HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings v. Flyers: Post Game THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
11-19-2009, 12:33 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Stoll had a heck of a game. He is going to pay big dividends whenever this team reaches the playoffs. Same with the style Williams plays.

The Kings have players who will take their game to another level when the stakes are high, but then there are some players who are still learning to do that. Frolov showed that at times tonight. He's going to have to be a bit more fearless in driving to the net.

Same goes for Brown. These guys have to man up, take some lumps and cut to the net just as Smyth does.

The Kings completely outplayed the Flyers tonight. The second period was a mess and sloppy plays and failure to clear the puck led to the Flyers' goals. I was very disappointed in the play of the checking line as they failed to check and constantly left the point men wide open.

This loss is disappointing in a sense that they could (and should) have won it. If they add anything, it has to be a hard shot from the wing. None of the current wingers have a blast they can rip that will either end up in the net or create a big juicy rebound. Frolov's goals usually come from down low, Williams works for his goals, Smyth also scores from down low... they really do need a 'shoot first' player.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:35 AM
ru4reals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
It's about Pride, showing any kind of emotion. . What did the Kings do that showed any emotion tonight. Greene has been the only catalyst for this team. When I see guys like Richards, Hartnell, Pronger & Carcillo talking **** and getting in the mix, I EXPECT someone on the team to answer the bell. It's about sending a message to the other team. . Fine, you know what, your right, let's just play Alexander Frolov hockey and not do anything when we get challenged both emotionally and physically. . . Seriously, I'm not advocating someone fighting every game but when players are being challenged, someone needs to take the reigns and push back. . .

I guess I'm the only one that thinks this way. . .

Bartender, get me a drink and make it strong. . .
I agree.

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:39 AM
bland

Brown was pathetic tonight - AGAIN.

In all seriousness, take away the big noise-making but usually pointless hits, and Dustin Brown is a soft as a plush toy pony. No grit and no inner drive.

Simmonds had a rough game. He had no touch on the puck whatsoever. Purcell played pretty well - won his share of battles and kep the puck moving forward all night.

Stoll was the best player on the ice for the Kings, not even counting that freak goal.

Johnson made yet another easy clear into a turnover in the defensive zone. That one killed 2.5 of the last 4 minutes. And people wonder why he was a minus-11 heading into the game.

All three Flyer goals were scored in the same area - the Kings may collapse deep, but their man-to-man coverage needs a LOT of work.

You have to give a ton of credit to the Flyers relentless board work. They may not win every battle, but they are decisive and strong. It's a battle of wills out there, and they exposed and took advantage of the Kings biggest weakness.

I would kill to get Scotty Hartnell on this team... and Mike Richards is still better than Anze Kopitar

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:41 AM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
I disagree. Smyth makes a huge difference, but the Flyers were able to keep the Kings from being succesful in the front of the net
Funny seeing how it was Brown's screen that helped get the 2nd goal. Thats an easy save if Boucher see's it.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:42 AM
Quattro

while it always sucks to lose to a team of miserable pr**ks like the Flyers, it was a fantastic effort by the Kings. I loved how physical they were and didn't let up all the way to the whistle.

I seriously have no idea what you guys are talking about with Brown. I guess he's just the new whipping boy.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:45 AM
TonySCV
Push to the 8th Tee

Just got back from the game... it's nice to see most of what I saw live translated through the TV as well. The Kings played their butts off tonight, and I thought were the stronger overall team.

I knew that 5 on 3 would come back to bite us, and it did. We score on that and we get at least one point tonight - maybe 2.

The top line Frolov - Kopitar - Williams was O-U-T-S-T-A-N-D-I-N-G. Good god they did everything but score on several shifts tonight. It was ridiculous how good they were.

The team misses Smyth already. I really don't want to compare him with Frolov because they are two completely different players. Let's hope it's only 7 or 8 games and not 15 or 16. I do think Frolov, most of the night, played to his strengths.

Williams deserves his own mention. He was just outstanding tonight in every way. Stoll had a fantastic game as well.

So many Kings did so well tonight... just weren't rewarded for it. Sooo many chances... just couldn't cash in.

Losses like tonight's don't sting as much as others. When the effort is there, that's all you can ask.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:45 AM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
while it always sucks to lose to a team of miserable pr**ks like the Flyers, it was a fantastic effort by the Kings. I loved how physical they were and didn't let up all the way to the whistle.

I seriously have no idea what you guys are talking about with Brown. I guess he's just the new whipping boy.
This, he played fine. I think people are still pissed Taylor drafted him over Parise despite Brown being rated higher.

SFKingshomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:46 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

We love you guys too

Anyway good game. Almost tied it up on the end... maybe it was karma for that first goal Boosh let in .

You guys got a good team. I think its a playoff team.

Anyway good game.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:46 AM
Brad Doty
\_(ツ)_/

I'd like someone on this team that's willing to get a little dirty without an invitation. That's pretty much it.

Not gonna complain about the game either way. The Kings responded to the physical play, but definitely didn't stick up for one another after whistles, etc, but what else is new. Was a good one to watch. Blecch. I'm tired.

Brad Doty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:47 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:

The main thing I didn't like from Brown tonight was that major over-exaggeration right before that Stoll got that goal. . . Great, we got the goal. . but Brown looked like a total ***** in the process

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:47 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:

Brown takes an undisciplined offensive zone penalty to produce the game winning goal for the Flyers, than when he has a perfect chance to tie it up, rather than drive to the net, he takes a ******** slapshot which hits Boucher... right in the chest.

Brown isn't a player where we say "oh he's doing all the little things right, that's fine"... he's supposed to be an impact player, but he hasn't been.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:48 AM
bland

Quote:

Watch him closely - you'll see stupid turnover after stupid turnover... pointless shots right into the goalies chest from distance that just kill cycles... opportunities to step up for his teammates, but won't... ham-fisted passes on the PP...

He seems like a great guy, and you love his off-ice dedication to the team, but he just has nothing inside him that can push himself or his teammates to success.

Old
11-19-2009, 12:48 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Oh and I hate to say this yet again, but I'm done with Ivanans. He literally brings nothing to the table anymore.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:51 AM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
This, he played fine. I think people are still pissed Taylor drafted him over Parise despite Brown being rated higher.
No, I am pissed because he sucks and fanboys get all excited about a couple of big hits a week...

Old
11-19-2009, 12:51 AM
Brad Doty
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Oh and I hate to say this yet again, but I'm done with Ivanans. He literally brings nothing to the table anymore.
You know, that game at the beginning where he went rabid on Jody Shelley was AMAZING. Tonight, he was entirely too tame. I don't understand it.

I remember reading a quote somewhere where someone was talking about how Ivanans was one of the craziest guys the writer had ever met. Wonder where that Ivan is.

Brad Doty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:52 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Hey, he wasn't that bad tonight! Leave Mr. Ritis alone.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:52 AM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
No, I am pissed because he sucks and fanboys get all excited about a couple of big hits a week...
He still brings way more to the table than the Loaf.

SFKingshomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:55 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
This is true, definitely 100% agree with you. . but the table is getting shorter and shorter by the game. . .

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 01:01 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Come on some of you, while Brown made some bonehead plays, he also ran a few people over. This might have been his most physical game of the year, and I'm happy to see that. He's going to make stupid plays because he is kind of a stupid player. He still needs to work harder at driving the net, but getting back to his roots and taking the body hard and often is a nice step in the right direction towards getting back the Brown we miss.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 01:01 AM
TonySCV
Push to the 8th Tee

Doughty's postgame quotes are up. It's great to hear him take ownership like this. He was pretty hard oh himself and the team play early on. No excuses.

http://lakingsinsider.com/?p=1632

Old
11-19-2009, 01:05 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningBright View Post
hockey is a game of inches, sometimes the bounces go your way, sometimes they dont.
This is true. Kopitar's shot off the post. That shot that I still cannot believe did not go in the net.

But, it is also a game of choices. Brown's choice to not pass the puck when his fellow center or winger is wide open and ready for the cross ice pass. Brown's choice to not pay the price to dig out the puck in the corners. Brown's 5 terrible passes to his 1 decent one. Brown's...you know, I am just disgusted by his play. He is playing like a journeyman role player. I see Armstrong wearing 32.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 01:05 AM
Matt13

I really liked Hartnell's hair and Williams was radical tonight.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 01:07 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Come on some of you, while Brown made some bonehead plays, he also ran a few people over. This might have been his most physical game of the year, and I'm happy to see that. He's going to make stupid plays because he is kind of a stupid player. He still needs to work harder at driving the net, but getting back to his roots and taking the body hard and often is a nice step in the right direction towards getting back the Brown we miss.
Come on man. Taking the body on a couple of plays does not excuse the ******** we saw from our Captain tonight. He single handedly sucked the momentum out of this game with the penalty at the end of the second. He had Parse wide open on a cross ice pass and took a sharp angle shot right into Boucher's chest. Doing 2 things right and 10 wrong earns him an F-.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 01:10 AM
bland

Quote:
And.....scene!

Old
11-19-2009, 01:10 AM
TonySCV
Push to the 8th Tee

Frolov had a damn good game tonight, but he's got to find his scoring touch again and fast. When you look at the game summary, there's certainly some WTF stats. Williams had 8 shots on goal tonight. Frolov only had one, and it wasn't until the final minute.

As good as his puck possession and space creating is in terms of creating chances for his linemates, he's got to take some shots from time to time as well.