HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

11/18/09 Will you watch King's Ransom (tonight or another time)?

View Poll Results: will you watch King's Ransome (tonight or another time)?
Already watched it 14 36.84%
No 10 26.32%
Yes 12 31.58%
Maybe 1 2.63%
I want to but it will hurt too much 1 2.63%
Other, please explain 0 0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Slats432

vCash: 500
I thought it was interesting and insightful. Pocklington looked at it as a business transaction, they knew he was going to be a free agent, and decided to move him.

What came out was a few things.

1. Gretz was going to be semi-hardball in negotiations.
2. Gretz could have nixed the deal and said let it go.
3. If he could do things again the same, he would.
4. Sather was very pissed.

Thinking on business terms, if Pocklington had not screwed up his other business dealings, Gretzky probably would have remained an Oiler. Probably makes many hate him even more now.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOiler View Post
Of all the sites linked here, the Journal site is the slowest by a long shot. I wonder what they're using for a server? An Ipod?
Ummm

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 03:54 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432 View Post
I thought it was interesting and insightful. Pocklington looked at it as a business transaction, they knew he was going to be a free agent, and decided to move him.

What came out was a few things.

1. Gretz was going to be semi-hardball in negotiations.
2. Gretz could have nixed the deal and said let it go.
3. If he could do things again the same, he would.
4. Sather was very pissed.

Thinking on business terms, if Pocklington had not screwed up his other business dealings, Gretzky probably would have remained an Oiler. Probably makes many hate him even more now.
We agree I am just adding to your thoughts which I agree with.

I didn't watch the special but I am well aware of the behind the scenes happenings as I have read quite a bit about it.

1. Gretzky wanted to be the highest paid player in the game and he should have been. It is obvious that Pocklington could have not have kept everybody but basically what he heard was 15 million and that is what he wanted. Pocklington had no real interest in making a hockey deal. If he really did, he would have told his GM about the deal before it was already completed. Pocklington had to keep his best player and work everything else around him. That is what a real owner that cares about his team would have done. He only cared about his team as a business and in money terms, he wasn't interested in the hockey team itself. Though I believed that move backfired on him, Imagine what the team would have been worth if Gretzky was still on it!

2. He could have but I think by that time he was angry, hurt and felt there was no turning back. When Pocklington phoned and basically lambasted Gretzky and his new wife and Gretzky overhears the whole call. There was really no turning back at that point.

3. Many decisions are like that, he obviously has some regrets but when you look back at any decision that may have been very difficult you tend to look at the positive. I am sure he many more business opportunities playing in LA then he would have had here and he was primarily responsible for the expansion of the game. That has to be good for the ego.

4. I felt sorry for Sather, he was never consulted it was too late but I know from other things I have read that he tried hard to stop it but it was already to far gone. He regrets that trade to this day.

21 years later and that "trade" (sale) still bothers me! It was really the end of any hockey innocence for many Edmontonians. It was the day for me that the sport turned into the business.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 04:03 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 168
Thanks for the daily fix

I have seen the show and thought it was lacking a bit of something

For those old enough to remember the fallout of the trade will be disgusted by how many lies peter puck told in the show

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBelle View Post
SERIOUSLY! How does the canada.com network allow themselves to have such a poor product? Journal website is horrible again this morning.

Homestand a chance for Oilers to make up ground
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...879/story.html

Oil looks forward to return of grinders
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...889/story.html

Oilers run Twitter contest to watch game with Kevin Smith
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...011/story.html

The clock is ticking
http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/co...85116-sun.html

Squandered opportunities
http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/my...71151-sun.html

11-19-2009, 05:13 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
We agree I am just adding to your thoughts which I agree with.

I didn't watch the special but I am well aware of the behind the scenes happenings as I have read quite a bit about it.

1. Gretzky wanted to be the highest paid player in the game and he should have been. It is obvious that Pocklington could have not have kept everybody but basically what he heard was 15 million and that is what he wanted. Pocklington had no real interest in making a hockey deal. If he really did, he would have told his GM about the deal before it was already completed. Pocklington had to keep his best player and work everything else around him. That is what a real owner that cares about his team would have done. He only cared about his team as a business and in money terms, he wasn't interested in the hockey team itself. Though I believed that move backfired on him, Imagine what the team would have been worth if Gretzky was still on it!

2. He could have but I think by that time he was angry, hurt and felt there was no turning back. When Pocklington phoned and basically lambasted Gretzky and his new wife and Gretzky overhears the whole call. There was really no turning back at that point.

3. Many decisions are like that, he obviously has some regrets but when you look back at any decision that may have been very difficult you tend to look at the positive. I am sure he many more business opportunities playing in LA then he would have had here and he was primarily responsible for the expansion of the game. That has to be good for the ego.

4. I felt sorry for Sather, he was never consulted it was too late but I know from other things I have read that he tried hard to stop it but it was already to far gone. He regrets that trade to this day.

21 years later and that "trade" (sale) still bothers me! It was really the end of any hockey innocence for many Edmontonians. It was the day for me that the sport turned into the business.

Exactly.

And what makes it still so hard to deal with isn't the fact we were forced to learn hockey from a buisiness angle...it was the fact our 'buisiness man' was really just a con artist.

Thats why the one question I would have like for the documenary to have asked was:

Peter: 'Why didn't you just try to sell Gretzky...as an Oiler...along with the rest of the franchise?'

Gretzky was HUGE back then...he was bigger that anyone but Jordan. I gotta' believe there would have been some interested parties...wanting to hold a stock in the Edmonton Oilers around that time.

But no, that would have taken time and Peter Puck wanted a quick fix.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote