HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Calgary Flames @ Los Angeles Kings 11/21/09

Old
11-21-2009, 10:17 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
It's nice to see you on HF finally.
... I tried to get my old name but I forgot the e-mail I registered with. Sorry I wasn't around much during those thrilling times of tanking for draft picks, but what was there to say, really? I think there's some great avatars here as a result of it, though. At least people had fun with it.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 10:25 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Who is JT Dutch and why don't I know of him?

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 10:29 PM
zeppelin97

I don't understand the Doughty trashing. His play at least has not been a lack of effort, which you can't say for the rest of the pitiful team.

At times, it seems Doughty is the only player who gives two ****s out there. He is doing way too much, compensating for the dazed and confused act the rest of team displays (see Kopitar/Stoll clowns on the PP).

This team still seems to slip out of the team system and go lazy at times. I think the coaches need to instill more discipline into the players. They are certainly not getting on ice leadership that could really help keep them on track.

zeppelin97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 10:44 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyo View Post
I think we have been drunk with optimism after games such as against San Jose and Pittsburgh. Chicago and Calgary have put us back in our place (which is, I think, still somewhere in the 6th-9th place range in the conference).
... Look, I think it's early. This team is still trying to adjust to playing a more offensive style. There's a lot of youth on this team, each young man is learning to find his way -- Johnson, Doughty, Simmonds, Drewiske, Purcell, Quick, even Kopitar. There's bound to be some inconsistency. I doubt that any team has ever been able to maintain an elite record with a team save percentage under .900, and this team isn't any exception. I think Murray's been a frustrated coach, and it's affected his decisions negatively at certain points.

This team looks like the one which will have some brilliant stretches of play that will leave the fans breathless, and other stretches where we'll want to suffocate ourselves. There's a good reason that some young teams are dubbed the "Cardiac Kids".

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 10:54 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Sign me up for league minimum. I'll drop them with Phaneuf, eat some punches but at least I'd show everyone I have heart and am willing to stand up for my teammates.
I'm right there with Reaper, and although we've not met, I confident I'm a little better on skates than you!

For League Minimum ($650,000.00???), I'll clear some pucks and become a punching bag, but I'll go down swinging!!!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 10:55 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

The SH goal against was the worst goal they have given up all year.

PP has to have a better option than trying to set up Stoll for a one-timer. I'm not a professional hockey coach or anything, but some movement on the power play would be nice.

On that same token, I don't know if Terry Murray is a professional hockey coach after seeing how often Ivanans played today.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I'm right there with Reaper, and although we've not met, I confident I'm a little better on skates than you!

For League Minimum ($650,000.00???), I'll clear some pucks and become a punching bag, but I'll go down swinging!!!
Put me in goal coach! I can give up bad goals to Iginla too!!

Old
11-21-2009, 11:12 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Did he make fun of his lisp or was he constantly pressing Dustin to play aggressively? .
Making fun of his lisp.

Quote:
[Avery tried the same tactic, goading teammate Marek Malik into an altercation in an attempt to get him to play more aggressively.

At the very least, he was trying to hold his teammates accountable by trying to get them to step up. I don't think anyone of us can verify if Avery made personal jokes or taunts towards Dustin, unless it has been documented.
Its well known that he did that in the locker room, and that Harpo had to be physically restrained from pounding Avery into the wall on at least one occasion.

Quote:
I just want to see some aggressive hockey with ill intent, win at any cost, by any means necessary. I want to see some desperation from this team, I want to see inspired hockey. Not the travesty we witnessed tonight.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 11:37 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

I think we have the same problem as before: the guys that are going to be relied upon to step up and be MEN just don't have it in them. This isn't shocking since it's the same group of kids.

None of them are a Richards or a Toews. None of them have the "get on my back because we are going to win this game" mentality that your best players need to have except for maybe Doughty.

Kopitar looks like **** and it just goes to show that you can't keep up a 30% shooting percentage. Flames came out late in the 1st and were physical with him...he disappeared like he usually does when the going gets tough.

On top of that, he has been targeted and embarassed two games in a row and nobody on the Kings has done a thing about it.

Bottom line is that they are still ******* and ******* don't win Cups unless your entire team can skate so well that nobody dares put you on the power play. Last time I looked, the Kings weren't the Detroit Red Wings; however,they are pussier than them though since Brad May has been tougher than any King this season.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 11:44 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post

I'm sure you are. I'm more John Zeiler than I am Joe Sakic.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
I'm sure you are. I'm more John Zeiler than I am Joe Sakic.
"Los Angeles penalty, Reaper45, 2 minutes for head butting."

Old
11-22-2009, 12:13 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Either that or eye gouging.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 12:41 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Put me in goal coach! I can give up bad goals to Iginla too!!

I dont fault him on any of em really.

First was a good hard low shot that took a favourable bounce for the flames.
Second was a beuty pass by bouwmeester, no chance.
Third was a very poor job done defensivley, good pass by glencross.
Fourth goal the flames were swarming in the offensive zone, and jumped on a rebound that should have been cleared.
5th goal was another redirection of off Moss's arm.

I think it was just a case of the flames being more hungry for the win coming off of a embarassing loss to chicago.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 01:06 AM
no name

Quote:
I'm the guy that head butts. Reaper curb checks.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 01:30 AM
funky

Filatov and Torres for JJ, Frolov and Purcell

pure offence, and pure grit. something this team has none of

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 02:11 AM
123slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post

overpayment. i like the thinking though.

123slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 04:38 AM
Defgarden

Quote:
Either that or eye gouging.
If I were the ref I wouldn't be handing out 2 minutes to ya, I'd be calling the cops!

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 11:03 AM
yankeeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
True.

Just On Kings Talk Nickson did say that they haven't had many practices lately and he thinks that is factoring in a great deal to all the miscommunication. The optimist in me really wants to buy that and expect a severe turnaround when they can practice more. Sometimes a little Andy Murray over-practicing can be a good thing. I seem to remember Hammond posting on several optional skates lately. If not practicing enough is this big a problem, call some more ****ing mandatory practices!
Can someone explain how the third youngest team in the league is tired or worn out 25 games into the season and why when we hadn't played since tuesday we did not have enough time to practice full squad prctices or how we didn't have the PP on the prctice rink for enough time to actually learn a play or how to carry the puck into the zone.........has our good start given them false sense of wellness

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Sybil227

They best part apart yesterday's game: Lindsay Ridgeway has lost a lot of of weight, and now looks seriously hot.

Me. Ow.

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 12:00 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Kings need a change! A month without Smyth is gonna hurt bad and is hard to watch.

I no longer care about Purcell or Frolov.
Purcell is in the same boat as Boyle and Moulson-he will never be a solid contributor in LA.

The PP is sinking and the Kings will sink along with it.

Bring up Westgarth and demote Ivanans.

Where are Schenn and Clifford when you need them?

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 01:28 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post

Eh, I'd prefer Frolov, Purcell and a 1st or 2nd for T. Ruutu and Ray Whitney. Offense, vet leadership, grit and a whole lot of mean.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 01:48 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Eh, I'd prefer Frolov, Purcell and a 1st or 2nd for T. Ruutu and Ray Whitney. Offense, vet leadership, grit and a whole lot of mean.
I think you're being too generous. I think we can get this deal done without including either of our top 2 picks. The canes save a whole lot of money and if by chance Fro doesn't want to sign with the canes, I'm sure they can unload him to the wings or pens for their first round pick.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 02:29 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I think you're being too generous. I think we can get this deal done without including either of our top 2 picks. The canes save a whole lot of money and if by chance Fro doesn't want to sign with the canes, I'm sure they can unload him to the wings or pens for their first round pick.
Well I don't really know value, I just know the canes are sucking, need to make some changes and I would LOVE Whitney and Ruutu on this team.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

This loss paired w/ Philadelphia's and Atlanta's are all quite sobering. We still have a long way to go.

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 05:25 PM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
This loss paired w/ Philadelphia's and Atlanta's are all quite sobering. We still have a long way to go.
The Kings crapped the bed in the Atlanta game. Any and all whining about the team's performance for that piss-poor showing was justified.

This game and the Chicago game were the ones where it was painfully obvious: there are other teams in the league that are just plain better than the Kings.

We can complain about how "poorly" this player or that player played, but honestly, it was clear that no matter how well the Kings played yesterday Calgary was still going to eventually win because they were a better team that was on top of their game.

We can dissect the game all we want, but I don't think there is a need to dwell on it any more. Thinking back to the beginning of the season, this was one of several games on the schedule that I would have considered a difficult test. Well, the Kings got taken to school by the Flames and didn't pass this test, so back to studying. I'll let Murray run the practices between now and Wednesday, and if the Kings don't at least look like they can beat Edmonton and Vancouver (never mind whether or not they actually win or lose), THEN I'll start to worry.

Last edited by ukyo: 11-22-2009 at 05:33 PM.
ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote