HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

First Game

Old
11-19-2009, 09:05 AM
collapsethelung

vCash: 500
First Game

Hey everybody, so my buddies have been pushing me to get gear and come out to their open pick-up games for a year or two now and finally i've got all the gear I need to play. Tonight's the first game and I was just wondering if anybody had any tips for a noob.

I've played countless times outdoors during the winter in pick-up games, but never in full gear. I'd like to think that I've gotten a lot better since I first started, but it's tough to gauge when you only play during the winter when there's outdoor rinks. I'm 23 years old, 5'9", 165-70 pounds, the last time I played I was closer to 190 or so. So my question is, is there anything I should know, or any tips that you guys could give me before playing for the first time in full gear? Oh, and it's non-contact, and it seems like the skill level varies from night to night.

any help is much appreesh.

collapsethelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 09:18 AM
gintonic

I don't think there would be any big differences from playing outside than inside. You should probably find it easier as playing inside would take away any complication the elements may pose.

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:48 AM
collapsethelung

Right, I mean I've skated inside before, I'm just lookin for tips for someone playing in full equipment for the first time.

Old
11-19-2009, 11:04 AM
CuteHockeyBunny

Get ready to feel like a spartan on skates and don't get cocky with all the equipment on. There's some people that go wild once the gear goes on, thinking it will protect them from machine gun fire and thus, play recklessly. My advice to you is that the gear only stops pistol bullets so go slightly wild.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:16 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by collapsethelung View Post
Right, I mean I've skated inside before, I'm just lookin for tips for someone playing in full equipment for the first time.
It might feel bulky and awkward at first. If it's all new equipment it might be stiff, and you might feel slightly less mobile. It just takes some getting used to, but it's not a big deal.

Just don't think about it and keep playing the way you've always played.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:57 AM
EmptyNetter

1. If you decide to block shots make sure you're turned to face the shooter. All the best padding is in the front.

2. Be careful pursuing pucks along the boards. Knocking a guy down or colliding head on can do some serious damage, padding or no.

3. Be prepared to sweat a lot with the extra padding. Bring a good sized bottle of water.

4. If you've got a hockey bag practice packing and unpacking. When your gear is in a tangle with everybody else's stuff in the changing room floor it's good to methodically put everything back. It's easier to tell if anything is missing that way.

Was there anything specific?

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:26 PM
collapsethelung

Thanks for the tips erbody, i was also wondering, whereabouts should the pants be, waistwise? I pull them up and they're right around the kidneys and the lower ribs

Old
11-19-2009, 12:37 PM
gintonic

Quote:
Thanks for the tips erbody, i was also wondering, whereabouts should the pants be, waistwise? I pull them up and they're right around the kidneys and the lower ribs
That sounds correct. All pants I've even had experience with do provide the side kidney protection.

As someone did mention before, it is an adjustment to get used to all the pads on if you haven't done so before. I think I heard on average you're carrying an extra 20 pounds in full gear.

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Hey everybody, so my buddies have been pushing me to get gear and come out to their open pick-up games for a year or two now and finally i've got all the gear I need to play. Tonight's the first game and I was just wondering if anybody had any tips for a noob.

I've played countless times outdoors during the winter in pick-up games, but never in full gear. I'd like to think that I've gotten a lot better since I first started, but it's tough to gauge when you only play during the winter when there's outdoor rinks. I'm 23 years old, 5'9", 165-70 pounds, the last time I played I was closer to 190 or so. So my question is, is there anything I should know, or any tips that you guys could give me before playing for the first time in full gear? Oh, and it's non-contact, and it seems like the skill level varies from night to night.

any help is much appreesh.
I play a lot of outdoor hockey, I mainly play indoor hockey though. I may just be qualified to give you an answer about this

Okay playing outdoors obviously you do not have a regulation size ice rink unless your fave outdoor rink is regulation sized. if it is you probably have no painted lines in the ice.

This will be an adjustment as you will have to pay attention to offsides calls.

The ice quality indoors is way above outdoor ice so you will enjoy that for sure as you won't have any stress cracks or chips of ice popping up when making tight turns.

Your edges on yoru blades will last literally 10 times longer than it does outdoors as well.

Equipment ... OUTDOORS I wear a tshirt, loose longsleeve over that, a sweatshirt over that and if cold enough to be around zero (Fahrenheit) i would wear a hockey jersey over that. I wear some outdoor windbreaker pants or my CCM hockey coach windproof and waterproof skate cut leg bottomed pants.

I wear NO protective equipment outdoors except for gloves and my farrell 5 pad compression shorts in case of a wipeout which hurts on your tailbone or hip pointers.

So when playing a lot outdoors and then playing indoors getting used to equipment sucks when you have not played indoors for a while after playing outdoors a lot.

It takes a while to get used to playing hockey with equipment on, it does. You may adjust quickly but more often than not you now have more bulk on your legs, more weight, and some restrictive movement which is a necessary evil playing indoors and having protection. newer equipment is pretty light but still adds weight.

Even small things like taking a slapshot while wearing a cup take getting used to when compared to outdoors so you may have to try out different cup protection things until you find one that fits you properly without hurting your junk with a slapshot followthrough. Wristshots shouldn't bother you with that.

You may experience things like elbow pad straps causing friction burns on your arms and may want to get a compression shirt with longsleeves if you do not have one to prevent that and also to keep you cool.

Outdoors you are layering to stay warm with clothing and indoors you are trying to stay cool as you get hot pretty quickly.

For the most part you should be fine in this transition so don't sweat it too much but absolutely DO expect some things to be more difficult to do indoors after being used to outdoor hockey.

One tremendous relief about playing indoors is that you do not have to be wary of skating backwards and hitting a hole and killing yourself lol. You can trust the ice indoors 99% more than you can outdoors.

Have fun .... no doubt after a half hour playing you will be used to the change for the most part.

I know guys who do not play outdoors because they feel naked without equipment on and feel uncomfortable enough to skip it entirely.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote