HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Craig back down, Smaby down for "conditioning". Edit 11/21: Smaby and Lundin up!

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2009, 09:46 AM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
EDIT: 11/21

Smaby and Lundin re-called.

Quote:
JonJordan

Bolts recall Mike Lundin from Norfolk, Matt Smaby returned as well.
It will be a facepalm moment if Lundin gets a game and not Smaby.

11-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Mr Underhill

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

Why is everybody saying stuff like this? There is obviously some reason why Smaby is not playing. If he was one of the 6-7 best defensemen available, dont you think our coaching staff would be playing him?

Plus, I get the whole shopping Krajicek thing, but that has been going on for 20 games, so maybe Smaby is just not the best option right now.

Old
11-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Because Smaby was one of the few people to show up at the end of last season and the Lightning felt he was good enough that he made the team this year. We have had to watch Krajicek play a ton despite being the worst player on the roster, Smaby deserves a chance to show what he is capable of before you recall Lundin.

Or we could just trade for Phaneuf.

Old
11-21-2009, 10:40 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdvda View Post
Why is everybody saying stuff like this? There is obviously some reason why Smaby is not playing. If he was one of the 6-7 best defensemen available, dont you think our coaching staff would be playing him?

Plus, I get the whole shopping Krajicek thing, but that has been going on for 20 games, so maybe Smaby is just not the best option right now.
You're telling me you'd take LK2 over Smaby? Really?

Quote:
Because Smaby was one of the few people to show up at the end of last season and the Lightning felt he was good enough that he made the team this year. We have had to watch Krajicek play a ton despite being the worst player on the roster, Smaby deserves a chance to show what he is capable of before you recall Lundin.

Or we could just trade for Phaneuf.
I don't think its as cut and dry as that man. Lundin and his agent expressed in training camp that if he didn't get a shot, he wanted out. Maybe this is it, maybe we are shopping him, maybe there IS a market for Mike Lundin.

This should be very, very interesting.

Old
11-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post

I don't think its as cut and dry as that man. Lundin and his agent expressed in training camp that if he didn't get a shot, he wanted out. Maybe this is it, maybe we are shopping him, maybe there IS a market for Mike Lundin.

Maybe. Lundin cleared waivers last year and I doubt his value has gotten too much higher. Maybe we can get a pick for him. I don't like the idea of shopping players though. We have a chance at making the playoffs this year, sooner or later we need to go with the roster that gives us the best shot and forget about shopping players.

Old
11-21-2009, 10:47 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Maybe. Lundin cleared waivers last year and I doubt his value has gotten too much higher. Maybe we can get a pick for him. I don't like the idea of shopping players though. We have a chance at making the playoffs this year, sooner or later we need to go with the roster that gives us the best shot and forget about shopping players.
I agree completely. Gotta ice our best 6-8 on the blueline and I hope to see LK on the waiver wire soon. Lundin is pretty solid for a two-way guy, although i'll be curious to see if hes more physical now.

Old
11-21-2009, 11:13 AM
Mr Underhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
You're telling me you'd take LK2 over Smaby? Really?

I didnt say that...I said theres got to be a reason that he hasnt played yet. Im sure that if the coaching staff thought that putting him in the lineup gave us the best chance to win that he would be playing.

I dont like Krajicek, but other than the fact that they might be shopping him (which has been going on for 1/4 a damn season) there is probably a reason that hes been playing and Smaby hasnt. Maybe Smabys out of shape, maybe hes got a bad attitude with the coaching staff, who knows.

People were comlaining like this when Tyrell and Ashton didnt make the team out of training camp.

And its not like we have Chris Pronger down in the minors wasting away. Smaby looked good last year for us but so did Eminger and Murphy at times. Its not like he shined on the Detroit blueline.

Have some faith in the coaching staff...theres no conspiracy and theyre not trying to make the fans upset just for the sake of it.

BTW...I like Smaby. I like his physical style. But Im not whining cause hes not playing. He'll get his shot.

Last edited by Mr Underhill: 11-21-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old
11-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Does this mean Ohlund is out for a period of time?

Old
11-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

I'm thinking that Lundin's recall is partly to test the waters for a Smaby demotion. Last season, they didn't recall Lundin because they thought he'd get claimed. Now, he's cleared, and that should indicate Smaby would probably go unclaimed too.

Drew Miller got claimed, but that seems to be the way it goes.

Old
11-21-2009, 03:03 PM
gobolt7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
I'm thinking that Lundin's recall is partly to test the waters for a Smaby demotion. Last season, they didn't recall Lundin because they thought he'd get claimed. Now, he's cleared, and that should indicate Smaby would probably go unclaimed too.

Drew Miller got claimed, but that seems to be the way it goes.
Lundin didnt have to clear.

Ohlund is already ruled out for tomorrow. I am starting to think with the back to back situation against the division opponents, they want the extra bodies in case someone else goes down.

Old
11-21-2009, 03:57 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Phillips View Post
Does this mean Ohlund is out for a period of time?
Could be. Remember Ranger is also gone so we are at a shortage of d men and if someone else get's hurt we are in trouble.
Quote:

Hallelujah Smabys Back!

I don't know about the facepalm. He like Craig and unlike Lashoff has earned a call up. I think it sends a great message to the kids in Norfolk. Lawton is taking care and watching both Tampa and Norfolk, so he knows what's going on with the Ads.

Old
11-22-2009, 09:51 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

With Ranger being out for so long and now with Ohlund possibly missing a game or two this upcoming week, our defenseman glut doesn't seem a glut at all. I'm betting B.L. wants to dump Krajicek and is fine with giving him some time to pump his value before trading him. I'm still sincerely expecting Smaby to get ice time before January.

Old
11-23-2009, 12:23 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...htning/1053769

Quote:
D Matt Smaby, buried on the depth chart and yet to play an NHL game this season, twice has been sent to Norfolk on conditioning assignments. Both times he was hurt. The latest: a finger cut on his left hand Smaby said did not occur in a game. He declined to elaborate.

"I'm into new territory," he said of his frustration level. "Other years have been tough, but this is something completely different as far as toughness."

He said he expects to skate today and perhaps be ready to play in a few days.

Old
11-23-2009, 12:34 AM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Self mutilation is not the answer.

Old
11-23-2009, 12:42 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
I too read this story but didn't cite it because I simply didn't believe it. It's gotta be something beyond that, my guess is that Matt ran over Tocchet's cat!

Old
11-23-2009, 02:48 PM
IdealisticSniper

Oooooooook and Lundin was sent back down. WTF....

I would much rather have Lundin in the lineup than LK2. I really dont know whats going on with this guy...why hes still in the lineup I dont know. Im almost positive I could play better than him. Certainly not any worse.

Old
11-23-2009, 02:52 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Oooooooook and Lundin was sent back down. WTF....

I would much rather have Lundin in the lineup than LK2. I really dont know whats going on with this guy...why hes still in the lineup I dont know. Im almost positive I could play better than him. Certainly not any worse.
I guess someone is healthy to play next game

Old
11-23-2009, 02:56 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
I guess someone is healthy to play next game
Whos up for starting a collection to put out a hit on LK2? If the only way he doesnt play is if hes injured... Im sure we can find someone to break some legs or something?

Old
11-23-2009, 03:42 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Ohlund is supposed to be back Wednesday.

Old
11-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Tokala

I'm just going to throw this out there......

From what I've seen, there's not a whole helluva lot of difference between Meszaros and Krajicek right now. I'm more upset by a $4M d-man than I am a $1.5M d-man given that there's not that noticeable a difference on ice.

Old
11-23-2009, 05:28 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokala View Post
I'm just going to throw this out there......

From what I've seen, there's not a whole helluva lot of difference between Meszaros and Krajicek right now. I'm more upset by a $4M d-man than I am a $1.5M d-man given that there's not that noticeable a difference on ice.
You must be kidding me?

Meszaros has been one of our best defensemen in the past 10 games. In fact hes only been on the ice for 3 goals against in those games, 2 of which were shorthanded. He has been very physical laying tons of great hits and standing up at the blueline.

The only thing hes not really doing well right now is producing points. Although to be fair he lost a goal on the LA debacle and he was taken off the PP for a little while(a message Im assuming).

He also doesnt make the stupid plays that LK2 makes every time hes touches the puck.

Sorry but I dont think you can say they are in the same universe right now.

Old
11-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Mr Underhill

Quote:
You must be kidding me?

Meszaros has been one of our best defensemen in the past 10 games. In fact hes only been on the ice for 3 goals against in those games, 2 of which were shorthanded. He has been very physical laying tons of great hits and standing up at the blueline.

The only thing hes not really doing well right now is producing points. Although to be fair he lost a goal on the LA debacle and he was taken off the PP for a little while(a message Im assuming).

He also doesnt make the stupid plays that LK2 makes every time hes touches the puck.

Agreed

Old
11-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Tokala

Quote:
You must be kidding me?

Then, we will disagree. Notice that I didn't say that he's horrible. He's damn near as soft and loses the puck nearly as frequently as Krajicek. I expect a lot more from Mesz and it has nothing to do with goals or assists.

Old
11-23-2009, 08:09 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokala View Post
Then, we will disagree. Notice that I didn't say that he's horrible. He's damn near as soft and loses the puck nearly as frequently as Krajicek. I expect a lot more from Mesz and it has nothing to do with goals or assists.
If you think hes been soft, then you havent been watching him. He has stepped up his game physically that I havent seen since he has been here. In fact he has been playing his best hockey since coming here IMO.

He has been stepping up at the blue line and making good outlet passes. Hes a +3 in the past 11 games which is pretty good considering how low scoring we have been lately.

I dont know, you have your opinion but I just dont see how you can say the things you are about him right now. Last year, sure, the first 10 games, sure, but something looks like it has clicked with him recently and I like it.

Old
11-24-2009, 12:01 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Jekyll/Hyde with him. Some nights I think hes incredible. Some nights I think hes useless.

Closed Thread