HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders vs Boston 9/21:

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2003, 06:51 AM
NYIsles1*

vCash: 500
Islanders Pregame vs Boston 9/21:

At this time there is no link to a webcast on either of the teams sites, the Isles site did not tell the fans the Pens site had both games.

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/
http://www.soundtigers.com/
http://www.bostonbruins.com/default.asp
http://www.providencebruins.com/
http://www.connpost.com/Stories/0,14...647069,00.html
GAME DAY - New York Islanders vs. Boston Bruins
Today, 4:05 p.m.
Arena at Harbor Yard
http://www.connpost.com/Stories/0,14...647068,00.html

Islanders stars show their stuff at Arena at Harbor Yard

Ticket sales for the game, the Islanders' third preseason contest in as many days, have been strong, Boe said. A good walkup could push the crowd near a sellout, which would be over 8,000 fans.

Old
09-21-2003, 12:24 PM
TMac21
Retooled for 2014

Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
Any way to listen to the game online?

Old
09-21-2003, 01:13 PM
fisby

Islanders up 4-0 after one

Justin Mapletoft, Justin Papineau, Sven Butenschon, and Eric Godard scored for New York as the Islanders took a 4-0 lead in the first period.

Old
09-21-2003, 01:40 PM

6-0 Isles so far!! Man I'm having withdrawals as I was supposed to be at this game but a family event came up. "God"ard gets another one in pre-season. Total domination. Good for the home crowd who trekked up to the Bridge.

Old
09-21-2003, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisby
Islanders up 4-0 after one

Justin Mapletoft, Justin Papineau, Sven Butenschon, and Eric Godard scored for New York as the Islanders took a 4-0 lead in the first period.
Blake and Hunter scored to make it 6 - 0.

Old
09-21-2003, 02:14 PM
vinrock12

just a feeling , but the islanders are gonna be a hungry team coming out of the gate ......alot of players with something to prove off of last year and in there final year of deals....im very happy with the new system that stirling is running.....it will really show the speed of bates , blake,and kavasha. also watch out for a big year from peca and parrish..

Old
09-21-2003, 03:06 PM

Islanders win 6 - 2.

Nhl Final 1st 2nd 3rd Total
--- --- --- -----
Boston 0 0 2 2
Ny Islanders 4 2 0 6 Final

Goal Scoring:

1st Prd: Nyi - Justin Mapletoft 1 (sean Bergenheim) 3:27
Nyi - Justin Papineau 2 (unassisted) 9:30
Nyi - (pp) Sven Butenschon 1 (michael Peca, Radek Martinek)
11:34
Nyi - Eric Godard 1 (derek Bekar) 18:20

2nd Prd: Nyi - Jason Blake 2 (michael Peca) 1:07
Nyi - Trent Hunter 2 (michael Peca, Janne Niinimaa) 10:00

3rd Prd: Bos - (pp) Patrice Bergeron 2 (kevin Dallman, Ivan Huml)
12:04
Bos - Michal Grosek 1 (sandy Mccarthy, Matt Herr) 16:24

Power-play Conversions: Bos - 1 Of 8, Nyi - 1 Of 2.

Shots On Goal: 1st 2nd 3rd Total
--- --- --- -----
BOS 5 8 17 30
NYI 11 11 4 26

Goalies: Bos - Felix Potvin, Tim Thomas (10:00, 2nd)
Nyi - Rick Dipietro

(Sept. 21) The Islanders won their third straight preseason game, 6-2, over the Boston Bruins on Sunday in the first-ever game at the Arena at HarborYard in Bridgeport, CT. Steve Stirling's club rolled with four goals in the opening period.

Just 2:48 into the game, we had our first scrap of the afternoon when Boston's Doug Doull and Eric Cairns came to blows after Rick DiPietro had to make a save off his own giveaway. Doull knocked off Cairns' helmet early, but the Islander defenseman came on midway through the bout and scored the decision as he connected with a left-right combination that floored the Bruin winger.

At the 3:27 mark, Sean Bergenheim notched his second assist of the preseason as he initiated Justin Mapletoft's first of the exhibition season. Bergenheim used a power move from the right wing corner and bulled his way out to shield the puck from the Bruins' defense. Once he spun out front, he fed Mapletoft to bury a one-timer over Felix Potvin's shoulder.

On his next shift, Bergenheim nearly made it a 2-0 game but was robbed in front by Potvin off an in-close opportunity. Michael Peca, making his preseason debut, gained control behind the Boston net and deked out a pair of defenders to find Bergenheim battling in front.

Yet, the Islanders followed that up by potting their second of the game at the 9:30 mark. That's when Justin Papineau, who scored the game-winner Friday night in Wheeling, notched his second of the preseason with an unassisted tally off a 1-on-2 situation. Papineau, who looked to have nowhere to go as he cruised down the slot, beat both Boston defensemen and roofed a backhander over Potvin's trapper.

With Shaone Morrisonn in the box, the Isles' powerplay struck again. Peca and Jason Blake started the goal as they rushed the puck over the Boston blueline. The Islander captain dropped the puck in the slot to the trailing Sven Butenschon, whose wrister was deflected on the way in by Boston's Milan Jucina over Potvin at the 11:34 mark.

The Islanders were all over Boston at this point, and dominating the front of Boston's net. Oleg Kvasha nearly made it 4-0 with another Islander opportunity in front of Potvin. The Boston goaltender bailed out his defense with a paddle stop. Then it was Janne Niinimaa's turn two shifts later down the slot as his wrister through a screen was rejected by Potvin's blocker. Bergenheim set that one up with a steal behind the Boston cage.

Then Potvin was beaten by one he'd want back with 1:40 left in the period when Eric Godard beat the goaltender with a sharp-angled try from the goal line that somehow found its way over into the net. Derek Bekar won the puck along the boards at the Boston blueline to gain the primary assist. The Islanders wound up out-shooting the Bruins, 11-5, in the opener.

Jason Blake got things going quick in the second period, putting home a breakaway chance on Potvin at 1:07. No Bruin had a chance to catch Blake as he led the pack by three lengths before putting three moves on the nerminder before depositing the puck to Potvin's right.

The Isles continued to buzz the Bruins' net, with three solid chances, though the puck slid off Czerkawski's stick on the best opportunity, an open slot in front of the goal. The buzz would end though when Kvasha was whistled for tripping at the 3:10 mark. He was followed by Bergenheim, who was sent off to serve DiPietro's delay of game penalty shortly after. DiPietro launched the puck over the near-boards on a clearing attempt.

The Isles killed off the two-man advantage thanks to some dazzling saves by DiPietro, who stoned Thornton twice during the penalty kill, including a blast from the point and a point-blank rocket from just outside the crease. A shot from in-close had fans breathless, as the goaltender reached behind him to stop the puck from trickling into the goal.

5-on-5 hockey wouldn't last long, though, as Brandon Smith was called for interference at 6:35. The Bruins managed to create just one quality scoring chance during the two-minute advantage as Thornton tested DiPietro again. The big Bruins center broke in on the Isles zone, only to meet the netminder's leg pad once again.

Niinimaa would send the Isles back on the offensive a moment later, sending Peca and Hunter on a 2-on-1 against Jurcina. Peca held the puck, and fired a wrister high, which Potvin gloved, only to see the biscuit trickle out. Hunter punched it home at the 10:00 minute mark, giving the Isles a 6-0 lead. It would be the end of Potvin's night as Tim Thomas came in in relief.

The Isles would give the B's another chance to practice their powerplay at 11:52, as Yashin left the ice on a high-sticking penalty. The Bruins got an inadvertent chance on net when Bruno Gervais deflected a pass and sent it in on DiPietro, who scrambled to grab the puck.

At 13:33, the Bruins would once again go up by two men, thanks to a roughing call on Bergenheim, but it was the Isles who would take advantage of it, as Bekar broke in on Thomas, only to be shut down in tight. The short 5-on-3 was followed by a brilliant chance by Axelsson, who one-timed a clean pass from Thornton while standing on the edge of the crease. DiPietro was quicker though, snagging the puck with his glovehand before it crossed the goal line.

Ivan Huml terminated the B's powerplay with a trip on Blake at 14:11, allowing Kvasha some open ice to perform with. He powered down the left wing, around the defenseman before crossing the slot and sending a shot high above the crossbar.

With 3:30 left in the period, a bounce in the Bruins' zone sent the puck flying behind the play into the Isles' zone, resulting in a foot race between Cairns and Murray. Though Murray won the race, Cairns won the battle, diving and sweeping the puck of the Bruin's stick with a swing of his own. DiPietro would get his last test of the period three minutes later, as Rich Brennan blasted a shot from the blueline. The goalie threw his glove up fast, stealing the chance confidently. The Isles ended the second stanza with an 11-8 shot advantage, putting the game advantage at 22-13, through two.

The Bruins got on the board with 7:56 left in the game on a powerplay goal by Kevin Dallman. To that point, DiPietro was perfect with 22 stops. Boston got another late with 3:36 left when Michal Grosek deposited a give-and-go in tight.

Old
09-21-2003, 05:12 PM
Isle Be Back

Wow!

Wow!

I can't believe how good they looked today. I was at the game, in my customary Sound Tigers season ticket seat and I was thrilled.

I have to find something to complain about to keep you guys happy and the only thing I can come up with was that they let up on the gas in the third period. I wanted the shutout and they let up in the the third which was disappointing.

But for 40 minutes it was a truly beautiful sight. The systems worked to perfection. Every player on the ice seemed to have eyes in the backs of their heads. They always knew where each other were, the passes were crisp, they created turnovers, they were quick in transition. Man, it was beautiful.

Five of the six goals were scored by former Sound Tigers which made the crowd doubly happy. All the guys looking to battle for those final roster spots (Bergenheim, Papineau, Mapletoft) looked quick, aggressive
and confident. Peca looked sharp. He was even named the #1 star which puzzled me a little bit but he did look good. DiPietro was sharp, giving up a PP goal off a screened point shot and a nifty move by Grosek who was left alone in front, both in the third when the game was decided.

But I think the thing that I was most happy about in the entire game was that Yashin looked like he was possesed. I know he didn't even figure into the scoring but he was working as hard or harder than the was he finished the season. He was strong and aggressive on the boards, he was backchecking, got a couple of wicked looking wristers away, but nothing that connected. I was very happy with his effort.

Bergenheim looked like he wanted to make cutting him very difficult. Even Bruno Gervais who got a lot of minutes, and quality minutes, looked very comfortable out there. He has almost no chance of sticking around but I've seen enough from him in Wheeling and today to be very, very happy with him as a late round pick. I have every reason to believe he will be an NHLer at some point, sooner or later.

3 games, 3 wins, 3 goals allowed. I know it's only pre-season, but I'm a pretty happy fan right now.

Old
09-21-2003, 05:31 PM
Jiggs

Thanks for the review IBB!

Good to see Mapletoft, Paps, Bergenheim, and Hunter vying for that spot and producing. Me likey!

Old
09-21-2003, 05:40 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Be Back
Wow!

I can't believe how good they looked today. I was at the game, in my customary Sound Tigers season ticket seat and I was thrilled.

I have to find something to complain about to keep you guys happy and the only thing I can come up with was that they let up on the gas in the third period. I wanted the shutout and they let up in the the third which was disappointing.

But for 40 minutes it was a truly beautiful sight. The systems worked to perfection. Every player on the ice seemed to have eyes in the backs of their heads. They always knew where each other were, the passes were crisp, they created turnovers, they were quick in transition. Man, it was beautiful.

Five of the six goals were scored by former Sound Tigers which made the crowd doubly happy. All the guys looking to battle for those final roster spots (Bergenheim, Papineau, Mapletoft) looked quick, aggressive
and confident. Peca looked sharp. He was even named the #1 star which puzzled me a little bit but he did look good. DiPietro was sharp, giving up a PP goal off a screened point shot and a nifty move by Grosek who was left alone in front, both in the third when the game was decided.

But I think the thing that I was most happy about in the entire game was that Yashin looked like he was possesed. I know he didn't even figure into the scoring but he was working as hard or harder than the was he finished the season. He was strong and aggressive on the boards, he was backchecking, got a couple of wicked looking wristers away, but nothing that connected. I was very happy with his effort.

Bergenheim looked like he wanted to make cutting him very difficult. Even Bruno Gervais who got a lot of minutes, and quality minutes, looked very comfortable out there. He has almost no chance of sticking around but I've seen enough from him in Wheeling and today to be very, very happy with him as a late round pick. I have every reason to believe he will be an NHLer at some point, sooner or later.

3 games, 3 wins, 3 goals allowed. I know it's only pre-season, but I'm a pretty happy fan right now.
I'm thrilled. They are getting solid goaltending and learing a system and this is what they need. The young players are making it very hard for Stirling and that is going to push everyone to work even harder.

Old
09-21-2003, 08:13 PM
Tom Liodice

Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
Hey guys, I'm back from Bridgeport. Great game today with a pretty good turnout of 6892 in attendance. Thanks to 19 and Isle Be Back for a nice detailed report. Just a few bits and pieces...Isles went 1-2 on the PP and BOS went 1-8. Three stars of the game were 1) Peca, with 3 assists on the night; 2) DiPietro, great game all around; 3) Blake. But here is some news and notes that I thought caught my eye today....

--Lines::
Hunter-Peca-Bergenheim
Czerkawski-Yashin-Blake
Papineau-Kvasha-Parrish
Godard-Mapletoft-Bekar

Cairns-Niinimaa
Butenschon-Gervais
Smith-Martinek

--DiPietro looked really strong tonight. He made a lot of key saves that kept the Bruins off the scoresheet, especially on the two 5-on-3's in the second period.

--Godard really looked impressive for the time that he was out there. His speed has improved. He has a great goal off the back of Felix Potvin from around the goal line.

--Bekar looked great, showing off some nice flashes of speed and grittiness...

--Papineau looked like his usual speedy self today, scoring a pretty goal off the backhand with two Boston defensemen back.

--Isles were very strong during the first 40 minutes of play. They were crashing the net and making sure someone is always there. Their system looks great and it really seems like they are buying into it. Their 3rd period though, looked pretty sloppy for a second consecutive game, as they were outshot 17-4 by Boston in that period.

--The Isles need to work on their discipline a little bit. They went on the PK eight times this game and went down on a 5-on-3 twice in the second. 18 PP's in two games isn't a very good way to start off a preseason...

--Stirling said that he wasn't going to play Bekar today, but thought tat he played strong enough last night in Pitt. that he deserved another look at.

--When asked about his son Scott, Steve Stirling said that "He wasn't out of place...he gained confidence and gained respect.

--I asked Stirling about Bergenheim. he told me "He's really caught our eye...his seems to get better and better every day."

--When asked if there was a comfort level playing back in Bridgeport, Trent Hunter said, "It was nice being back here...but hopefully this is the last one."

--I asked Hunter if he sees himself on the Isles this year, "It's not my decision, but I gotta make it as tough on them as they can and go to the bitter end."

I hope this helps out guys and any comments/questions, feel free to contact me over the boards, PM, or AIM. Take care and have a good night...

-TL

Closed Thread