HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Powe is such a good D-man

Old
11-20-2009, 05:28 PM
ilovetheflyers8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post

Is it that hard to do research?
According to one of the comments the writer covered Powe in the Phantoms, and that it might've been an error done by editing staff- though editing staff is supposed to catch stuff like that- so I don't know.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 03:10 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
According to one of the comments the writer covered Powe in the Phantoms, and that it might've been an error done by editing staff- though editing staff is supposed to catch stuff like that- so I don't know.
While these errors seem, and are, borderline pathetic, you'd be surprised how often they happen. Writing on a deadline and thinking, wow, Danny had a fight tonight. So you type...
During the Flyers' loss in San Jose, Danny Carcillo actually ended up in a fight.
Of course, you meant ...
During the Flyers' loss in San Jose, Danny Briere actually ended up in a fight.

I had one tonight in which a veteran writer (who rarely does this) referred to a quarterback who was 8 of 10 in the first half, and later talked about his two completions: a near-touchdown and a pass that hit "Randy Moss" in the hands. Those could be two completions, but they were the QBs two INcompletions.
While it was rare for my guy, I've had others who do it all the time.

A copy editor would not add/change the player's position, unless they spoke to the writer or someone above both of them because the writer is unavailable.
As for catching a writer's error, places without sports-specific copy editors will never catch these mistakes. The copy editor at a small shop like this knows the Eagles wear green and the Flyers wear orange, but can't tell you what division the Flyers are in or name three Phillies. That copy editor has no idea who Darroll Powe is, if that's the proper spelling of his name, etc. And if the writer has any track record on the subject of the article, the copy editor won't go in-depth to verify facts. There just isn't the time.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 02:49 PM
captainpaxil

i seriously think your average hf poster knows more about hockey then the philly media. and yes even the guys in the trade rumour board. my contempt for them grows daily. you dont have to be an expert but at least be a fan

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote