HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers 2009-10 junior prospects update

Old
11-24-2009, 06:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Flyers 2009-10 junior prospects update

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...spects_update/

Quote:
Thanks to a "win now" philosophy in Philadelphia, the Flyers prospect pool is low on junior-level talent. Many of the recent selections from Canadian juniors are older as well which means they are closer to graduating to the professional level.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Wow, what a weak prospect pool for the young guys.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 08:44 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
It's nice to see Adam Morrison doing well. Lets hope we keeps it up.

Good read, Chris.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 09:05 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Not having junior guys doesnt really bother me right now. As long as we dont trade MORE high picks this year, we'll be fine

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 09:24 PM
XS Chop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Not having junior guys doesnt really bother me right now. As long as we dont trade MORE high picks this year, we'll be fine
We're fresh out of salaries that we need to dump, picks should be safe for a while.

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Bill Meltzer's take on our goalies:

Quote:
One bright spot in the Flyers farm system so far this season has been that two of their recently drafted goaltenders have been having strong seasons in their respective leagues.

Swedish goaltender Joacim Eriksson (Leksands IF, HockeyAllsvenskan) recently posted back-to-back shutouts and ranks in the Swedish minor league's top three in most major goaltending categories, including goals against average (2.14), save percentage (.933, best in the circuit) and shutouts (3, tied for the top spot).

Saskatoon Blades backstop Adam Morrison has emerged as a solid WHL starting goaltender at age 18. He put together a string of four good outings in a row and has racked up 10 wins in his 16 starts to go along with a 2.40 GAA and .913 save percentage.

Meanwhile, Notre Dame junior goaltender Brad Phillips continues to split time with freshman Mike Johnson. In seven starts, Phillips has a 1.96 GAA, .931 save percentage and one shutout. In six outings, however, Johnson has fared even better (1.49 GAA, .943 save percentage and one shutout).
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...24-09/45/24502

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 09:43 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS Chop View Post
We're fresh out of salaries that we need to dump, picks should be safe for a while.
I'm not worried.

If you look at Richards, Carter, Giroux, and vanRiemsdyk, I'm very confident in our offensive "core" players for a long time. Why would we need to draft even more?

You always want to be ahead of the game when it comes to prospects, but with what we have assembled, we can really take a couple of years off from picking in the first two rounds without missing a beat.

Our HF ranking will suffer, but who cares about that stuff?

It'll be up to Maroon, Nodl, Laliberte, Legein, and all of our other mid-tier prospects to fill in whatever holes in the top nine our future holds. With Hartnell, Briere, and Gagne here at least short-term, it'll give those guys a chance to adapt. Injury call-ups suck at times because you never want as many injuries as we've had lately, but it happens. It's good for guys like Laliberte to get some NHL face time over their early development.

Defense is in much the same state. Pronger and Timonen are older, but it's not like they're going to stop being effective tomorrow. Our defensive pool is stacked right now. No need to mess with that. Down the road we'll have to worry about a one and two if Coburn and Carle don't take over for Pronger and Timonen, but that's a long way off. We have Parent, Bourdon, Marshall, Bartulis, Bertilsson, Lehtivuori, and maybe even Bodrov who could become solid 3-4 guys already in our pool.

As for goaltending, I can't remember when I was this excited about two of our goalie prospects.

So we'll obviously look like we're in trouble to untrained eyes, but for a while the game is just to replenish our faces around the core. We're more than capable of doing that.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I'm not worried.
Our HF ranking will suffer, but who cares about that stuff?
You realize this is HFboards, right? Where prospects are worth more than proven roster players and top prospects are worth more than future HoFers...

Old
11-24-2009, 09:49 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Peruse the trade board at deadline time, and see how much top prospects and draft picks are worth.

Old
11-24-2009, 09:58 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
You realize this is HFboards, right? Where prospects are worth more than proven roster players and top prospects are worth more than future HoFers...
I do happen to work here. I'm not that oblivious.

Besides, if the organization feels they need more picks/prospects, they're on the way thanks to our cap situation. One of our defenders is probably gone at the end of this season.

Old
11-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
I do happen to work here. I'm not that oblivious.

Besides, if the organization feels they need more picks/prospects, they're on the way thanks to our cap situation. One of our defenders is probably gone at the end of this season.
Dude, I was just making fun of some of the posters here that tend to go insane on a regular basis.

Old
11-24-2009, 10:28 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Dude, I was just making fun of some of the posters here that tend to go insane on a regular basis.
I got it haha.

People here do tend to do the whole "you live and die by your draft classes in a salary cap era" bit a lot, but what they don't realize if that if you draft too many stars, they end up taking up too much of your salary cap space.

Drafting effectively is more important than drafting star talent.

Old
11-24-2009, 10:29 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Saw Rinaldo play again tonight.

Saw him run himself into the boards trying to splatter a Kitchener player (who ducked).

Then saw him get rocked on a hit - into the bench, knocking out the glass at the side of the bench. I thought he was going to be hurt, but he jumped right back out there. I'm betting it'll hit youtube in the next few hours. If it does, I'll post it.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 10:42 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Saw Rinaldo play again tonight.

Saw him run himself into the boards trying to splatter a Kitchener player (who ducked).

Then saw him get rocked on a hit - into the bench, knocking out the glass at the side of the bench. I thought he was going to be hurt, but he jumped right back out there. I'm betting it'll hit youtube in the next few hours. If it does, I'll post it.
He's going to be one heck of a player on a checking line. He's got so much Ken Linseman in him. He'll never be the offensive performer that Linseman was, but Rinaldo is a rat on the ice. Man, we're going to have some real agitating players when they make it to the big club. I can see a line of Rinaldo - Kalinski - Legein just giving other teams absolute fits when they're on the ice. I kind of like having some real pests on the club. They're going to keep Carcillo busy....lol

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 12:23 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Rinaldo doesn't sound like a checking line player. He sounds like a cheapshot artist who no one is going to want on the team, and we're going to have to have more conferences with the GM and coach to try and figure out how to get him to cut the crap and feed us some junk about how "he can be a player in this league, we just got to get him to stop with the shenanigans" instead simply having ALL 23 guys on your AHL roster who already know how to conduct themselves on the ice properly. When Rinaldo is signed, and his deficiencies are magnified by older, smarter players, I'm sure I'll have more to say about it then.

Old
11-25-2009, 12:28 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
^So you do or dont like Rinaldo?

I know I dont right now. Just seems like an even bigger Downie with no hidden talent.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 12:51 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

I haven't been a fan of Rinaldo (that's putting it mildly), but the Rinaldo I've seen this year is much better than other years. He's still physical, but he's turned into a pretty good PK'er and energy player/checker.

He's still getting calls based on reputation, and most of his hits come from flying halfway across the ice (but he doesn't get called for charging, for some unknown reason) but I'd say he'll do fine in the AHL and may get a shot at the NHL.

He doesn't have anywhere near Downie's skill (also putting it mildly), and I don't see the same kind of temperament. He can be a loose cannon, but in a different way.

Last edited by CharlieGirl: 11-25-2009 at 01:03 AM.
CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 01:01 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Just seems like an even bigger Downie with no hidden talent.
Basically, but I don't think he's as completely out of his mind as Downie.

Old
11-25-2009, 01:11 AM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Quote:
Basically, but I don't think he's as completely out of his mind as Downie.
Have they mastered brain transplants yet?

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 01:16 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Rinaldo doesn't sound like a checking line player. He sounds like a cheapshot artist who no one is going to want on the team, and we're going to have to have more conferences with the GM and coach to try and figure out how to get him to cut the crap and feed us some junk about how "he can be a player in this league, we just got to get him to stop with the shenanigans" instead simply having ALL 23 guys on your AHL roster who already know how to conduct themselves on the ice properly. When Rinaldo is signed, and his deficiencies are magnified by older, smarter players, I'm sure I'll have more to say about it then.
Rinaldo has been excellent since the Hunter brothers acquired him. I also like the fact he's a little ball of hate. And it's funny to hear about how "no one will want him on the team" when the talk here in London is just how important he is to the team. He does the dirty work that no one else wants to do. I like the fact he's not afraid to get his hands and nose dirty, will do whatever it takes to win and if it means doing something dirty, so be it. All what the guy wants to do is win and he'll do anything to win. There's not enough players like that in the Philadelphia farm system right now. He's going to be a very important player. And on top of it, Rinaldo is even being considered for the checking line on Team Canada's WJC team, so they obviously see something that they like about his game.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 01:21 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

I envy other teams who have good prospect systems. I just like the see the up and comers get a shot at making the squad. Then I turn and look at our prospect system and my mind sorta goes numb. I know we havent had too many picks, but there are always diamonds in the rough somewhere and we havent got ANY of them. I still love the Pronger trade, dont get me wrong, but we better get some higher picks in the this draft because the first 2 round are looking pretty solid.

I am big into prospects because I think that in a situation like we have now with Betts and Powe gone, and you are in a need to call up NODL?!?!?!? there is something wrong with your prospect system. Like I said before, I wish we gave Maroon a shot before Nodl since we already know what Nodl is about.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 03:03 AM
captainpaxil

by the time we have a first rounder well need one, probably a forward. the flyers have a bunch of mid range prospects as we are kinda stocked up for the next few years with our top guys both at forward and defense. i think the flyers are intentionally letting the cupboard thin a bit seeing who among the older prospects is a future nhler and how and where theyll fit in the organisations plans. im glad morrison is working out so far but i wouldnt be surprised to see more goalies taken in the draft next year.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 07:51 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
I envy other teams who have good prospect systems. I just like the see the up and comers get a shot at making the squad. Then I turn and look at our prospect system and my mind sorta goes numb. I know we havent had too many picks, but there are always diamonds in the rough somewhere and we havent got ANY of them. I still love the Pronger trade, dont get me wrong, but we better get some higher picks in the this draft because the first 2 round are looking pretty solid.
What are you, a fortune teller?

Quote:
I am big into prospects because I think that in a situation like we have now with Betts and Powe gone, and you are in a need to call up NODL?!?!?!? there is something wrong with your prospect system. Like I said before, I wish we gave Maroon a shot before Nodl since we already know what Nodl is about.
I don't think you have much of a clue what call ups look like league wide. Nodl is an adequate fill in, especially as the 3rd guy in line from the Phantoms.

You don't always just call up your best prospect. Bringing up Maroon to play 5 minutes is not good development of a prospect that very much needs that time in the minors. I'm not sure why people refuse to accept this

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 08:56 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post

Other teams? A year ago we were ranked, what 8th overall? Our prospects graduated, TO THE NHL. That's what you want them to do, not be ranked great prospects their entire career. Richards, Carter, Giroux, JVR, Carcillo, Hartnell, Carle, Coburn, Parent, are all young enough to be around for awhile. Bartulis, Bourdon, Marshall, Maroon, Legein, Nodl etc aren't exactly chopped liver.

Yes we need to restock, but it isn't a big deal right now given the age of most of the roster.

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Thanks for that. ROTFLMAO in agreement.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote