HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NFL players admit hiding concussion symptoms. Is the NHL any different?

Old
11-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Antidote

vCash: 500
NFL players admit hiding concussion symptoms. Is the NHL any different?

After watching Moreau get his head taken off with a "clean" hit last night, I came across this article on the NFL this morning. It basically says in an informal survey, almost 20% of NFL players admit hiding concussion symptoms.

Many pro sports are governed by the similar unwritten codes which steer players towards performing while injured. Hockey history is full of this - Bobby Baun scoring the Stanley Cup winning goal while playing on a broken leg etc. etc.. It's important to tough it out, not let the guys down, suck it up, insert your own tough guy cliche.

NFL players have a much greater chance of head injury because of the potential for helmet to helmet contact on every play, although it's a relatively slower game than hockey. But despite concussion syndrome information being widely circulated to NFL teams and increased attention to head shots by the officials, if you believe this survey 30 of 160 players say they have hidden symptoms.

But how different is hockey really? Doesn't this sound like a description of today's hockey?
"Players are bigger, faster, stronger," Baltimore's Birk said, echoing other athletes. "It's simple physics: Force equals mass times acceleration. It is a violent game, and there are inherent risks to the game itself. ... Collisions are becoming more intense."

Head shots in hockey have been given recent attention by media although the GM's chose not to codify it as a specific penalty as it is in the NFL. Again, if you believe the informal survey, it suggests that there are a couple of players on each NHL team who have hidden symptoms and, in avoiding treatment, are setting themselves up for serious later-life problems.

I've kind of lost the point of this ramble other than despite the recent media and league attention to head shots in hockey, the situation is likely worse than it seems.

http://www.buffalonews.com/breakings...ry/866146.html

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:17 AM
tiger_80

I never had a concussion, but I understand it's almost impossible to engage in intense physical activities when you have one: you just get very sick.
So I don't think it happens very frequently. Other types of injuries is a of course a different story.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:22 AM
BlueBelle

Ah, but a concussion is a bruised brain right? And some concussions are minor and others not. Some guys are back right away after concussion like symptoms, others take a very long time or never come back right?

I think that this article is talking about the "concussion like symptoms" and that a lot of NFL players have them or get them but think that they are minor and nothing to worry about. I absolutely believe that NHL players would do the same thing. They will have what are considered to be symptoms of a concussion, but brush it off as nothing because they can walk, they can get out of bed, they're not throwing up all of the time so they don't think that its a big deal or that there was no brain damage.

Has anyone else hurt themselves but not thought much of it? Then sometimes it gets worse and othertimes it gets better? I think we see that often in hockey. Someone gets hit, takes a fall, whatever, feels ok to play the next night but then suddenly they realize something is not right and then they admit to their injury. These guys are still people and I think some of them have the opinion that "I'm a tough guy, that was just a little hit/spill/whatever" I can do this.

BlueBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:55 AM
GagnerforGod

Concussions can be pretty variable. I had one that kept me in bed for close to 8 months. Other times, if it's minor enough, you'll just have slight dizziness... it'd be possible in football, where you're really only playing 10 seconds before stopping, but I doubt you could do it in hockey.

GagnerforGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:23 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
I never had a concussion, but I understand it's almost impossible to engage in intense physical activities when you have one: you just get very sick.
So I don't think it happens very frequently. Other types of injuries is a of course a different story.
I've had 3 diagnosed... only the last one was bad, but I never felt "sick." Just foggy and headaches. I basically had about 4-6 hours blacked right out while talking complete gibberish; I had no bloody idea where I was or who I was basically.

I never suffered any set backs getting better though. Did nothing for a week, went for a run, and felt fine, and was back playing sports within 2 weeks...

I think that's the biggest problem with them - they're experienced very differently by everyone, and even when I think of getting that one... I took a good shot to the jaw, but I've taken a hell of a lot worse and bounced right back up.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 01:10 PM
missinthejets

i think at least part of the difference between football and hockey is the tiny number of games in a football season compared to hockey. There is definately a lot more pressure to not miss a game when you only play 16 regular season games and a couple losses can sink your season.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote