HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Briere suspended 2 games per Darren Dreger

Old
11-24-2009, 05:15 PM
BringBackStevens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coda View Post
...I dont agree with the suspension at all...If the refs didnt call anything on the ice, than thats it...you cant retroactively go back and give hooking penalties...if theres no call on the play, it must be legal...and with 4 refs on the ice, someone saw it...
Then the refs screwed up. NHL is completely in their rights here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph View Post
It's ok to cross check Giroux in the back of the neck after he scores a goal but not Scott Hannan? Ok...
This is what irks me as well. Its only because Giroux got up and Hannan didn't

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 05:17 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
Now, about that cross check on Giroux...
THIS.

Consistency please. I'm okay with getting suspended for a dangerous/dirty hit, but show some consistency.

Anyway, I want to see Maroon.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 05:20 PM
nosnhoj

Worst timing ever!!!!!!!! I suspect hartnell/timmonen will play unless their injuries are REALLY bad.

nosnhoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 05:21 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
This is what irks me as well. Its only because Giroux got up and Hannan didn't
So much for punishing intent instead of result

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 05:26 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
The cross check on Giroux is hardly worth mentioning - and maybe it was because he didn't get hurt

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 05:39 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
So much for punishing intent instead of result
I'm not sure they've ever really claimed to punish "intent." Result has always driven the process.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 05:40 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
They are probably just rattled at the refs for the diving avalanche and the no calls for Carter getting boarded and tripped
You know for the longest time I thought the "Dives" was the most contrived team name slur ever. Thought it was a little desperate and immature and their rival fans forced it because hardly anything else works for "Avs".

WOW i was wrong.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 05:44 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Can't argue this one. He earned the 2-gamer.

Horrendous timing though. The Flyers are going to have more rookies and near rookies on the ice than veterans....
Looks eerily similar to the shot Vlasic gave Giroux after he scored......

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 05:45 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I'm not sure they've ever really claimed to punish "intent." Result has always driven the process.
oops I meant injury/ non injury

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 05:48 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

I know Briere should be punished. That's obvious.

A big issue, that is becoming more obvious as the years tick by, is inconsistent officiating.

The mentality of "keeping games tight" or "make-up calls" is not only producing a lot of iffy calls as well as a bunch of blown calls, but it is also clearly enough to get players frustrated to the point where they lash out like this.

Poor officiating is dangerous...for both sides.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Well at least he has a week or so to rest any injuries he may have and with Briere thats prob about 6 lower body tweaks to rest.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 05:56 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
This is the image from the mainboard thread:

Still frame, but whatever. Not going to complain. High hit, stick in the face and feet off the ice.

Two goals, two assists, two game suspension. I dub thee "Briere Hex-Trick".
Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
That pic is pretty incriminating. What a dumb ****.
Time makes fools of us all. I didn't think it warranted a suspension until I saw that. Def a suspension. I don't even remember them mentioning it during the game. But yeah, def a suspension.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 06:08 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Lets go Phantoms? Well with maybe 3 more players not being able to play, MAYBE Matsumoto/Maroon will now get a call up lol

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 06:10 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
You know for the longest time I thought the "Dives" was the most contrived team name slur ever. Thought it was a little desperate and immature and their rival fans forced it because hardly anything else works for "Avs".

WOW i was wrong.
During the heated era between the Red Wings and Avalanche, there was a website created by Wings' fans called 'Divealanche.'

It looks like the site doesn't exist anymore, but it was full of goodness.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
My point here is that you can't tell from that youtube vid whether that's true or not. He may very well have done those things, but you can't tell that for sure from that video. Like I said, if there's another angle showing it, then that's fine, but that vid is in no way damning evidence.

And even the still shot...you just can't tell with something like that. You could take stills of tons and tons of clean hits to make them look dirty. That still could be the moment he jumped off the ice, right as he crosschecked him up high. Or, it could be the moment right after he made impact with a clean hit, and was jolted into the air as a result. The momentum of his arms and stick could be coming up and away from Hannan's body there.

Again, my only point here is that the evidence in this thread so far isn't enough to tell anything for sure. If you have better video, please post it.
There actually was another angle from the Avalanche feed where you could see him leave his feet as well as get the shaft of the stick right into Hannan's throat. The thing is, Hannan wasn't even looking in his direction since he had just shot at the net, and the hit was almost two seconds late. I was expecting a longer suspension from it since it's pretty unsportsmanlike to retaliate on a goal scorer like that, especially with a hit that could turn out to be quite dangerous.

I'm surprised that a penalty wasn't called during play though, but I suspect the hit was missed by the refs since a goal had just been scored, that's probably where their attention was.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
There actually was another angle from the Avalanche feed where you could see him leave his feet as well as get the shaft of the stick right into Hannan's throat. The thing is, Hannan wasn't even looking in his direction since he had just shot at the net, and the hit was almost two seconds late. I was expecting a longer suspension from it since it's pretty unsportsmanlike to retaliate on a goal scorer like that, especially with a hit that could turn out to be quite dangerous.

I'm surprised that a penalty wasn't called during play though, but I suspect the hit was missed by the refs since a goal had just been scored, that's probably where their attention was.
We just learned 3 weeks ago with Richards that a player not looking does not deserve a suspension, that is his fault for not seeing Briere coming.

As for the time after he took the shot...I used the stopwatch on my phone and played the video 5 times to calculate how late of a hit it was. I got .5, .6, .7, .6, and .6. That is an average of .6 seconds. The difference between hitting someone .6 seconds after a shot and 2 seconds after a shot is HUGE, like over 3 times longer huge. Its the difference between a clean hit and a suspension. The time after the hit was not nearly long enough after her shot the puck to deserve a suspension

Now if he hit him in the face or throat, that does but to say it was 2 seconds after he released it just dead wrong and the fact that he wasnt looking is a non factor.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 06:48 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
it's pretty unsportsmanlike to retaliate on a goal scorer like that.
Cute. Buried (not so) cleverly in the middle of your post is the assumption that Briere had time to a) observe that the shot went in, b) decide to exact revenge of Boulerician proportions and c) execute that plan.

I really wish you'd stick to the thread on the main board if you're going to post this passive-aggressive drivel.

Old
11-24-2009, 06:51 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
As for the time after he took the shot...I used the stopwatch on my phone and played the video 5 times to calculate how late of a hit it was. I got .5, .6, .7, .6, and .6. That is an average of .6 seconds. The difference between hitting someone .6 seconds after a shot and 2 seconds after a shot is HUGE, like over 3 times longer huge. Its the difference between a clean hit and a suspension. The time after the hit was not nearly long enough after her shot the puck to deserve a suspension
Yeah, I said earlier that it was a little late but watched it a couple more times after and changed my mind...wasn't late.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 06:52 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Cute. Buried (not so) cleverly in the middle of your post is the assumption that Briere had time to a) observe that the shot went in, b) decide to exact revenge of Boulerician proportions and c) execute that plan.

I really wish you'd stick to the thread on the main board if you're going to post this passive-aggressive drivel.
He also jumped with his elbow in a dangerous position. Even if he didn't score, that's still very dangerous.

Old
11-24-2009, 06:54 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
I think Mike Richards deserved a suspension (booth hit) more than briere, but whatever.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
I think Mike Richards deserved a suspension (booth hit) more than briere, but whatever.
Except Briere's hit was illegal (at the very least left his feet) and Mike Richards' hit was clean. It is absolutely legal in this league to clean a guy's clock as long as the hit that does it is legal. Some people don't agree with that, obviously, but there it is.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 07:27 PM
BerubeBox*

Honestly I think it all comes down to the puck going in when no one expected it to. Hannan started relaxing like a corpse on heroin the moment he heard 'thep' instead of 'ping', or 'thwack', or whatever noise the puck makes when it hits the goalie. He straightened up and went pretty much limp. Not saying he shouldn't have - this is not the 'keep your head up' argument. It's natural to do that when you score. It was just bad luck on the part of both players. You can clearly tell Briere's hit didn't go the way he planned by how he falls backward, almost stunned.

I'm fine with the suspension. I'd expect as much if that was a hit against one of our guys. I just wish people would stop calling the hit late. Everyone saying that makes themself sound like they've only been watching the sport for a month or two, and I know that's not the case.

Old
11-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Honestly I think it all comes down to the puck going in when no one expected it to. Hannan started relaxing like a corpse on heroin the moment he heard 'thep' instead of 'ping', or 'thwack', or whatever noise the puck makes when it hits the goalie. He straightened up and went pretty much limp. Not saying he shouldn't have - this is not the 'keep your head up' argument. It's natural to do that when you score. It was just bad luck on the part of both players. You can clearly tell Briere's hit didn't go the way he planned by how he falls backward, almost stunned.

I'm fine with the suspension. I'd expect as much if that was a hit against one of our guys. I just wish people would stop calling the hit late. Everyone saying that makes themself sound like they've only been watching the sport for a month or two, and I know that's not the case.
So now leaving your feet to throw a crosscheck at someone's head is just bad luck? Where's the unlucky part, and how could he be stunned that the hit didn't go as he planned? What do you think he planned with the hit? Hannan's body was turned before Briere DECIDED to jump, in fact you can see that he even bent his knees to jump.

Cute. Buried (not so) cleverly in the middle of your post is that people aren't accountable for their actions, it's all just luck.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 08:17 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Let's just scratch Richards and Carter. Not like this team could go any further down the ******* in terms of missing players.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 08:18 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:

Dude you're making way to much happen in the matter of MAYBE one second.