HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bad Ice in St. Louis

Old
11-22-2009, 11:25 AM
execwrite

vCash: 500
Bad Ice in St. Louis

We've all heard talk of the poor ice conditions in St. Louis over the years.

During a between periods interview on the Islander broadcast Saturday, Erik Johnson slipped up and said "The ice in St. Louis is never good."

Anyone know what the problem is? How come they can't get the ice fixed in the building?

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 11:53 AM
SteenMachine

I know it's partly the weather making it harder to keep it frozen until we hit the winter months, beyond that it's been a while since I heard any details on the subject.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 12:44 PM
number 77

We've heard this for a while now, I'm not exactly sure what the Blues have done to rectify the situation but I remeber hearing about the blues bringing in an ice guru of sorts to get the problm resolved. If anyone knows more I'd love to hear what they're doing to fix it.

number 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 08:10 PM
STL Fan

If I remember correctly, the ice in the "Old Barn" was pretty good. I can remember going to some games in there and having to dress a bit warmer because it was a bit colder inside. It is a game played on ice. Is there too much comfort (heat wise) given to us in the stands, that is not helping the ice situation?

STL Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 09:15 PM
concept*

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Fan View Post
If I remember correctly, the ice in the "Old Barn" was pretty good. I can remember going to some games in there and having to dress a bit warmer because it was a bit colder inside. It is a game played on ice. Is there too much comfort (heat wise) given to us in the stands, that is not helping the ice situation?
I would agree with that. I remember always bundling up to go to Blues games (or even Sting games), and it's not only because hockey's played in the winter. I thought it was kind of nice, honestly, being able to feel and smell the ice.

concept* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept View Post
I would agree with that. I remember always bundling up to go to Blues games (or even Sting games), and it's not only because hockey's played in the winter. I thought it was kind of nice, honestly, being able to feel and smell the ice.
No kidding! That was a great hockey atmosphere. Yeah there were some downfalls, but on whole that place was amazing to see a game!! Even the parking lot had a pretty sweet atmosphere. The White House bar was a great before and after place as well. I don't feel that same relationship at the Scott.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 08:53 PM
concept*

I felt safer at the old Arena. I don't know if that's because I was young and with my dad or what, but I honestly don't particularly feel safe going to the Scott, nor do I enjoy the parking situation and walking.

Old
11-24-2009, 12:35 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Safe from what? Are you talking about pucks into the crowd?

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 12:39 PM
BergMan
#BackesForSelke

Oh no, Johnson doesn't like STL ice. WE need to fix the ice as a part of a deal to make sure he stays here foreverrrrr.

BergMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 01:09 PM
concept*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Safe from what? Are you talking about pucks into the crowd?
No, just going there, parking, and walking to the arena.

Old
11-24-2009, 02:14 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Fan View Post
I love the new rink/arena and think it looks great, but the warmth/comfort level in there is appalling to we hardcore ICE hockey fans. Although, living up in Chi-Town, I don't get down to Blues games very much (maybe 15 games in the past 15 years.) I know...I suck.....

And while the Savvis/Scotty is very, very nice, it is too warm in there. The Arena was definitely colder, even way up in the nosebleeds, where my dad would drag us. I remember shivering it was so cool sometimes. But I looooved it.

I think the old rink out in Affton is still around. Now that place had awesome ice and it was a little neighborhood rink with little technology. Not sure how the ice is now.

At the All State Arena (where The Chicago Wolves play) it was also very comfortable, meaning, terrible. I was sitting right by the ice and I couldn't even feel it. Also, during the intros they blast these fireworks and huge flame pyrotechnics. I felt a blast of heat with each introduction. That has to be terrible for the ice. And actually, I could see the ice was in bad shape.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 03:06 PM
execwrite

Thanks, I think it must be the temperature in the building.

I remember the old Arena way back in the early 1970s. It was cold in there.

Seems like the Blues are sacrificing ice quality for fan comfort.

Turn down that thermostat fellas.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 07:25 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Thanks, I think it must be the temperature in the building.

I remember the old Arena way back in the early 1970s. It was cold in there.

Seems like the Blues are sacrificing ice quality for fan comfort.

Turn down that thermostat fellas.
I don't see why not, I think just about everyone comes dressed for the cold and ends up shedding at least a coat if not some long sleeves by the time they're settled into their seats.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 02:19 PM
abel17

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
We've all heard talk of the poor ice conditions in St. Louis over the years.

During a between periods interview on the Islander broadcast Saturday, Erik Johnson slipped up and said "The ice in St. Louis is never good."

Anyone know what the problem is? How come they can't get the ice fixed in the building?
I posed this question to JR in his weekly chat and here is the response I got:

Adam: We've all heard talk of the poor ice conditions in St. Louis over the years.

Do you know what the problem is and how come they can't get the ice fixed in the building?

I had thought the Blues had brought in an ice guru of sorts to fix this problem but it still seems as bad as ever. Thanks JR!

Jeremy Rutherford:
Honestly, there are only a few buildings in the league that have good ice. Players complain about the ice EVERYWHERE. But then when you decide to write an article, most of them say that's not really bad, and it's just an excuse.

The ice at Scottrade Center has been a topic every year. I know the league has had their guru come in the past couple of years and work his magic. It doesn't seem like anything has helped. They haven't come up with an answer, so it's hard for me to.

Last edited by abel17: 11-25-2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: reformat
abel17 is offline   Reply With Quote