HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings v. Flyers: Post Game THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
11-19-2009, 01:55 AM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

vCash: 500
I think they made a good point on Kings Talk about Frolov. He needs to take it to the net.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 01:56 AM
JDM

I really liked Murray's comments. http://lakingsinsider.com/?p=1634#comments

Particularly this one: "We passed up quite a few good shooting opportunities here tonight, on the power play and 5-on-5. To me, tonight, the shot clock, I don’t care. It doesn’t matter if we had 70 shots here tonight. I’m looking at situations where it cost us goals, where we made the decisions and they weren’t the right ones."

It's nice for him to upset with this game. Last thing I wanted to hear from him was his typical 'uplifting' sentiments that just scream not expecting to win.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 01:59 AM
JDM

No one has really talked about Quick. I thought he played a really good game even though his save percentage won't show that.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 02:15 AM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
No one has really talked about Quick. I thought he played a really good game even though his save percentage won't show that.
Except that first goal, he was fine.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 02:18 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Kopitar wasn't driving the center lane tonight at all which resulted in Williams one-man ganging it all over the offensive zone. he went back to deferring to his wingers and didn't completely take control of HIS line. he played very well out there tonight... he's better when he dictates the flow.

Frolov has been playing very well since his benching and was fantastic tonight. he needs to start dropping some sure, but why call him out at game 10, his first on the top line in a scoring role, and not games 8 or 9? this is around the time of year he usually starts to get hot... lets hope he starts getting hot.

Murray made two mistakes tonight as far as i was concerned. one was after Handzus got a turnover in the neutral zone, crossed the blue line, fired and got a whistle... the checking line is shifted in to take an offensive zone faceoff, loses it, Philly comes down ice, shoots, gets a whistle and Murray shifts in the Kopitar line to take the defensive zone draw and have to go 200 feet after regaining control of the puck. the other was not shuffling Purcell and Brown in the third period. Brown was facepalm lousy out there tonight and has played only about 5 real good games since February.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 02:25 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Another thing on Purcell.

I am worried he is destined to be a Len Barrie, Derek Armstrong, Jock Callader kind of guy. He does seem to try and he has skills as proven by his AHL numbers, he just seems to be a step behind the play alot. I hope I am wrong, but he has been tried all over the place this season and nothing has seemed to work.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 02:46 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Just came back from the game. The communal groan from the crowd that resulted from that near miss at the end is still echoing in my ears. I only have one gripe about the Kings play - does no Smyth have to mean no front of the net presence? I understand that's his job usually but that doesn't mean we forget about that part of the game when he's gone. Emery got too many good looks for my liking. Bah. Humbug.

Edit: Haha woops. Meant Boucher.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 02:49 AM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Just came back from the game. The communal groan from the crowd that resulted from that near miss at the end is still echoing in my ears. I only have one gripe about the Kings play - does no Smyth have to mean no front of the net presence? I understand that's his job usually but that doesn't mean we forget about that part of the game when he's gone. Emery got too many good looks for my liking. Bah. Humbug.
Well, he did have a good view from the bench.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 02:51 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightKinger View Post
Well, he did have a good view from the bench.
Gimme a break, I'm tired! Besides I haven't seen Boucher play all season aside from today.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 03:10 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

The opinion about Brown hasn't changed because the "intelligent" posters have swayed opinion but rather due to the fact that he has not returned to his pre-February level of play. He went from 30 goal scorer to 17 goal scorer Dustin Brown in an instant and he hasn't turned it around.

The fear is that he truly is the 17-20 goal scorer Brown and not the 30-goal scorer this team needs. As far as sample sizes go, we've seen alot more of the 17 goal scorer Brown than the 30 goal one.

Also, his hitting has reverted back to his early days where they made a loud noise but had no bearing on the play. He had turned into a guy who would get a huge forecheck on the power play to create a turnover and a goal; now he makes most of his hits near the benches backchecking as he goes off for a line change.

I really like the guy but his play has dropped off and his constant, embarassing diving antics are putting him in Corey Perry territory: If he's on my team I like him but I know he's a puss and I'd hate him if he was on another team.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 04:26 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
I think they made a good point on Kings Talk about Frolov. He needs to take it to the net.
Yeah. Some really eye-opening, groundbreaking stuff. I guess that's why they get paid the big bucks.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 07:03 AM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
I thought the team played great.

Those goals were all ones quick didnt have a chance on. except maybe that ****** richards' goal.

Stoll and WIlliams were amazing. Doughty is still bad ass, and brown, well, hes almost making me think about having his name removed from my jersey, hes just bad.

Jack should have beat Hartnells ugly ass up also.

but, 39 shots and we could only get two to go in?

KingsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 07:53 AM
johnjm22

This team is still having trouble scoring 5 on 5. The Kings currently rank 21st in that category. The Flyers are 1st, BTW.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 08:04 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans View Post
It's actually been really fascinating watching the mass opinion of this board shift since I got here. For instance, the transition from "Fro-LOAF" a few years ago to "our best player" this summer. Likewise, Dustin Brown from "power forward!" to "liability!". Approximately the same players, massively different receptions. The trend seems to value intelligent players. I think we all just end up adopting the opinions of the posters we admire, and our most intelligent and cogent posters prefer our most intelligent players. Dustin Brown hasn't changed the mass opinion of Dustin Brown - Zad, bland, and wabwat have.
Can it be that I have learned the game and see it differently than i did two years ago... and have a better understanding for whats going on...cause I used to Love Brownie..used to.

Not anymore..and I don't hop on the bandwagon if somebody says this or that, but if someone mentions something I haven't noticed I take a look at it and take a stand.

So in my case it is Brown who changed my opinion and not Zad, Bland or Wabwat.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 08:26 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

As an "outsider", its interesting to see how the perception of Brown ebbs and flows. Personally, I see his play this season (projected over 82 games) as right in line with expectations. He'll end up with around 20-25 goals, 60-65 points, and 250+ shots/hits. He's not an exceptionally "smart" player from a hockey sense perspective, but he does produce. A valuable player in my book and well worth the contract. In addition, is this the most critical team page on HF Boards? The collective microscope that is used is pretty amazing.

Last edited by Rabid Ranger: 11-19-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 09:01 AM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

I thought Quick was out of position a lot, how many goals did he try to reach back for. He needs to settle down. He is pushing to hard. He seems to make that on great save but....... I dont know?

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 09:05 AM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Doughty8 View Post
I know there was like 45 secs to a minute at the end of the game where the Kings just lost valuable time. If we would've gotten it out then... Well it would be a different story and I guarantee OT would be on right now..
All of that was due to a poor pass from J Johnson.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 09:40 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Too frustrated last night to post. Too much Cucumber Soju as well.

First off, Stoll played his @ss off last night. Hitting, scoring, passing. I couldn't have asked or more from him. REALLY.

I thought Quick played well and couldn't blame him on any of the goals.

Kopitar really tried to carry the team, and it was obvious that Williams effort was there too. Even Frolov tried to elevate and really played well, HOWEVER, I think Frolov's extended stay on the third line where puck possession is the name of the game has changed his game and he needs to remember that with Kopitar and Willie the cycle goes to the front of the net a lot quicker than with sSimmonds and Handzus.

Parse is really doing well.

Wish I could say the same for our Captain. There was one play in the second period where we came into the zone 3-2, and the forward on Brownie's right was even with him but open for a clear shot, and instead he passed the puck through traffic to (I think) Stoll who was covered and could only get a shot wide. he really needs to get his head out his arse. I don't know why TM doesnt try the Frolov approach with him and have a discussion, and if that doesn't work sit him for a game or period. Honestly, with the way he played last night, I would rather see Purcell out there with that line than Brownie.
Because, say what you will about Teddy most of the time (and I'm right there with you) last night Teddy was givign the effort, but the results just didn't come (for the whole team).

I'm not going to get into the JJ should have fought debate. But why Ivanans wasn't more of a pest in this game is bothering me a little, even though I thought he played well enough without scrapping.

What I did notice, and as much as I hate to give props to the "F-in" Flyers was that they do a great job taking time and space away in their defensive zone, both at even strength and on the PK.

On our 5-3, the top spacing was too tight, allowing the top defender to pressure the puck possessor all the way around. Combine that with passes that weren't crisp or flat enough to get off good one-timers, and we got what we got: Nothing.

Overall, a frustrating loss, but a well played game: we out shot them, out chanced them and out hit them. We just didin't outscore them, and on some nights, that will happen.

Put it behind us, and lets blast the sharks.

And, oh yeah, Brown needs to wake the "F" up and contribute to this team.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
As an "outsider", its interesting to see how the perception of Brown ebbs and flows. Personally, I see his play this season (projected over 82 games) as right in line with expectations. He'll end up with around 20-25 goals, 60-65 points, and 250+ shots/hits. He's not an exceptionally "smart" player from a hockey sense perspective, but he does produce. A valuable player in my book and well worth the contract. In addition, is this the most critical team page on HF Boards? The collective microscope that is used is pretty amazing.
Bingo. I mean, that's Brown to a T and yet some people think he should be even more. Another case of Kings fans putting unrealistic expectations on a player.

Brown is a shooter and so is Stoll and they're playing on a line without a playmaker. Parse is great and all but he's the kind of a kid that can play on any line and not look out of place but is not the kind of kid to complete any line. We need a playmaker for that line. Ray Whitney?

Also, Clune needs to be called up yesterday.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Defgarden

I honestly don't pay enough attention to Brown to really notice all of his apparent bad play. Seems like people woudn't care if he didn't score more than 20 goals if he didn't turn the puck over as much and didn't kill plays by shooting from the outside. He's also become somewhat of a diver in my opinion. It's great that he's drawing penalties, but he looks like a jackass doing it, and eventually he's going to get sloppy with it and get called for it.

That game was exciting to watch though!

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 09:58 AM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
The Kings would be stupid to have one of our Top 2 defenseman fight Scott Hartnell...if Richards wants to fight JJ then so be it, but not taking a JJ for Hartnell trade off.

I don't understand why all you fight guys just can't enjoy a good hard hitting playoff style game.

Thats what makes the playoffs so great, no fighting.
i don't care about the fight, just push back instead of being made to look like a bunch of pansies. the intensity is what makes a great playoff series, guys that aren't willing to give an inch.

a late ******* pronger shot after the whistle and NO ONE even skates up to him or taps him on the shoulder? that's inexcusable no matter how you slice it.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by not tellin View Post
i don't care about the fight, just push back instead of being made to look like a bunch of pansies. the intensity is what makes a great playoff series, guys that aren't willing to give an inch.

a late ******* pronger shot after the whistle and NO ONE even skates up to him or taps him on the shoulder? that's inexcusable no matter how you slice it.
Especially after the way he manhandled Handzus last season for the same exact reason.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:07 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
I honestly don't pay enough attention to Brown to really notice all of his apparent bad play. Seems like people woudn't care if he didn't score more than 20 goals if he didn't turn the puck over as much and didn't kill plays by shooting from the outside. He's also become somewhat of a diver in my opinion. It's great that he's drawing penalties, but he looks like a jackass doing it, and eventually he's going to get sloppy with it and get called for it.

That game was exciting to watch though!
I believe he's been whistled for diving at least twice this year. The secret is out around the league and amongst the refs. Stoll's goal should never have happened because Brown should have been called for diving on that play.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:08 AM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Yes. I agree.

He's been doing that stupid crap for a long time now. The boarding penalty was a little out of character for him, but then again, I also think that if Johnson had foughty Hartnell or put a stick in his balls, Brown wouldn't have felt the need to try and kill Richards.

It's a positive. Before tonight it was Dustin Brown, former hitter and former good player. Tonight it was Dustin Brown, hitter and former good player. Baby steps. He's fallen very far from grace. Getting his hitting going will get his passion flowing and eventually he will remember how he is effective at playing good hockey.
Why would Jack fight and exit for 5 mins when he is one of our top dmen and we are already wafer thin in that department?

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:11 AM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
see, I had no idea. i just thought that everyone blamed kompon because no one knew who he was, and everyone knows Hardy/Murray

but if he is the powerplay coach... thumbs down
yo dis nga srs?

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote