HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#18: Flyers at Kings - November 18, 2009 - 10:30 PM (ET)

Old
11-18-2009, 08:17 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Ideal game:

Flyers 5 - Kings 0

Randy Jones -5. Five of his uncountable turnovers in front of his own net lead to goals by the flyers. He owes us.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Claude2Giroux View Post
I really hope this doesn't mean Boucher is going up against San Jose again. I'd rather have our best goalie rested against the best team in the league.

Although I guess Emery would play that game too and then Brian would play against Phoenix but 3 games in 5 days for a goalie is pretty rough.
Hopefully Emery plays San Jose Friday, with Boucher getting the nod Saturday in Phoenix.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 08:24 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

vCash: 500
Jeez lotsa fights!

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 08:30 AM
IrishSniper87

I doubt I will watch this game. Maybe the 1st Period. I hope it's a blow out just so I can go to bed.

**** 10:30 starts!

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 08:34 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
As far as the goaltender, this is the latest:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...ng_Flyers.html

Quote:
Stevens said that backup goaltender Brian Boucher will "definitely" start one game on this road trip, he just isn't sure which one yet. All signs point toward "Boosh" starting in Phoenix on Saturday night on the second leg of games in back-to-back nights. The Flyers play in San Jose on Friday . . .

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 08:38 AM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
At least I don't have to get back to sleep afterwards or break my sleep to get up to watch the game.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 08:42 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I doubt I will watch this game. Maybe the 1st Period. I hope it's a blow out just so I can go to bed.

stop being a *****. I'm glad its a 1030 start so i wont miss any of the game

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 08:45 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
^ The suggestions were made.
Harrold mostly plays as a forward anyways.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Emery starts again??

Seriously?
Why not? Right now he's on pace to play 77 games...lets do it. Lets just burn him out in the first 40 games, and then hold on the last half of the season.

...Stevens needs to start giving Boucher some more consistent starts or he's going to be absolutely useless to us if we ever need him.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 09:02 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Why not? Right now he's on pace to play 77 games...lets do it. Lets just burn him out in the first 40 games, and then hold on the last half of the season.

...Stevens needs to start giving Boucher some more consistent starts or he's going to be absolutely useless to us if we ever need him.
We all know Stevens isn't afraid to play the backup in previous seasons, so this is speaking volumes about his thoughts on Boucher, IMO.

Sure Emery has been solid, but he's not a robot. He only played like 36/38 games last season.

Personally -- I wish we still had Niitty.

Old
11-18-2009, 09:10 AM
Jester

Quote:
We all know Stevens isn't afraid to play the backup in previous seasons, so this is speaking volumes about his thoughts on Boucher, IMO.

Sure Emery has been solid, but he's not a robot. He only played like 36/38 games last season.

Personally -- I wish we still had Niitty.
Eh, you forget he basically did the same thing with Biron/Nitty in Biron's first full season here. Nitty was absolutely terrible in camp and then Stevens badly overplayed Biron to start the year...and when Nitty started to play better and Biron was worn down we ended up with a goalie controversy (Nitty's game log for that year).

This has been a bit more extreme, but Emery hasn't hit the wall yet...and obviously Stevens was more familiar/comfortable with Nitty than I would expect he is with Boucher.

However, even if you don't think Boucher is all that great...he's the backup, you have to get him some games and get him ready. I realize that might hurt you a bit in the short term, but it's an 82 game schedule plus playoffs and you need to be coaching for that stretch, not having an excellent November record.

Old
11-18-2009, 09:14 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Emery is being used like we have a goaltender who is injured, and Boucher is the 3rd goalie. This organization has never felt comfortable using the 3rd goalie. I consider Boucher a 3rd goalie/AHL-level goalie. And it's not just Stevens who did that.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Emery is being used like we have a goaltender who is injured, and Boucher is the 3rd goalie. This organization has never felt comfortable using the 3rd goalie. I consider Boucher a 3rd goalie/AHL-level goalie. And it's not just Stevens who did that.
Doesn't matter what Boucher is...he's the backup, and you need to have him ready. Additionally, you can't burn out your starter, because you're going to need him fresh throughout the year. If Emery gets banged up for a few games, our plan B right now has played one NHL game and one AHL game since camp, and he was injured at the end of camp.

Old
11-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Cleary84

Awesome GDT man! Made me realize how awesome a fighter Dave Brown was.

Go Flyers. It's extremely fun to watch Kopitar but I'm hoping he doesn't do anything tonight.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 09:49 AM
kicksave27

I have visions of a unforced jones turnover to giroux in the offensive zone and another slick feed to powe for the goal.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Get Carter

Quote:

Emery has played 16 games. Almost all the top goalies in the league have played more games than him thus far. Our schedule has been pretty friendly with all the long lay offs. I would expect Boucher to get more starts as we start to play more games per week.

Get Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Opus

Quote:
Eh, you forget he basically did the same thing with Biron/Nitty in Biron's first full season here. Nitty was absolutely terrible in camp and then Stevens badly overplayed Biron to start the year...and when Nitty started to play better and Biron was worn down we ended up with a goalie controversy (Nitty's game log for that year).

This has been a bit more extreme, but Emery hasn't hit the wall yet...and obviously Stevens was more familiar/comfortable with Nitty than I would expect he is with Boucher.

However, even if you don't think Boucher is all that great...he's the backup, you have to get him some games and get him ready. I realize that might hurt you a bit in the short term, but it's an 82 game schedule plus playoffs and you need to be coaching for that stretch, not having an excellent November record.
With all do respect to Boucher, I don't fear our typical goalie controversy...at least not in that regard. Where to controversy will (potentially) come when Emery does hit the proverbial wall. Should that happen, we're ****ed.

I know the schedule has been a wee bit wonky, but still. I was half expecting Boucher to play approximately 20-25 games this season. I suppose he still could see that many starts, but there isn't any evidence to suggest that.

Old
11-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Carter View Post
Emery has played 16 games. Almost all the top goalies in the league have played more games than him thus far. Our schedule has been pretty friendly with all the long lay offs. I would expect Boucher to get more starts as we start to play more games per week.
You say this as if I wouldn't be critical of that decision making as well. Marty Brodeur has been flopping in the playoffs with consistency the last few years, and I think it has everything to do with the load of games they pile on him.

Quote:
With all do respect to Boucher, I don't fear our typical goalie controversy...at least not in that regard. Where to controversy will (potentially) come when Emery does hit the proverbial wall. Should that happen, we're ****ed.

I know the schedule has been a wee bit wonky, but still. I was half expecting Boucher to play approximately 20-25 games this season. I suppose he still could see that many starts, but there isn't any evidence to suggest that.
I mean...we got 65 games left, can you see Boucher playing in 1/3 of those outside of an injury happening? I can't.

I'm not worried about a goalie controversy either, but I am worried about overworking Emery (especially early in the season...and while the schedule is a mess, that doesn't remove the need to get Boucher in there to keep him somewhat sharp). The Atlantic is going to be a dogfight this year, and when we hit February every single point is going to matter and you factor in Olympic schedule condensing...it's going to be an absolute grind.

I don't like the thought of getting to the end of December and having a backup that has seen 4 games in 3 months.

Old
11-18-2009, 10:46 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Carter View Post
Exactly.

And besides, even if that weren't the case, I personally think way too much is made of that kind of stuff. Worrying about pitchers tiring their arms out in baseball is one thing(which also annoys me a bit), but worrying about goaltenders getting tired out is another. If you're a top goalie and in great shape, you should be hoping to play all 82 games plus play-offs. Obviously, Emery is not going to wind up playing 76 games this year, and obviously the schedule has been favorable to giving him a lot of games to this point. But I do hope he winds up playing around 70. For a while now, I've wanted us to have a #1 who would carry such a workload.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Opus

Quote:
I mean...we got 65 games left, can you see Boucher playing in 1/3 of those outside of an injury happening? I can't.
At this rate, I'd be shocked to see Boucher start 12 games.

Quote:
I'm not worried about a goalie controversy either, but I am worried about overworking Emery (especially early in the season...and while the schedule is a mess, that doesn't remove the need to get Boucher in there to keep him somewhat sharp). The Atlantic is going to be a dogfight this year, and when we hit February every single point is going to matter and you factor in Olympic schedule condensing...it's going to be an absolute grind.

I don't like the thought of getting to the end of December and having a backup that has seen 4 games in 3 months.
No doubt. I'm almost starting to think that the mentality is to play the snot out of Emery and let him rest over the Olympics...and I don't agree with. I admire Stevens for putting so much faith in his players, and can't help but to think Emery is calling his own number...

Stevens -- You okay to start again Ray?
Emery -- Oh yeah, for sure.
Stevens -- Okay good. You feeling fatigued?
Emery -- I'm okay, I can rest over the Olympic break.
Stevens -- Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

I agree Brodeur, in years past he's just played way too much hockey. Hits the point where you need him to be his best and he's just worn out. I can see that playing out here if things don't change.

I'm happy to hear he'll (Boucher) be playing in Phoenix.

Old
11-18-2009, 10:53 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Marty Brodeur has been flopping in the playoffs with consistency the last few years, and I think it has everything to do with the load of games they pile on him.
I knew this point would be brought up. It's nice that you think that, but there's no reason to believe it. Brodeur always plays 70+ games in the regular season, including the Stanley Cup winning years of '00 and '03.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Get Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
I knew this point would be brought up. It's nice that you think that, but there's no reason to believe it. Brodeur always plays 70+ games in the regular season, including the Stanley Cup winning years of '00 and '03.
He also only played 31 last year and still flopped.

Get Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 10:58 AM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Finally, a Flyers game that doesn't start at 4 in the friggin afternoon!

I like the Kings, but hope to see a decisive road win tonight.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Why do I get so much more stoked for Flyers games than any other Philly sports team?

Should be a good test for them tonight, Kings are a very solid team so far this year.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Which in no way proves that by playing him so much the Devils haven't cost themselves other playoff runs due to having a worn out goaltender. For a guy that is as good as he has been, his play has absolutely cratered at the end of the year with some regularity, especially recently.

I think the 70+ game philosophy for a starting goaltender is extremely faulty. I think it's dangerous in that it leads to having an ill-prepared backup should he be called upon, and it puts unnecessary shortsighted pressure on your primary starter.