HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"The Streak" - 11.21.09 - Nashville vs Columbus 7:00 CST

Old
11-22-2009, 05:47 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

vCash: 500
Boy Ward was really a beast out there last night. Other teams must really envy us for having him, he is really exactly what you think of as a Predator mold player-- gritty, hard nosed, never quits on the play. Legwand and Erat playing much better last 2 games. About time the team started to gel.

CBJ play by play guy is awful. He gives credit to Jacket players who aren't even involved and sometimes does not notice the other team has players who might be having something to do with what is happening on the ice. That whole shoulder/crossbar business was hard to listen to. I honestly feel sorry for the hockey savvy CBJ fans that have to hear that guy. At least their new color guy is better than the old one was.

I sometimes cringe hearing Pete these days. He doesknow the game but some teams have younger pbp guys that give a more interesting call of the game. And Terry's schtick is getting repetitive. 'Head Coach (fill in the blank)'...

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 06:07 PM
PredsChik

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
No, you're right Suter did miss the end of the second period and the start of the third, but thankfully I believe it was due to a skate issue. Suter did eventually come back out on the ice and test his edges with a couple quick turns and declared himself ready for his next shift. I did not hear anything post-game about an injury.
Thanks!

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Just saw the replay on Belak's spear. Would not be surprised at all to see a 1 game suspension out of it.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 06:30 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by slanted View Post
5 on 5 I'd say they were the better team.
They must have been less confident in that idea, as they felt so compelled to commit penalties.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 06:47 PM
deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
They must have been less confident in that idea, as they felt so compelled to commit penalties.
C'mon it's not like those penalties were goal preventing. Brassard fires the puck over the glass with noone around him. Wards stick breaks for the slash (everyone knows those penalties are pretty lame nowadays with the composite sticks). I'm not sure where the Commodore hook was, but it wasn't around the puck. Those 3rd period penalties they had were unneeded and undisciplined. They outscored us 2-0 5 on 5. Our special teams played well.

deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 07:01 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Just saw the replay on Belak's spear. Would not be surprised at all to see a 1 game suspension out of it.
Oh well, it's not like he will be playing again any time soon, anyway.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 07:02 PM
OpenWheel

Undisciplined play can come from frustration.

Old
11-22-2009, 07:09 PM
deleted

Quote:
That was pretty bad, can't say a game would be undeserved.

deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 07:10 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

The look on both of their faces made me laugh a little.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 08:48 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

We don't fight. There's no reason for Belak to play, ever. At least Thuresson might generate something while he's out there...putting Belak out at all is a defensive and offensive liability.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 09:42 PM
PredsChik

Quote:
agreed. There were comments about fans cheering because of it in the CLB GDT, the replay they showed at the Sommet was not the same angle as the one on NHL network. It looked far less deliberate there than it actually was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
We don't fight. There's no reason for Belak to play, ever. At least Thuresson might generate something while he's out there...putting Belak out at all is a defensive and offensive liability.
Belak was played because Boll was in the line-up. He's fought Tootoo before and IIRC, kicked his ass. Hitchcock played Boll so we needed a heavy weight in the line up. Had they fought, great... spear to the family jewels was not so great (especially for him I'd imagine).

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Jonesey
Sons of Anarchy

I wouldn't mind seeing a fight every once in a while.

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 09:54 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsChik20 View Post

Belak was played because Boll was in the line-up. He's fought Tootoo before and IIRC, kicked his ass. Hitchcock played Boll so we needed a heavy weight in the line up. Had they fought, great... spear to the family jewels was not so great (especially for him I'd imagine).

Boll really isn't a true Heavy though. So it would seem to be kind of silly to dress Belak just for Boll. Maybe Trotz was expecting a more nastier game I don't know. But I agree with much rather having Thurressen in over Belak.

There is no excuse for what Belak did. I could tell he was really agitated after he got elbowed in the head by Tyutin but he just went over the edge period.

That actually happened to me a few years ago in a beer league game and that is the only time in my adult hockey playing life I ever completely lost it. Me and a guy were battling hard for the puck on the boards. No ill intent made on my part. After I take the puck and feed it cross ice to my winger the player I was battling with sticks his stick between my legs and reverse tomahawk chops my two boys. After hitting the deck and writhing in pain for a few seconds I get up and realize the lazy ass ref ( Stupid beer league refs just want to get the game over ASAP) didn't even call a penalty. That made me even more agitated and I did a beeline for the player that chopped my boys and gave him the hardest crosscheck from behind possible and few shots after that. The ref of course calls a penalty and I proceed to cuss him and the player I hit.

End result is getting kicked out of the game and suspended for the next game. However I wouldn't take back what I did. I am probably the most calm person on the ice most nights but you just don't do **** like that. Complete lack of respect for your opponent with that move.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Webersmashpuck

I guarentee Belak challenged Boll to a fight and Boll turned him down. Thats the problem with Belak is there are only probably 5 or 6 guys in the NHL who would be willing to fight him and they are scratches most of the time.

Personally I have no problem with what Belak did as long as there were some precursors, previous cheap shot and the team isnt willing to fight, which I believe happened. And as long as there is at least a several goal lead or deficit. Had Columbus not scored on the PP we likely would be talking about how dirty Klesla? was with the flying elbow/crosscheck instead of Belak.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 03:05 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
That picture of Steve Mason....he looks like a chubby Jerred Smithson.

From now on, no more game day naps or anything for Legwand, just high-stress afternoons, get to the arena 40 minutes before faceoff! Congrats to the new Dad! Awesome SH goal and he went back to his original shootout move that used to always work.

I didn't think a few guys had very good games at all. But other guys stepped up when needed. Pekka made some Fantastic saves.

Love a win over Cbj. Their players just thought they would come in here and we would lay down for them. It's obvious they hate playing here, all they are interested in is trying to prove they are a big strong physical team. Meanwhile they end up taking stupid penalties and it backfires on them when the Preds don't retaliate and score the PPGs. They would get a few rushes and some good chances but then Nashville would take back control, usually forcing CBJ to take another penalty.

There is no way that goal was a good goal. The former head of the officials, Stephen Walkom, was the one that waived off the goal. And yet, the other officials and Toronto said it was a good goal. They got a free point because of that call.

When they showed the Belak penalty, the arena ooh-ed, all the guys leaned forward, squeezed their knees and groaned...then everyone just started laughing. If it happened to Tootoo we would be upset, but CBJ fans would be laughing and cheering, too. It goes both ways, so let's not talk about someone being "classy" .

Quote:
Anyone complaining about the officiating is delusional. In a perfect world, we'd all play nice and if one got a penalty, there'd be a penalty to the other to even it out...but the calls were legit. How do you complain about a blatant trip, or a puck over the glass? They were taking penalties because we were dominating possession in the offensive zone. To complain about that is ignorant, and just because your PBP team does it doesn't justify it. In fact, it just makes them look the silliest of all.

My hatred of the Jackets is starting to rival that of the Wings. They've always been the bratty little brother, but after making the playoffs once, there's some sort of sense of entitlement or something. If you want to whine about officiating, whine about Nash's blatant dive. Call a spade a spade.
I know I hate the Jackets probably more than the Wings. The Wings fans really toned down their attitude when the Preds had those really good years and still have been halfway decent. But Cbj fans are arrogant jerks for no reason.

We're one of the least penalized teams in the league, so right there should tell them they wouldn't be getting a lot of power plays.

Flying elbows, two handed slashes, sticks parallel and in the guy's stomach, shooting the puck over the glass. Preds didn't retaliate either (aside from Belak) so the only things getting called was Cbj players trying to start crap or taking blatent penalties.

While Klein did hit Nash's skates, barely, Nash threw his arms out to the sides and fell backwards like he was doing a reverse bellyflop to the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Personally I have no problem with what Belak did as long as there were some precursors, previous cheap shot and the team isnt willing to fight, which I believe happened. And as long as there is at least a several goal lead or deficit. Had Columbus not scored on the PP we likely would be talking about how dirty Klesla? was with the flying elbow/crosscheck instead of Belak.
When Belak speared Boll it was after being hit for the second time in the game with a flying elbow/forearm to the head. He was rightfully pissed about the blows to the head.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 05:21 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303 View Post
From now on, no more game day naps or anything for Legwand, just high-stress afternoons, get to the arena 40 minutes before faceoff! Congrats to the new Dad!
Since he won't be able to get regular sleep at night with a newborn in the house, maybe he ought to grab a catnap prior to the games.

Congratulations on your son's birth David!

Old
11-23-2009, 05:32 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
I was a bit annoyed right before the penalty. I felt we were controlling the game a bit more than they were and with a one goal lead I was complaining that Belak was out there. Then the penalty and they tie it up. GRR.

Sometimes I think Trotz wishes fighting hadn't diminished somewhat and he's on a crusade to make sure it stays. Although early/midway last season I felt we were getting pushed around a lot during a few week stretch and cheapshotted too much and I complained Trotz wasn't doing anything about it.

He almost sounded as if he felt he had to defend sending Belak out there with his comments after the game about Belak. Talking about the penalty and making it sound as if Belak needed to be a regular skater except without the bad penalties.

I'm not saying Belak hasn't been ok this year, but I was surprised to see him on the ice with a one goal lead in a game we were doing well in.