HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Czarnik leaves Michigan for the Plymouth Whalers

Old
11-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

vCash: 500
Czarnik leaves Michigan for the Plymouth Whalers

Here's the Link I found on Puck Daddy. Didn't really see this coming, but I have a feeling we've pissed off Michigan again.

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....chigan-for-ohl

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 06:46 PM
palffytofrovlov

Oh no Michigan wont ever let us in the building again... but I think its better for him to play in the OHL... shows good skills, hopefully its to make him better to play at the World Juniors.

palffytofrovlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Fat Elvis

It'll be easier to see how he measures up to the other prospects now.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Czarnik was a flop offensively, and is a quitter on top of that.

I don't know how anyone can defend someone who quits on teammates and coaches he committed to, especially when the team is off to a rough start, shows a real lack of character by Czarnik. If you leave after the season to sign a pro contract, that is fine, but you quit midseason, just gross.

And what Berenson was mad at Taylor and the Kings about was that they went in and told Cammalleri that he was going to play on a line with Allison and Deadmarsh if he signed early, and then he was promptly shipped down to Manchester while the Kings kept players like Heinze, Johnson, Rasmussen etc.

A similiar thing happened with Tambellini

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Czarnik was a flop offensively, and is a quitter on top of that.

I don't know how anyone can defend someone who quits on teammates and coaches he committed to, especially when the team is off to a rough start, shows a real lack of character by Czarnik. If you leave after the season to sign a pro contract, that is fine, but you quit midseason, just gross.

And what Berenson was mad at Taylor and the Kings about was that they went in and told Cammalleri that he was going to play on a line with Allison and Deadmarsh if he signed early, and then he was promptly shipped down to Manchester while the Kings kept players like Heinze, Johnson, Rasmussen etc.

A similiar thing happened with Tambellini

This might be the wrong time to ask you this, but is there something/anything going on at Michigan that maybe the Kings org doesn't like? (honest question, I really don't know and am not assuming either way) Because off the top of my head, I can't recall them doing this to another school.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Fat Elvis

Valid points Herby, this mid-season stuff is bush. Wonder if Kings brass had a hand with it, or it was his decision.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
Valid points Herby, this mid-season stuff is bush. Wonder if Kings brass had a hand with it, or it was his decision.
Agree. He probably said it better than I did ^^^^

Old
11-23-2009, 07:28 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by palffytofrovlov View Post
Oh no Michigan wont ever let us in the building again... but I think its better for him to play in the OHL... shows good skills, hopefully its to make him better to play at the World Juniors.
After this, whatever chances he had may be out the window. USA Hockey doesn't like it when kids jerk around college programs like that.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 07:45 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
From a totally objective standpoint, I don't like the college system for developing prospects, and furthermore, from what we have seen from Jack Johnson, we need a coach who will actually coach his players.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
From a totally objective standpoint, I don't like the college system for developing prospects, and furthermore, from what we have seen from Jack Johnson, we need a coach who will actually coach his players.
Do you realize how many players are in the NHL who played under Red Berenson in Michigan?

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 08:10 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
Do you realize how many players are in the NHL who played under Red Berenson in Michigan?
They do have a very talented program which has been able to get a lot of very good players. And I will retract my statement.

But I will say that Jack isn't exactly a shining example of developmental coaching.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
This might be the wrong time to ask you this, but is there something/anything going on at Michigan that maybe the Kings org doesn't like? (honest question, I really don't know and am not assuming either way) Because off the top of my head, I can't recall them doing this to another school.
I don't think this has anything to do with the Kings, if the Kings didn't want him at UM they would have signed him this summer. I think this is just a player making a decision on his own.

As for the Kings and UM, I don't think there is any problem with current management, DL traded for JJ and drafted Czarnik. There was definitely a problem with the previous management, as I said in my earlier post, Berenson thought Taylor was very unfair in promises made to Cammalleri. Michigan was going to be loaded in 02-03 if Cammalleri (and Komisarek) had come back, hell they lost arguably the best forward and defenseman in the NCAA to and still went to the Frozen Four. Cammalleri was promised the world by Taylor and spent almost the entire year in Manchester.

Old
11-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
They do have a very talented program which has been able to get a lot of very good players. And I will retract my statement.

But I will say that Jack isn't exactly a shining example of developmental coaching.
Jack has been a star in college and at the international level for the junior and senior national teams and is probably going to play for our olympic team.

Perhaps its Terrible Murray who is mishanding him?

Old
11-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
I don't think this has anything to do with the Kings, if the Kings didn't want him at UM they would have signed him this summer. I think this is just a player making a decision on his own.

As for the Kings and UM, I don't think there is any problem with current management, DL traded for JJ and drafted Czarnik. There was definitely a problem with the previous management, as I said in my earlier post, Berenson thought Taylor was very unfair in promises made to Cammalleri. Michigan was going to be loaded in 02-03 if Cammalleri (and Komisarek) had come back, hell they lost arguably the best forward and defenseman in the NCAA to and still went to the Frozen Four. Cammalleri was promised the world by Taylor and spent almost the entire year in Manchester.
Gotcha, thank you

Old
11-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:

Cammy was one of the best forwards in the NCAA? Wow, a player like that has the potential to be a consistent 30 goal scorer in the NHL. Too bad we never had a shot at him. He was a keeper.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 08:46 PM
JMFJ 3

Interesting move to say the least, hopefully he gets plenty of ice time in the OHL.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 09:22 PM
bland

I think you are being a little too lenient on Cammalleri, Herby...

He threatened to leave Michigan to play junior stictly as a bargaining chip to get Taylor to sign him to a bigger deal. At the time, if Cammalleri had gone to junior, he would have been an UFA the following summer had the Kings not signed him to that entry contract.

This, paired with other contractual hassles is why Lombardi had no problem letting him go.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 10:53 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
I think you are being a little too lenient on Cammalleri, Herby...

He threatened to leave Michigan to play junior stictly as a bargaining chip to get Taylor to sign him to a bigger deal. At the time, if Cammalleri had gone to junior, he would have been an UFA the following summer had the Kings not signed him to that entry contract.

This, paired with other contractual hassles is why Lombardi had no problem letting him go.
Cammalleri was not going to the OHL, that rumor was 100% false. He had told the coaches he planned to come back for his senior year, remember Cammalleri started at UM as a 17 year old, so he was only going to be 20 for his senior year, where most kids are 1-3 years older than that. The Kings came calling that summer and he left. And it was never a matter of money, Cammalleri was arguably the best player in college hockey and was the leading scorer at the WJC, he was going to get the max from the Kings, so they had to give him more incentive, thus promising him the first line spot to get him to leave.

The same thing was done with Tambellini a couple of years later, Berenson has always said he has no problem with the kids leaving, his problem was the NHL GM's come in and give these kids the idea that they are going to step right in and play big roles on NHL teams, and then instead of flying on chartered jets to New York and Chicago they are riding busses between Lowell and Scranton instead of finishing their college years.

But like I said, leaving between seasons is one thing, but bailing on the team mid-season is just a chicken ____ thing for him to do, I hope he never wears the crown.

Old
11-24-2009, 12:16 AM
backhander

Quote:
Cammalleri was not going to the OHL, that rumor was 100% false. He had told the coaches he planned to come back for his senior year, remember Cammalleri started at UM as a 17 year old, so he was only going to be 20 for his senior year, where most kids are 1-3 years older than that. The Kings came calling that summer and he left. And it was never a matter of money, Cammalleri was arguably the best player in college hockey and was the leading scorer at the WJC, he was going to get the max from the Kings, so they had to give him more incentive, thus promising him the first line spot to get him to leave.

The same thing was done with Tambellini a couple of years later, Berenson has always said he has no problem with the kids leaving, his problem was the NHL GM's come in and give these kids the idea that they are going to step right in and play big roles on NHL teams, and then instead of flying on chartered jets to New York and Chicago they are riding busses between Lowell and Scranton instead of finishing their college years.

But like I said, leaving between seasons is one thing, but bailing on the team mid-season is just a chicken ____ thing for him to do, I hope he never wears the crown.
interesting...thx for the background

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 12:17 AM
KingLB

This really doesn't make a lot of sense to me, if he wanted to better position himself for the WJC (ie play more games) you think he would have left before the season, when NCAA isn't playing games but the OHL is. So I feel like there is more to this issue, maybe he wasn't getting the mins he wanted or had a falling out with the coach.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 01:11 AM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Here's another article that interviews him:
http://www.freep.com/article/2009112...071/1048/rss03

Quote:
"I wasn't happy there and want to be happy again," Czarnik said. "I don't think I got as much better as I should have."

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 01:18 AM
hangons

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
Here's another article that interviews him:
http://www.freep.com/article/2009112...071/1048/rss03
"I wasn't happy there and want to be happy again," Czarnik said. "I don't think I got as much better as I should have."

I think our Russian prospects speak as much better English as Robbie does.

hangons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 02:00 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangons View Post

I think our Russian prospects speak as much better English as Robbie does.
Obviously this was a issue with education and had nothing to do with hockey.....

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 05:53 AM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Obviously this was a issue with education and had nothing to do with hockey.....
He probably should have gone to Ohio St.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Tadite

Who cares? All that matters as a Kings fan is that the kid gets as many games as possible and is given the best chance at developing. If that is in Michigan then great! If not...

Not like it is rare for people to leave their original college and transfer.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote