HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Almost, oh well; 3-2 loss to Wings in SO

Old
11-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Pucker View Post
Did anyone see flashes of '07 Kovy-Pleks-AK on those two Cammy goals set up by AK & Pleks? I know I did.
It's impressive that Plekanec is putting the points up without Super-07/08-Kovy.

Last edited by Erik Estrada: 11-21-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Pandemic

Lol.. Go onto the detroit board.. people there are complaining about how the Habs were gooning it up and Detroit didn't fight back and play aggressive, instead they got cautious. Wow.. the Habs.. gooning it up!? Leafs winning a shootout?? wtf is going on!

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Agree with you, I was expecting him to need a few games to get back into a rhythm but he's been pretty damn solid for his first two games back after missing 20.

Having him back has helped us cut down on Hamr and Spacek's minutes which is great also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Wasn't he being chased out of town last season???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Along with Pleks.

Around the same time people were saying Lapierre should be our next captain.
Don't forget the masses who wanted to give Hamr up for a bag of pucks, trade Price, waive Metro, scratch Gorges etc. It's funny that the same knuckleheads don't learn from their mistakes.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Mother Pucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
Lol.. Go onto the detroit board.. people there are complaining about how the Habs were gooning it up and Detroit didn't fight back and play aggressive, instead they got cautious. Wow.. the Habs.. gooning it up!? Leafs winning a shootout?? wtf is going on!
Yea I saw that....they sound anything but proud about their win tonight. And they shouldn't be, they were playing the friggin' Bulldogs for christ sake.

Don't know about the gooning it up comment.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 11-22-2009 at 03:02 AM.
Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 10:05 PM
totalrecall

with our luck, Laraque won't be suspended,

totalrecall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Who thought the habs would end up getting 3/4 points against washington and detroit? I was thinking that the habs would be hard pressed to get just one.

I think the team can feel pretty good about themselves right now. I looked at this little stretch as a good evaluation period for the team, and I think its safe to say that the team passed the test.

-The PK has been exceptional for a good stretch now

-Carey Price has provided vezina like goaltending in the last 5 games or so

-Andrei Kostitsyn (and max pacioretty to a lesser extent) seem to have their confidence levels at a seasonal high. Akost's compete level in the defensive zone is as good as I've ever seen from him before.

By adding all this up, I haven't felt better about this team than I do right now.

With Gomez being the latest casualty, I think it is safe to say that nobody is more affected by injuries than the habs. As a result, they will need to win a lot of 2-1, 1-0 kind of games, and they are showing that they have the right ingredients to do so.

Also, kudos to Martin for recognizing the players that were flying tonight and top loading the front line for the 3rd period. It turned out to be a great idea and salvaged a point.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
White and Pyatt are 21 and 22 respectively and are already killing penalties like NHL vets. Imagine how good they'll be once they become NHL regulars. They have been on the ice for a combined 28:06 min of PK time in their 8 game stint. Powerplay goals against while one or both are on the ice? 1.
that is beyond impressive. its like, hey. we finally called up some players whos making a difference. its nice.

price has been playing great in goal, hope he keeps it up.

obryne looks ready to be a fulltime guy.

pleks, akost, cammy were just fine and dandy.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 10:19 PM
habspinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanwuc View Post
that is beyond impressive. its like, hey. we finally called up some players whos making a difference. its nice.

price has been playing great in goal, hope he keeps it up.

obryne looks ready to be a fulltime guy.

pleks, akost, cammy were just fine and dandy.
If I was Max Lapierre and Guillaume Latendresse I would start working really hard if they really want to sign here next year. We have players on their way up that will be more than ready to fill their places if they aren't up to par. White and Pyatt are playing much better hockey than those two at present - Guillaume has been extra bad for a while now. He was only mildy acceptable last night

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 10:24 PM
linp

Quote:
Originally Posted by habspinner View Post
If I was Max Lapierre and Guillaume Latendresse I would start working really hard if they really want to sign here next year. We have players on their way up that will be more than ready to fill their places if they aren't up to par. White and Pyatt are playing much better hockey than those two at present - Guillaume has been extra bad for a while now. He was only mildy acceptable last night
I think that Lapierre is really feeling the pressure from White and Pyatt. He looked lost and choked on the ice.

linp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalrecall View Post
with our luck, Laraque won't be suspended,
Either way I don't see BGL seeing the ice for a while.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 10:40 PM
Thorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
Either way I don't see BGL seeing the ice for a while.
I can only hope.

Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Late chiming in again. Out watching the game over some brews with the lads. One of their girlfriends (who's not a big fan of hockey anway) made an interesting observation tonight. Half-way through the 2nd period she asks: "How come the other team can pass and your team can't?" Why, indeed. My 2 cents I guess:

Laraque. Get rid of him. Single-handedly tossed away the momentum early on, and did nothing for the rest of the game. Seriously. Thanks for comin' out. Bye now. Oh, and while that wasn't really a knee-to-knee that he put on Kronwall, that was a really dangerous leg trip, and he should have known better after obviously taking a high-sticking penalty earlier in the same shift.

Lapierre. I've never been a big fan at the best of times, but he has been next to invisible except when he is chipping pucks into the stands despite no forechecking pressure. Be afraid of keeping your spot son. Latendresse was on average poorer than Lapierre out there, but at least just looked useless instead of bad.

Price. Aside from the one goal which he'd like to have back, and applying Pam no-stick grease to his pads before the shootout, was AGAIN the reason why there was even a game to play for in the 3rd. Guy has been money this past week. A little slow reacting to the puck when it changes sides behind the net (missed shots, cycling, etc), but really fighting to track the puck through bodies now, which was one of my beefs up to this point in his career.

White. Love the guy. Forget about the actual hit statistic, he's hitting smart and hard. Playing simple and solid positional hockey. It'd be gravy if he gets comfortable enough to start making a few things happen offensively, but for now he is doing a bang up job of making sure nothing's happening defensively. Pyatt is also impressing me. Moen isn't "impressing" me, but he is providing the exact kind of play that I expected from him from the start: solid.

O'Byrne has been playing solid hockey and looks like he has very little rust out there. Soooo happy to see a good live body come back. Oh yeah, GTFO already Bergeron. Spacek and Hammer were throwing the puck around a little sloppily all game I thought. Getting the puck from behind our goal line was giving me palpitations. Gorges was pretty solid. All in all, unspectacular, a little disorganized, but not over-porous defense from the squad.

A.Kost and Patches are coming out of hibernation. I've been saying all along that Max doesn't need to go down. He's still not "clicking", but he's "getting it". Taking a few extra risks offensively and holding the puck longer. I like it. By the end of this year I promise, he'll be proving the nay-sayers wrong on a more consistent basis.

Pleks and Cammy. What else can I say? Those two can be relied on to get things going and make things happen with one stride or one swing of the stick, no matter which way the game's momentum seems to be swinging. Really lovin' those two guys this year.

edit: Oh yeah, Chipchura played tonight - forgot. Guess that says it all right there...

That's about it. Time to catch up a little more on my HF, have a smoke, and recharge a bit for a football get-together tomorrow.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 11-21-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Ginu

There's something I noticed today. We all know that we let go of 10 or 11 UFAs from last season, but players have stepped up this season through all of our injuries to really show we have new blood that can step in and make a difference. Think about this:

-Pleks and Hamrlik are completely different players from last season. They are playing like new signings.
-While we got rid of our leaders on the ice from last season, we were forced to depend on our young guys stepping up this season. However, while Lapierre and Latendresse haven't done this, two surprises in Ryan White and Tom Pyatt have stepped in and claimed their places. To me, until they show otherwise, are higher up the depth chart now than Lapierre and Latendresse. That's even more new blood than we anticipated this summer.
-Price, O'Byrne and Kostitsyn, after slow starts and injuries, have also picked it up in the last week (O'Byrne for two games only) above their standard of play from last season.
-Spacek, Mara, Gorges and Leach have stepped in to solidify our d-corps to compensate for the loss of Markov.
-Moen has stepped up with grit and is on pace for 20 goals this season! Not only has he grinded on the 3rd line, but he's stepped up to give size on the #1 line this season, scoring two clutch goals in the first few games and another on the top line again last game.
-Gill gives us even more toughness during the playoffs when things tighten up and big players to protect the net are so important. Yes he's not that mobile but you take the good with the bad and he was good enough to win the Cup last season. He's a very serviceable 6th guy to replace Bouillon. Add Gill, Spacek, Mara, Gorges and Leach to O'Byrne and Hamrlik and that's a pretty good 7 defensemen how they've played so far. Can't wait for Markov to come back!
-Last but not least, Cammalleri and Gionta. They've risen as our true leaders and game changers. They've put this team on their backs, scored clutch goals and have replaced Koivu and Kovalev as the two on-ice leaders. They're battlers and it's showing.

If Gainey can bring in even more new blood to give our #1 line a true scoring option, we are only 3 points out of 1st in the division right now. The only negatives I see right now are MAB who'll be gone when Gill comes back and our lack of secondary scoring.

All in all, the entire leadership from the coaching staff to the on-ice performers has officially been replaced during this week. I truly believe this team's "bedding-in" time is over, and we will now see the truth look of this team going forward. All because of new blood. Let's go get em.

Last edited by Ginu: 11-21-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 10:48 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Jacques Martin plays a lot with ice time and I think its a good indicator of which players he likes or not on any given night.

Highlights tonight :

Plekanec 25min -ouchies. understable with Gomez out I guess but he can't keep up like that)

Kostitsyn 20min -he pretty much tripled his ice time in the last games. to all of those who were whining about JM not giving him enough ice time while he blew : "I told ya so". JM doesn't hate Kostitsyn, he'll reward it when he deserves it and its all better this way, since we see results now

Pyatt 17min -if he keeps up, he's here to stay!

Mara 25min -JM obviously likes him, a lot. he has more TOI than Hammer or Space. Gorges also had a lot of TOI at 24mins!

Latendresse 5min, Laraque 4min and Chipchura 6min - JM hates having to play them

Lapierre 10min -he played pretty well so he had some more TOI than usual.

Bergeron was our dman with the less ice time at 17min, theres hope he's the one who gets benched when Gill is back.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 10:49 PM
habspinner

[QUOTE=pam19;22249746]
Those who say that you need to bring Sergei to see Andrei perform are totally wrong.
Look at any game log of any year.
[QUOTE]

Actually this is untrue - I did the research a while back and he's a pace of .74PPG with his brother in the lineup, and .48PPG with his brother out of the lineup - this is over his career. He's a better player with his brother, no doubt. That doesn't mean that he can't score without him Sergei, but he helps that's for sure.

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 10:57 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by habspinner View Post
Actually this is untrue - I did the research a while back and he's a pace of .74PPG with his brother in the lineup, and .48PPG with his brother out of the lineup - this is over his career. He's a better player with his brother, no doubt. That doesn't mean that he can't score without him Sergei, but he helps that's for sure.
It could be mere coincidence too. They rarely played on the same ice and most of Andrei's production came with Pleky and Kovy (two years ago anyways). He broke out at around the same time Sergei was called up that year. Andrei is heating up this year, is it because Pyatt or White were called up?

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 11:03 PM
Ginu

When everybody comes back, if Gainey doesn't get any new forwards, I see:

In:
Cammallieri - Gomez - Andrei
Pacioretty - Pleks - Gionta
Moen - Metro - Sergei
Laraque - Pyatt - White

Markov - Mara
Hamrlik - Spacek
Gorges - O'Byrne

Price
Halak

Out:
Latendresse, Lapierre, Chipchura, Gill, Leach

The guy I really want Gainey to get is Patrick Sharp. He plays the exact game to match this team's new style. He runs around just like Cammalleri and Gionta. Imagine we had both? Sharp with Gomez and Kostitsyn, Camm with Pleks and Gionta? Then we could re-unite Metro, Moen and MaxPac who have all played on the top lines this season. That would be a really deep team both up top and at the back! It would give us FOUR guys who could all play center on the top 2 lines: Gomez, Pleks, Camm and Sharp. Talk about depth!

Would Sergei and a pick be enough for Sharp? He played with Kane and Gagner I think in junior and Chicago can't absorb salary.

Last edited by Ginu: 11-21-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleeingKostitsyn View Post
Jacques Martin plays a lot with ice time and I think its a good indicator of which players he likes or not on any given night.

Highlights tonight :

Plekanec 25min -ouchies. understable with Gomez out I guess but he can't keep up like that)

Kostitsyn 20min -he pretty much tripled his ice time in the last games. to all of those who were whining about JM not giving him enough ice time while he blew : "I told ya so". JM doesn't hate Kostitsyn, he'll reward it when he deserves it and its all better this way, since we see results now

Pyatt 17min -if he keeps up, he's here to stay!

Mara 25min -JM obviously likes him, a lot. he has more TOI than Hammer or Space. Gorges also had a lot of TOI at 24mins!

Latendresse 5min, Laraque 4min and Chipchura 6min - JM hates having to play them

Lapierre 10min -he played pretty well so he had some more TOI than usual.

Bergeron was our dman with the less ice time at 17min, theres hope he's the one who gets benched when Gill is back.
I seem to remember that pleks had logged alot of ice in the 1st period and thats because half the period was about killing penalties.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 11:17 PM
Mother Pucker

[QUOTE=habspinner;22250326][QUOTE=pam19;22249746]
Those who say that you need to bring Sergei to see Andrei perform are totally wrong.
Look at any game log of any year.
Quote:

I think this statistic is just a coincidence. Both these players career have been too short so far to warrant any serious thought given to such correlations at this point. I mean what's the rationale anyway? That Bielorussians hockey players need to be babysitted by their younger brother in order to play well?

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 11:24 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
First OT loss of the year!

price

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 11:30 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
stole the point
could have been down 5-0 after the first
What are you talking about? We didnt steal any point tonight. We EARNED it. I actually think we deserve two points not one.

It could have been 5-0 after the first but our guys playing on the PK did a great job.

Stealing point is when we play like **** and still get a point, thats not the case tonight.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 11:33 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
When did we goon it up? lol.
Only thing I may consider that was close to gooning it was the knee contact by BGL. And, I thought it was really stupid of him.
Bah, they're upset we came back from a 2 goal lead. We aren't easy points. In fact, if we keep up this pace, we'll be a greater team. Don't bother with Detroit fans. They're used having a good team, so far they're doing terrible compared to what is expected of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
What are you talking about? We didnt steal any point tonight. We EARNED it. I actually think we deserve two points not one.

It could have been 5-0 after the first but our guys playing on the PK did a great job.

Stealing point is when we play like **** and still get a point, thats not the case tonight.
I agree, if it weren't for one certain no good "classy" goon. We probably could have won the game in regulation time, seeing how fired up we were.
We earned the point.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 11-22-2009 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Merge
Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 11:37 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

I will take the 3 points this weekend with a big smile.

Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Cammalleri should be a line even when Gomez and Gionta will be healthy

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 11:42 PM
marvelousmotion

Was at the game tonight.. Great effort to steal one point from Detroit. Still, to be honest, it's evident this team without Gomez, Gionta and Markov lacks talent. Until the 3rd when AK46, Plekanec and Cammalleri were united and stole the show, the team was brutal offensively. Lapierre, Latendresse and Laraque were terrible once again tonight. Pyatt, White, Moen etc. show great hustle and play well, but still, you need goals to win games and that's something they cannot provide. It's hard to win when you have one 1st line and three 3rd/4th lines.

Anyways, back to the positives aside from Plekanec and Cammalleri...

I think JM is slowly and discretely turning AK46 into a complete player. Not only is he back producing offensively, but he's also learning how to get involved defensively. I really like the way he played in the last few games and it'll only get better IMO.

and also

Boy is O'Byrne confident right now.. He plays with so much poise, at times tonight, he looked like a seasoned veteran. He doesn't panic with the puck, takes his time and looks for options, unlike many of our defencemen who just get rid of the puck the second they touch it. He also positions himself very well, blocks shots and looked great despite being paired with a liability like MAB.

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 11:50 PM
MarkovsKnee

Hard to believe but Pleks played 25 minutes tonight, and took 31 face-offs! The rest of the team combined for a total of 30 draws. Incroyable!

I've heard people say we can't afford to sign Pleks, I say we can't afford not to sign him. With Koivu & Kovalev gone, Pleks is actually stepping into a leadership role with this team, and JM really, really likes him. I was listening to his press conference after the game & he praised Pleks a lot.

I never thought when we signed Mara that he would be a top minute guy for us. He was a depth defenseman for NYR last year and that's what I figured he'd be for us. He's been solid, solid, solid.

Also, with the way Higgins is playing with the NYR I seriously doubt they will resign him, although they may yet trade him. It could very well end up that we traded McDonaugh for Gomez & Pyatt!

Pyatt as a throw-in is so sweet. He's fast, responsible defensively and seems to be gaining confidence with each game. He had some nice drives to the net tonight. We'll see if his offence comes around but right now he and White on the PK...words fail me so...

This team has had some awful games (most recently in Nashville) but they bounce back really well and they don't quit under adversity. IF we can ever get everyone back healthy, I think we're a play-off team too.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote