HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Dubinsky had his cast removed

Old
11-21-2009, 08:37 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
hes exactly what we need more of.....

a fringe offensive talent whos undersized and is best suited on the 3rd line.

perfect.

At less than half a million...
He's better than Voros or Brashear, and yeah he is best suited for the 3rd line that's where I would play him. Don't act like I said we should pick him up and put him with Gaborik.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 08:56 AM
Melrose_Jr.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Don't forget, Ebbett was waived for a reason. He wasn't exactly tearing it up in Chicago
Could also be financially related.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=299097

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 10:09 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Am I the only one who can not access Ranger Rants for a couple of days? I can access the site of The Record, but none of the blogs, RR, Fire & Ice and others. Got a 403 error in return... This is working using a proxy, but that makes me wonder if The Record has changed his policies recently... Anyone heard something? Thanks.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #97 View Post
Am I the only one who can not access Ranger Rants for a couple of days? I can access the site of The Record, but none of the blogs, RR, Fire & Ice and others. Got a 403 error in return... This is working using a proxy, but that makes me wonder if The Record has changed his policies recently... Anyone heard something? Thanks.
Works for me.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 01:17 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Claimed by Minnesota

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by #97 View Post
Am I the only one who can not access Ranger Rants for a couple of days? I can access the site of The Record, but none of the blogs, RR, Fire & Ice and others. Got a 403 error in return...
I'm having the exact same problem. Both in IE and FireFox. Strange...

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 01:27 PM
tailfins

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
I'm having the exact same problem. Both in IE and FireFox. Strange...
From Tom Gulitti on the Fire & Ice blog:

Quote:
“Unfortunately, the Internet Division did have to increase security and restrict access to users outside the United States in order to stabilize the server for the rest of our users. As soon as the DOS attack is stopped, they will be able to restore accessibility for users outside the country.”

tailfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Hah. Alright, thanks.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 12:56 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

Thanks for the info Tailfins.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 03:09 PM
McMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yeah I imagine it'll be another 2 weeks before Dubinsky gets back into the lineup...no cast is great but it's not fully healed
I wonder if he would be playing if this was the playoffs right now.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Was at the game yesterday, and spoke to 2 seperate people that talked of a Rangers/Leafs rumored trade in the works centered around Dubinsky. I looked online today and couldn't find it anywhere. Has anyone heard anything on this? Supposedly Exelby and Stepniak were the players involved coming the other way.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 03:40 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Was at the game yesterday, and spoke to 2 seperate people that talked of a Rangers/Leafs rumored trade in the works centered around Dubinsky. I looked online today and couldn't find it anywhere. Has anyone heard anything on this? Supposedly Exelby and Stepniak were the players involved coming the other way.
Woah. I would be pissed if that was the return on Dubinsky.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 03:48 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Woah. I would be pissed if that was the return on Dubinsky.
That makes two of us Viper. Dubi reamins one of my favorites...Which i why as soon as the hangover subsided this morning I researched this one. But, it's nowhere on here which usually means there not much substance to it.

I am a fan of what Exelby would bring to the table here. It's needed, and has been for a while. But, something is up with this guys game if a physical nasty SOB playing for Brian Burke is not dressing on a nightly basis. He must have lost a step or two.

In the end though I agree, not a great return for Dubi.

Old
11-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead71 View Post
I wonder if he would be playing if this was the playoffs right now.
It's November, not April, so what's the point of speculating? In any case, what good is a centerman who can't take draws or shoot the puck because he's less than two weeks removed from breaking a bone in his wrist?

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Levitate

Exelby never really had a step or two. He played on a really bad defense in Atlanta and that's pretty much why he was somewhat "good"; it was just in comparison to the rest of them.

I really don't think he'd help the Rangers D at all...we'd just get to watch him get beat over and over again and on top of that he'd probably take penalties for playing aggressively.

Stempniak isn't an upgrade over Dubinsky offensively, in my opinion. After a good first two years in St. Louis, he's struggled to recapture that touch. I'm not a fan of making a trade for a player that you hope will "find their game again" after you trade for them.

Right now, this team lacks players who can make plays with the puck. Dubinsky can do that at least part of the time...it makes much more sense to me to keep him and keep working with him and try to get more out of him. He and like 2 other players on the entire team can actually control the puck in the offensive zone

edit: To be honest about the "physical defenseman" thing...in the NHL today, those defensemen also need to be good at something else. They need to be able to skate decently and be a shutdown defenseman as well, or contribute some offensively, or something. Because you'll take a lot of penalties being a physical defenseman these days and it's not worth all the penalty killing if crosschecking a guy in front of the net is the only thing a player can do.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
edit: To be honest about the "physical defenseman" thing...in the NHL today, those defensemen also need to be good at something else. They need to be able to skate decently and be a shutdown defenseman as well, or contribute some offensively, or something. Because you'll take a lot of penalties being a physical defenseman these days and it's not worth all the penalty killing if crosschecking a guy in front of the net is the only thing a player can do.
Great point, Lev.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Exelby never really had a step or two. He played on a really bad defense in Atlanta and that's pretty much why he was somewhat "good"; it was just in comparison to the rest of them.

I really don't think he'd help the Rangers D at all...we'd just get to watch him get beat over and over again and on top of that he'd probably take penalties for playing aggressively.

Stempniak isn't an upgrade over Dubinsky offensively, in my opinion. After a good first two years in St. Louis, he's struggled to recapture that touch. I'm not a fan of making a trade for a player that you hope will "find their game again" after you trade for them.

Right now, this team lacks players who can make plays with the puck. Dubinsky can do that at least part of the time...it makes much more sense to me to keep him and keep working with him and try to get more out of him. He and like 2 other players on the entire team can actually control the puck in the offensive zone

That statement basically holds true though for every single position in the game today. And yes, maybe there is some limitations on how they can still be effective as a physical defender. But...to me there is definately still a place in the game for these guys. Even in todays NHL. No matter how you slice it up...The Rangers are, and have been soft on the defense for quite sometime. And during the regular season they may be able to get by, but come playoff time these types are worth thier weight in gold. The Bieska's, the Phaneuf's, the Regehr's, Hannans, Komisarek's, Prongers, Chara's, Murray's, Beauchemins, Volchenkov's etc. This club doesn't have that element. They fail to keep addressing it, while admitting they could use this type of a player.

On Exelby...He may have played himself out of the lineup in Toronto. And maybe that is due to him losing a step. I am not sure as I haven't seen him play there yet. But, when he was on Atl, I can remember him driving the Rangers into a frenzy by clobbering Prucha. Or his wars with Hollweg. The guy made some noise, and was effective every time we played them...So, even if he wasn't the best staker...or didn't have the best outlet. He was very much so in those games by using his best attributes, which was flat out physical play.

Old
11-23-2009, 02:08 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
well, I know hockeys not pure, but Id like to think it is :/
I wonder if they get surgery and get those casts that break down over time implanted.
There is no illegality in steroid use while injured. Steroid use is illegal when playing only.
When you HS pals were wearing the cast, the contemporary braces were not available. Brace secures the limb no worse than cast, but allows for controlled movement of hand during physical therapy sessions. PT speeds up muscle restoration effected by the injury of the bone.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 02:44 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
There is no illegality in steroid use while injured. Steroid use is illegal when playing only.
When you HS pals were wearing the cast, the contemporary braces were not available. Brace secures the limb no worse than cast, but allows for controlled movement of hand during physical therapy sessions. PT speeds up muscle restoration effected by the injury of the bone.
Completely and utterly false.

Now, I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I do know that there are different types of breaks. A Hairline fracture will heal faster than a compound fracture where the bone is displaced and breaks the skin.

Given how it happened, Dubinsky's injury was probably much closer to the Hairline variety.

Pro athletes are in much better condition than the average Joe and will naturally heal faster. They will also receive better treatment, more often, to speed the recovery.

And there are surgical techniques that will speed recovery, things that you and I may not get at the local hospital. Here is one such procedure I found:

http://www.creators.com/health/ralli...very-time.html

Pro athletes are afforded the best treatments possible with the focus of getting them back in the lineup as soon as possible. The doctors who treat them know what they are doing. They've had lots of practice.

With regular folk, recovery time is less of a consideration. Are you going to pay for a procedure that will cut your recovery time in half if it will cost twice as much? Probably not. And you can bet your insurance company won't either.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 02:57 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Completely and utterly false.

Now, I'm not a doctor
Then you cannot tell right?

What part you find inaccurate? The drug or brace? I did not hear that steroids help to recover fast and I wasn't the one who suggested it, but only active players are subjected to random drug testing.

As for brace, I had a compounded fracture of the forearm in 2004 and underwent surgery with titanium plate screwed in to hold the pieces together. They took the cast of after 18 days to allow PT to start.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 03:14 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Then you cannot tell right?

What part you find inaccurate? The drug or brace? I did not hear that steroids help to recover fast and I wasn't the one who suggested it, but only active players are subjected to random drug testing.
The part I bolded. Injured players are NOT allowed to take any kind of performance enhancing drug. "Active" doesn't mean healthy and playing in this context, it means that the player is a member of an NHL team and is subject to the rules as stated by the CBA.

The primary reason why athletes take steroids is precisely because they help them heal faster. Healing faster means being able to push their bodies more, which means getting stronger. It's not an instantaneous effect where they just suddenly get stronger. It doesn't work that way.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 04:10 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
For those that are in awe of how quick Dubinsky is out of a cast...it's not exactly that quick to be out of a cast for a hairline fracture. I had a hairline fracture to my right wrist once, not only waited a week to see the doctor but still was only in a cast for 3 weeks after that. I'm sure there's a lot of precaution to the extra week or two, and it also depends on where on the bone the fracture is, etc. etc. but this was not a compound fracture and if there's little risk to him doing more damage, its all about pain management at this point. He's probably still bruised and still experience swelling but the bone's probably healed enough where he doesn't really risk further injury if he's back in practice doing non-contact drills or sitting out but not wearing a cast.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote