HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joe Thornton #1 (November 14-22)

Old
11-23-2009, 12:02 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Joe Thornton #1 (November 14-22)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...id=DL|NHL|home

Congrats!!!

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 01:09 PM
skilks
This is nightmare

Also, the Sharks have earned the #1 Power Ranking from TSN for the FOURTH week in a row!

skilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 02:24 PM
WineShark

Jumbo has elevated his play in the last half-dozen games or so. I'm not talking about the 2 back-door plays to Heatley, at least one of which should have been a shot and if missed, a rebound chance for Heatley or Thornton. The scoring is really only a part of what's impressing me right this second. Its his relentless fore-checking and puck retrieval, his energy level and his take-aways ... they have all been impressive.

Jumbo will always have his blind pass give-aways. Some of those passes result in a primary assist and others go the other way, but he is using his reach more than I recall ever and skating harder on a back-check.

Commentators have noted that he is in better shape than last year, and last year he was in the best shape of his career too. Maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe its a carry-over from the embarrassment of last year. Maybe its the second year of TMacs coaching and there is more trust and understanding. But he has taken his prior Ron Wilson game to a new level without question.

I don't expect this intensity of play to continue ..... Patty has dropped off a little from his all-world status for example. High-intensity play cycles in and out and hopefully builds through a season. But when both Marleau and Thornton are playing in stretches the best of their careers, it bodes well for the team, particularly if they are both ready at the same time in the post season for once.

Nice accolade for the team and Jumbo.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 02:51 PM
renodave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Jumbo has elevated his play in the last half-dozen games or so. I'm not talking about the 2 back-door plays to Heatley, at least one of which should have been a shot and if missed, a rebound chance for Heatley or Thornton. The scoring is really only a part of what's impressing me right this second. Its his relentless fore-checking and puck retrieval, his energy level and his take-aways ... they have all been impressive.

Jumbo will always have his blind pass give-aways. Some of those passes result in a primary assist and others go the other way, but he is using his reach more than I recall ever and skating harder on a back-check.

Commentators have noted that he is in better shape than last year, and last year he was in the best shape of his career too. Maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe its a carry-over from the embarrassment of last year. Maybe its the second year of TMacs coaching and there is more trust and understanding. But he has taken his prior Ron Wilson game to a new level without question.

I don't expect this intensity of play to continue ..... Patty has dropped off a little from his all-world status for example. High-intensity play cycles in and out and hopefully builds through a season. But when both Marleau and Thornton are playing in stretches the best of their careers, it bodes well for the team, particularly if they are both ready at the same time in the post season for once.

Nice accolade for the team and Jumbo.
Right on the money WS. I would only add that the addition of Heatley gives JT a much more efficient finisher. The development of Seto's game has helped as well. I've also noticed that JT doesn't get thrown out of the face-off dot as much as before, yet he's still maintaining a high win percentage.

renodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 08:47 PM
SouthpawTRK

Congratulations to Jumbo for being the #1 Star on the NHL rankings (November 14-22)!!! Such an amazing playmaker and sniping the game winning goal against the Ducks on Saturday was icing on the cake

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote