HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Sunday Huddle" Oil Leaders team meeting

Old
11-24-2009, 04:32 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
You're misstating events. Horcoff was lambasted for what he said. I don't see why you want to lambaste someone else for his words. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, right?
He didn't say anything wrong! He is getting lambasted for nothing but being the whipping board on this board!

People read all sorts of things from one bloody word!

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
Souray was there and by the sounds of Horcoff's "us," was involved with the "venting" at the coaching staff.
I'd use Occam's Razor on that one.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
He didn't say anything wrong! He is getting lambasted for nothing but being the whipping board on this board!

People read all sorts of things from one bloody word!
I think his performance this season and his contract set the stage. If he didn't vent, he should be careful with his words right now. Like air tight.

Old
11-24-2009, 04:45 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
I think his performance this season and his contract set the stage. If he didn't vent, he should be careful with his words right now. Like air tight.
His salary and his performance is no excuse for making up garbage!

Though he now has 9 points in 8 games. He has been very good lately.

Secondly he didn't say anything wrong!

Old
11-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Soundwave

Horcoff's gotten more points lately because I think his injury has forced him to simplify his game and stop thinking so damn much about it, even though he probably doesn't have full mobility on that shoulder at all.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
His salary and his performance is no excuse for making up garbage!
What was made up?

Quote:
Though he now has 9 points in 8 games. He has been very good lately.
I hate these X Ys in Z games arbitrary things. Why 8 games. What's the number at 9 games? 10 games? 24 games? And if he's very good lately and terrible to start, does that just balance out to average overall? And is average worth $5.5M/y?

Quote:
Secondly he didn't say anything wrong!
He didn't say anything factually incorrect, like pi is exactly 3 or anything, no.

Old
alanschu

Quote:
I'd use Occam's Razor on that one.
That people are blowing things out of proprotion?

You use Occam's Razor when it's convenient and supports your opinion. This whole thread is laced with people decidedly NOT using Occam's Razor, including yourself.

Fact is, Horcoff was speaking on behalf of the group of players that went in that represent the leadership core. If you wish to omit that Souray would be an active participant, in spite of evidence from the past that he is willing to speak his mind, then that's your prerogative.

Given Horcoff's (and I think Renney's) comments that there was nothing individual about the meeting, I don't think you're doing that good of a job of using Occam's Razor regarding this issue.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RKD

I'm surprised this discussion is still going on. Quinn said yesterday himself that the last thing he wanted to do was have a one-way communication street with his players. He wanted to get the opinions of his leaders, because that's the best way to build a team. He said something along the lines of, "This is their team, so I needed to get their opinions on things."

Not being on the same page as some of the members here is fine. But this is coming from the man that runs the ship.

11-24-2009, 04:53 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ryan- View Post
I'm surprised this discussion is still going on. Quinn said yesterday himself that the last thing he wanted to do was have a one-way communication street with his players. He wanted to get the opinions of his leaders, because that's the best way to build a team. He said something along the lines of, "This is their team, so I needed to get their opinions on things."

Not being on the same page as some of the members here is fine. But this is coming from the man that runs the ship.
Thanks Ryan, I missed that. Pretty well seals the deal and confirms what I said yesterday.

You don't call in your leaders for a 90-minute meeting without wanting their input.

Old
11-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:

You use Occam's Razor when it's convenient and supports your opinion. This whole thread is laced with people decidedly NOT using Occam's Razor, including yourself.

Fact is, Horcoff was speaking on behalf of the group of players that went in that represent the leadership core. If you wish to omit that Souray would be an active participant, in spite of evidence from the past that he is willing to speak his mind, then that's your prerogative.

Given Horcoff's (and I think Renney's) comments that there was nothing individual about the meeting, I don't think you're doing that good of a job of using Occam's Razor regarding this issue.
No. Just that it's more likely to say Horcoff was venting than anyone else.

As I said, no player in that room had any right to vent. I've asked what some reasonable things would be to vent about and I've heard no response.

Old
11-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Thanks Ryan, I missed that. Pretty well seals the deal and confirms what I said yesterday.

You don't call in your leaders for a 90-minute meeting without wanting their input.
Looks like I have to repeat it to you again. Input is not complaining.

Old
11-24-2009, 05:09 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Looks like I have to repeat it to you again. Input is not complaining.
Venting does not meaning complaining!

Look it up in the dictionary.

Old
11-24-2009, 05:14 PM
alanschu

Quote:
No. Just that it's more likely to say Horcoff was venting than anyone else.

As I said, no player in that room had any right to vent. I've asked what some reasonable things would be to vent about and I've heard no response.
Who knows?

Maybe the instructions that the coach had wasn't clear for some details, and that they were getting in trouble from the coaching staff but they weren't 100% sure why, leading to assumptions and ultimately not remedying the problem.

Maybe they were venting that they felt the coaching staff was unapproachable, which Quinn the day after has certainly clarified.

Even if a player is struggling, or the team is struggling, doesn't suddenly stop them all from being several orders of magnitude more qualified to discuss what they are seeing on and off the ice with the coaching staff than pretty much anyone here. The fact that you don't feel they "deserve" to "vent" is irrelevant, and quite frankly the coaching staff for all intents and purposes disagrees with you. Though if you'd use Occam's Razor, you'd have already concluded this.

The only people I have seen give any indication that this is a "big deal" have been the over analytical HFBoards. Renney was rolling his eyes with a smirk on his face when the issue was brought up during his TV Timeout interview. Of course, the HFOil have always been particularly fanatical in their assessment of everything Oilers, whether it be for good or bad.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 05:19 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Yes.

A few different people have already said the coaches wanted to know what their thoughts were.

People saw the word "vent" and assumed the players walked into the room to give Quinn a piece of their mind with a chip on their shoulders. Pre-conceived notions.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Venting does not meaning complaining!

Look it up in the dictionary.
That's pretty much the default connotation if not denotation.

Anyway, my Outrage is now downgraded to Thinking It Was A Poor Choice Of Words, so the pitchforks are stowed and the torches extinguished.