HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Montreal acquires Benoit Pouliot for Guillaume Latendresse

Old
11-24-2009, 12:59 PM
OilerzFRLife

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
Which is why tanking a season carries a huge load of risk.
would you rather we just miss the playoffs and pick 12th??? obviously theres no foresight on the issue but generally a top 4 pick will work out. when i say work out i mean roster spot. and possibly more. gagner was 6th pick and after his time in the nhl he could be considered somehwat of a bust. dont me wrong i think hes a good player but you could argue otherwise

OilerzFRLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 02:14 PM
JohnAlexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Awesome so we would have a solid goalie, a goal scorer and what seems to be a promising d-man and then two guys that we have no idea where they are going to go. I'm not sure about you but I am not exactly creaming my pants over that thought.
Having 6 blue chip prospects in the organization (including eberle) across essentially every position would give me infinitely more confidence heading into the future than the gigantic cluster**** of an organizational depth chart we've got now.

And you don't think Schenn and Schenn will pan out? How about go two years in the other direction then and we're sitting with Wheeler and Vanek.

Again keeping in mind that this is a highly selective anecdote, that's the type of talent you're likely to be getting if you get the worst of the prime draft choices.

If a team were truly rebuilding over a five year span it's more likely they'd see picks fall in a more haphazard fashion such as 1, 2, 4, 5, 7

which sliced practically any way over the last 5 years makes this team look ridiculously better for the future than they do now.

But hey, these things are such a gamble moving forward, why take the risk when you can cap out a team to sell hopes and prayers that culminate in missing the playoffs every year instead.

JohnAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 02:49 PM
VincenzosOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlexander View Post
Having 6 blue chip prospects in the organization (including eberle) across essentially every position would give me infinitely more confidence heading into the future than the gigantic cluster**** of an organizational depth chart we've got now.

And you don't think Schenn and Schenn will pan out? How about go two years in the other direction then and we're sitting with Wheeler and Vanek.

Again keeping in mind that this is a highly selective anecdote, that's the type of talent you're likely to be getting if you get the worst of the prime draft choices.

If a team were truly rebuilding over a five year span it's more likely they'd see picks fall in a more haphazard fashion such as 1, 2, 4, 5, 7

which sliced practically any way over the last 5 years makes this team look ridiculously better for the future than they do now.

But hey, these things are such a gamble moving forward, why take the risk when you can cap out a team to sell hopes and prayers that culminate in missing the playoffs every year instead.
I asked a similar question to another poster and I'll basically ask you the same.

Let me preface by saying I don't disagree with your rebuild over 5 yrs as you describe it but my question is how do you get to year 1 of the plan without a commitment from management to throw the season?

There are too many variables to consider this a sure method to success and would be almost impossible to achieve without some conscious effort to tank. And as a poster above stated, there is more than 1 way to succeed.

As to the bolded, ask yourself how other teams have become successful without resorting to tanking. If we can't become successful as so may other teams have without diving you have to ask why? And I'm pretty sure this question has been answered many times already with many differing, colorful solutions

VincenzosOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 03:55 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by VincenzosOil View Post
I asked a similar question to another poster and I'll basically ask you the same.

Let me preface by saying I don't disagree with your rebuild over 5 yrs as you describe it but my question is how do you get to year 1 of the plan without a commitment from management to throw the season?

There are too many variables to consider this a sure method to success and would be almost impossible to achieve without some conscious effort to tank. And as a poster above stated, there is more than 1 way to succeed.

As to the bolded, ask yourself how other teams have become successful without resorting to tanking. If we can't become successful as so may other teams have without diving you have to ask why? And I'm pretty sure this question has been answered many times already with many differing, colorful solutions
You move all of the big ticket veterans for picks and prospects. You dont sign ufa's other than depth guys that are picked up for short terms and small cap hits. Then you can sell your cap space (short term only) for more picks/prospects. You tell the fans that you have a plan to be much better down the road and that it will take commitment from everyone.

I dont know how many fans would be against it if it was sold properly. Surely most fans are already frustrated and would be willing to try something different that has been a model for success by clubs like Washington

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 11:28 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
You move all of the big ticket veterans for picks and prospects. You dont sign ufa's other than depth guys that are picked up for short terms and small cap hits. Then you can sell your cap space (short term only) for more picks/prospects. You tell the fans that you have a plan to be much better down the road and that it will take commitment from everyone.

I dont know how many fans would be against it if it was sold properly. Surely most fans are already frustrated and would be willing to try something different that has been a model for success by clubs like Washington
That's what they should have done when they traded Pronger and Smyth...

I think if the team misses play-offs again (likely), something has to give and a proper re-build should start this summer.

It is clear that this team is just not good enough and you can't really improve it by minor trades (O'Sullivan) or signing second tier UFas (Comrie).

What you have to do is to identify the core of the future and keep adding to it.
(To me that core is Gagner, Brule, MPS, Eberle, Smid).

Within the next two years many contracts of the current core run out (Moreau, Staios in 2011--thank God! out.

But also Souray, Penner, Visnovsky and Hemsky. These guys actually have a lot of value.

IMO, it's obvious that you have to trade one or both of Souray and Visnovsky--good young roster players, top end prospects, 1st round picks is what we should be gunning for.

Penner and Hemsky--both are extremely valuable now and possibly will be more valuable in a year or two. The problem: once their contracts run out, the Oilers likely won't be able to keep both, as they likely will command around 5.5-6.5M.

I believe Hemsky and Penner are the only guys on this team who can actually draw in a real blue chip prospect from a team that wants to compete now.

e.g. Boston has a pile of 1st round picks, including Toronto's 1st rounder this year.
They have a great team assembled, but I am sure would be happy to add a Penner or Hemsky.

Say penner for Tor 1st, Tor 2nd and a roster player (Boston needs to shed some salary).
a pick in the top 5 and another one in the top ten (I think that's where EDM's own pick will be) is a good start to the re-build).

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote