HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings v. Flyers: Post Game THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
11-19-2009, 10:36 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Now I am all confused. Maybe I am thinking of the first goal?

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Lol. You are assuming Ivanans can make contact with a hit, legal or otherwise.
I am stating that there should be an orchestrated dump in to the goaltender with pronger on the ice and Ivanans go in an do what he is supposed to do. Intimidate. Take a penalty if need be but make Pronger look small and make him think twice of using that stick of his the rest of the game. Why have Ivanans in the line up unless he intimidates? I'd be all for Ivanans taking a penalty each game he plays to make the other team think twice.
I'd rather him nt in lineup but if he is....might as well get something out of him. don't you agree? what does him playing 4 minutes do? Other than make everyone else tired because he can't be on the ice any longer than 4-5 minutes

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:37 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
Odie was a little slow to pick up van Riemsdyk on the third goal, but that was a really quickfire play right off the faceoff.

they were in the right positions for the first goal. Handzus was down and Quick couldn't react fast enough.
Yeah, the JVR goal was part luck on the board bounce but O'D still has to take the man there, no excuses.

The first goal was all on Doughty though. His pass up the middle was picked off and then he had the man in front and let him go tap in the rebound.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:39 PM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
i knew it from the first game he ever played against the Kings... MAN, i hate Carcillo so much, i want him on our team.

i love the guy.
Me too, but it ain't gonna happen soon.

Betcha 5 bucks Lombardi signs Scottie Upshall to a 4 year deal this summer.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:40 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
He knows the rep he came into the league with. Why wouldn't he want to show that he'd stand up for himself and not let a ****** like Hartnell push him around?
I'd prefer our players don't make their decisions based on trying to live up to the rep's they've been given on internet message boards but that's just me I guess.

He stood up for himself as much as Hartnell did. It was a common hockey tiff. I can't believe you guys are making such a big deal about this. They were jawing, Jack was laughing at Hartnell, and Jack continued to get under Hartnell's skin all game.

Old
11-19-2009, 10:43 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Now I am all confused. Maybe I am thinking of the first goal?
First goal: Doughty's errant pass up the middle is intercepted, shot on goal, Doughty doesn't take out his man and the guy pots the rebound, while Doughty tries to play goalie in the crease.

Second goal: Puck gets passed from behind the net to Richards who buries it low while Simmer and Zeus stand idly by.

Third goal: Shot from the slot by Coburn bounces off the back wall, JVR grabs it and slams it home while O'D stands there having reacted too late to his man moving in on goal.

Old
11-19-2009, 10:47 PM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
As an "outsider", its interesting to see how the perception of Brown ebbs and flows. Personally, I see his play this season (projected over 82 games) as right in line with expectations. He'll end up with around 20-25 goals, 60-65 points, and 250+ shots/hits. He's not an exceptionally "smart" player from a hockey sense perspective, but he does produce. A valuable player in my book and well worth the contract. In addition, is this the most critical team page on HF Boards? The collective microscope that is used is pretty amazing.
This is one of those "outsider" looking at the stat line and occasional game type deals.

Nobody can really criticize Brown's numbers - he is on par for his skill level, but that isn't the problem. The issue is that he doesn't play a "winning" brand of hockey. He puts up some modest goal totals and some sexy hits, but his situational awareness, and yeah, I'll bring it up again since more folks seem on board, his hockey sense isn't anywhere comeasurate with the role in which he has been cast.

If Brown could ever stop thinking out there, he would be dangerous. The game just doesn't come naturally to him, and when he tries, he fails. He has had some great moments, especially in the third period against Pittsburgh 2 weeks ago, but for the most part he sandbags the team with horrible decision making.

We know he can be successful when he acts like the bull in the china shop, but it is fewer and further between than it should be.

Old
11-19-2009, 10:52 PM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Possibly. But if I was in Brown's position I make that hit as well. Hits worse than that were being made the entire game and nothing was being called, why would his hit have been called for anything?
I think the big difference is that the Stoll hit, in which Carcillo was trying to draw a call, and another like it in the first period (I can't remember who threw it) were both in the course of action for two players pursuing a 50/50 loose puck.

Brown's check was a hit from behind for a hit's sake - it wasn't as though it was a battle for a loose puck. Brown came in with a check in mind on a player with clear possesion, and yeah, he hit him from behind into the boards. It looked like a fair call.

Old
11-19-2009, 11:08 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
This is one of those "outsider" looking at the stat line and occasional game type deals.

Nobody can really criticize Brown's numbers - he is on par for his skill level, but that isn't the problem. The issue is that he doesn't play a "winning" brand of hockey. He puts up some modest goal totals and some sexy hits, but his situational awareness, and yeah, I'll bring it up again since more folks seem on board, his hockey sense isn't anywhere comeasurate with the role in which he has been cast.

If Brown could ever stop thinking out there, he would be dangerous. The game just doesn't come naturally to him, and when he tries, he fails. He has had some great moments, especially in the third period against Pittsburgh 2 weeks ago, but for the most part he sandbags the team with horrible decision making.

We know he can be successful when he acts like the bull in the china shop, but it is fewer and further between than it should be.
stretched out and lumping it all in the highly en-vogue Frolov way, his numbers aren't all that impressive either... Brown has 10 goals in his last 50 games and 15 goals / 32 points (and -10) in his last 82.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:18 PM
Hollywood

Can you really blame Brown any forwards for not producing that aren't on the first line though? seriously? Any 5 on 5 players outside the first line that get PP time play with foreign players. This is a big factor
This kills our ability on PP2 and also gaining a secondary attack. Name me a King that has more Goals than Frolov since he became a King. One would think he is our go to guy but he's not. He's on our 3rd line shutdown line... Our last two coaches have in my opinion completely misutilized our offensive threats.

Last edited by Hollywood: 11-19-2009 at 11:19 PM. Reason: mistakes in spelling
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 12:50 AM
Quattro

jesus christ, this board has completely lost it's mind

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 12:51 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
I agree.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 01:16 AM
bland

Quote:
No, just a few selected individuals have their heads stuck in the sand.

Old
11-20-2009, 01:36 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
I will admit, Kings aside, the past two weeks of my life have been stressful to the point of insanity. Invariably it has affected my judgement on all things.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 02:12 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
First goal: Doughty's errant pass up the middle is intercepted, shot on goal, Doughty doesn't take out his man and the guy pots the rebound, while Doughty tries to play goalie in the crease.

Second goal: Puck gets passed from behind the net to Richards who buries it low while Simmer and Zeus stand idly by.

Third goal: Shot from the slot by Coburn bounces off the back wall, JVR grabs it and slams it home while O'D stands there having reacted too late to his man moving in on goal.
I agree with you on the clearance but the rebound was not his fault, the way quick came out limited the way he could play the forward and thus had to try to slide in behind quick to try and stop the puck.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 08:53 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:

This also came immediately after a faceoff win by Philly, just after Quick froze the puck beside/behind the net - with no Flyer near him and a Kings D in front of Quick ready to shoot the puck down the ice. The Kings were shorthanded, but if you have a clearcut chance to clear the puck, you take it, rather than risk a faceoff in your zone. But knowing their luck, any pass would have been picked off and in the net anyhow.

It's not that it was a bad play by Quick, but imo there was a much better option right in front of him. I had a bad feeling as soon as he froze that puck.

The Kings didn't deserve to win this game anyway - their first goal was soft, their (full 2:00) 5-on-3 was EMBARRASSING, and Boucher really only had to make a few tough saves in the 3rd - despite how many SOGs the Kings had.

I am surprised how much of a different team they are without Smyth.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 09:23 AM
Ollie Weeks

Tomorrow can't come too soon. We need our next fix.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 10:27 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Moses View Post
Tomorrow can't come too soon. We need our next fix.
We're gonna need the voodoo against Calgary.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 11:11 AM
not tellin*

Quote:
I'd prefer our players don't make their decisions based on trying to live up to the rep's they've been given on internet message boards but that's just me I guess.

He stood up for himself as much as Hartnell did. It was a common hockey tiff. I can't believe you guys are making such a big deal about this. They were jawing, Jack was laughing at Hartnell, and Jack continued to get under Hartnell's skin all game.
this is not an isolated incident, it seems to be a disease that is spreading throughout the team. that's johnsons favorite thing to do is smile and laugh when he gets into a heated situation, he needs to wipe that smirk off his face and start acting like a mad man, no one in this league takes him seriously.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 11:31 AM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by not tellin View Post
this is not an isolated incident, it seems to be a disease that is spreading throughout the team. that's johnsons favorite thing to do is smile and laugh when he gets into a heated situation, he needs to wipe that smirk off his face and start acting like a mad man, no one in this league takes him seriously.
No one takes him seriously? Really? How many NHL players did you poll? The only player quotes that I ever hear about Jack is that he's pound for pound one of the strongest players in hockey and that they hate playing against him. By the way, how often does Jack get in a "heated situation"? By heated situation I assume you mean where there is a mutual chance to drop the gloves. This year there hasn't been one besides the last game. The only other time I can think of that Jack didn't throw when he was challenged was when Blake grabbed him out of the way and did his thing (which by the way, holding back a friend when a one on one altercation is happening is a sin amongst men).

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 11:57 AM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
No one takes him seriously? Really? How many NHL players did you poll? The only player quotes that I ever hear about Jack is that he's pound for pound one of the strongest players in hockey and that they hate playing against him. By the way, how often does Jack get in a "heated situation"? By heated situation I assume you mean where there is a mutual chance to drop the gloves. This year there hasn't been one besides the last game. The only other time I can think of that Jack didn't throw when he was challenged was when Blake grabbed him out of the way and did his thing (which by the way, holding back a friend when a one on one altercation is happening is a sin amongst men).
LOL, it was said in jest. i love jack, i really do. i just want to see some fire from him that i know it's there, actually i want to see it from anyone and everyone. i do admit that this could possibly be a bit premature and have focused a bit too much on this specific instance but i pray to anyone that this team steps up that aspect come playoff time otherwise it's going to be a long and hard series to watch.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 12:29 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Good god man, if you're sick go to the doctor.
Under NO CIRCUMSTANCE must you allow the lack of goal scoring that infects the fourth line to come anywhere near our first line, not even in thought or virtual hockey.

I dont care how effective you think BR could be, He's NOT. I said it before and I'll say it again: I would rather see Kyle Calder there than BR, and they both suck!

Quote:
Yeah I'm not sure why he thought I would want Richie there.

Though I don't agree with you re Calder. YOU'RE CRAZY!

I would, however, rather Richie play next to Zus and Simmonds while Fro is with Kopi. Purcell makes that checking line not so good. At the least Richie can check.
I suggested Richardson there because I think he's capable of playing on the top line at least for a trial period. Believe it or not, DL didn't give up a 2nd round pick so he can center our 4th line. It just turned out that way unfortunately but Richardson imo, is capable of playing on the top line. I think it's at least worth a look since we're short on guys who can play on the LW.

And if not Richardson, I'd throw in Zeus. Having said that, Parse isn't a bad idea either.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote