HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What is the cause of a flexing skate?

Old
11-21-2009, 08:33 AM
Pierre Gotye

vCash: 500
What is the cause of a flexing skate?

I don't know how to explain this:

My left skate is just fine. Nice and stiff with my foot, my skate blade is always inline with the direction my foot is travelling.

My right skate has been kind of frutrating me. No matter how tight I lace my boot up, it seems my skate pivots too much with my foot. Like it's flexing, and not stiff.

My skates are broken in so that's not an issue. I have had my skate boot punched out due to a bunion on my right skate, but I guess I might need to get it punched out some more.

Nothing has seemed to correctly my 'flexing cradle' feel on my right skate.

Everything appears fine to me...all the fasteners on the cradle are in tack with the boot, and the blade is not loose.

It just seems to me that it doesn't feel right. I can't seem to fix it.

I have to play in a game tonight, but I guess I'll have to take it to the hockey shop tommorow to see if they can do something with it.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what might be causing this.

BTW : My skates are 2007 Reebok 5k's.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Hockeyfan68

Well I have only one idea about this but would assume after inspecting the skate you would have seen it, the RBK skate line quality under the RBK7s quality have a tendency to seperate at the heel from a guy's force of weight from use.

I saw 2 guys on our team with that skate (RBK5) have this problem and they had them repaired somewhere. They reglued it or whatever they use for that stuff.

Check the soul part the blade holder is attached to for a gap that opens when applying force to the blade sideways while holding it in your hands just to see if that is it.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 03:58 PM
Pierre Gotye

My Mistake I have 7k.

Old
11-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Well I have only one idea about this but would assume after inspecting the skate you would have seen it, the RBK skate line quality under the RBK7s quality have a tendency to seperate at the heel from a guy's force of weight from use.

I saw 2 guys on our team with that skate (RBK5) have this problem and they had them repaired somewhere. They reglued it or whatever they use for that stuff.

Check the soul part the blade holder is attached to for a gap that opens when applying force to the blade sideways while holding it in your hands just to see if that is it.
BTW: Can you ask about this? Where they had it done?

Old
11-21-2009, 05:51 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
BTW: Can you ask about this? Where they had it done?
I no longer play with them, i played with them this past summer.

I would assume any skate shop that does things like change blade holders, punch out bad spots etc would be able to do it.

Is that what the problem was? If your warranty is still good you may just be able to exchange them or something.

I am surprised an 7k would do this but then again I have had it happen to THREE pair of skates. I had this happen to two pair of CCM tacks in the late 80s early 90s as well as a pair of Bauer Supreme 3000 skates.

I am 240lbs and over 6ft so the G-force must be pretty high for the structure of skates. I do not think I have ever owned a pair where this hasn't happened to me after 4 years or so.

I expect the bauers I am using now will as well at some point.

I do know my friend who owns a proshop recommended I spend the extra money so I would avoid most common problems like this. This is why the 7K doing this surprises me, must be a fluke if this is what happened to you. Those are supposed to be quality enough to hold together with decent materials.

Old
11-22-2009, 03:31 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
I no longer play with them, i played with them this past summer.

I would assume any skate shop that does things like change blade holders, punch out bad spots etc would be able to do it.

Is that what the problem was? If your warranty is still good you may just be able to exchange them or something.

I am surprised an 7k would do this but then again I have had it happen to THREE pair of skates. I had this happen to two pair of CCM tacks in the late 80s early 90s as well as a pair of Bauer Supreme 3000 skates.

I am 240lbs and over 6ft so the G-force must be pretty high for the structure of skates. I do not think I have ever owned a pair where this hasn't happened to me after 4 years or so.

I expect the bauers I am using now will as well at some point.

I do know my friend who owns a proshop recommended I spend the extra money so I would avoid most common problems like this. This is why the 7K doing this surprises me, must be a fluke if this is what happened to you. Those are supposed to be quality enough to hold together with decent materials.

man are you a helpful guy HF68. it's good to have you on these boards.

any time i a problem similar to this it was a rivet. i used to go through rivets so much that i replaced them with aircraft aluminum bolts.in junior every season when i got new skates, we'd replace the rivets before i even wore them.
i 'm not as hard on my skates as i used to be. LOL

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Pierre Gotye

Took my skates to PB today.

I posed my same questions and concerns to the Players Bench guy. He seemed pretty knowledgable.

After hashing back and fourth he looked at my skates.

The Lace eyelet Flaps that normally sit beside the tongue are folding over the top of the tongue.

Normally they will stand straight-up on a normal foot.

I am not sure if this is because of the shape of my foot(most likely). Or if the material is just breaking down?

This is kind of something I guess I am just going to have to play through? I suppose I could shell out another $500 for skates, but there's no guarantee it will fix my problem.

He thought that my foot sat too low in the footbed, so he added an additional foot sole, below my superfeet insert. It helped a little bit, but not too much.

My skate cradle and blade still pivots more than it should when I am in my skate.

Skates are a 2007 Reebok 7k model. Other than that I think they are a pretty decent skate. I think the shape of my foot is causing the problem more than anything else.

Old
11-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
man are you a helpful guy HF68. it's good to have you on these boards.

any time i a problem similar to this it was a rivet. i used to go through rivets so much that i replaced them with aircraft aluminum bolts.in junior every season when i got new skates, we'd replace the rivets before i even wore them.
i 'm not as hard on my skates as i used to be. LOL
Haha aluminum bolts how awesome is that. I've only replaced ONE loose rivet with a small nut and bolt because I had a game and no time to get them fixed.

Good thing yours were all aluminum as the weight would have been something I bet!

As for the helpful thing i try to be, I certainly am no expert on most things. I just hear or see things happen to others and remember them, I suppose if you play for 435 years you are bound to see just about everything at some point.

Quote:

I posed my same questions and concerns to the Players Bench guy. He seemed pretty knowledgable.

The Lace eyelet Flaps that normally sit beside the tongue are folding over the top of the tongue.

I am not sure if this is because of the shape of my foot(most likely). Or if the material is just breaking down?

This is kind of something I guess I am just going to have to play through? I suppose I could shell out another $500 for skates, but there's no guarantee it will fix my problem.

He thought that my foot sat too low in the footbed, so he added an additional foot sole, below my superfeet insert. It helped a little bit, but not too much.

My skate cradle and blade still pivots more than it should when I am in my skate.

Skates are a 2007 Reebok 7k model. Other than that I think they are a pretty decent skate. I think the shape of my foot is causing the problem more than anything else.
Well it is good that you found out what it is but bad that it is because of your foot. I guess you need custom made skates $$$ .... I do too but cannot afford to so I make the best of it.

Old
11-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Haha aluminum bolts how awesome is that. I've only replaced ONE loose rivet with a small nut and bolt because I had a game and no time to get them fixed.

Good thing yours were all aluminum as the weight would have been something I bet!

As for the helpful thing i try to be, I certainly am no expert on most things. I just hear or see things happen to others and remember them, I suppose if you play for 435 years you are bound to see just about everything at some point.

Well it is good that you found out what it is but bad that it is because of your foot. I guess you need custom made skates $$$ .... I do too but cannot afford to so I make the best of it.
Any idea where you get custom made skates?

Old
11-22-2009, 07:57 PM
vivianmb

Quote:

7mm with epoxy in the threads to keep them from loosening.LOL man was i serious about hockey back in the day LOL!!!
as for the 435 years ...LOL i hear ya!

Old
11-22-2009, 07:58 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Any idea where you get custom made skates?
try these guys.
www.cyclonetaylor.com
www.peranis.com
www.hockey1.com

Old
11-22-2009, 08:01 PM
vivianmb

Quote:

is it possible your foot is too small(flat)for that size? try bauers they are tighter top to bottom.

Old
11-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
When we say customizing what do you mean? Specially ordered skates just for your feet?

Or do you mean skates that can be heat moldable? I have done heat molding(twice) and have also had my boot punched out.

Old
11-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
is it possible your foot is too small(flat)for that size? try bauers they are tighter top to bottom.
What's weird is I tried Bauer's and CCM's to start with. I got tired of my Bauer Vapors(had some of the original ones that came out in 2000, that came with manufacturing problems) so I switched to Reebok.

He recommended CCM's but they didn't *feel* right. I tried the Reeboks 7k's and they felt better.

Maybe I need to re-consider Bauer and CCM.

Overall, I have been very happy with my skates until recently. I don't know what's causing my toes to deform...I have bunions on both feet, but my right skate it where the worst one is, and it's the skate in question.

There's really not much I can do to stop it. I can't quit working my job, and don't want to stop playing hockey.

Unfortunately, I might at some point have to stop playing hockey.

I've even considered biting the bullet and getting surgery on my bad foot. The problem is, it takes a month to get better and it would require me moving back to my parents house for a month. It would be a major inconvenience.

I am starting to wonder if my boot is just breaking down. I can't guess exactly how many hours I have worn my skates...probably around 120 most likely-200 at max hours.

The thing is I'd hate to shell out $500 for new skates, if it doesn't correct my problem, worsens my problem and if I had to get surgery then I'd have to start over.

I kind of think the arch of my foot has changed. More flat than it used to be.

The guy at the hockey shop thought that there was too much room in the top of my foot.

Old
11-23-2009, 08:42 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
What's weird is I tried Bauer's and CCM's to start with. I got tired of my Bauer Vapors(had some of the original ones that came out in 2000, that came with manufacturing problems) so I switched to Reebok.

He recommended CCM's but they didn't *feel* right. I tried the Reeboks 7k's and they felt better.

Maybe I need to re-consider Bauer and CCM.

Overall, I have been very happy with my skates until recently. I don't know what's causing my toes to deform...I have bunions on both feet, but my right skate it where the worst one is, and it's the skate in question.

There's really not much I can do to stop it. I can't quit working my job, and don't want to stop playing hockey.

Unfortunately, I might at some point have to stop playing hockey.

I've even considered biting the bullet and getting surgery on my bad foot. The problem is, it takes a month to get better and it would require me moving back to my parents house for a month. It would be a major inconvenience.

I am starting to wonder if my boot is just breaking down. I can't guess exactly how many hours I have worn my skates...probably around 120 most likely-200 at max hours.

The thing is I'd hate to shell out $500 for new skates, if it doesn't correct my problem, worsens my problem and if I had to get surgery then I'd have to start over.

I kind of think the arch of my foot has changed. More flat than it used to be.

The guy at the hockey shop thought that there was too much room in the top of my foot.
my feet are difft sizes. so my dad would buy the smaller size and then i'd wear two socks on one foot and none on the other.i did this until i was about 19 and found the wonderous invention of THE DREMAL TOOL.now i grind down the inside of the smaller skate till it fits.
i know that has nothing to do with your problem, but ...think outside the box. you'll figure something out.

Old
11-23-2009, 01:03 PM
maci4life

here's a way to tell. have someone with the same sized feet try on your skates to see if they get the same rolling around.

The most likely reason that the eyelit area is bending in is because you're over tightening that side because you may be thinking that the skates are still too loose, compared to the other boot.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
When we say customizing what do you mean? Specially ordered skates just for your feet?

Or do you mean skates that can be heat moldable? I have done heat molding(twice) and have also had my boot punched out.
I mean skates custom made to your feet like the NHL guys get ... and I do not know how they go about that but you can get that.

Maybe someone here may know what they do for that. I don't even know how expensive they are to get but they do cost more than a regular off the shelf skate which are expensive enough as they are.

Old
11-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Pierre Gotye

I got a cortisone injection in my other foot today.

Be happy you guys don't have my feet. My good foot has this damned problem. My other foot has a bad case of plantar facitis.

My world is fun, I think by the time I am 50 I am just going to have someone cut my feet off.

Old
11-23-2009, 09:34 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
I got a cortisone injection in my other foot today.

Be happy you guys don't have my feet. My good foot has this damned problem. My other foot has a bad case of plantar facitis.

My world is fun, I think by the time I am 50 I am just going to have someone cut my feet off.
Oh nooooo .... I hate to see people with foot problems. I looked up the PF thing and it looks painful.

Old
11-24-2009, 09:38 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Oh nooooo .... I hate to see people with foot problems. I looked up the PF thing and it looks painful.
my wife has it.and it worries me greatly. i'm worried she wont be able to push my wheelchair when i become cripple. but seriously an orthotic seems to have fixed it.

Old
11-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
my wife has it.and it worries me greatly. i'm worried she wont be able to push my wheelchair when i become cripple. but seriously an orthotic seems to have fixed it.
I have found in the long run orthotics didn't help. They were only temp fixes.

But I got a night splint, and do some stretching it's seemed to help.

Old
11-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Yeah, it's a tragedy to me. I don't know what I'll do if I can't play hockey.