HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is this such a novel idea, which i think may have worked?

Old
11-16-2009, 09:07 PM
beastly115

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Well I'll be dipped in ####! That's fantastic! And what else!!!! hurry, hurry, hurry....tell me!!!

Can i have some of what you're smoking? "Bush League?" The Hawks can't even beat a team called ZSC Lions!!

And hell yea Zherdev is as skilled as anyone. But he chooses to take time off and didn't care about winning in the NHL.
Oh dear. You really were serious about the Zherdev statement.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 09:13 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Oh dear. You really were serious about the Zherdev statement.

Oh dear, i thought we went over this a million times. His head is up his ass. The sky could have been the limit for Zherdev. Stop being over dramatic too. He was picked 4th overall because he had no skills?

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 09:19 PM
gravytrain6t

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC2bc...eature=related

Here watch this...then tell me he has limited skills. How many players in the league can do this?

Old
11-16-2009, 09:37 PM
haveandare

There are many problems with this idea. First of all, Hank will keep us from ever getting a top 5 pick. Then, of course there's the fact that theres not a lot of realism about rookies here. You just named 5 players in next years draft who you think are going to be worth throwing a season for. That alone illustrates that you aren't being realistic about the importance of a draft pick. You can watch 1,000 youtube videos of these kids doing magic tricks but it doesn't mean anything until they score consistently at the NHL level, and a lot of them won't.

Excuse you while you get frustrated seeing other teams get good drafted players are we only end up with :GASP: Del Zotto, one of the league's best young defenseman and Gaborik, who has been more or less on a point per game pace his entire NHL career? I'll gladly take both of them on my team and look forward to the future.

It's fun to draft big name rookies and watch them enter the league immediately and make a difference, however that RARELY happens. We have great young players on this team, and we have Gaborik, who is as dangerous as any shooter. Everyone is already throwing away the season. We're 9th in goals for and 12th in goals against, calm down. The season is young. We can't score? 21 teams have more problems than we have...its not the end of the world or the season.

If you want rookies to follow, stop oogling every other team's and start watching Anismov, Gilroy and Del Zotto because they are the future talent on this team and they are going to be very important in the future of this organization.

Also, it looks more and more like Kovalchuck will never be anything but a Thrasher, so as nice as it is to dream about him in a Rangers uniform, its probably not going to happen. Plus, whats the point of having him without also having Gaborik? The whole point of going after him is to get a real first line.

And, finally, as others have pointed out there is no comparing Zherdev and Gaborik. As for Kirill Kabanov, dominating the world juniors is one thing, but I can't find stats for any season where he played more than 25 games so I wouldn't bet that he's going to make the Wild forget about the leader scorer in franchise history anytime soon.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 09:38 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Zherdev couldn't lace Gaborik's skates.

Zherdev is talented, but isn't on the same planet as Gaborik.

I don't like this plan at all.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 09:47 PM
In The Flesh

I wanted us to do basically what gravy is talking about.

I wanting us nowhere near Gaborik.

But lets all face it. Glen Sather is our GM. nuff said.

Zherdev wouldn't be on my team though.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:08 PM
bmw2004

I am not saying I like the plan but it may very well being realized if Gaby will get an unpredicted injury. Who knows may be that's not bad of an idea to get team tanked to achieve higher goals in the near future.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:12 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

I'll be more clear in my response (though Zherdev is still not on the same planet as Gaborik).

I think the time to do a rebuild like this was after the 97 season. We really just should've went through a proper rebuild, but instead sold off young talent, drafted poorly and overpaid for subpar players.

Now? With a goaltender like Henrik Lundqvist and sniper like Marian Gaborik? Not a good time.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:32 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Grow up. Enough with the bickering.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:47 PM
ReggieDunlop68
Hey Hanrahan!

I've said before that I would like the Rangers to go for a real draft pick, but my luck we would draft Pat Faloon or Rico Fata.

ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:54 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strauss View Post
I've said before that I would like the Rangers to go for a real draft pick, but my luck we would draft Pat Faloon or Rico Fata.
Nahh. If it actually were to happen. There's some obvious choices there (imo).

Old
11-16-2009, 11:08 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
1) I'd much rather have Gaborik than Kovalchuk.
2) Antropov's playing well with Kovalchuk, but how much secondary scoring would he be providing behind Gaborik(I really doubt he'd be on the same line as him) and does he really fit into Tortarella's PP system (which does not revolve around creating traffic and smashing home rebounds around the crease)?
3) Who knows what would happen with Zherdev. Kotalik and him are about a scratch right now; Z is clearly the better even strength player and would be great on the 2nd line, and it'd be nice to see how he does when we're not leaning so heavily on him to score. On the same note, Kotalik is a HUGE part of the turn around on the powerplay. I don't think he's a $3million player, but whatever, we're overpaying other guys a lot worse.
4) Naslund retired...who cares?
5) Getting rid of Gomez was huge. If you don't move Gomez, no, we can't throw a ton of cash Kovalchuk's way anyway.

The additional offense is going to come sooner or later. I'm excited about Grachev coming up. I'm excited for what happens around the deadline, what happens next off-season. I'm still confident we can do something with this season...the team showed what it's capable of early on and teams get hot and cold all the time. If we get hot going in to the playoffs I like the way our roster is on paper. If we find one more solid defenseman and substitute him in Rozy's spot...yeah. I like the potential we've got to do things THIS season if things start clicking. We need guys like Lisin, Higgins, Dubinsky, Callahan, etc. to at least start getting on pace to score 20 or so goals this year like they're capable of.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:09 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I've also gotta say...we really miss Zherdev's stickhandling abilities.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:11 PM
TheyareGonnaGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
Ah yes, like always on HFBoards there are just two ways of having a successfull season: winning the cup, or drafting first overall.

And not in that order.

TheyareGonnaGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 10:00 PM
gravytrain6t

anyone beginning to see the point of my original thread? It's all about Hockey Future as well (the Rangers future more specifically).

Some must see my point because on the Washington vs Rangers thread I hear people talking about top 5 picks.

But still, I thought we didn't need any top 5 picks. But it's becoming obvious that guys like Callahan, Avery, Dawes, Sjostrom, Boyle, Prucha, Higgins and who ever else you can think of are just not good enough. They do not provide goal scoring.

If this is really Drury's favorite team, he would do us all a favor and waive his NMC.

This is the most pissed I've been after watching a game. And to make matters worse, it had to be on Versus.

Old
11-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Scooter17

I stopped reading when you compared Zherdev to Gaborik

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 11:12 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter17 View Post
I stopped reading when you compared Zherdev to Gaborik
Oh ok! That's nice. I guess.

People are not understanding that I don't even want Zherdev on this team. All i said was that Zherdev is loaded with offensive talent. Tell me. If he cared about playing and even more importantly, winning in the NHL, you would not want he and Gaborik on the same line??

Is Semin on the same level as Ovechkin? Nooo! Ovechkin > Semin.

But that still doesn't take away the fact that both have unbelievable skill sets. Just one has more.

If Zherdev had the willingness and drive to play on and win with the Rangers, how about a first line of......

Zherdev Prospal Gaborik

Sorry, that would be an awesome line. But the Rangers as well as the rest of the league, know why Zherdev is not here.

Old
11-18-2009, 11:22 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:

People are not understanding that I don't even want Zherdev on this team. All i said was that Zherdev is loaded with offensive talent. Tell me. If he cared about playing and even more importantly, winning in the NHL, you would not want he and Gaborik on the same line??

But that still doesn't take away the fact that both have unbelievable skill sets. Just one has more.

If Zherdev had the willingness and drive to play on and win with the Rangers, how about a first line of......

Zherdev Prospal Gaborik

Sorry, that would be an awesome line. But the Rangers as well as the rest of the league, know why Zherdev is not here.
But he doesn't, and you're willing to admit that. In your OP you implied that it'd be better to keep him rather than sign Gaborik. Now you're saying you don't want him on the team. So why on Earth are you still talking about having Zherdev on this team?? I thought that having clueless players who don't work hard was a BAD thing.

You don't seem to understand that you proposed what you consider to be novel idea, yet now you're saying that you yourself don't even buy into a key part of it.

Overall, your idea is to not spend our cap space on a dynamic offensive player. Instead you'd rather see it spent on more second and third line players like Antropov and Zherdev. How does that help?

Last edited by clmetsfan: 11-18-2009 at 11:33 AM.
clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 11:50 AM
Garfinkel1

Quote:

Zherdev Prospal Gaborik

It also doesn't take into account the gap between Semin and Ovie. The gap between Gaborik and Zherdev. I like Zherdev. I think we should of kept him and it was a big mistake that we did not as he would provide a hell of a lot of sceondary scoring. BUT, Gaborik is 10x the player Zherdev is.

Your comparing world class talent (Gaborik, incase I need to clarify) with a good, skilled player (Zherdev). Wake up.

You talk about that #1 draft pick to get that 'superstar'. Who do you think Gaborik is? A SUPERSTAR. Who do you think Lundy is? We have two superstars. We have an excellent pipeline (for once...), it's not time to replenish the pipeline. It's time to put the players on the ice and hope for some chemistry to build. See where we are and do the best to compete WITHOUT trading away our youth. (At least not untill we are a bit closer to cup contenders)

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote