HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Edmontonian visting the Garden

Old
11-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Ogopogo*

vCash: 500
Edmontonian visting the Garden

Hi guys,

I am in town on business and I had the opportunity to see the Rangers take on the Capitals last night. It is my first time in New York and, of course, my first time at MSG.

It was a great time. Rangers fans are loud and passionate - it is the loudest arena I have been to - perhaps not quite as loud as the 2006 Oilers run to the finals but still, the loudest regular season game I have ever been to. It was a great hockey atmosphere and I enjoyed the game very much. Love the reception Eddie Giacomin received as well.

Thanks for showing this Canadian a good time at MSG.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
It sounded like a good crowd on TV.

I've been able to watch a lot more hockey this season on TV -- I'd completely forgotten that most other arenas aren't like MSG for a Rangers game.

A few years ago, I took my then-roommate to a Rangers-Avs game. He's a big basketball fan, but had never been to a hockey game. He told me he was impressed with how loud and boisterous the crowd was, just before I was going to complain to him that this was the quietest Rangers game I had ever been to!

007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Blueblood 2

I bet you enjoyed the weather too. Not bad for mid November, eh?

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Hey I'm glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. I wish we could have won that game and most would agree it was within our grasp. It's even better that a fan from Canada gives us some props, we're usually exchanging jabs or at least I am.

I'm sure the crowd was buzzing a bit last night considering our history with the caps in the playoffs and earlier this year, and of course AO playing on New York's center stage.

And yeah, the weather in NY has been nothing short of great for November. I don't remember the last time I was still wearing jeans and a hoodie this late in the year -- I'm usually rockin the winter jacket and maybe a hat around now.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 05:28 PM
blueshirt4lyfe

its funny how the acoustics in MSG make it seem so quiet on TV.

blueshirt4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshirt4lyfe View Post
That game was also on Versus who has some of the ********* equipment I've ever seen. The audio on Versus is awful, and last night, watching the HD feed (if you can even call it HD) was like watching the game through a screen door it was so bad.

I was watchin on a huge samsung TV too, can't imagine how bad it was on smaller TVs.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 07:43 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsBlueforNYR View Post
That game was also on Versus who has some of the ********* equipment I've ever seen. The audio on Versus is awful, and last night, watching the HD feed (if you can even call it HD) was like watching the game through a screen door it was so bad.

I was watchin on a huge samsung TV too, can't imagine how bad it was on smaller TVs.
Versus' HD has always been terrible but last night it was beyond brutal. Felt like I was watching a standard definition picture that was stretched out.

Back on topic, I'm glad you had a good time. With Ovechkin in the house, the place was probably louder then normal and games against the Caps have always been good ones from the lockout on starting off with that Malik game.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 10:14 PM
morffin

The Eddie Giacomin ovation was great...glad you enjoyed the Rangers experience.

The crowd was loud for some of the game ...but overall it wasnt that loud ... you would really be impressed if you saw The Garden rocking like it does when the Rangers are playing well.

Always nice to get props from visiting fans ...esp fans from the Great White North.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 11:20 PM
RS085*

Go to a playoff game.

RS085* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 04:34 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblood 2 View Post
I bet you enjoyed the weather too. Not bad for mid November, eh?
Yes, the weather was excellent as well. I spent a lot of time walking around Manhattan and it was very comfortable.

I should clarify what I meant about MSG being loud: When the Rangers scored or there was a fight, the place exploded - it wasn't a sustained loudness all night long. I am sure playoff games have the sustained loudness - but it was neat to hear how loud MSG can get.

The guy that I went to the game with and I were saying that the 1994 Cup victory must have been deafening.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 01:48 PM
RS085*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryn Duliba View Post
Yes, the weather was excellent as well. I spent a lot of time walking around Manhattan and it was very comfortable.

I should clarify what I meant about MSG being loud: When the Rangers scored or there was a fight, the place exploded - it wasn't a sustained loudness all night long. I am sure playoff games have the sustained loudness - but it was neat to hear how loud MSG can get.

The guy that I went to the game with and I were saying that the 1994 Cup victory must have been deafening.

Not sure if you noticed but the lighting. MSG is known for dimming the lights on the crowd so the attention is on the ice, basically like a Broadway show.

Yay or nay? I think youll see most other places are much brighter.

Its getting renovated into an upper and lower bowl like all other arenas today and theyre going to improve lighting but I wonder if they keep the current lighting scheme...

also, those walkways between concourses are being removed too.

RS085* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 03:13 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshirt4lyfe View Post
It's the tv feed.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
the HD feed was pretty bad the other night, but only from the camera view of the actual live action.. replays, side shots, coach shots, random player shots, etc looked be in quality HD..

looked to be only the regular game camera view that was messed up, or maybe its just me

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
the HD feed was pretty bad the other night, but only from the camera view of the actual live action.. replays, side shots, coach shots, random player shots, etc looked be in quality HD..

looked to be only the regular game camera view that was messed up, or maybe its just me
I noticed that too. It was as if someone took the contrast bar and turned it up all the way.

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 04:02 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryn Duliba View Post

sustained loudness used to be a staple of fan support at Rangers games. Unfortunately that is no longer the case in recent years.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote