HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ouellet

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2004, 03:27 AM
HockeyMaster

vCash:
Ouellet

For those who have seen Ouellet play...I haven't...can you tell us if you think his skating has improved enough to make the NHL roster? There was a recent PG article saying that it had improved slightly, but it's hard to get a feel for it without having seen him. He seems to be turning into quite a sniper, and it's encouraging to see him continue to improve on what was an impressive rookie campaign last year. Can he play for the big Pens? And could he eventually fill a top-6 role? Thanks for any info

Edit: I just checked, he's got 18 goals in 26 games played. That's good for 2nd in the entire AHL. Those are some serious numbers!

Last edited by HockeyMaster: 12-12-2004 at 07:19 AM.

Old
12-12-2004, 12:44 PM
The Old Master

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMaster
For those who have seen Ouellet play...I haven't...can you tell us if you think his skating has improved enough to make the NHL roster? There was a recent PG article saying that it had improved slightly, but it's hard to get a feel for it without having seen him. He seems to be turning into quite a sniper, and it's encouraging to see him continue to improve on what was an impressive rookie campaign last year. Can he play for the big Pens? And could he eventually fill a top-6 role? Thanks for any info

Edit: I just checked, he's got 18 goals in 26 games played. That's good for 2nd in the entire AHL. Those are some serious numbers!
i haven't seen him play either, but if your a sniper your skateing doesn't have to be that good. all you need is a good setup man to do all the work! [rob brown]

Old
12-12-2004, 02:42 PM
Seabass
Onward and Upward

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seabass
Quote:

I don't really think skating is a problem. Most of his goals startfrom a standstill, whether it being him firing the puck once it comes, or waiting that extra second and letting it go. Ouellet's instincts lead him to the high-scoring areas. The only flaw I really see in his skating are those quick bursts of lateral speed, whether it be a cut or just starting his stride.

Defensive positioning is my biggest worry about him. He's upped his aggression, but that doesn't help if you're not in the right spot.

Old
12-13-2004, 04:21 AM
HockeyMaster

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass
I don't really think skating is a problem. Most of his goals startfrom a standstill, whether it being him firing the puck once it comes, or waiting that extra second and letting it go. Ouellet's instincts lead him to the high-scoring areas. The only flaw I really see in his skating are those quick bursts of lateral speed, whether it be a cut or just starting his stride.
Thanks for the info. It really helps to hear from those who get to watch our prospects. (And I'm jealous of you guys, by the way...lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass
Defensive positioning is my biggest worry about him. He's upped his aggression, but that doesn't help if you're not in the right spot.
Why do you say that? Does he tend to cherry-pick, leaving him out of defensive position? Or is it something else?

Old
12-13-2004, 05:52 PM
Seabass
Onward and Upward

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seabass
Quote:
Why do you say that? Does he tend to cherry-pick, leaving him out of defensive position? Or is it something else?
Not cherry picking at all.

He tends to focus on the puck and lose the man he should be covering. Sometimes he'll also play the puck rather than the body (when his man has the puck), but I think that's just because he's an offensive player and wants to make things happen.

Old
12-14-2004, 02:50 AM
HockeyMaster

vCash:
Thanks for the info. IMO that sounds correctable...something he could certainly improve on with experience.

Closed Thread