HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What would it take to get Bobby Ryan?

Old
11-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurisconsult View Post
Nonesense,

MaxPac + AK + SK + 1st would do it... even a bit too much....

(ps. If they truly want to trade him and aren't dead set on him as part of their future)
Why would they do that? I wouldn't trade Markov for that package.

Let's break down that package:

Pacioretty: looks good, but has yet to demonstrate a real scoring touch. There's nothing tangible showing he'll be a first-line player, and there's more evidence pointing to him being a solid citizen in the top-6, able to score 20-25 goals and 30-35 assists while playing strong fundamentals.

A.Kostitsyn: never proven to do more than 2nd line numbers. Proven to be difficult to coach and lacks attention to detail. Rumours of off-ice problems. Not a prototypical Duck player.

S.Kostitsyn: been out of shape for two straight seasons. Huge headache. Not a prototypical Duck player.

1st: crapshoot.

This offer wouldn't even come close.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 02:21 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

It would be hilarious to see Boston trade a TO pick to get Ryan back.

Ryan >>> Kessel

I'd like us to get Ryan but I doubt we have anything Ana wants that we can afford to lose.

FlyingKostitsyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Go Habs Go

Burke will probably throw him an offer sheet of like 6 mil, then Lowe will piss off Burke and send an offer sheet for 10 million dollars!

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 02:25 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleeingKostitsyn View Post
It would be hilarious to see Boston trade a TO pick to get Ryan back.

Ryan >>> Kessel

I'd like us to get Ryan but I doubt we have anything Ana wants that we can afford to lose.
That would be fantastic, give up the 1st overall for Ryan. Damn you Toronto, why did you have to give Boston Taylor Hall...

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 02:37 PM
QuietReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Why would they do that? I wouldn't trade Markov for that package.

Let's break down that package:

Pacioretty: looks good, but has yet to demonstrate a real scoring touch. There's nothing tangible showing he'll be a first-line player, and there's more evidence pointing to him being a solid citizen in the top-6, able to score 20-25 goals and 30-35 assists while playing strong fundamentals.

A.Kostitsyn: never proven to do more than 2nd line numbers. Proven to be difficult to coach and lacks attention to detail. Rumours of off-ice problems. Not a prototypical Duck player.

S.Kostitsyn: been out of shape for two straight seasons. Huge headache. Not a prototypical Duck player.

1st: crapshoot.

This offer wouldn't even come close.
AK: please, i think your sentence should be something like "never proved to be anything LESS than a second liner"

SK: headache yes, out of shape no, amazing stats to show that he has potential to be a player similar to ribero...

1st: crapshoot? i really dont know how you came to this conclusion for me to reply....

Pacioretty: I agree with you.... its a package for 1 player....what do you expect for Ryan? how about Chicago sends Keith, Kane and a 1st for Ryan?

Here is a media scan on his situation (by www.spectorshockey.net). The truth is he is not a lecavalier, cammalleri nor a phil kessel.. he is a very very talented player who is struggling in a team who has other troubles ....

ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER: Randy Youngman reported Sunday there will be no chance the Anaheim Ducks can move goaltender J.S. Giguere unless he starts playing better in his backup role, and suggested forward Bobby Ryan could be trade bait if the club continues to struggle. Eric Stephens reports contract talks between Ryan's agent and the Ducks have broken down and aren't expected to continue in the near future. Agent Mark Guy denied a report the talks were suspended until season's end and didn't rule out returning to negotiations later in the season. Stephens suggests one benchmark in Ryan's contract talks could be Chicago's Kris Versteeg, who's now earning over $3 million per season.

QuietReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Mike8

Quote:
AK: please, i think your sentence should be something like "never proved to be anything LESS than a second liner"
That's implied, and it's not a terribly impressive feat either.

Quote:
SK: headache yes, out of shape no, amazing stats to show that he has potential to be a player similar to ribero...
What amazing stats? His less than point-per-game stats in the AHL?

Out of shape: yes. It was a problem last season and was again this season. This is not heresy: it was an issue coaches had with him.

Quote:
1st: crapshoot? i really dont know how you came to this conclusion for me to reply....
Based on the fact that 1st rounders don't have tremendous odds of even making the NHL, much less becoming a force. Perhaps that's how I came to this conclusion. Maybe I didn't even come to this conclusion. Maybe it's fact.

Quote:
Pacioretty: I agree with you.... its a package for 1 player....what do you expect for Ryan? how about Chicago sends Keith, Kane and a 1st for Ryan?
I told you what I expect: that he's not traded.

He fits precisely what Anaheim is building their franchise to be. There is no motivation to trade him. It'd be the equivalent of Pacioretty exceeding our expectations and becoming a big, fast, 40 goal scorer, then thinking we should trade him for a group of young players, unproven players, and a draft pick. Why in the world would Montreal do that when Pacioretty would be fulfilling everything Montreal has long sought?

Quote:
Here is a media scan on his situation (by www.spectorshockey.net). The truth is he is not a lecavalier, cammalleri nor a phil kessel.. he is a very very talented player who is struggling in a team who has other troubles ....
No? Not Cammalleri or Kessel? I suppose you're right, since he was only on pace for 39 goals in his rookie season.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Jigger77

We'd need to give up a lot to get him. He's get here, get a PPG, then would break his foot or get a major cut on his leg.

Not worth it.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Contract talks with him and Anaheim have broken off and he might be trade bait or someone may offer him a ''sheet'' come the summer.

He's a 6'2'', 218 pound right wing player that had 31 goals and 57 points in 64 games last season!

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=76888

If we land him, we have 3 of the top 5 picks from the 2005 NHL entry draft.

- Ryan
- Pouliot
- Price

I can see a top six of:

Pacioretty - Leblanc - Ryan
Pouliot - Maxwell - Kristo
The only problem is it would cost Price to get Ryan.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 02:50 PM
onice

vCash: 50
What would it take to get Bobby Ryan?

Jacques Martin in a teddy spread provocatively next to a sleeping Bobby.

And a very quiet photographer.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 03:07 PM
Dave Id Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphrates View Post
here's a nice article on aka 'bobby ryan'

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3782270
Whoa. This is a great article, I didn't know about his story. It would make a nice Disney movie...

Dave Id Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 03:12 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Absurd.

This topic is a non-starter. There's nothing Anaheim would want from Montreal for him.
Totally agreed. I don't see why any little story like this opens up the trade proposal floodgates. Ryan is within his rights to look at some of the contracts other good young players have recently received coming off his ELC. The Ducks are within their rights to want to wait and see what he does this year. Well not just "within rights" at this point, both sides are actually eminently sensible to wait and see.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 03:31 PM
InglewoodJack

Only if he's packages with a player who's name starts with S and ends with aku Koivu.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Habs

Build from the goaltender out gentlemen, goaltender out. That's why Gainey traded Ribs for Niinnimmmmmma. He's a genuis, A GENIUS!

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 03:48 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by newromanceforkids View Post
B. Ryan
JS Giguere

FOR

2nd round pick
the K. Brothers
Halak

They dump salary with Giguere (+1 for them)
We Gain his salary (-1 for us)

We gain Ryan (+1 for us)
they get a 2nd round + the Bros (even)
+1 youpi is happy ...

unfair trade.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 11:28 AM
euphrates

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
its his real name?
did you read the article? Bobby Stevenson is his real name

euphrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 11:28 AM
euphrates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Id Bee View Post
Whoa. This is a great article, I didn't know about his story. It would make a nice Disney movie...
i agree!!

euphrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 11:37 AM
JrHockeyFan

Ryan used to be a big forward whose skating really was below average. The biggest change in this kid is that he has become an average to above average skater for his size.

No way the Ducks deal this kid, even if you made a fair offer. Players of size that can play and skate are not all that common. Besides he fits the style the Ducks play too well

Love to have him, but no way it happens via trades

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 10:27 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Bobby Ryan

I keep reading this guy may be available because he's looking for a payraise, dunno if there's any truth to it or if that's the reason he's available but would it be crazy to suggest a leaf-bruin-kessel type of proposal for a guy like that? obviously we'd have to shed salary but he's a goal scorer with a lot of upside and can be part of our core going forward.

Personally, if we can shed salary in forwards and keep andrei-plek-cam I'd probably do it and it's not that out of whack to consider it, everyone says he could be available. Only reason is cuz I believe this guy will be a star, 31 goals first year, on pace for 35 this year and he's 22.

This isn't by any means a "our team isn't good enough" type of thread, just saying, if you can have a shot at acquiring a young guy(with size) who can be a star you consider it, no?

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 10:42 PM
le_sean

I highly doubt he is available. But if he is, then I would trade anyone besides Price and Markov.

If they are looking to cut salary the Habs would have to throw the Brothers, Subban and a first or two.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 10:46 PM
Hermamoud

I doubt the Canadiens are in a good position to renegociate a lucrative Kessel-like contract for Bobby Ryan when they have Plekanec and Price to re-sign this off-season.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 10:49 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
I doubt the Canadiens are in a good position to renegociate a lucrative Kessel-like contract for Bobby Ryan when they have Plekanec and Price to re-sign this off-season.
I think kessel proved more than Ryan though, but not by that much.

Old
11-26-2009, 11:01 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I think kessel proved more than Ryan though, but not by that much.
I would disagree. Kessel had already been in the league two years and finally broke out whereas Ryan had a better PPG Ratio and was a rookie.

Either way, Ryan will get a ridiculous amount of money for a young player.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 11:28 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I would disagree. Kessel had already been in the league two years and finally broke out whereas Ryan had a better PPG Ratio and was a rookie.

Either way, Ryan will get a ridiculous amount of money for a young player.
Kessel made the team at 18 and got drafted a year after Ryan. He's done pretty well if you ask me. Last year, he broke out, but was in a dif age class than ryan. They are similar, as they are both goal scorers but I think kessel, for now may merit more money. Maybe it's a better market, more exposure thing. Not sure.

Old
11-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Taupy

Subban, AK46, Max Pac and 1st 2010?

Seems like a lot from our POV, but I'm sure from their POV it would be bad.

Taupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 12:27 AM
andreconstantin

Send a message via Skype™ to andreconstantin
Pacioretty, Maxwell and a first round pick in 2010

andreconstantin is offline   Reply With Quote