HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#18: Flyers at Kings - November 18, 2009 - 10:30 PM (ET)

Old
11-19-2009, 08:11 AM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

vCash: 685
I was sooooo tired during the game, I have a hard time remembering it

Did the refs screw us a coupla times? I was a zombie

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 08:43 AM
chaosof99*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post

Well, our players were boarded three times and got one call to show for it, including one where the Kings commentators declared that Carcillo was diving (I think that one is in the highlights on NHL.com).

Also they pretty much ****ed us over by giving the Kings a two minute 5-on-3 power play at the end of the first period (the last 30 or so stretched into the 3rd), but the team killed it.

Though the refs also missed some calls against us.

Why you would be so tired I don't know though. We live in the same timezone and I actually like westcoast games better because unlike eastcoast games they don't break my sleep in two.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 08:47 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post

Naw. It was a well-called and well-played tilt.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

vCash: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Well, our players were boarded three times and got one call to show for it, including one where the Kings commentators declared that Carcillo was diving (I think that one is in the highlights on NHL.com).

Also they pretty much ****ed us over by giving the Kings a two minute 5-on-3 power play at the end of the first period (the last 30 or so stretched into the 3rd), but the team killed it.

Though the refs also missed some calls against us.

Why you would be so tired I don't know though. We live in the same timezone and I actually like westcoast games better because unlike eastcoast games they don't break my sleep in two.
I'm not sure why, probably because I decided to watch the Stars-Wings game in the bed and remain there for the Flyers game :p

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 09:17 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

Tried to watch this one from bed. Fell asleep 5 minutes in, and woke when the kings scored. Saw the flyers go down 5-3 (WTF was THAT?) and fell back asleep. Pleasantly surprised to see the result this AM

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:22 AM
BringBackStevens

Flyers didn't play very well but they did what they need to do on the road. Very nice rebound from Boucher after that putrid first goal.

I definitely nodded out for the first 5 minutes of the 3rd and missed JVR's goal. These late games get harder and harder to watch with every passing year of my life

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:31 AM
BringBackStevens

Anze Kopitar looks like he's been up 6 straight days on PCP or something with those dark eyes

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:36 AM
chromemaro

watched game instead of studying. went to exam 45 min late and failed...go flyers lol

chromemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:51 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Anze Kopitar looks like he's been up 6 straight days on PCP or something with those dark eyes
Next big news story -

Anze Kopitar scores 120 points in an NHL season, while on LSD!!!

Just like that pitcher from way back.

Interview with Anze - "yeah man, some nights I thought the goal was a bear, and I was just feeding him fish. It was crazy."

"Other nights, I felt like the puck was toxic, so I kept dishing it to Dustin Brown, who keep feeding the bear. He then turned into a clown, and I went into the locker room weeping."

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:57 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Boucher deserves a lot of credit. It would have been easy for him to pack it in after letting in another poor opening goal; he wasn't tested too much until the third and, when he was, he made some excellent saves.

I really like the Bartulis/Parent pairing; Bart has definitely impressed me in this short stint with the club.

Just like every other game they've played together, the Carcillo-Betts-Lappy line was excellent; their full minute shift with about 3 minutes left in the third was key to protecting that lead. The Kings were buzzin' and that shift kept them out of the Flyers' zone for well over a minute.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:15 AM
CptCannon

Spede mah boi!

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:22 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Oh, something I noticed last night was L.A.'s ability to neutralize the Flyers' breakout, especially in the first period.

They had their defenseman pinch down to the Flyers' winger after the first outlet pass by the Flyers' defenseman; this often prevented the winger from completing the short exit pass to the Flyers' centre and was a big reason why the Flyers were pinned for much of the first period. It looked like the Kings backed off from that tactic when they took the lead and didn't really use it again after Philly tied it up or took the lead.

Hopefully the Flyers' look over that tape and figure out a way to counter it, whether by communicating more actively on the breakout or figuring out a way to disguise what they're doing.

Old
11-19-2009, 11:25 AM
kicksave27

That full 2 min 5 on 3 was brutal, when you could have taken the guy who was roughing richards in the corner to even it up.

I'd be funny to imagine other areas of life where Dustin "fall down" Brown spontaneously falls down . I wonder if he falls down if an old lady accidentally taps him with a shopping cart at a store. It'd be fun to watch him in a mosh pit.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Oh, something I noticed last night was L.A.'s ability to neutralize the Flyers' breakout, especially in the first period.

They had their defenseman pinch down to the Flyers' winger after the first outlet pass by the Flyers' defenseman; this often prevented the winger from completing the short exit pass to the Flyers' centre and was a big reason why the Flyers were pinned for much of the first period. It looked like the Kings backed off from that tactic when they took the lead and didn't really use it again after Philly tied it up or took the lead.

Hopefully the Flyers' look over that tape and figure out a way to counter it, whether by communicating more actively on the breakout or figuring out a way to disguise what they're doing.
Well, they were killing us with the forecheck in the third period. And, yeah, they need to make sure everyone is on the same page. It was the thing we're used to seeing. The two D back there and the forwards all flying up ice and the D (I remember Coburn on one occasion) has two forecheckers in his grill and no help nearby.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:30 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, they were killing us with the forecheck in the third period. And, yeah, they need to make sure everyone is on the same page. It was the thing we're used to seeing. The two D back there and the forwards all flying up ice and the D (I remember Coburn on one occasion) has two forecheckers in his grill and no help nearby.
True enough. The Kings owned the play in all areas of the Flyers' zone in the third period last night. From faceoffs, to the boards, to chasing loose pucks....

I just noticed that as a tactic, if it had been used against the Flyers this season, it wasn't noticeably effective in any other game this season.

Old
11-19-2009, 11:41 AM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Next big news story -

Anze Kopitar scores 120 points in an NHL season, while on LSD!!!

Just like that pitcher from way back.

Interview with Anze - "yeah man, some nights I thought the goal was a bear, and I was just feeding him fish. It was crazy."

"Other nights, I felt like the puck was toxic, so I kept dishing it to Dustin Brown, who keep feeding the bear. He then turned into a clown, and I went into the locker room weeping."
Can do, man. Can do. I'm gonna be honest with you, Rod. You look like a giant eagle with fire all around you, and you've got a mountain for a face.

RoDu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:57 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
the 3rd period might have been one of the worst periods of hockey I have seen the Flyers play in awhile.(I dont watch every game due to the shift I work).
bad defensive coeverage, countless turnovers. It seemed the Kings hemmed us in the entire 3rd period. You do have to give them credit for some of it, but I saw so many slopy plays and unforced turnovers in the defensive zone that I had a problem with, cant count the number of times I was yelling at the computer.
I said it earlier we better play better tonite or we will not be as fortunate. Even with Emery in goal.
Gotta say I am envious of them having a kid like Drew Doughty. kid has skills you just cant teach.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!

Great work by the team, now they're starting to look like a possible Stanley Cup winner

Who the heck wanted to fire Stevens? The man is a genius.

Wolfy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

I can't believe this GDT is almost 1000 posts!

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 02:27 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
the 3rd period might have been one of the worst periods of hockey I have seen the Flyers play in awhile.(I dont watch every game due to the shift I work).
bad defensive coeverage, countless turnovers. It seemed the Kings hemmed us in the entire 3rd period. You do have to give them credit for some of it, but I saw so many slopy plays and unforced turnovers in the defensive zone that I had a problem with, cant count the number of times I was yelling at the computer.
I said it earlier we better play better tonite or we will not be as fortunate. Even with Emery in goal.
Gotta say I am envious of them having a kid like Drew Doughty. kid has skills you just cant teach.
Sometimes you're just gonna have games/periods like that. The fact that we still came out of it with 2 points says something about what kind of team this is I think. Last year, we blow the lead and lose the game in my opinion.

As for Doughty, yeah he's no joke. On the other hand I bet there are 29 teams out there thinking, "I'm envious that they have a kid like JVR"

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 02:31 PM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
As for Doughty, yeah he's no joke. On the other hand I bet there are 29 teams out there thinking, "I'm envious that they have a kid like JVR"
Very true. It's nice to see that the season from hell had one bright spot. It took a while to see the benefits, but it's here in spades.

I had reservations about him (based mainly on seeing him in the WJC and not having the chance to see him anywhere else) and I wanted Voracek on the Flyers. But having watching JVR this year, he's amazing and I'm very happy he's a Flyer.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Great work by the team, now they're starting to look like a possible Stanley Cup winner

Who the heck wanted to fire Stevens? The man is a genius.
While I don't fully agree, his decision to kick OKT down to about the 9th spot on the depth chart was pure genius.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 03:05 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
While I don't fully agree, his decision to kick OKT down to about the 9th spot on the depth chart was pure genius.
I gotta say... last year was lonely as hell without your comments

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I gotta say... last year was lonely as hell without your comments
100% agreed

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Oh I wouldn't worry about that. When Bartus starts getting beat up and smashed in by the big boys he'll most certainly insert OKT to clean things up.

Wolfy* is offline   Reply With Quote