HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rozsival MUST GO

Old
11-19-2009, 12:14 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

vCash: 500
I think Staal-Gilroy would be better than Staal-MDZ. Gilroy is more of a rusher than MDZ, so he's more in need of a stay at home guy to anchor the blueline.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:34 PM
mullichicken25

funny how this article comes out after Roszival plays what I would consider his best game of the season, at least the 2nd and 3rd periods

I don't really think there's anything sangs would be doing any better

ride out the rest of the year and see what kind of magic sather can work in the offseason trade-wise

I don't see how moving his contract before the season is over accomplishes anything besides putting another rookie on our blue line...unless a miracle trade is made that gives a solid Dman in return, in that case go for it, but im not holding my breathe

the bottom line is this:

Rozi is playing bad for sure, especially considering the $ he's paid, but he is not going to singlehandedly keep us out of the playoffs. Im sure this will be seen as lunacy around here, but i want rozsival on our blue line in the playoffs. He showed up big last year after a very shaky early part of the season....there is little reason to expect he wouldn't do the same this year.

mullichicken25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

gilroy has shown surprisingly little offensively...you would think he would be a better offensive player than he has shown...but he has also shown me significantly more defensively than i expected.

this team is so bass ackwards lately lol.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:40 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
funny how this article comes out after Roszival plays what I would consider his best game of the season, at least the 2nd and 3rd periods

I don't really think there's anything sangs would be doing any better

ride out the rest of the year and see what kind of magic sather can work in the offseason trade-wise

I don't see how moving his contract before the season is over accomplishes anything besides putting another rookie on our blue line...unless a miracle trade is made that gives a solid Dman in return, in that case go for it, but im not holding my breathe

the bottom line is this:

Rozi is playing bad for sure, especially considering the $ he's paid, but he is not going to singlehandedly keep us out of the playoffs. Im sure this will be seen as lunacy around here, but i want rozsival on our blue line in the playoffs. He showed up big last year after a very shaky early part of the season....there is little reason to expect he wouldn't do the same this year.
the problem isn't rozsival to me.

the problem here is Rozsival + Redden + Drury being paid 18.5 mil on the cap when they play like 10.5 mil players...that extra 8.5 mil could buy you a player like Heatley, Kovalchuk, etc...

Old
11-19-2009, 12:46 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
gilroy has shown surprisingly little offensively...you would think he would be a better offensive player than he has shown...but he has also shown me significantly more defensively than i expected.

this team is so bass ackwards lately lol.
Well, he has drastically reeled in the attack over the last several weeks. As a result he looks like a completely different player. It's kind of indicative of the change the entire team has made. Less aggressive, much more conservative, etc.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Well, he has drastically reeled in the attack over the last several weeks. As a result he looks like a completely different player. It's kind of indicative of the change the entire team has made. Less aggressive, much more conservative, etc.
i really havent seen much offensively at all from Gilroy since like game 3 of the season...its like he just...stopped. i mean every once in a while he will go in deep, etc...but thats not what im looking for from him, especially since i think hes a pretty poor boards player...i want gilroy to be trailing the play and then use his speed to get into lanes for shots...or to rush the puck up the ice, etc.

Gilroy has been fine though, dont take this as a complaint, overall ive been very happy with him since i sorta assumed he would be a huge black hole out there in his own zone...i do think though that he can give us more.

honestly the D isnt really much of a concern for me..i think theyve played fairly well..i think our problem has been our wingers not backchecking hard enough...too many times the oppositions D blows by our wingers and joins the play, and the wingers just lolly-gag back into their zone...to me thats been our biggest problem.

Old
11-19-2009, 01:04 PM
NYR Viper

I really think that Rozsival will be gone after this season. I dont see the Rangers really actively pursuing anyone right now so the cap space is a non-issue and after this season his contract is not that bad(just the cap hit). I think the plan was to bring 2 players in this year, and possibly 1 or 2 next year depending on what Girardi wants in free agency.

However, the one thing I am pretty sure Torts does not want to have is 3 rookie d-men and 2 others 25 years old or under. The same thing happened to him in TB(minus quite a bit of talent) and he lost his job for it.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 01:07 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
i really havent seen much offensively at all from Gilroy since like game 3 of the season...its like he just...stopped. i mean every once in a while he will go in deep, etc...but thats not what im looking for from him, especially since i think hes a pretty poor boards player...i want gilroy to be trailing the play and then use his speed to get into lanes for shots...or to rush the puck up the ice, etc.

Gilroy has been fine though, dont take this as a complaint, overall ive been very happy with him since i sorta assumed he would be a huge black hole out there in his own zone...i do think though that he can give us more.

honestly the D isnt really much of a concern for me..i think theyve played fairly well..i think our problem has been our wingers not backchecking hard enough...too many times the oppositions D blows by our wingers and joins the play, and the wingers just lolly-gag back into their zone...to me thats been our biggest problem.
bingo...my throat is sore from how many times i've said that this season

add the centers to that mix because i'm willing to bet that at least 40% of all goals against have been a direct result of the 3rd guy into the zone not being properly defended against by our backchecker (should typically be a centerman) Drury and Anisimov have been horrible with this, although Anisimov has improved as of late

its way too easy for unknowledgeable (is that a word?) fans to point the finger at the closest defense men to the net after a goal....or at rozsival or redden regardless of whether or not they were actually responsible

Old
11-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash the Net View Post
It's a pipe dream. Brooks is only writing what he wants the fans to agree with. Rozsival is going nowhere, and he knows that as well.

A pipe dream? Like actually getting a returnfor Gomez's bad contract? No way, these deals can andwill eventually get done. For Sather, he's probably going tohave to cough up some you with it Rozy to move the contract.

With that said, I think maybe a Sanguinetti and Rozy to say Colorado for Scott Hannan?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
A pipe dream? Like actually getting a returnfor Gomez's bad contract? No way, these deals can andwill eventually get done. For Sather, he's probably going tohave to cough up some you with it Rozy to move the contract.

With that said, I think maybe a Sanguinetti and Rozy to say Colorado for Scott Hannan?
Awful.

And I like Hannan.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 01:12 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I really think that Rozsival will be gone after this season. I dont see the Rangers really actively pursuing anyone right now so the cap space is a non-issue and after this season his contract is not that bad(just the cap hit). I think the plan was to bring 2 players in this year, and possibly 1 or 2 next year depending on what Girardi wants in free agency.

However, the one thing I am pretty sure Torts does not want to have is 3 rookie d-men and 2 others 25 years old or under. The same thing happened to him in TB(minus quite a bit of talent) and he lost his job for it.
what are you talking about?

haven't you heard that having cap space automatically = a Stanley cup this season? I've also heard that it cures AIDS and pulls troops out of Iraq...

scientists are also testing its effectiveness against the swine flu but results are inconclusive so far, however, I'm pretty optimistic

Old
11-19-2009, 01:14 PM
eco's bones

Rozsival doesn't always play bad but I can't remember one time that he had a real positive impact on a game this entire season. Several times he's had a negative impact. The Rangers should move him if they can. He makes too much not to.

No question that Sanguinetti is going to be an NHL player very soon. Whether he's ready to step in right now is a question. It looks though that Heikkinen might be a good back up plan if Sangs doesn't work. As far as protecting the goalie or anyone else--neither Sanguinetti or Heikkinen are going to fit that. I don't think the Rangers have all that much on D beyond maybe Sauer who they can turn to within the organization.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

cap space is important at the deadline for sure.....ESPECIALLY if Kovalchuk isn't signed by then...with that said, im in favor of moving Rozsival if we see Pasta is ready for the NHL...only because I think it helps us in the future to get Pasta as much NHL experience as possible.

A potential defensive core of:
Del Zotto, Sanguinetti, Staal, Gilroy, McDonagh, and Gilroy has got to have anyone out there very very happy.

Old
11-19-2009, 01:19 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
cap space is important at the deadline for sure.....ESPECIALLY if Kovalchuk isn't signed by then...with that said, im in favor of moving Rozsival if we see Pasta is ready for the NHL...only because I think it helps us in the future to get Pasta as much NHL experience as possible.

A potential defensive core of:
Del Zotto, Sanguinetti, Staal, Gilroy, McDonagh, and Gilroy has got to have anyone out there very very happy.
And that doesn't even include Sauer or Kundratek, who could still become NHL players.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
And that doesn't even include Sauer or Kundratek, who could still become NHL players.
especially since i decided to clone gilroy

Old
11-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
What made Beuke-Leetch such a great pairing wasnt that Beuke rushed the puck up the ice and Leetch played hard hitting defense...they knew their roles and complemented each other.
What made the Beukeboom-Leetch pairing so great was the fact that Brian Leetch was a dominant, Hall of Fame bound player. Jeff Beukeboom is in my opinion the most overrated Ranger player ever. The guy was constantly out of position because of those huge hits (which fans love). He was far from the steady, stay at home guy that covered for Leetch that many people here are insinuating he was.

As far as Rozsival is concerned, I don't really understand his regression. I'm guessing it's related to his recent injuries, but he seems to be physically OK. It looks to me to be more of a mental/confidence issue. He doesn't seem to be the same decision maker he was when he was scoring playoff goals in OT vs. Buffalo. This extends beyond Tortarella too, because Rosie sucked under Renney last year. I'm ready to cut bait, but again I'll be shocked if Slats finds a taker.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 01:46 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash the Net View Post
It's a pipe dream. Brooks is only writing what he wants the fans to agree with. Rozsival is going nowhere, and he knows that as well.
Brooks is MSG agent. Slats probably is about to trade Rozy with no D coming back.

I disagree with Brooks on every point.
First, Rangers are not in trouble. This a long season and all teams he mentioned are not better, they just run hot goalies. Lundqvist doesn't suck, he's being cold. that may change.
Second, toughness is not the answer. We do not allow more that 30 SOG a game. Look elsewhere.
Third, look what we are w/o Drury. We are going to be much worse w/o Rozy. He may not be sexy and fast, but he knows what he is doing, unlike his partner Gilroy that needs to spend some time in press box. Keep Rozy, we have no other option due to piss poor depth on this team all over courtesy of Cigar.
Fourth, something Brooks failed to admit: we're missing not only secondary scoring, we missing players between Gaborik and the rest. We need Zherdev, or Kostitsyn, or someone else who would be better that mediocre filling we've got.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 01:56 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
The best part is admitting this being a rebuilding year to allow the young players to get their legs under them. I think Sanguinetti should be up.
I agree. Of course, rebuilding doesn't have to equal losing. I think it just means that the focus shifts from winning at all costs to putting people in the right situations, be it giving them more responsiblity to grow or the necessary shelter to foster confidence. Sometimes losing comes with that mentality and sometimes it doesn't, our up and down record reflects that alone.

And can't a case be made for Byers or Grachev being in NY over Higgins? Higgins does do some good things but he is hardly living up to his already low expectations. Admittedly however, it is way to soon to blow it up and abandon the promise our first 10 games showed.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 02:01 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
It's kind of indicative of the change the entire team has made. Less aggressive, much more conservative, etc.
Very true, and you can see how it's affected individual players differently. Redden and Gilroy are playing well, but the offense has disappeared. On the flip side, you're seeing fewer of the glaring gaffes from Staal and Rozsival.

I'd like to raise the question of Torts' opinion of Rozsival. From undisputed TOI leader and 1st pairing PP anchor under Renney, to least amount of ice time per game of all defensemen and virtually no special teams work whatsoever. Doesn't like the player, or at least doesn't like what he brings?

I definitely had much higher expectations from Rozsvial. "Must go" sounds a little bit too much like something I'd read here though. More like, "Must get it together, consistently, and soon". But like Staal, at least part of making that happen lies with Tortorella. He's really got no choice.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 02:04 PM
DutchShamrock

I truly believe that moving Roszival won't be as hard as many believe. I think we've run through Roszival's cap hit vs real dollar salary enough times to not re-hash it. Look at Phoenix. They will lose Jovanovski at least over the summer if not by the trade deadline. He packs a huge cap hit that Phoenix will struggle to fill just to reach that dready cap floor. Now, Maloney can go out and sign a few players for $6m to fill Jovo's $6m void, or they can trade for Roszival, pay him $3m and take a $5m chunk out of their cap floor. Other teams like Nashville and Florida have similiar issues and concerns.

We've seen time and again that no one is untradeable. Gomez got a killer return with almost no cap coming back. McCabe brought the Leafs a relative ransom considering his reputation from the Toronto media, no trade clause and salary. No one wanted Heatley over the summer, right?

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
I truly believe that moving Roszival won't be as hard as many believe. I think we've run through Roszival's cap hit vs real dollar salary enough times to not re-hash it. Look at Phoenix. They will lose Jovanovski at least over the summer if not by the trade deadline. He packs a huge cap hit that Phoenix will struggle to fill just to reach that dready cap floor. Now, Maloney can go out and sign a few players for $6m to fill Jovo's $6m void, or they can trade for Roszival, pay him $3m and take a $5m chunk out of their cap floor. Other teams like Nashville and Florida have similiar issues and concerns.

We've seen time and again that no one is untradeable. Gomez got a killer return with almost no cap coming back. McCabe brought the Leafs a relative ransom considering his reputation from the Toronto media, no trade clause and salary. No one wanted Heatley over the summer, right?
These are players who at least produce 'something', Rosy really hasn't done much of anything. Thats the problem.

But yeah, someone will pick him up, i'm just afraid it won't be this season.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 02:15 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Any Rozsival support comes from feeling sorry for him...but if I'm wrong and someone actually like how he plays, then I'll buy them their next red tipped walking stick.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 02:24 PM
beastly115

Why the **** was Rozsival on the PP against Wash?

I thought Torts didn't like the guy. Sticking him on the bottom pair and very few minutes. Then he gets PP time?

Ship this loser out. 5M for what? A JOKE. As much as I hate to declare this a rebuild year, it's probably for the best.

This team isn't 1 or 2 players away from contending. Ship Rozsival out and give Sangs a shot. We probably won't make the PO's but the young guys will gain loads of experience and hopefully a top 10 pick.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 02:32 PM
RS085*

Rozsival should be demoted if theres no market for underachieving defensemen, which I think speaks for itself.

What happened to accountability?

Sanguinetti isnt Pronger but at least its a fresh defenseman getting valuable experience if he is called up. SOMEONE other than Rozsival.

Theres no excuse, honestly.

RS085* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Ola

Worst article ever by Brooks.

We need a 6th crease clearing D? Like that wouldn't hurt, but it should be like nr 2439th on our list.

We have no skill whatsoever. If it wasn't for Vinny Prospal we could be dead last in the entire league.

Then the leading beat writer of this team writes a long article about how we need a crease clearing D???

Wow, talk about the coverage of this team in a nut shell. The worst in pro-sports. Like for 7 years everyone in this league trapped, and we didn't and it basically hurt the org tremendously. Nobody in the press even wrote about it. All they could ant up was "you can't trap in NY". Well you could only win by trapping, thats why everyone did it -- so I guess its perfectly fine to loose for 7 years in NY then?

Yeah -- lets get us a 6th D to clear the crease -- then we will probably become a contender. Right. Makes me wanna puke reading that article.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote