a sticky memo on Sather's desk.

Old
11-18-2009, 12:57 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Marian Gaborik:

Wade Redden:

Henrik Lundqvist:

John Tortorella:

And a post-game wrap up:

http://www.insidehockey.com/columns/4986

Quote:
“It’s a little bit of inexperience on [Gilroy]. With Redden there on the other side of the ice, Gilly’s got to pull out,” said Rangers coach John Tortorella. “He does a good enough job getting back because he’s such a good skater. It’s inexperience -- even if he takes a penalty, he can’t allow that shot to be taken. I thought he had an opportunity to stop it, but we have a kid there that’s still understanding some of those things and doesn’t want to take a penalty.”
Quote:
“That is our biggest problem. Your power play isn’t going to be at 25-26% all year. There’s going to be times when it’s going to fight it a little bit. We’re depending on it too much; we need our secondary scoring,” Tortorella said. “We can’t keep on going one or two goals and expect to win a hockey game.”
Quote:
Rangers defensemen have combined for 45 points (13-32-45) this season. Last year, during the entire season, the defense combined for 141 points, but only 30 goals (30-111-141).

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 01:58 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Every time I get upset over this team I remember how awesome we are going to be to watch in a few years with Sanguinetti, Grachev, McDonagh, Stepan and Kreider coming up. Not to mention Staal, Dubi and MDZ getting better.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 02:21 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Every time I get upset over this team I remember how awesome we are going to be to watch in a few years with Sanguinetti, Grachev, McDonagh, Stepan and Kreider coming up. Not to mention Staal, Dubi and MDZ getting better.
Still waiting on the "getting better" part of dubinsky.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 02:23 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOWRanger View Post
Still waiting on the "getting better" part of dubinsky.
And Staal

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 04:23 AM
redfzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
And Staal
and alt. capt. callahan, though he wasn't mentioned, also an issue offensively.

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 05:29 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Well, folks, without Drury the team is 1-3 so far (counting Calgary, where he played all of 19 seconds). The Rangers competed and played well enough to win, but it's really hard to win games when you can't win draws and are constantly chasing the puck instead of having it 50% of the time - especially in your own end. The Rangers were 4-14 in defensive draws last night in their own end. That's pretty awful. If we play .500 hockey without Drury and Dubinsky in the lineup I'll be happy.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 08:12 AM
robbyrock*

Hey guys...as a caps fan I really think some of you are over reacting. Wanting to change the name to the gaboriks and then talking about tanking the season.

Think back just 2 seasons ago when the caps fans wanted to call the team the ovechkins. Im not rubbing it in but the caps arent exctly the florida panthers of the nhl right now plus the best player in the game is back. The rangers were in this game untill bradley scored and completely dominated at times esp the first 5 mins.

I think this team is better than the playoff team last year where now you at least have a consistant goal scorer and not having to rely on zherdev and gomez. Also alot of young talent comming up,I dont know if this is a new york thing to be so doom and gloom but when all you want to do is bad mouth players,like lets say a drury. Then when its aparent you needed a guy like him to win some faceoffs. I agree with some of your statements about management and overpaid players...but alot of teams are in that mess..well except pittsburgh where players take a discount.

robbyrock* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 08:25 AM
RangerBlueJay*

Right from the horses mouth here;
Quote:
“Bad time of the game,” said Redden. “No matter what, you have to be extra sure and not let those things happen and be caught on the wrong side of a guy. They made us pay.”
http://www.insidehockey.com/columns/4986

RangerBlueJay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 08:34 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyrock View Post
Hey guys...as a caps fan I really think some of you are over reacting. Wanting to change the name to the gaboriks and then talking about tanking the season.

Think back just 2 seasons ago when the caps fans wanted to call the team the ovechkins. Im not rubbing it in but the caps arent exctly the florida panthers of the nhl right now plus the best player in the game is back. The rangers were in this game untill bradley scored and completely dominated at times esp the first 5 mins.

I think this team is better than the playoff team last year where now you at least have a consistant goal scorer and not having to rely on zherdev and gomez. Also alot of young talent comming up,I dont know if this is a new york thing to be so doom and gloom but when all you want to do is bad mouth players,like lets say a drury. Then when its aparent you needed a guy like him to win some faceoffs. I agree with some of your statements about management and overpaid players...but alot of teams are in that mess..well except pittsburgh where players take a discount.
Yeah, the doom and gloom thing kind of comes from years of futility (one might say a franchise history worth of futility), and also probably in part some NY attitude.

I agree the team is probably better, and they can play like it, but it's frustrating to watch them struggle to find their game. And yeah, I do like some of the talent coming up so that's nice to see, but it's not here yet.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Melrose_Jr.

For all that went wrong in that game, ANY kind of contribution from the team's secondary scoring and they take at least a point out of this mess.

Lisin - no points since 10/26
Callahan - 2 points since 10/22 (both came in the same game against EDM)
Avery - his assist last night was his first since 10/24
Higgins - has been fairly hot recently, but he's GOT to bury one of those chances last night.

And you can't even say the team is missing the injured players...
Dubinsky - 2 points since 10/19 before injury
Drury - 2 points since 10/14 before injury

If the team's supposed to be built on offense, and Torts preaches that it is, then even a little bit more turns the tide in close games like this. Strategy or personnel?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 09:24 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
For all that went wrong in that game, ANY kind of contribution from the team's secondary scoring and they take at least a point out of this mess.

Higgins - has been fairly hot recently, but he's GOT to bury one of those chances last night.

If the team's supposed to be built on offense, and Torts preaches that it is, then even a little bit more turns the tide in close games like this. Strategy or personnel?
Personnel.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 09:33 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post

Its clear to me that this strategy does not fit with these types of players.

Torts does not have trigger happy Martin St. Louis, Fedotenko, Vinny L., Richards...dude who can balance the lines out and still be aggresive on the ice

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 10:24 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Personnel.
In general or......

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
Its clear to me that this strategy does not fit with these types of players.

Torts does not have trigger happy Martin St. Louis, Fedotenko, Vinny L., Richards...dude who can balance the lines out and still be aggresive on the ice
While I don't disagree, you also can't discount the pucks ripped wide of open nets, the scoring chances that end up with a weak wrister in the goaltender's chest, the shots that can't be lifted off the ice against a goaltender going down, the rebounds that just seem to be forgotten about entirely, etc. They've changed everything and it's 2008 all over again.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 11:18 AM
morffin

Another loss...but we got the chance to chant EDDIE ..and show some love for Mr Giacomin...so it was a good night.

Good crowd for a Tuesday night.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Well after reading this last page, imo you can sign elite players to contracts and win but they have to be ELITE. Drury, Gomez(thrown into the argument), Redden, are role players that are paid like elite players. Another point, you can say Dubinsky and Drury were slumping anyway, but when you replace them with guys who are slumping even worse those guys are missed especially on face offs. Imo Sather has to make a move here, Dubinsky's out a month or so, Drury is a question mark, it's not time to ride it out and wait for them to get back. Question is who's available and at what cost personnel wise and cap wise.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 11:31 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Tonight's the night Gabby takes the lead in the NHL goal scoring race. And he won't give it up for the rest of the season.
Well, he tied for the lead, but close enough. Hopefully the second part of my prediction rings true!

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Well, he tied for the lead, but close enough. Hopefully the second part of my prediction rings true!
You should start predicting Wins instead man. We need it.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote