HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

True or false about wax and baby powder?

Old
11-16-2009, 03:20 PM
toedragger

vCash: 500
True or false about wax and baby powder?

For years now I've been using baby powder on the butt-end to reduce the stickiness and help preserve the palm of my gloves. I've also been using candle wax on the blade of my stick to help prevent snow buildup and to 'lock' the tape job. I think this is very common among most hockey players but what I never thought about was this...

If you wax the blade of your stick, you should have more grip on the puck than normal. With more grip it is easier to put spin on the puck when you shoot. More spin = greater accuracy but less velocity. Conversely, if you put baby powder on your blade you have less grip on the puck and therefore less spin on the puck but more velocity when you shoot.

Is there any truth to this? does it make sense or am I talking BS here

toedragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 04:14 PM
AIREAYE

I would think that there shold be some relation, but it's so insignificant that its all mental

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 12:49 AM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
I have always used wax on my blade, i never knew why when i started, now it is just habit. I changed my blade tape after every use too out of habit.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 08:42 AM
maci4life

if you coat wax onto the blade, you're reducing the friction of the tape thus getting less bite from the stick tape to the puck which should equal less spin.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Cams

I've always used wax on the blade only to prevent ice/snow build up, as it can be a pain to scrape it off. As far as hindering my shot - never really noticed.

Cams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by toedragger View Post
For years now I've been using baby powder on the butt-end to reduce the stickiness and help preserve the palm of my gloves. I've also been using candle wax on the blade of my stick to help prevent snow buildup and to 'lock' the tape job. I think this is very common among most hockey players but what I never thought about was this...

If you wax the blade of your stick, you should have more grip on the puck than normal. With more grip it is easier to put spin on the puck when you shoot. More spin = greater accuracy but less velocity. Conversely, if you put baby powder on your blade you have less grip on the puck and therefore less spin on the puck but more velocity when you shoot.

Is there any truth to this? does it make sense or am I talking BS here
Well, the main reason why you put wax on your tape is to make the cloth in the tape
repell water. If you don't add wax, the ice that collects on the cloth tape starts to melt and then it soaks into the tape, thus changing the weight and feel of yoru stick as you get further into the game and into the third period. This is why some players change their tape on their stick after each period. Seen this too many times!

But, I'm not so sure that the wax will decrease the velocity of the puck. I think that if you increase the flex on your stick and add pressure to the shaft during the shot, will help increase the velocity of the puck.

Head coach

11-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Hockeyfan68

I use wax but melt it into the fabric as a water proofer without losing friction. The more grip on the tape the more velocity you get on your shots. After melting it in with a heat gun it looks like it was never waxed which is what I like.

Wax is a waterproofer more than anything as Headcoach explained and I know a couple of guys who like stickhandling with wax over no wax because they feel the puck is looser on their stick and doesn't grab the tape as much.

If you are old like me you may remember Rick Middleton for the Bruins who used NO tape as he was a fantastic stickhandler and did not like the grip of the tape interfering with his skills. You can still see this at oldtimer Bruins charity Alumni games, he still uses the same stick too ... aparently he had a bazillion of them made for him.

Bobby Orr used very little tape for this reason as well and just had a small section in the middle portion of the blade just before the toe for shooting.

I am a shooter ... I want as much friction as possible.

I melt the wax into the fabric with a heat gun, it helps but does not waterproof as well as just a wax coating. I do however improve the waterproofing enough to make me happy and do have to clean snow off the blade but i never get ice up and still have good friction for shooting.

I found a happy medium for MY game.

Mario Lemieux used to use that heavy pinetarry type sticky stinky black tape we all hate so whatever works for you is what you should do or use.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote