HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to give the backup goalie some credit?

Old
11-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Trottier
Very Random

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
Well...come to think of it...we're Islanders fans. Our GM "bar of expectations" had to be set pretty low based on the previous GM's that have run this team since 1991.
I disagree.

Just because the GMs were inferior is no excuse to ever lower your own standards.

Otherwise, you perpetuate the drek.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 04:22 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
I disagree.

Just because the GMs were inferior is no excuse to ever lower your own standards.

Otherwise, you perpetuate the drek.
That is true, Islander fans are like Met fans, we kind of persevere.

Milbury was easily the worst, he had too much faith in favorites like Shawn Bates, and tended to give away too much in a trade much like Omar Minaya with the Mets.

What I like about Snow thus far is that he is not pulling the trigger on panic trades, not trading players with decent upside for quick fixes. Hiring Gordon and wanting to play the younger guys is paying off so far, still a long season, but it is a lot more fun to watch newer younger players than to watch Viktor Kozlov and Richard Zednik underachieve for 20 game stretches.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 08:20 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Sorry, but no comparing Bailey to anyone but Schenn or Filatov. Those were the two consensus guys that people on this board wanted. Boedker is the only other possibility, and even he was well behind the other two. People didn't want to hear names like Wilson or Hodgson. Myers was the standard punchline to the Isles' potential joke pick. No way can anyone now say he should have been the pick. Let's not take the benefit of hindsight to extremes.
bingo.

regarding garth: i think he's done a very solid job. i like that he brought/brings someone who was as close to the present game as possible. i know i'm in the minority on that point, but to me, knowing the present lockeroom culture, the on-ice game, etc. is very important. i was concerned about his talent evaluation, but so far, i think the results are very solid.
of course, i get what trotts and some other posters are suggesting: i just think it often goes without saying that if the team falls flat, all bets are off. if we make the playoffs, (WHICH IS A VERY BIG "IF" considering where this team was last year, and how little we've seen this year) i will not deny being impressed. i however, don't necessarily need to see that. i'd love it, but if our currently thin roster betrays us, i won't be surprised.
the question to ask at that point is: does garth have the go-ahead to make sound, but costly, moves? i dunno.

Last edited by Disgraced Cosmonaut: 11-19-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote