HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Craig back down, Smaby down for "conditioning". Edit 11/21: Smaby and Lundin up!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-21-2009, 09:46 AM
  #26
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates
 
Going Back to Cally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St.Pete, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 28,645
vCash: 169
EDIT: 11/21

Smaby and Lundin re-called.

Quote:
JonJordan

Bolts recall Mike Lundin from Norfolk, Matt Smaby returned as well.
It will be a facepalm moment if Lundin gets a game and not Smaby.

__________________
Error 503 Service Unavailable
Going Back to Cally is offline  
Old
11-21-2009, 10:19 AM
  #27
Mr Underhill
Registered User
 
Mr Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
EDIT: 11/21

Smaby and Lundin re-called.



It will be a facepalm moment if Lundin gets a game and not Smaby.
Why is everybody saying stuff like this? There is obviously some reason why Smaby is not playing. If he was one of the 6-7 best defensemen available, dont you think our coaching staff would be playing him?

Plus, I get the whole shopping Krajicek thing, but that has been going on for 20 games, so maybe Smaby is just not the best option right now.

Mr Underhill is offline  
Old
11-21-2009, 10:34 AM
  #28
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates
 
Going Back to Cally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St.Pete, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 28,645
vCash: 169
Because Smaby was one of the few people to show up at the end of last season and the Lightning felt he was good enough that he made the team this year. We have had to watch Krajicek play a ton despite being the worst player on the roster, Smaby deserves a chance to show what he is capable of before you recall Lundin.

Or we could just trade for Phaneuf.

Going Back to Cally is offline  
Old
11-21-2009, 10:40 AM
  #29
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks
 
The Fear Boners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by antdvda View Post
Why is everybody saying stuff like this? There is obviously some reason why Smaby is not playing. If he was one of the 6-7 best defensemen available, dont you think our coaching staff would be playing him?

Plus, I get the whole shopping Krajicek thing, but that has been going on for 20 games, so maybe Smaby is just not the best option right now.
You're telling me you'd take LK2 over Smaby? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Because Smaby was one of the few people to show up at the end of last season and the Lightning felt he was good enough that he made the team this year. We have had to watch Krajicek play a ton despite being the worst player on the roster, Smaby deserves a chance to show what he is capable of before you recall Lundin.

Or we could just trade for Phaneuf.
I don't think its as cut and dry as that man. Lundin and his agent expressed in training camp that if he didn't get a shot, he wanted out. Maybe this is it, maybe we are shopping him, maybe there IS a market for Mike Lundin.

This should be very, very interesting.

The Fear Boners is offline  
Old
11-21-2009, 10:43 AM
  #30
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates
 
Going Back to Cally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St.Pete, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 28,645
vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post



I don't think its as cut and dry as that man. Lundin and his agent expressed in training camp that if he didn't get a shot, he wanted out. Maybe this is it, maybe we are shopping him, maybe there IS a market for Mike Lundin.

This should be very, very interesting.
Maybe. Lundin cleared waivers last year and I doubt his value has gotten too much higher. Maybe we can get a pick for him. I don't like the idea of shopping players though. We have a chance at making the playoffs this year, sooner or later we need to go with the roster that gives us the best shot and forget about shopping players.

Going Back to Cally is offline  
Old
11-21-2009, 10:47 AM
  #31
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks
 
The Fear Boners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Maybe. Lundin cleared waivers last year and I doubt his value has gotten too much higher. Maybe we can get a pick for him. I don't like the idea of shopping players though. We have a chance at making the playoffs this year, sooner or later we need to go with the roster that gives us the best shot and forget about shopping players.
I agree completely. Gotta ice our best 6-8 on the blueline and I hope to see LK on the waiver wire soon. Lundin is pretty solid for a two-way guy, although i'll be curious to see if hes more physical now.

The Fear Boners is offline  
Old
11-21-2009, 11:13 AM
  #32
Mr Underhill
Registered User
 
Mr Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
You're telling me you'd take LK2 over Smaby? Really?


I don't think its as cut and dry as that man. Lundin and his agent expressed in training camp that if he didn't get a shot, he wanted out. Maybe this is it, maybe we are shopping him, maybe there IS a market for Mike Lundin.

This should be very, very interesting.
I didnt say that...I said theres got to be a reason that he hasnt played yet. Im sure that if the coaching staff thought that putting him in the lineup gave us the best chance to win that he would be playing.

I dont like Krajicek, but other than the fact that they might be shopping him (which has been going on for 1/4 a damn season) there is probably a reason that hes been playing and Smaby hasnt. Maybe Smabys out of shape, maybe hes got a bad attitude with the coaching staff, who knows.

People were comlaining like this when Tyrell and Ashton didnt make the team out of training camp.

And its not like we have Chris Pronger down in the minors wasting away. Smaby looked good last year for us but so did Eminger and Murphy at times. Its not like he shined on the Detroit blueline.

Have some faith in the coaching staff...theres no conspiracy and theyre not trying to make the fans upset just for the sake of it.

BTW...I like Smaby. I like his physical style. But Im not whining cause hes not playing. He'll get his shot.


Last edited by Mr Underhill: 11-21-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Mr Underhill is offline  
Old
11-21-2009, 12:53 PM
  #33
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User
 
Doctor Drej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Quiet Room
Country: United States
Posts: 10,920
vCash: 500
Does this mean Ohlund is out for a period of time?

Doctor Drej is offline  
Old
11-21-2009, 03:00 PM
  #34
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,047
vCash: 500
I'm thinking that Lundin's recall is partly to test the waters for a Smaby demotion. Last season, they didn't recall Lundin because they thought he'd get claimed. Now, he's cleared, and that should indicate Smaby would probably go unclaimed too.

Drew Miller got claimed, but that seems to be the way it goes.

Felonious Python is offline  
Old
11-21-2009, 03:03 PM
  #35
gobolt7
Registered User
 
gobolt7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Florida.
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
I'm thinking that Lundin's recall is partly to test the waters for a Smaby demotion. Last season, they didn't recall Lundin because they thought he'd get claimed. Now, he's cleared, and that should indicate Smaby would probably go unclaimed too.

Drew Miller got claimed, but that seems to be the way it goes.
Lundin didnt have to clear.

Ohlund is already ruled out for tomorrow. I am starting to think with the back to back situation against the division opponents, they want the extra bodies in case someone else goes down.

gobolt7 is offline  
Old
11-21-2009, 03:57 PM
  #36
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
Rated [SFY]
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 16,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Phillips View Post
Does this mean Ohlund is out for a period of time?
Could be. Remember Ranger is also gone so we are at a shortage of d men and if someone else get's hurt we are in trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
EDIT: 11/21

Smaby and Lundin re-called.



It will be a facepalm moment if Lundin gets a game and not Smaby.
Hallelujah Smabys Back!

I don't know about the facepalm. He like Craig and unlike Lashoff has earned a call up. I think it sends a great message to the kids in Norfolk. Lawton is taking care and watching both Tampa and Norfolk, so he knows what's going on with the Ads.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline  
Old
11-22-2009, 09:51 PM
  #37
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
With Ranger being out for so long and now with Ohlund possibly missing a game or two this upcoming week, our defenseman glut doesn't seem a glut at all. I'm betting B.L. wants to dump Krajicek and is fine with giving him some time to pump his value before trading him. I'm still sincerely expecting Smaby to get ice time before January.

BadHammy* is offline  
Old
11-23-2009, 12:23 AM
  #38
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
Rated [SFY]
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 16,440
vCash: 500
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...htning/1053769

Quote:
D Matt Smaby, buried on the depth chart and yet to play an NHL game this season, twice has been sent to Norfolk on conditioning assignments. Both times he was hurt. The latest: a finger cut on his left hand Smaby said did not occur in a game. He declined to elaborate.

"I'm into new territory," he said of his frustration level. "Other years have been tough, but this is something completely different as far as toughness."

He said he expects to skate today and perhaps be ready to play in a few days.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline  
Old
11-23-2009, 12:34 AM
  #39
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates
 
Going Back to Cally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St.Pete, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 28,645
vCash: 169
Self mutilation is not the answer.

Going Back to Cally is offline  
Old
11-23-2009, 12:42 AM
  #40
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
I too read this story but didn't cite it because I simply didn't believe it. It's gotta be something beyond that, my guess is that Matt ran over Tocchet's cat!

BadHammy* is offline  
Old
11-23-2009, 02:48 PM
  #41
IdealisticSniper
Registered User
 
IdealisticSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,747
vCash: 500
Oooooooook and Lundin was sent back down. WTF....

I would much rather have Lundin in the lineup than LK2. I really dont know whats going on with this guy...why hes still in the lineup I dont know. Im almost positive I could play better than him. Certainly not any worse.

IdealisticSniper is offline  
Old
11-23-2009, 02:52 PM
  #42
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
Rated [SFY]
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 16,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Oooooooook and Lundin was sent back down. WTF....

I would much rather have Lundin in the lineup than LK2. I really dont know whats going on with this guy...why hes still in the lineup I dont know. Im almost positive I could play better than him. Certainly not any worse.
I guess someone is healthy to play next game

TheDaysOf 04 is offline  
Old
11-23-2009, 02:56 PM
  #43
IdealisticSniper
Registered User
 
IdealisticSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
I guess someone is healthy to play next game
Whos up for starting a collection to put out a hit on LK2? If the only way he doesnt play is if hes injured... Im sure we can find someone to break some legs or something?

IdealisticSniper is offline  
Old
11-23-2009, 03:42 PM
  #44
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates
 
Going Back to Cally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St.Pete, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 28,645
vCash: 169
Ohlund is supposed to be back Wednesday.

Going Back to Cally is offline  
Old
11-23-2009, 04:40 PM
  #45
Tokala
Registered User
 
Tokala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,871
vCash: 500
I'm just going to throw this out there......

From what I've seen, there's not a whole helluva lot of difference between Meszaros and Krajicek right now. I'm more upset by a $4M d-man than I am a $1.5M d-man given that there's not that noticeable a difference on ice.

Tokala is offline  
Old
11-23-2009, 05:28 PM
  #46
IdealisticSniper
Registered User
 
IdealisticSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokala View Post
I'm just going to throw this out there......

From what I've seen, there's not a whole helluva lot of difference between Meszaros and Krajicek right now. I'm more upset by a $4M d-man than I am a $1.5M d-man given that there's not that noticeable a difference on ice.
You must be kidding me?

Meszaros has been one of our best defensemen in the past 10 games. In fact hes only been on the ice for 3 goals against in those games, 2 of which were shorthanded. He has been very physical laying tons of great hits and standing up at the blueline.

The only thing hes not really doing well right now is producing points. Although to be fair he lost a goal on the LA debacle and he was taken off the PP for a little while(a message Im assuming).

He also doesnt make the stupid plays that LK2 makes every time hes touches the puck.

Sorry but I dont think you can say they are in the same universe right now.

IdealisticSniper is offline  
Old
11-23-2009, 05:41 PM
  #47
Mr Underhill
Registered User
 
Mr Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
You must be kidding me?

Meszaros has been one of our best defensemen in the past 10 games. In fact hes only been on the ice for 3 goals against in those games, 2 of which were shorthanded. He has been very physical laying tons of great hits and standing up at the blueline.

The only thing hes not really doing well right now is producing points. Although to be fair he lost a goal on the LA debacle and he was taken off the PP for a little while(a message Im assuming).

He also doesnt make the stupid plays that LK2 makes every time hes touches the puck.

Sorry but I dont think you can say they are in the same universe right now.
Agreed

Mr Underhill is offline  
Old
11-23-2009, 06:18 PM
  #48
Tokala
Registered User
 
Tokala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
You must be kidding me?

Meszaros has been one of our best defensemen in the past 10 games. In fact hes only been on the ice for 3 goals against in those games, 2 of which were shorthanded. He has been very physical laying tons of great hits and standing up at the blueline.

The only thing hes not really doing well right now is producing points. Although to be fair he lost a goal on the LA debacle and he was taken off the PP for a little while(a message Im assuming).

He also doesnt make the stupid plays that LK2 makes every time hes touches the puck.

Sorry but I dont think you can say they are in the same universe right now.
Then, we will disagree. Notice that I didn't say that he's horrible. He's damn near as soft and loses the puck nearly as frequently as Krajicek. I expect a lot more from Mesz and it has nothing to do with goals or assists.

Tokala is offline  
Old
11-23-2009, 08:09 PM
  #49
IdealisticSniper
Registered User
 
IdealisticSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokala View Post
Then, we will disagree. Notice that I didn't say that he's horrible. He's damn near as soft and loses the puck nearly as frequently as Krajicek. I expect a lot more from Mesz and it has nothing to do with goals or assists.
If you think hes been soft, then you havent been watching him. He has stepped up his game physically that I havent seen since he has been here. In fact he has been playing his best hockey since coming here IMO.

He has been stepping up at the blue line and making good outlet passes. Hes a +3 in the past 11 games which is pretty good considering how low scoring we have been lately.

I dont know, you have your opinion but I just dont see how you can say the things you are about him right now. Last year, sure, the first 10 games, sure, but something looks like it has clicked with him recently and I like it.

IdealisticSniper is offline  
Old
11-24-2009, 12:01 AM
  #50
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks
 
The Fear Boners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,010
vCash: 500
Jekyll/Hyde with him. Some nights I think hes incredible. Some nights I think hes useless.

The Fear Boners is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.