HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Louis Leblanc article by Mathias Brunet

Old
11-18-2009, 08:57 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

vCash: 500
Louis Leblanc article by Mathias Brunet

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...is-leblanc.php

here the english translation by google for those who dont speak french (i know its not the best but wtf)

Quote:
Louis Leblanc did not miss his return to Harvard. In five games, the first choice of Canadian Newest Entry Draft (18th overall) has seven points and is the first counter of his team.

Head coach Ted Donato, a former Harvard who has long played for the Boston Bruins, used profusely despite his rookie status. And he heaps praise on it.

"The statistics reflect Louis's game, Donato said in a telephone interview. It generates a lot of shots and chances count. He spends much time on the ice. We have two offensive trios, but his is by far the most dominant. Louis combines talent and excellent work ethic. I love his competitiveness. He plays as if he was on a mission, both in training and in matches. His way of playing a very, very high level with such intensity is very surprising considering its age. He has very quick hands, his skating continues to improve. "

Donato has performed with excellent teammates during his career of 13 seasons (include Ray Bourque, Adam Oates, Cam Neely, Joe Thornton, Paul Kariya, Teemu Selanne, Brett Hull, Mike Modano, Joe Nieuwendyk, Brenden Morrow and Mark Messier) . He predicted a bright future for Leblanc. "He has good offensive instincts. When he develops more physically and experience is gained, it will become one of the best counters in the NHL, "he believes.

Several observers of the scene of hockey have questioned the decision of Leblanc to joining the Harvard team where they believe it would not develop as well as a Canadian junior circuit or in a stronger division the NCAA.

"There are different development models, meets Ted Donato. Louis wants to become a better hockey player, but he also wants to develop his intelligence in one of the best educational institutions in the world. It has a unique talent because he did not just athletic ability, he is also a model student. He used his training school to become more socially complete, more mature. Physically, it will grow better because we argue less games.

"Besides, says Donato, I played at Harvard. Don Sweeney, my former teammate of Bruins, too. Two other former Harvard Dominic Moore and Craig Adams, currently play in the NHL. Ken Dryden and Joe Nieuwendyk also played in the Ivy League, with the same timing and the same school constraints, and they had a brilliant career. Most people who have strong opinions about it have not had the chance to attend Harvard. Louis gives additional options. Perhaps he will he of these options only after a long and successful career in the NHL, but he will. "

Donato, who directs the Harvard team since 2004, could add to the list of elders of the Ivy League who played in the NHL Erik Cole, Craig Conroy, Andy McDonald, Chris Higgins, Todd White, Todd Marchant, Willie Mitchell Lee Stempniak, Jeff Halpern, Doug Murray, Matt Moulson, Yann Danis, Brian Pothier and Canadiens defenseman Ryan O'Byrne.

The coach was surprised to hear the recruiter for the Canadian junior team, Al Murray, declaring that Louis Leblanc will be disadvantaged in the selection ahead of World Championship, because the little games he has played this fall. "It would be a shame. Louis can not only help the Canadian junior team, but it would be among the best strikers in the team. It could have a big impact in this club, "he said

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 09:01 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

mathias is the best!!!!

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 09:10 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

MB =

And at the 'best counter'

Louis Leblanc, C

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 09:44 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I hope he makes Team Canada, would be great to see him there this year, since he should be a lock next year.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Nice to hear about his sound work ethic. That should be the #1 requirement in drafting from now on.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 10:08 AM
FrankMTL

What i'm also very excited about is his intensity on the ice. The habs need so many more of these type players. If Louis turns out to be a Mike Richards type player, I will be extremely excited.

I loved this quote regarding Louis Leblanc from one of his old coaches, Dan D'Astoli (who also coached Marc Andre Vlasic).

"And what about Louis Leblanc?"

"D'Astoli: Louis had the eye of the Tiger. You dropped the puck and the game was his. One of the best competitors I had the pleasure of working with."

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...728/story.html

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 10:13 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
What i'm also very excited about is his intensity on the ice. The habs need so many more of these type players. If Louis turns out to be a Mike Richards type player, I will be extremely excited.

I loved this quote regarding Louis Leblanc from one of his old coaches, Dan D'Astoli (who also coached Marc Andre Vlasic).

"And what about Louis Leblanc?"

"D'Astoli: Louis had the eye of the Tiger. You dropped the puck and the game was his. One of the best competitors I had the pleasure of working with."

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...728/story.html
couldn't help myself

Old
11-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Natedawg
Lars Eller

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I hope he makes Team Canada, would be great to see him there this year, since he should be a lock next year.
I sure hope so, as I have great seats for both semifinal games this year.

Natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 10:48 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
MB =

And at the 'best counter'
Maybe he's studying accounting?

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Gros Bill

Nice write up. Good to see the kid is progressing.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Maybe he goes to Harvard so he can be prepared to be the Habs' GM one day.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Iwishihadacup

hes the best counter we have drafted in years

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Can we compare him to Steve Yzerman? Mike Richards?

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montréal Russians View Post

Rich Perverley

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 01:43 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montréal Russians View Post
It's funny you should say that, when I was watching his first NCAA game I thought of Yzerman. When I saw him in the USHL, I thought his skating and hands, he reminded me of Ribeiro, just faster and better all round. I keep hearing Mike Richards name, I've seen him 4 times so far and never has he looked anything like Richards to me. I was impressed with him in the one NCAA game though and his start is surprising to me, getting 7 pts in 5 games all on the road.

We sorely need a skilled forward to break through the lineup, so I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Old
11-18-2009, 01:49 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
It's funny you should say that, when I was watching his first NCAA game I thought of Yzerman. When I saw him in the USHL, I thought his skating and hands, he reminded me of Ribeiro, just faster and better all round. I keep hearing Mike Richards name, I've seen him 4 times so far and never has he looked anything like Richards to me. I was impressed with him in the one NCAA game though and his start is surprising to me, getting 7 pts in 5 games all on the road.

We sorely need a skilled forward to break through the lineup, so I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.
how is his physicality? I figure he's smaller than most guys in the league, but I'd love it if he shoved some agression towards other players.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 01:58 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
how is his physicality? I figure he's smaller than most guys in the league, but I'd love it if he shoved some agression towards other players.
He took the body a couple times in the Havard/Dartmouth game, but nothing to write home about. He worked hard at both ends of the ice though and showed good hands, so that's good enough for me. I've heard others say he really likes to take the body, the 3 USHL games I saw were all at the start of the season last year and the one NCAA was the season opener, so perhaps I need to see him later in the season. I know I will get at least a few more Havard games to watch this year so I will keep an eye out for his physical game.

Old
11-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:

More like a Derek Roy type of player? I feel he has the same kind of upside...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 02:13 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
If Louis Leblanc becomes a Derek Roy type player, except bigger, I would think that he could be a very good player in this league. Anyways, its nice to hear the comments about him so far and the start to his season has been very encouraging. As others have mentionned, it would be so amazing to see him play for the Canadian Junior team at this years tournament.

Old
11-18-2009, 02:18 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
I would guess that his upside is around that

Old
11-18-2009, 02:21 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Lets get our hands on Taylor Hall now.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 02:24 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

just to be cleared Leblanc is not a diver like Roy...

Old
11-18-2009, 02:25 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealistic View Post
Lets get our hands on Taylor Hall now.
I prefer having a potential #1-#2 centre combo of Tyler Seguin and Louis Leblanc, but hey, thats just me. The French media would love that.... Two French names to pronounce to their hearts content!

Old
11-18-2009, 05:36 PM
DeVries*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
So Leblanc is the anti-Kostitsyn?

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Drafting Leblanc was destiny. This kid seems like something special, can't wait to see him with the big club.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote