HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stoll Back in Lineup 11/28/09

Old
11-23-2009, 03:06 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
You can knock Purcell all you want but having him on a checking line is a waste of time. He's one of the few skilled players that kings have and he deserves to be on a top 2 line.
i think it's funny how you use Purcell and the word "deserves" as if he's been getting the short end of the stick.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 03:10 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
(in my best Jim Mora voice)

"Hickey?"

"HICKEY?"

"You're talking Hickey?"
Yes, Hickey is a helluva prospect, despite what some people think.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 03:16 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
i think it's funny how you use Purcell and the word "deserves" as if he's been getting the short end of the stick.
I suppose I can try and explain but let's just chalk this one up to "agree to disagree".

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 03:16 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Yes, Hickey is a helluva prospect, despite what some people think.
Emphasis on "prospect!"

Apparently, at least so far this season, his game is NOT transalting well to the AHL, on the best team in that league. If I had a five'r for every phenomonal defensive prospect this franchise has selected or traded for and touted, I'd be wealthy. Probably (long) before your time but can you say Dean Kennedy, who someone in this organ-eye-zation once touted as the next Bobby Orr.

I'd be looking at Voinov or Martinez long before thinking that the undersized Thomas Hickey is an NHL caliber player.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

It’s still a wait-and-see thing all around. Terry Murray said Jarret Stoll felt better today, but Murray was waiting to speak with the team trainer about Stoll’s status. Same goes for Rob Scuderi. It’s likely that we’ll see at least one Manchester call-up this afternoon.

Jonathan Quick will start Wednesday, and Murray said he would “keep an open mind” about Thursday’s game.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 03:29 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Emphasis on "prospect!"

Apparently, at least so far this season, his game is NOT transalting well to the AHL, on the best team in that league. If I had a five'r for every phenomonal defensive prospect this franchise has selected or traded for and touted, I'd be wealthy. Probably (long) before your time but can you say Dean Kennedy, who someone in this organ-eye-zation once touted as the next Bobby Orr.

I'd be looking at Voinov or Martinez long before thinking that the undersized Thomas Hickey is an NHL caliber player.
Hickey will be the best of the bunch, it's not even debatable. Two of the most underrated shut down defenseman in the NHL are Hickey's size, lol. Kimo Timonen and Dan Hamhuis say hello. BTW, Hickey is bigger than Voinov and is better offensively with better hockey sense. The reason Voinovs development is ahead is because he played pro in Russia.

All the crap talked about Hickey and how LA should have picked Gagner or Voracek is laughable. Gagner is on pace for 18 goals, 47 pts. Voracek 19 goals, 50 pts. both playing a bigger role. Simmonds is on pace for 17 goals, 37 pts. playing 3rd line. We still have Hickey as well as Moller where they belong, developing in Manchester.

Last edited by SFKingshomer: 11-23-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old
11-23-2009, 03:33 PM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Sorry to break it to you guys but no way they move Purcell up to the top line after the way he has played.

I gotta believe it's gonna be...

Frolov-Kopitar-Williams
Parse-Loktionov-Brown
Ivanans-Purcell-Simmonds
Purcell-Richardson-Segal
I suppose the team has few options, but Keyrist, talk about throwing a kid into the deep end of the pool. Loktionov's never been on an NHL regular-season rink. Now he's centering an NHL club's second forward unit?

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 03:57 PM
imissgretzky

Quote:
Hickey will be the best of the bunch, it's not even debatable. Two of the most underrated shut down defenseman in the NHL is Hickey's size, lol. Kimo Timonen and Dan Hamhuis say hello. BTW, Hickey is bigger than Voinov and is better offensively with better hockey sense. The reason Voinovs development is ahead is because he played pro in Russia.

All the crap talked about Hickey and how LA should have picked Gagner or Voracek is laughable. Gagner is on pace for 18 goals, 47 pts. Voracek 19 goals, 50 pts. both playing a bigger role. Simmonds is on pace for 17 goals, 37 pts. playing 3rd line. We still have Hickey as well as Moller where they belong, developing in Manchester.
Curious to know if you've seen any Monarchs games this year. What are you basing your assessments on? I haven't but I too have been led to believe that Hickey is going to be a number 1 d-man someday. His stats this year are down from last and he's only played 15 of 21 games. Has he been hurt or scratched?

imissgretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 05:29 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Hickey will be the best of the bunch, it's not even debatable. Two of the most underrated shut down defenseman in the NHL are Hickey's size, lol. Kimo Timonen and Dan Hamhuis say hello. BTW, Hickey is bigger than Voinov and is better offensively with better hockey sense. The reason Voinovs development is ahead is because he played pro in Russia.
What a silly thing to say. It is very debatable. Voynov is already better than Hickey and just because he is further developed, does not mean he won't still continue to develop.

As for the size, if you were to actually look at the Monarchs website, Hickey is listed at 5'11" 182lbs while Voynov is 6'0" 190lbs. Kind of the opposite of bigger.

Better offensively and better hockey sense is totally debatable as well. So far, Voynov has performed better in better leagues than Hickey has. Neither have seen an NHL game. You can't trot this around as fact, it merely your opinion.

Get this, Hickey is also older. There is a very strong debate to be had here.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 05:37 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
... I would say that of all the Kings this season, Purcell has been placed in the worst possible position to achieve any success whatsoever.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... I would say that of all the Kings this season, Purcell has been placed in the worst possible position to achieve any success whatsoever.
Disagree.

Purcell played his way off the second line and is now laying his way off the team.

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 06:12 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Disagree.

Purcell played his way off the second line and is now laying his way off the team.
Wrong!

The entire second line was slow to start the season. Hey, they're a new line, give them some time to get acclimated. Besides, like I said, Purcell wasn't the only one, Brown and Stoll were both off to a slow start as well. The main reason that Purcell started his descension in the lineup is due to the success of Parse.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 06:26 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
What a silly thing to say. It is very debatable. Voynov is already better than Hickey and just because he is further developed, does not mean he won't still continue to develop.

Better offensively and better hockey sense is totally debatable as well. So far, Voynov has performed better in better leagues than Hickey has. Neither have seen an NHL game. You can't trot this around as fact, it merely your opinion.

Get this, Hickey is also older. There is a very strong debate to be had here.
I've seen both play but at the jr. level and Hickey was better, IMO. The Monarchs website is where I checked and it lists Hickey as being an inch taller.

Name: Viatcheslav Voynov
Number: 76
Pos.: D
Shoots: R
Height: 5-11
Weight: 202
Birthdate: 1990-01-15

Name: Thomas Hickey
Number: 37
Shoots: L
Height: 6-0
Weight: 190
Birthdate: 1989-02-08

Old
11-23-2009, 06:43 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
I've seen both play but at the jr. level and Hickey was better, IMO. The Monarchs website is where I checked and it lists Hickey as being an inch taller.

Name: Viatcheslav Voynov
Number: 76
Shoots: R
Height: 5-11
Weight: 202
Birthdate: 1990-01-15

Name: Thomas Hickey
Number: 37
Shoots: L
Height: 6-0
Weight: 190
Birthdate: 1989-02-08
So you've watched a lot of Voinov at the junior level, or enough of both of them to make a valued comparison let alone a "not debatable" statement? Somehow, I highly doubt that.

Look, Hickey was slated late 1st round and LA reached. Voinov was slated late 1st but the absence of the "Russian thing" would have had him ranked higher in a better draft year than Hickey's. I'm not saying one is better than the other but you are coming on so strong with the Hickey-love that I'm going to have to go freeze a spoon so people aren't on too the fact that I read your posts.

As for calling up Loktionov, I'd expect 4th line minutes at 5-on-5 but they will use him on the power play.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 06:48 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
So you've watched a lot of Voinov at the junior level, or enough of both of them to make a valued comparison let alone a "not debatable" statement? Somehow, I highly doubt that.

Look, Hickey was slated late 1st round and LA reached. Voinov was slated late 1st but the absence of the "Russian thing" would have had him ranked higher in a better draft year than Hickey's. I'm not saying one is better than the other but you are coming on so strong with the Hickey-love that I'm going to have to go freeze a spoon so people aren't on too the fact that I read your posts.

As for calling up Loktionov, I'd expect 4th line minutes at 5-on-5 but they will use him on the power play.
I've seen 2 years of World Jr. and liked Hickey's game more.

Old
11-23-2009, 07:00 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
I've seen 2 years of World Jr. and liked Hickey's game more.
Exactly the point being made. You've seen two tournaments and have come to a decision.

While I figured this was the case to begin with, the fact that you liked Hickey's game in the last WJC over Voinov's makes me seriously question your "scouting" ability.

I want Hickey to be as great as his draft number would make him out to be: we all do. Saying it on this forum isn't going to make it happen though and, so far, he hasn't shown anything outside of playing well in Juniors while Voinov already has a year under his belt as arguably Manchester's best defenseman.

You can only compare them based on equal leagues; so far Voinov has the edge both at the WJC and in the AHL. I'm not saying Hickey won't be better but, at the moment, you'd lean towards Voinov unless you have a man-crush on Hickey. Even then, I don't think I want either of them suiting up on the LA blueline this season.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 07:13 PM
funky

Hickey vs Voinov - Right now Voinov has the definate edge as he has performed better in the AHL, neither have seen NHL action. He more of an asset at this point then a player ready to step in and help

As for Purcell, he may excel as a 2nd line winger, but he would need Vinny L as his center, and a coach that doesn't put a lot of emphisis on grit

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 07:16 PM
onlyalad

per Rich:
Loktinov, Segal called up, Smyth to IR
Posted by Rich Hammond on 23 November 2009, 4:09 pm
The Kings made their moves, calling up Andrei Loktionov and Brandon Segal and putting Ryan Smyth on injured reserve.

Loktionov leads the Manchester Monarchs with 17 points in 20 games, while Segal has 14 points in 21 games. Both would make their NHL debuts if they get into games with the Kings

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Shellz

Smyth moved to IR

Hurry back mister

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
It's very Andy Murrayish. Trying to turn everyone into the same type of player. Not everyone is a muck and grind type of player nor should that be the standard for every player. If Purcell's strengths do not fit the identity of this team, then I can live with that. But if every player in a Kings uniform has to be a gritty two way forward or a tough, defensive defenseman to be successful, then let's just stop watching Kings hockey until Dean gets those two types at every position.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 07:29 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
per Rich:
Loktinov, Segal called up, Smyth to IR
Posted by Rich Hammond on 23 November 2009, 4:09 pm
The Kings made their moves, calling up Andrei Loktionov and Brandon Segal and putting Ryan Smyth on injured reserve.

Loktionov leads the Manchester Monarchs with 17 points in 20 games, while Segal has 14 points in 21 games. Both would make their NHL debuts if they get into games with the Kings
LET'S GO ELBOW!!

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 07:37 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
It's very Andy Murrayish. Trying to turn everyone into the same type of player. Not everyone is a muck and grind type of player nor should that be the standard for every player. If Purcell's strengths do not fit the identity of this team, then I can live with that. But if every player in a Kings uniform has to be a gritty two way forward or a tough, defensive defenseman to be successful, then let's just stop watching Kings hockey until Dean gets those two types at every position.
... You know, I thought that Purcell was showing progress in the Flyers game on that line with Handzus and Simmonds. I truly think it's a confidence issue with Purcell, that most of the time this season he's been afraid to make a mistake and it's paralyzed his offensive game. With Handzus solid defensively and Simmonds there to play the physical game, Purcell seemed to show more aggressiveness toward getting to open ice and getting after loose pucks.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Johnny Utah

Segal is not making his NHL debut...he played a few games with Tampa last year.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 07:46 PM
TKFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by imissgretzky View Post
Curious to know if you've seen any Monarchs games this year. What are you basing your assessments on? I haven't but I too have been led to believe that Hickey is going to be a number 1 d-man someday. His stats this year are down from last and he's only played 15 of 21 games. Has he been hurt or scratched?
Hickey has been a scratch for several games. Many of us assumed that he was a healthy scratch, but over the weekend Morris indicated that Hickey had been hurt. Surprise to us in Manchester. Certainly not saying that every game he's been out was due to an injury though.

TKFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 07:49 PM
imissgretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKFAN View Post
Hickey has been a scratch for several games. Many of us assumed that he was a healthy scratch, but over the weekend Morris indicated that Hickey had been hurt. Surprise to us in Manchester. Certainly not saying that every game he's been out was due to an injury though.
Got it. Thanks for the update.

imissgretzky is offline   Reply With Quote