HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Our 2010 Olympic Roster if Koivu, Lehtinen and Salo are injured?

Old
11-15-2009, 09:10 AM
D1az

vCash: 500
Our 2010 Olympic Roster if Koivu, Lehtinen and Salo are injured?

This is something of a "worst case scenario", but which guys should Team Finland turn to if Saku Koivu, Jere Lehtinen and even Sami Salo can't play? And what should those lines look like?

D1az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 09:52 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Kiprusoff
Bäckström
Niittymäki

Timonen - Väänänen
Pitkänen - Lydman
Lehtonen - Kukkonen
Lepistö

T.Ruutu - Koivu - Selänne
Hagman - O.Jokinen - J.Jokinen
Leino - Filppula - Miettinen
Pyörälä - Kapanen - J.Ruutu
Bergenheim

It's pretty far from a "worst case scenario", actually. Right now we've got three offensive center slots for four guys who should all earn one, so losing the elder Koivu is not that much of a strike. I'm more inclined to think that losing the younger one would hurt more. Replacing S.Koivu with Filppula is no major loss.

Losing Lehtinen is nothing too major either. We've got plenty of decent two-way forwards. Pyörälä and J.Jokinen should just have to step up. Also Miettinen and even Hagman can play that game.

Besides, having both Lehtinen and Saku out would release our only bona fide goal scorer Selänne to solve our 1st line sniper problem. Sticking him with Koivu and Ruutu would be a natural solution in that case.

So at least in offense, that's quite far from being bad. In a way, the lines possibly look even more balanced when they're built up like that. It's not 2002, thankfully.

Now, losing Salo... THAT would hurt. First of all, he's pretty much our only D-man capable of playing on that level with a right-side hook. The next ones in the depth chart are apparently Seikola and Aalto... mommy. We need size, and I recall Timonen and Väänänen being paired together in Philly early last season, so it's worth a shot. Another option would be Lepistö. 2nd would remain the same and 3rd would probably in that case be the old Kärpät pairing Lehtonen - Kukkonen.

It's still not bad, but it's nowhere near as good as it is with Salo in there.

Last edited by FiLe: 11-15-2009 at 09:59 AM.
FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 11:01 AM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1az View Post
This is something of a "worst case scenario", but which guys should Team Finland turn to if Saku Koivu, Jere Lehtinen and even Sami Salo can't play? And what should those lines look like?
I think it's pretty much a given that Salo and Lehtinen will not be playing. Salo is always injured, and Lehtinen is just plain old.

I think Saku will be ok.

Here is my roster:

T. Ruutu - M. Koivu - Filppula
Hagman - S. Koivu - Selanne
Miettinen - O. Jokinen - J. Jokinen
Bergenheim - N. Kapanen - J. Ruutu
(Leino)
(Hyvonen)

Timonen - Pitkanen
Lydman - Nummelin
Vaananen - Lepisto
(Salmela)
(Kukkonen)

Kiprusoff, Backstrom, Niittymaki

ThinMcWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 02:07 AM
D1az

Those lines look much better than I expected, but I'm a little nervous (as always) about how our defensive lines will manage to take the poundings of aggressively offensive teams like Russia and Canada? The goaltending looks pretty solid but is of liitle use if the defensive lines can't do their job properly.

Old
11-17-2009, 02:46 AM
ES

Permanent NHL defensemen (I would count only four: Pitkänen, Salo, Timonen and Lydman), if everyone is healthy they should be split so that there is no "European pair". So basically first defense pairing would have two, then other two pairings once each. Of course there are few more in North America who may get in the olympic team.

ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 05:14 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1az View Post
Those lines look much better than I expected, but I'm a little nervous (as always) about how our defensive lines will manage to take the poundings of aggressively offensive teams like Russia and Canada? The goaltending looks pretty solid but is of liitle use if the defensive lines can't do their job properly.
At the moment we got tons of depth in center, seven or eight guys who seem to be an olympic fit plus about ten fellas one can shoo in to a grinder role, so we're far from screwed even if we have one or two out in that category, even if they've held the key roles in earlier tournaments. What we don't have that much is scoring wingers. Ask what we should do if Selänne and T.Ruutu are out, and you might see me scratching my head a little while longer.

But you're right with your worries on defense, we are extremely thin there. If we're forced to scratch any of our top four, there is no replacement that wouldn't be a minor step backwards. On paper, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiNsKa View Post
I think Saku will be ok.
While I think we'll see him too, I was under impression that the whole point of this topic was to play that "what if" game, so you really didn't answer the question presented in the opening post.

Old
11-17-2009, 04:00 PM
WildHockey90

Here's nhl.com take on the matter at hand.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=506147

WildHockey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 04:27 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHockey90 View Post
Here's nhl.com take on the matter at hand.
Which is laughable, I might say.

...and I'm being moderate with that statement.

Old
11-18-2009, 01:08 PM
D1az

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
While I think we'll see him too, I was under impression that the whole point of this topic was to play that "what if" game, so you really didn't answer the question presented in the opening post.
Yes, that was my intention - I'm not that optimistic regarding Koivu, he has a long history of injuries and I'm afraid that he very well might get injured before the Olympics.

Old
11-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

Which part is laughable? Are there huge omissions or players included that you don't feel deserve to be?

Tony Piscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 02:40 PM
WildHockey90

Quote:

What's so laughable i don't get it ?

Mate i think you're getting things twisted here, Fix up.

Old
11-18-2009, 03:15 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Piscotta View Post
Which part is laughable? Are there huge omissions or players included that you don't feel deserve to be?
Well, the goalies are pretty much spot on. (Then again, how hard is it to pick Bäcks-Kipper -tandem and check up the stats on third?)

Forward picks have few quirks, but it's plausible, I give them that.

While Jarkko Immonen has been good, he's pretty far down the depth chart. Oskar Osala doesn't make the team because we have a ton of other grinders our head coach knows better than he does him, unless they all happen to be injured.

The defense is the biggest laughing stock. The hugest omission is Toni Lydman. He's a lock for top four, ask any Finn, professional or a fan roaming these boards. Plus, it's ridiculously overloaded with offensive talent at the expense of shutdown players. Timonen, Pitkänen, Nummelin, Koistinen and Sami Kapanen who is a friggin' forward who only plays D on emergencies. Besides, Koistinen is as much a swing man as he is (capable of playing winger) so do we really need two of them?

Also, one might be wishing to check up how a fellow called Sami Lepistö has been playing in Phoenix. Nothing fancy, but he still gets steady minutes night after night and has been far more consistent than Koistinen for example.

To sum it up: goalies are spot on (not hard), forwards got couple of quirks, which is still within the limits of acceptable. But there is no way in hell our D is going to look like that even with load of injuries. It's just completely out of whack.

Old
11-19-2009, 08:18 AM
WildHockey90

Chill out dude it just the writer's opinion, it's not like he is picking the team or something. No need for the rant, im sure you're team Finland is not perfect either.

Old
11-19-2009, 09:10 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHockey90 View Post
Chill out dude it just the writer's opinion, it's not like he is picking the team or something. No need for the rant, im sure you're team Finland is not perfect either.
Why is it that every time I start wondering about something, some people react as if I was in some kind of mad rage?

Besides, I've never even claimed anywhere that I'm able to build a lineup that's exactly going to be like the one they finally end up choosing and I'm even all for admitting that.

But there are some things you just know aren't right, you know, that stuff that is so obvious people should have a clue about. Especially if one claims to be a professional.

We'll also have to be aware of the context. Had this fellow written a post at HFBoards with those views, I probably wouldn't have thought much about it. But this is an article written by an apparent "expert" for NHL.com. While it is simply an opinion, it's one that is bound to get more visibility than anything any of us are ever going to type here, so I don't think more vocal critisism is completely out of the place with this particular setpiece.

Old
11-19-2009, 10:34 AM
WildHockey90

Quote:
Why is it that every time I start wondering about something, some people react as if I was in some kind of mad rage?

Besides, I've never even claimed anywhere that I'm able to build a lineup that's exactly going to be like the one they finally end up choosing and I'm even all for admitting that.

But there are some things you just know aren't right, you know, that stuff that is so obvious people should have a clue about. Especially if one claims to be a professional.

We'll also have to be aware of the context. Had this fellow written a post at HFBoards with those views, I probably wouldn't have thought much about it. But this is an article written by an apparent "expert" for NHL.com. While it is simply an opinion, it's one that is bound to get more visibility than anything any of us are ever going to type here, so I don't think more vocal critisism is completely out of the place with this particular setpiece.
Fair enough, i see the point you're trying to make (for once)

Old
11-19-2009, 10:35 AM
gib

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I am just happy if any north american sports writer makes a article like this. Even if it would include some bloopers it`s better than nothing. Try to build team USA for olympics? Not so easy for a finn.

Anyway I give the guy tons of credit for bringing Kapanen and Immonen to the list and leaving Peltonen out.

gib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:24 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

^Touché, I guess.

And I don't honestly see what good is writing an article if you haven't done your homework. I think it was Mark Twain who said, "Sometimes it's better to remain silent and let people suspect you're an idiot, than open your mouth and remove all the doubt."

This, naturally, doesn't apply to web forums.