HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Briere suspended 2 games per Darren Dreger

Old
11-24-2009, 07:24 PM
CantSeeColors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Dude you're making way to much happen in the matter of MAYBE one second.
Seriously. Briere was trying to finish his check. Hannan was coming across the middle with his head down. Briere wasn't trying to target a defenseless goal scorer, he was playing physical hockey. Being Briere he's not too experienced at this and screwed it up - and got appropriately suspended - but let's not act like he came up with a vicious plot to avenge a goal scored on his team in half a second.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 07:40 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Except Briere's hit was illegal (at the very least left his feet) and Mike Richards' hit was clean. It is absolutely legal in this league to clean a guy's clock as long as the hit that does it is legal. Some people don't agree with that, obviously, but there it is.
So we figured it out on the leaving the feet penalty/suspension. The level of "such a superstar we don't do anything to you" is somewhere between Briere and Ovechkin.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 07:46 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Not surprised. He deserves it, not gonna lie.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
So we figured it out on the leaving the feet penalty/suspension. The level of "such a superstar we don't do anything to you" is somewhere between Briere and Ovechkin.
Oh, I guarantee that a few seasons ago Briere wouldn't have been suspended. And no one in this thread is claiming that the NHL has any concept of consistency.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 08:07 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Everytime that flowchart comes up, I have read the whole thing.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 08:45 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:

If I'm reading this correctly, then the NHL agrees with the rest of HF that Briere is on the second line.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
If I'm reading this correctly, then the NHL agrees with the rest of HF that Briere is on the second line.
He's definitely a first line player but I'm not sure he's a superstar.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 11:36 PM
captainpaxil

a fight and now a suspension. im so proud! our lil danny realises what it means to be a flyer.

that game was the best case against the instigator ive seen in a while.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 12:20 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
stupid, selfish and unnessessary,
Briere you are an idiot

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 12:43 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:

You know what's sad? That chart had truth written all over it.

What a joke of a league.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 02:10 AM
tzinc

horrible play should have been 5 games

tzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 02:21 AM
Sanders418777

C'mon 5 games? It wasn't late. He jumped and his stick was high near the neck. 2 games is fine, 1 seemed reasonable. It wasn't like he thrusted the stick into his throat and smashed in his trachea.

Sanders418777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 02:22 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Seriously. Briere was trying to finish his check. Hannan was coming across the middle with his head down. Briere wasn't trying to target a defenseless goal scorer, he was playing physical hockey. Being Briere he's not too experienced at this and screwed it up - and got appropriately suspended - but let's not act like he came up with a vicious plot to avenge a goal scored on his team in half a second.
The fact is he jumped on the check and cross checked the Av in the neck, and the Av did not return for the rest of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Not surprised. He deserves it, not gonna lie.
Agreed.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 03:27 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
You can't go by still-shots though. That's not how the game is played, so it's not how plays should be reviewed. People did the same thing with Richards hitting Booth, as irrefutable evidence that he should be banned from the league
I agree. He should have received a penalty. However a suspension is a little strong for that hit. If the league is going to suspend players for that type of hit there will be a lot of people sitting. See what happens to number 8 in DC.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 03:43 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I agree. He should have received a penalty. However a suspension is a little strong for that hit. If the league is going to suspend players for that type of hit there will be a lot of people sitting. See what happens to number 8 in DC.
How is a suspension 'a little strong' for a player that cross checks another player in the head/face and leaves his feet in the process?

I can only imagine if it were one of our players that ate the opposing players stick in that fashion, people here would be irate that it only landed a 2-gamer.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 07:05 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
You're making Briere out to be way more innocent than he is...Briere is a chippy S.O.B. and he likes to use his stick. I wouldn't go so far as to call Briere "dirty" -- he's no Clarke -- but it isn't like we don't see him act out with his stick/elbows on a regular basis when he's disgruntled or whatever.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 07:06 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
How is a suspension 'a little strong' for a player that cross checks another player in the head/face and leaves his feet in the process?

I can only imagine if it were one of our players that ate the opposing players stick in that fashion, people here would be irate that it only landed a 2-gamer.
Eh, well in fairness, I'm not confident a guy doing it to the Flyers would get a suspension...I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but I'm completely fed up with the suspension decisions.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 07:08 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post

Pretty much my point of view. Weird to see this coming from Briere, but it's deserved. Shots to the face are no joke, and the league has made it a point (numerous times) to get it across in the players heads that they will NOT be tolerated. I don't know how injured the Aves player is, but it's a legit suspension.

Old
11-25-2009, 07:34 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I'm kinda glad that someone is angry at the way this team is going at the moment though. At least briere is actually playing lights out, and like he gives a ****.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 08:48 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I'm kinda glad that someone is angry at the way this team is going at the moment though. At least briere is actually playing lights out, and like he gives a ****.
That's my only concern, that this is a hamper on his play as of late. In a team seemingly lacking motivation, Briere has shined for actually caring about the games, and is producing because of it.

Old
11-25-2009, 09:48 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
The fact is he jumped on the check and cross checked the Av in the neck, and the Av did not return for the rest of the game.
I'm well aware. Notice where I said he got suspended and that it was appropriate for that to happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You're making Briere out to be way more innocent than he is...Briere is a chippy S.O.B. and he likes to use his stick. I wouldn't go so far as to call Briere "dirty" -- he's no Clarke -- but it isn't like we don't see him act out with his stick/elbows on a regular basis when he's disgruntled or whatever.
I don't see myself making him out to be an angel anywhere in that post. I realized long ago that Briere gets his stick in places it shouldn't be. I'm merely trying to dispel the belief of some that Briere had some sort of sinister plan to take out a guy who had scored a goal. He wanted to hit the guy coming across the middle. With Briere that sometimes includes a stick coming up high and this time it got out of control. Dirty? Yes. Suspension worthy? Yes. Cold hearted killer? Please.

Old
11-25-2009, 09:56 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I for one hope briere comes back and decapitates hannan's head the next time we play, just to put those claims that briere is a cold hearted killer at rest. It's not right people think he isn't. He is a 5-10 killing machine

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 09:58 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I for one hope briere comes back and decapitates hannan's head the next time we play, just to put those claims that briere is a cold hearted killer at rest. It's not right people think he isn't. He is a 5-10 killing machine
I disagree with one part of your statement and it's definitely not about him being a cold hearted killer.

Old
11-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
No problems here with the suspension. I'm just Lol'ing at the dumb **** on the main board who thinks the league should've sent a message by suspending him for 20 games. Apparently we have Downie v2.0 and didn't even know it.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Really, to me, it was the lateness that was as bad as the impact. It was a really late hit.

The league can't say it's cracking down on headshots if it doesn't penalize stuff like that.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote