HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Gagner vs. Voracek

Old
11-24-2009, 08:17 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
I could care less about this pick because both will be great players. IMO the Oilers dropped the ball with the # 15 and # 21 picks. Ouch.
Nash and Plante both still like they will be NHLer's. The only bad thing is how much they gave up to go off the board to get Nash.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 09:29 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Nilsson View Post
Is Gagner the shortest Oiler?
Nope. I heard thats Cogs. It's funny how they fudge their stats.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 09:41 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

A little early to be judging Gagner. Future top line centre with all-star potential. He's small, a little slow making decisions... but he has top tier passing skills, vision, and is extremely competitive.

Lay off this guy already, we all know he is a slow starter.

Mark my words: barring injury Gagner finishes with at least 60 points this year.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 09:51 PM
oilerfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun View Post
Strange how this better...faster...player hasn't had a better season then Gagner has yet. Funny how that works.
i never said he had a better season, but he will be the better player given his skill advantage (if he learns to use his speed and size in tandem). This is also voracek's second season in the nhl and gagner's third.

Last edited by oilerfanatic: 11-24-2009 at 10:04 PM.
oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 10:03 PM
oilerfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
He has greater 'offensive instinct'? Based on what, other than your own perception?

And you would seriously play him above both Hemsky and Penner on our 1st line, both >PPG players this season? Really? I like Voracek, and I would've been fine with him as our pick in '07, but I surely don't understand that.

IMO they're both very good players, with their own skillsets. For you to proclaim that it's "no contest" based on the following production:

Voracek: 102-15-37-52, 52 PIM, 0.510 PPG
Gagner: 178-34-69-103, 87 PIM, 0.579 PPG

I dunno, seems a bit rash to me.

And for the record, for all the things you ding Gagner for not being (talented like Datsyuk, gritty like Fleury, fast like Cogliano)...Voracek isn't any of those either, at least in terms of those comparisons. What Voracek is, for sure, is bigger and faster than Gagner. That's it. That helps, but there's more to winning in the NHL than those traits.
voracek doesn't have to compensate for anything...small players like gagner do..you're right, being big and fast isn't the only recipe for success, but they are ingredients that can only help a player realize his potential...i will give gagner this, he has amazing awareness for his age, but will that alone make him a better player than voracek? i don't know...

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 12:59 AM
Tyrolean

If Vorcek played here he probably wouldn't be as good as he is in Columbus. The core isn't as solid here as there and he's be playing with no one as good as Nash.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 05:43 AM
Ty Webb*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
You inferred it by saying in your first post that his numbers this year haven't improved and then say Voracek is having a respectable year when both he and Gagner are having almost identical numbers this season.

Its not an attack but a statement on how fickle Oiler fans can be when it comes to their own players and prospects.
It might have something to do with the fact that Voracek is already very much a complete player. The Hossa comparison made by Hitchcock is dead on. Gagner is currently a very one dimensional player in comparison. 50ish points from a guy you who plays all 3 zones means a lot more than 50ish points from a guy who is (to some degree) a liability. As far as who will be the better player, I have no idea, but I wouldn't trade Gagner for Voracek. Gagner, imo, will be this team's #1 centre for a long time while Voracek would be 2nd line RW just like he is in Clb. 2 beauties really.

Ty Webb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 08:39 AM
Rooooooooooxxxanne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
If Vorcek played here he probably wouldn't be as good as he is in Columbus. The core isn't as solid here as there and he's be playing with no one as good as Nash.
I'll agree with this to a certain extent.

The fact of the matter is, each player could have developed differently if drafted the other way.

With that said, given what has happened, I feel Voracek will end up being the player who puts up more points, and will be declared as the "better player" based on that alone.

However, I feel that Sam will really develop into a true leader for the Oilers in the years to come, and possibly wear the "C" in the following years to come.

Rooooooooooxxxanne* is offline   Reply With Quote